Melbourne Football

The Erik Paartalu Thread

kingofhearts

Could go either way. Return the beast we hoped he'd be or we won't see him again. 

Main issue for me this should of occurred 15 games ago. 

We're  also way too reactive to form issues and most times that worsens the situation. 

As soon as a player isn't performing needs to be dropped(even if the replacement is less quality ).

Everyone has to earn a start.

I agree with you but with the caveat that our injury toll really deprives the club of replacements. I can accept a couple of players being injured in any given week but we usually have at least half a dozen.

I agree with you but with the caveat that our injury toll really deprives the club of replacements. I can accept a couple of players being injured in any given week but we usually have at least half a dozen.

very true. At some point last year we had bring some players for single games. 

Don't know if anyone else noticed at the end o the Victory game, Paartalu talking with Berisha. Ex-Roar obviously- but when they were talking Paartalu was saying something under his breath to Berisha about Kisnorbo who was standing behind him... Was weird. That, added to Paartalu's history and him whining last year a bit makes me think he's a bit disruptive and I reckon JVS has had enough of it. 

That could be drawing a looooong bow, but that's my take on it. That- and that he's really not very good anymore. 

With this season and then two more on his contract still to run...this is going to be interesting. TBH I don't think Erik has lived up to expectations ever since arriving, although we won't forget his injury-time winner in last year's Christmas Derby in a hurry.

So, at 29 will he stick around and see out his time with us or will he try to move on - or indeed be moved on?

Don't know if anyone else noticed at the end o the Victory game, Paartalu talking with Berisha. Ex-Roar obviously- but when they were talking Paartalu was saying something under his breath to Berisha about Kisnorbo who was standing behind him... Was weird. That, added to Paartalu's history and him whining last year a bit makes me think he's a bit disruptive and I reckon JVS has had enough of it. 

That could be drawing a looooong bow, but that's my take on it. That- and that he's really not very good anymore. 

How were you hearing what he was saying?

• Like 1

You should write for Neighbours.

• Like 3

Haha- clearly I couldn't hear hat he was saying, but it was dead obvious he was speaking about Kisnorbo as he pointed behind at him when he was talking to Berisha and Berisha was leaning in to hear him. Paartalu's spikey hair is annoying enough to get him a gig on Neighbours 

Can't win. I loved that Paartalu would at least call a spade a spade and say when our performances were unacceptable.

Kisnorbo is just not that sort of player and JVS obviously isn't that sort of coach. Aloisi never bagged players publicly until his own job was on life support and he stated the obvious: that (for all his faults) he can't kick the goals from the sideline. 

Even though he was visibly gutted in the post-match last night, Kisnorbo wasn't bagging anyone out publicly and the interviewer (was it Zappone?) didn't give him the obvious follow-up question to the "We learned a valuable lesson tonight" response, which would be to ask how many times that particular lesson will need to be given to our players? Nothing else has worked: maybe it's time to call out a few players publicly.

the greatest revelation to dawn on humanity since John. the crusade of vigilance and competence -- the sinister trait of a forgotten talent, under the all-reaching, all-seeing eye of the heartless one -- it is under this black, shadowing umbrella that casts Erik into the black hole of ineffectual beauty.

the legend becomes myth.

myth becomes forgotten.

the greatest revelation to dawn on humanity since John. the crusade of vigilance and competence -- the sinister trait of a forgotten talent, under the all-reaching, all-seeing eye of the heartless one -- it is under this black, shadowing umbrella that casts Erik into the black hole of ineffectual beauty.

the legend becomes myth.

myth becomes forgotten.

"Strider, has the weight loss tape reduced your appetite?"

Strider answers: "Ah, lamentably no. My gastronomic rapacity knows no satieties."

• Like 2

Melbourne City midfielder Erik Paartalu says being dropped helped him mature

November 9, 2015

David Davutovic

MELBOURNE City midfielder Erik Paartalu said his unexpected axing has seen him mature, but admitted that the team would need to keep winning if he wanted to retain his spot.

Paartalu was recalled for last week’s win over Adelaide United just as surprisingly as he was axed after the 3-2 derby loss to Melbourne Victory in Round 2.

Like captain Patrick Kisnorbo, who was also dropped for the FFA Cup semi-final loss to Perth Glory, Paartalu scored on his return to the first XI when he headed home the opener in last Thursday’s 4-2 win at Adelaide United.

