Melbourne Football

The Erik Paartalu Thread

kingofhearts

• 3 weeks later...

PAARTALU DELIGHTED TO PUT ASIAN NIGHTMARE BEHIND HIM

October 16 2015

David Lewis

Erik Paartalu believes his move from Thailand to Melbourne City will help him prolong a career that was in danger of being undermined in Asia.

Paartalu, who will make his City home debut against Newcastle Jets at AAMI Park on Sunday, still flinches when he recalls a fraught and frenetic eight months with leading Thai team Muangthong United.

While his performances impressed, the Socceroos midfielder claims player welfare in Asia is almost non-existent as coaches, and even meddling club presidents, often impose unsustainable workloads.

The former Brisbane Roar talisman, who had an 11-month spell with Chinese Super League Tianjin Teda before heading to Thailand, said: "If I had stayed in Asia much longer I am convinced my career would have been significantly shortened.

"By returning it will reinvigorate me and hopefully take me to a new level.

"In Asia generally, though it may differ in Japan, they just don't look after you at all. You train every day endlessly and there is no thought process behind it other than 'we'll train you more because you didn’t play well at the weekend'.

"They will smash you at every opportunity … it's an old-school mentality there and, in terms of sports science, Australia is also on a different level."

Paartalu even experienced interference from Muangthong's club president, who imposed his own strict training regimes by pulling rank on his coaching staff.

"The club employed people to help out with sports science but then the president [Ravi Lohtong] comes in saying you have to train six days a week, for two hours every session, because the other staff members work nine-to-five and we should work just as hard as them. It was unbelievable."

The 28 year-old, who joined City in mid-September on a four-year contract, said being given a day off was a near impossibility - even though the club has barely played in the past six weeks due to the national team's calendar.

"You go to Asia for the experience and maybe to make a bit more money but I don't think any Australian player would make a long career there unless, perhaps, at a good club in Japan," he added.

"City was a good fit for me. This club is going through the roof in terms of what they are trying to achieve … if there was ever a team in Australia you wanted to be at long term this is the one.

"Knowing the club's connections [with Manchester City], the facilities, the players the staff, it will prolong my career being here.”

Having made his debut in last weekend’s 1-1 draw at Sydney FC, Paartalu said instant success at the reinvigorated club is far from guaranteed.

A two-time title winner with Brisbane, he senses a similar hunger in the City camp, explaining: "At Brisbane it was something special but since then the competition has got stronger across the board and the sort of domination we had might not be seen again.

"I don’t see any club running away with the league over the next couple of seasons. We have to keep believing and trying to meet the expectations of us.

"We have star names in David Villa and Damien Duff.

"It's unbelievable even to sit in the same change room as Villa but we have to use him correctly. We can't just try to feed him and expect him to do the rest.

"He has to be integrated into the team and there's much more to come from him and us as a club."

Paartalu contends that City’s support cast also has a major role to play, singling out skipper Patrick Kisnorbo as one who leads by example.

"He doesn't get mentioned but his aggression is a catalyst for us," he said. "What I liked about us against Sydney was that aggression and that will take us a long way."

He is also full of praise for Irish international and twice English Premier League title winner Duff, declaring: "For a guy at the twilight of his career, so to speak, his hunger is incredible and something we can all learn from.

"The way he prepares himself, from his warm-ups to his mentality during the game, is first class.

"He still gets up and down the pitch like a young pup and will create a lot of chances this year. It's a privilege to play with him also."

http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/article/2014/10/15/paartalus-joy-swapping-thai-torture-city-dream

Edited by Murfy1

The way he has been playing of late could suggest that Santo, Sam and Ed may have accurately re-spelt his name.

This guy needs to lift. We know what he is capable of, but he needs to deliver.

I have never seen a shot ffrom just outside the 18 yard box hit the roof of AAMI park.

Head over the Ball guys! At worst the shot is deflected for a corner, or falls to a team mate etc.

The way he has been playing of late could suggest that Santo, Sam and Ed may have accurately re-spelt his name.

I have never seen a shot ffrom just outside the 18 yard box hit the roof of AAMI park.

Head over the Ball guys! At worst the shot is deflected for a corner, or falls to a team mate etc.

Mate you've been ragging on Paartalu in every single thread for the past few days.

Firstly, he's not a striker, he's a holding mid.

And he was an absolute fucking animal against Sydney. Bit quieter against Newcastle, and maybe struggling with fitness a bit. No reason to get on his back when there are much MUCH bigger fish to fry.

• Like 6

Perhaps we were watching different games?

I thought he was great in the first half (one of our best) but did trail away a little in the second.  Even so, I was surprised when he came off.

As to the conversion attempt, yes almost on the roof (spot on with your "head over the ball comment) and so bad it gave us all a laugh, but he is known for his long distance goals and I'm sure before season is out we will see 1 or 2.

Will boss the tards Saturday.

