Melbourne Football

Melbourne City vs Pascoe Vale 23/9/14

InMyHeart

We had a shit load of possession and no final product.

Well that would be a pretty standard match report for us. Is Willo injured, he doesn't seem to have had much game time.

I've been wondering about Williams. He hasn't played a match for a couple of weeks. Did he train before Family Day on Sunday? Given that Villa is yet to arrive, and Kennedy (assuming) probably won't arrive until December/January, we're going to need the likes of Williams to chip in with goals in the first part of next season.

Waiting on a detailed match report. Scorelines and Twitter updates can be so misleading. Going off all I've heard though, it sounds like the team dominated possession from the off, despite the team being pretty much thrown together for this game. Brown reportedly peppered the goal for most of the game, and the goal came before HT with Retre scoring after the keeper batted away a shot from Brown. Paartalu played 45 minutes, and was reportedly solid. And then in the second half it was more of the same, dominating possession with shots now and again. Although the forward line of Retre, Brown and Dekker, and then some other trialists in the second half, couldn't get through Pascoe Vale's stubborn defence, which was apparently about the best in the NPLV. And that just shows something we already knew: that the likes of Retre, Brown and Dekker altogether won't cut it at A-League level, and we'll need to have some superior forwards come the start of the season.

MATCH REPORT: Melbourne City FC 1-0 Pascoe Vale

Tuesday, 23 September 2014

A youthful and experimental Melbourne City FC outfit accounted for National Premier Leagues Victoria (NPLV) side Pascoe Vale 1-0 at Epping Soccer Stadium on Tuesday night.

Paulo Retre claimed the winner seconds into added time in the first half, with the 21-year-old knocking home a rebound following a stinging drive from James Brown.

The match attracted a crowd of approximately 2000 on a balmy Tuesday night in Melbourne as John van’t Schip fielded a number of first-team players, alongside youth-team hopefuls.

Van’t Schip also handed Erik Paartalu his debut for Melbourne City FC, and the defensive midfielder registered his first 45 minutes after joining the Club last week.

Following the opening 20 minutes, in which Melbourne City FC created a flowing rhythm and controlled the match tempo, van’t Schip’s side started to create a number of meaningful opportunities.

The first opportunity fell to Hernan Espindola for the home side, following Andrew Mullet’s cut-back following a corner, but Espindola swiped at his effort and it sailed waywardly over the bar on the 24-minute mark.

Pascoe Vale sat deep and implemented an impressive defensive structure, but nearly caught Melbourne with a swift following a rare move forward.

Luca Santilli broke through the midfield for the visitors, slipping a ball behind the Melbourne City FC defence which forced goalkeeper Tando Velaphi to commit.

While the Melbourne City FC ‘keeper appeared to beat his opponent and clear the ball, he was penalised by a free-kick on the edge of the area, before the resulting free-kick was cleared after striking the wall.

Espindola then had another chance cleared off the line on the half-hour mark, before Retre had a shot on goal palmed clear by Sardelic three minutes later.

A nice combination between Jacob Melling and James Brown saw Melling shoot low and wide of the target, before a swift move from defence to attack saw Brown cut in from the left and shoot on his right, but his effort flew over the bar.

Espindola then had a second effort cleared off the line following another combination play from Hoffman and Melling, as Pascoe Vale defended valiantly.

But Pascoe Vale’s defence was finally breached just after the clock ticked into added time in the first half, as Brown again proved a nuisance, firing in a shot from distance.

Sardelic parried the stinging effort from distance, and Retre was quickest to react, powering in the rebound as the ‘keeper scampered to recover in goal.

Melbourne City FC threatened to cut Pascoe Vale open again early in the second half, as Brown threaded Petreski through, with the latter delivering a low ball across the face of goal, but a sliding Wade Dekker just missed the crucial touch.

Melling then had an effort beaten away by Sardelic seven minutes after the break, Retre dragged another shot wide, before Brown curled another effort just over the crossbar.

As the match drew to a close, Pascoe Vale threatened late, forcing a great save from Velaphi, but Retre's sole first-half strike proved the difference at full time.

Match Details

Pre-Season Friendly

Tuesday 23 September 2014

Melbourne City FC 1 (Paulo Retre 45+1’)

Pascoe Vale 0

Epping Soccer Stadium

Melbourne City FC: 20. Tando Velaphi (GK), 2. Phillip Petreski (T) (19. Tyler James (T) 77’), 5. Erik Paartalu (22. Nick Kalmar 46’), 9. Wade Dekker (T), 14. James Brown, 16. Nick Symeoy (T), 17. Jason Hoffman (28. Stefan Zinni (T) 67’), 18. Paulo Retre, 21. Hernan Espindola (T) (10. Luka Prelevic (T) 46’),  25. Jacob Melling, (27. Matt Millar (T) 67’), 26. Andrew Mullet (T)

Substitutes: 1. Marko Stevanja (GK)

Yellow Cards: Nil

Red Cards: Nil

Pascoe Vale SC: 1. Stefan Sardelic GK) (1. Yaren Soler (GK) 56’),   2. Adrian Talarico, 3. Nathan Megic, 7. Luca Santilli, 8. Joseph Youseff, 9. Souheil Nisahli (6. Anthony Taranto, 64’), 13. Matthew Lazarides, 15. Mark Pistininzi, 16. Marco Santilli (11. Andrew Scillina 80’), 20. Ali Eyigun, 22. Carl Recchia

Substitutes: 4. Liam O’Connell, 5. Joel Grech, 14. Ale Verrati

Yellow Cards: Nil

Red Cards: Nil

http://www.melbournecityfc.com.au/article/match-report-melbourne-city-fc-1-0--pascoe-vale/pxzc252xiuet1gfl27mwrig88

Edited by Murfy1

We had a shit load of possession and no final product.