Paartalu will take on added responsibility when City hosts Western Sydney on Friday night at AAMI Park with star midfielder Aaron Mooy away on Socceroos duty.

After being banished from the squad for three games by coach John van’t Schip, Paartalu said everyone was on edge.

“My initial response was shock and disappointment but these things happen and you need to take positives out of it. I feel I matured as a player in those few weeks, I did all the right things and tried to impress everyone,’’ Paartalu said.

“If we keep playing well and getting results then we can see more of a stable side at Melbourne City. If results don’t go our way there will probably be changes.

“It’s frustrating to sit out of football games, but that’s part of the job, sometimes you have to live with hard decisions. That was just one I’ve faced in my career, but I’ve come out of the other side and was positive about it.

“When I got dropped, JVS spoke to me and just said I wasn’t travelling, it was a hard decision to take for me, I was disappointed. I understand it’s a team game and he’s the coach and I’ve got to respect his decisions but I want to be a part of every game that I can.

“It’s always nice to get on the scoresheet, first goal against Adelaide so another one checked off the list.’’

Attacker Corey Gameiro is in line to return after rolling his ankle ahead of last week’s game, while defender Aaron Hughes (unused sub) and winger Harry Novillo, who made a great impact off the bench, are a chance to start.

Paartalu said a home win was important to galvanise the fans, after a frustrating display against Newcastle Jets last home outing.

“We want to get as many supporters as we can, I was sitting in the stands for the first two home games and the crowds were a bit low, so hopefully a good result in Adelaide helps,’’ he said.

“Our game plan and the way we set out, we were a bit too strong for them (Adelaide) going forward, we played to our strengths.

“The Wanderers are completely different (to last year), they’ve got a lot of power and strength in their attacking players.

“I played with Mitch Nichols before and he’s the key man for them, with the likes of Dario Vidosic and Fedrico Piovaccari. They seem, to be gelling quite well and creating chances, and they’ve got solidarity at the back. It’s our most difficult home game so far.’’

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/football/a-league/aleague-melbourne-city-midfielder-erik-paartalu-says-being-dropped-helped-him-mature/news-story/b3a7d1c72d25ef306865e859b79cc758

I'm pretty bullish about his importance to the team. To the knockers - I would ask what you would see as a good game from him? In terms of protecting the back four, breaking up play in midfield, man-marking opposition attacking miss, playing out from interceptions and using his height he does really, quite genuinely well. 

Not sure we'll ever see him create chances or anything flashy at all. And I'm okay with that. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, kingofhearts said:

He was still pretty average last week tbh. Don't know if he is a good player or if he was just a product of Ange's system when he was playing up in Brisbane.

Yes. He only made 8 clearances, 1 goal block, 6 intercepts, the most touches and passes in the team and accidentally pushed his way through a pack of Adelaide players to nod on a perfectly made goal by Aaron Mooy. Clearly he didn't actually contribute to the goal at all or the result because he was pretty average.

As morphine says, I think he does so much more than he is given credit for and most people don't actually know what the role of a DM is.

I think Erik's been mostly poor this season which is obvious given he got dropped, but his game against Adelaide was really good and what I'd expect from a player of his calibre who is on the deal that he currently is.

Melling is a fucking beast but he's still raw, whereas Paartalu when he's in form brings a lot more poise and class. Both need to work on their short passing games though.

1 hour ago, Ray said:

Yes. He only made 8 clearances, 1 goal block, 6 intercepts, the most touches and passes in the team and accidentally pushed his way through a pack of Adelaide players to nod on a perfectly made goal by Aaron Mooy. Clearly he didn't actually contribute to the goal at all or the result because he was pretty average.

As morphine says, I think he does so much more than he is given credit for and most people don't actually know what the role of a DM is.

Agree with you Ray. He's similar in a way to Kisnorbo. We want a faultless player but if he was he wouldn't be in the A League. 

The only thing that frustrates me is when he's playing that forward pass he is pretty hit and miss. 

His work rate was noticeably better and was better positioned last week. 

Regardless also without Mooy this week he's a guaranteed starter. Question is will he play as well as last week or not?

22 minutes ago, Jovan said:

Agree with you Ray. He's similar in a way to Kisnorbo. We want a faultless player but if he was he wouldn't be in the A League. 

The only thing that frustrates me is when he's playing that forward pass he is pretty hit and miss. 

His work rate was noticeably better and was better positioned last week. 

