Melbourne Football

The Erik Paartalu Thread

kingofhearts

We are losing games so let's blame every Tom, dick and Harry under the sun even though our back four plus goal keeper suck donkey balls.

Paartalu is copping an undeserved wack for incompetent lb and rb including a goal keeper who hasn't pulled our a ripper of a save since he was probably in diapers. We are shit purely on players such as Hoffman, Ramsay, redmayne, murdocca, duganzic and Williams who always skies his shots.

He probably gets pulled from matches cause there is no there place to put someone as shite as retre other than dm. He is never happy getting benched if you watch him as he gets subbed.

• Like 1

We are losing games so let's blame every Tom, dick and Harry under the sun even though our back four plus goal keeper suck donkey balls.

Paartalu is copping an undeserved wack for incompetent lb and rb including a goal keeper who hasn't pulled our a ripper of a save since he was probably in diapers. We are shit purely on players such as Hoffman, Ramsay, redmayne, murdocca, duganzic and Williams who always skies his shots.

He probably gets pulled from matches cause there is no there place to put someone as shite as retre other than dm. He is never happy getting benched if you watch him as he gets subbed.

Bad bad grammar that is what happens when you write something tanked

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I thought that when Mauk came on we had much better energy in the midfield with the three of Mooy, Melling and Mauk

Would like to see them given a run in the team

Thsi may sound crazy to most fo you.....but do you think Paartalu could play as a centre forward? He has the height and the ability in the air. Although he doesn't have much pace he still may be able to do a job there.

I thought that when Mauk came on we had much better energy in the midfield with the three of Mooy, Melling and Mauk

Would like to see them given a run in the team

Thsi may sound crazy to most fo you.....but do you think Paartalu could play as a centre forward? He has the height and the ability in the air. Although he doesn't have much pace he still may be able to do a job there.

Would definitely be an interesting move not sure if he has the dribbling skills or finishing (would still probably be about the same as Willo's finishing) but would be able to bring the ball down to ground at the very least. 

was lazy today. played shithouse

That's how he ended at Roar.

Also when he played for Roar in the Asian Champions League he looked outclassed to me and appeared slow and lumbering.

And we've gone and signed him on a 4 years deal. 

Just hope squad sizes are increased and there are significant increases to the salary cap and  number of players outside the cap allowed to be signed so if you sign a player

to a 4 years deal, which is common overseas, and the player doesn't perform, it won't be a disaster.

Edited by Parrot

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Asian Cup 2015: Socceroos confident they would get job done if final goes to penalties

DAVID DAVUTOVIC

JANUARY 30, 2015

IT’S been dubbed a lottery, but a Cup final penalty shoot-out is the ultimate test of confidence and nerves.

A spurned scoring chance, a late goal, cramp or a barnstorming run can all be factors in deciding who steps up.

The greats step up but they don’t always score, such as Italy legend Roberto Baggio in the 1994 World Cup final.

Socceroos captain Mile Jedinak is chief penalty taker for club and country and remained confident if Saturday night’s final was decided by spot kicks.

“I’ve had a bit of experience. Most of the time it’s down to whoever’s most confident and you’re hoping that your keeper steps up,’’ Jedinak said.

“If it gets to that point, I have no doubt that we’re going to be in a good position if it goes to that, but we’ll try and get the job done before that.’’

Melbourne City midfielder Eric Paartalu helped Socceroos boss Ange Postecoglou win his first A-League title in 2011.

He said his 120th minute equaliser gave him the confidence to step up in the shoot-out, where he scored along with current Socceroos duo Ivan Franjic and Matt McKay.

“I just felt so confident having scored that goal late. If I didn’t then I wouldn’t have felt so confident stepping up,’’ Paartalu said.

“At the final whistle I went to Ange and said I want to take one and four or five others put their hand up, then Rado Vidosic (assistant coach) came up and asked what order and we delegated from there.

“I wouldn’t take a penalty during a game but in shoot out I feel like if I didn’t take one I would regret it.

“Ever since I was a kid I practised taking a penalty the same way - the way I put the ball down, number of steps, run up, direction.

“Someone like Henrique (former Brisbane teammate) likes to watch the keeper. In a shoot-out most boys would pick a spot and go for it.’’

Postecoglou said the Socceroos have practiced penalties at training since finishing the group stage, but it was impossible to replicate the pressure.

“From personal experience, and I’ve taken one in a grand final, you can practice them all you like but I’ve seen guys practice the day before and miss everyone, then score on the day,’’ he said.

“Equally I’ve seen them score every one the day before with their eyes closed and miss them on game day.’’

Paartalu said if scores were deadlocked late in the game, coach’s decisions could be made with an eye on penalties.

“Coach’s have to try not to take their best penalty takers off, it’s happened before,’’ he said.

“It won’t be going through Ange’s mind early, he’ll be on the front foot, but late on it could.

“Ange is the type of character to keep everyone calm and if they get to penalties he’ll make the players confident.’’

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/football/asian-cup-2015-socceroos-confident-they-would-get-job-done-if-final-goes-to-penalties/story-fnqk652f-1227202749492

• 4 weeks later...

What do ppl think of re-inventing Erik as a CB for next season?

Can see the line of thinking and must admit, I quite like it.

Obviously competent in the air and more assured with the feet than Patty.

His lack of pace would be a concern, but then again I think it actually is at the moment also...  and this move would enable a more mobile player to sit in that position in front of the back 4, hence allowing them to get up the pitch more.

• 2 weeks later...