Well that would be a pretty standard match report for us. Is Willo injured, he doesn't seem to have had much game time.

I've been wondering about Williams. He hasn't played a match for a couple of weeks. Did he train before Family Day on Sunday? Given that Villa is yet to arrive, and Kennedy (assuming) probably won't arrive until December/January, we're going to need the likes of Williams to chip in with goals in the first part of next season.

Waiting on a detailed match report. Scorelines and Twitter updates can be so misleading. Going off all I've heard though, it sounds like the team dominated possession from the off, despite the team being pretty much thrown together for this game. Brown reportedly peppered the goal for most of the game, and the goal came before HT with Retre scoring after the keeper batted away a shot from Brown. Paartalu played 45 minutes, and was reportedly solid. And then in the second half it was more of the same, dominating possession with shots now and again. Although the forward line of Retre, Brown and Dekker, and then some other trialists in the second half, couldn't get through Pascoe Vale's stubborn defence, which was apparently about the best in the NPLV. And that just shows something we already knew: that the likes of Retre, Brown and Dekker altogether won't cut it at A-League level, and we'll need to have some superior forwards come the start of the season.

I thought in the first half they probably took that one pass too many when they could have taken a good shot earlier. Towards the end of the first half (the goal) and through the second half, they started to shoot more, with Brown, Prelevic and Melling all having a dip and coming close - though the Pascoe Vale defence did sat back more.

Brown looked dangerous and certainly has a great turn of speed when he uses it, but also in a game like this, he really did need to hit the scoreboard. Melling looked ok and the Hoff was good too. Velaphi wasn't called on often, but did a good job when needed - including one really fine save to deny an equaliser.

I just think it wasn't a game to really take that much out of given our team was stacked with triallists and guys not in the starting XI.

• Like 1

Hoff, Brown and Melling the clear standouts ok the pitch, but then so they should have been.

Thought we actually played some really nice stuff in close for the most part. We did appear to try to walk the ball into the net too and probably should have won by a clear three goals if not for profligacy and some good defending on the line.

• Like 2

I dont think people should be concerned with the lack of goals. It was very clear who was a far better team and really thats what you would expect against an NPL side. Probably the thing I liked the most was when we lost possession we really swarmed and pressed hard to get the ball back. It was definitly an aggressive approach and here is hoping the senior team play in the same way  

Pretty much a standard high intensity training session. Was great to see Paartalu play a solid 45mins. I think he live up to the high expectations come season proper. Hoffman was very dominant, which he should have been, in contrast, Brown, Retre and Melling were didn't dominate and against players of this level they should have. Kalmar played a typical game. For me Prelevic looked interesting, had some good moments and may develop.

Stand out for me was the numbers that ventured out to Epping. From a guess was around 1500 to 2000. If we played a friendly against another A league team and with a free entrance with similar weather 4k really possible. Why doesn't this happen.

Season nearly here really hopeful of good times ahead, but not confident.

Pretty much a standard high intensity training session. Was great to see Paartalu play a solid 45mins. I think he live up to the high expectations come season proper. Hoffman was very dominant, which he should have been, in contrast, Brown, Retre and Melling were didn't dominate and against players of this level they should have. Kalmar played a typical game. For me Prelevic looked interesting, had some good moments and may develop.

Stand out for me was the numbers that ventured out to Epping. From a guess was around 1500 to 2000. If we played a friendly against another A league team and with a free entrance with similar weather 4k really possible. Why doesn't this happen.

Season nearly here really hopeful of good times ahead, but not confident.

I will be the first to admit that I don't know much at all about the intricacies of football tactics and ways of playing,but I thought melling retre and brown all had good games. Particularly when we lost the ball, all three swarmed and harassed the pascoe vale players. In fact Paartalu didn't have to do much because of melling and retre harassing and pressing further up. I actually think that this is how JVS is going to play this year, pressing by the attakers and advanced midfielders and having Paartalu sit behind it to mop up and start plays again.

Anywho that's what I noticed from last night and it all did seem like a glorified training run.

Edited by Dylan
  • Like 1

Something is missing from our club, we've had talented players since season 2, but can never put it together.

It's all about management culture. At least three players have admitted it.

All we are seeing this pre-season is the same old Heart but painted up using a different colour palette.

I've heard all the arguments about the trip to Manchester, the upgrades at La Trobe, the signings, the guest player (so far just a ghost player) etc. etc. blah, blah blah. But in reality nothing has changed. CFG have made one fatal decision, and that is not to change the management at HQ. Until that is done we will endure the same old shit I'm afraid.

• Like 2

Something is missing from our club, we've had talented players since season 2, but can never put it together.

All we are seeing this pre-season is the same old Heart but painted up using a different colour palette.

I've heard all the arguments about the trip to Manchester, the upgrades at La Trobe, the signings, the guest player (so far just a ghost player) etc. etc. blah, blah blah. But in reality nothing has changed. CFG have made one fatal decision, and that is not to change the management at HQ. Until that is done we will endure the same old shit I'm afraid. +1

I've heard all the arguments about the trip to Manchester, the upgrades at La Trobe, the signings, the guest player (so far just a ghost player) etc. etc. blah, blah blah. But in reality nothing has changed. CFG have made one fatal decision, and that is not to change the management at HQ. Until that is done we will endure the same old shit I'm afraid.

Very valid points, but we still have a season that hasn't begun so we shall see what happens

Judging by the team that was out there last night, and the overall quality of the play that was achieved, it was a good outcome.

Playing against teams that have parked the bus is good practice for us to play through it. To win those kinds of games, with a weakened team, is still a good outcome.

We need squad depth, and thats what this match was about.

• Like 1