Regardless also without Mooy this week he's a guaranteed starter. Question is will he play as well as last week or not?

I think both Kisnorbo and Paartalu have some fantastic qualities. But I've been critical of both especially Kisnorbo because of that precise reason Jovan. We can't afford our centre back and DM to be hit and miss with forward passing. There is no reason why we can't get a player that's physically strong and that is superior with the ball at his feet. Im not talking about a faultless player because that's impossible at this level. Someone simply with less limitations in their game. 

I disagree with many above.  I don't think he has the qualities now as a 6 to create sustained success for us.  I think a good 6 is such a linchpin in any team and critical to success at any level. 

My concerns are:

His fitness - a good 6 has to run the whole game and have elite levels of fitness to cover the back four at all times.  I think this is really hard for someone of his size frame and his fitness has been questionable since he joined us.  He's often caught out of position and has difficulty recovering.  His ability to push up the park with the 8 dropping in is really poor - he just can't sustain anything.

His passing - an ability to complete passes is crucial from the point of view that the passes are often made deeper on the park - any turnover is far more costly.  He simply turns the ball over way too deeply - in fact it's embarrassing this year and hence why he was dropped.

His mongrel  - I think he's too passive.  A 6 has to take the team yellow to protect the back four when everyone's out of shape.  I just don't see him doing these mongrel acts at times when clearly called for.  I also actually think his tackling is pretty poor for a 6 - a quality that is crucial.

His vision - the best 6s can spot the game breaking pass to open up an opposition defence if possible.  I've never seen him do this and I don't know if he can.  His offensive assets are poor. 

His history - whilst a good history at Brisbane in the A league, did anyone see him in the ACL when with Brisbane?  For all of the above he was a disaster against better opposition in big games.  From memory Brisbane did not win an ACL game when he was there.

Whilst we all think of guys like Yaya Toure , Matic, even Coquelin from the EPL alone, do good 6s appear in the A-league?  Putting our hate for other teams aside, names like Milligan (when deep), Brattan, Valeri, even Mooy when deep spring to mind.  Good players with the ability to create havoc both ways and the ability to concentrate for a whole game.. 

Paartalu is so off the mark in my mind.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Ray said:

How about the 5 passes (just the ones I counted, was probably more) during the game he fucked up? (Including one ball where he couldnt even hit melling even though he wasn't under pressure and passed the ball out of bounds)

How about the turnover as well we he was stripped by Goodwin I believe and nearly cost us a goal through another fuckup?are we just going to ignore these points? Or just focus on the good points instead?

FWIW I thought he actually played alright against Adelaide last week but alright doesn't cut it especially when we have melling who has already shown to be more then capable as a DM.

Defib has made a pretty good post imo summing up my issues with him.

16 hours ago, morphine said:

I'm pretty bullish about his importance to the team. To the knockers - I would ask what you would see as a good game from him? In terms of protecting the back four, breaking up play in midfield, man-marking opposition attacking miss, playing out from interceptions and using his height he does really, quite genuinely well. 

Not sure we'll ever see him create chances or anything flashy at all. And I'm okay with that. 

For mine, the most important thing is for him to shield that back 4 and then offer an outlet from defence. If he can do these things well, then he has had a good game.

I've been massively critical of him the past two seasons because i believe he has really failed in these aspects. I have likened him to a sieve at times, because opposition midfielders have been able to get by him as if he was a traffic cone and expose that back 4 badly. Also, he has often been caught out of position, whether too far up the pitch or in the middle of nowhere. I think defbrillator has said it all really well above.

The aerial threat is a huge plus he possesses, but is more of an added bonus. So if he can improve the defensive duties, he can really become a great asset for us.

I hope this does happen, though hearing that he has already 'matured' is a bit of a concern, i must admit. 

Edited by rass

I don't know that we should be focussing so much on Erik, or indeed any one individual defender. I reckon the performances and results this season just show how porous our whole defence is. We're conceding and average of two goals per game, and no team does that and wins a trophy.

2 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

I don't know that we should be focussing so much on Erik, or indeed any one individual defender. I reckon the performances and results this season just show how porous our whole defence is. We're conceding and average of two goals per game, and no team does that and wins a trophy.

I think the fact he's be signed on a four year deal (longer then any other player at the club currently) and hasnt really showed so far that he has deserved it has been the reason for myself anyway why people are so critical of him.