• Like 1

I've said this before, almost every player that goes to Asia, comes back in bad condition

either the training regime, or the pollution ( both ) totally waste a player

the big viking is no different

he will be back and better soon

your spot on with that assessment.

http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/article/2014/10/15/paartalus-joy-swapping-thai-torture-city-dream

As to the conversion attempt, yes almost on the roof (spot on with your "head over the ball comment) and so bad it gave us all a laugh, but he is known for his long distance goals and I'm sure before season is out we will see 1 or 2.

Apparently there were two or three representatives from the Guinness Book of Records there with clipboards and cameras. Do you think that had anything to do with it?

Paartalu airs player concerns about smoggy China

27 Oct, 2014

Peter Davis

Melbourne City’s Erik Paartalu knows all too well the impact of China's pollution on a athlete's body after spending the whole 2013 Chinese Super league season with Tianjin Teda.

“You could taste the pollution” Paartalu said on playing in the thick of China’s smog.

Pollution in China is now an openly discussed topic, the much publicised smog that engulfs some cities is frequently the center of conversation among local residents.

News stories negative or positive are published almost weekly but some of the most damning criticisms have come from visiting sports personalities.

In 2013 the China Open tennis final between Novak Djokovic and Rafael Nadal almost didn’t happen when Nadal was reluctant to play. Most recently, in the build up to Brazil and Argentina’s friendly in Beijing, pollution drew harsh criticism from some big stars.

“The Chinese people do not deserve to live like this,” said Brazil and Paris Saint-Germain defender David Luiz. His international colleague Philippe Coutinho noted: “The air is rather strange.”

While their comments drew attention, most seem to forget there are sportsmen and women in China who perform on a regular basis in the same conditions.

In a frank interview with FourFourTwo, Paartalu explains how pollution affected him and that football needs to do something about it.

“The pollution affected me on a daily basis,” the 28-year-old said.

“There was an adaptation period at first – sore eyes, burning lungs and even blood in the mornings in my nose. Once I got used to it, it would still be hard to train on those bad days.

“Football clubs need to cancel games and training sessions when pollution reaches certain limits.

“You could taste the pollution, an almost metallic taste on your teeth on the really bad days.”

Paartalu moved onto Thai side Muangthong United before returning to Australia with City.

Due to the large amount of factories in China, pollution levels often rise around national holidays. In the case of the Brazil and Argentina clash, this occurred just after the October ‘Golden Week’ holiday where factories are known to double their output before and after holidays to deal with lost working time in holiday periods.

While Beijing often gets the pollution attention, the issue is widespread and most major Chinese cities experience the issue throughout the year.

“Tianjin is rated one of the worst cities when it comes to pollution,” Paartalu continued.

“One game against Shandong (Luneng) I remember it being so hot and polluted, it was one of the hardest things in my life.

“I can remember continually having to tell myself to block it all out and not to worry. It was like closing your garage door, turning your car exhaust on and running around in the enclosed space.”

“If we had a normal day in Tianjin in Australia I reckon people would stop going to work and the whole country would be in uproar,” he says.

Pollution carries several dangers particularly for athletes. It is measured on a scale as follows; Good (0-50), Moderate (51-100), Unhealthy for sensitive groups (101-150), Unhealthy (151-200), Very Unhealthy (201-300) and Hazardous (300+).

At the time of writing Sydney read 30 on this scale, Paris 37, London 52, Washington 30, Santa Fe 34. Beijing, Nanjing and Hong Kong were 197, 183 and 115 respectively while Paartalu’s former home Tianjin was reading 304 according to website aqicn.org.

The Chinese government has promised improvements by 2017 and researchers at China’s Tsinghua University have suggested that levels of the dangerous PM2.5 particle would fall by 25.6% in Beijing and 18.7% in Tianjin by this time.

Paartalu believes the problem doesn’t only lie with the Chinese and didn’t see much happening to change it in his time here.

“It's normal for Chinese people and it's so sad that nothing is being done to fix it,” he said.

“We in the world are responsible as much as the Chinese for this problem - they make everything there and so cause the pollution.

“If possible I would love the big cities to cut cars out completely and have everyone use the underground system or tram network in the short term.”

Brazil and Argentina’s players took shelter in their hotels to avoid the pollution but they should have spared a thought for the existing sportsmen and women who must deal with the problem on a daily basis as China battles the serious issue of developing the country and sport at the same time.

http://www.fourfourtwo.com/au/news/paartalu-airs-player-concerns-about-smoggy-china

I still think he is a good signing - but is not performing at his best atm.

I don't think he has played well at all.

As DM, we have conceded in every game.  Even by his standards he is playing very poorly. Saturday was no different.

But until we have a solution there will be no fix. He will have to do, and hope he improves.

• Like 1

As DM, we have conceded in every game.  Even by his standards he is playing very poorly. Saturday was no different.

But until we have a solution there will be no fix. He will have to do, and hope he improves.

Every single goal we have conceded from open play has come down the wings. How is this Paartalu's fault?

• Like 2

Every single goal we have conceded from open play has come down the wings. How is this Paartalu's fault?

Did you watch the derby? His job was to mark Finkler's runs through the middle, he didn't do that well, resulted in a goal.

Big Erik needs a big game Friday night, here's hoping he finds his form ASAP.

• Like 1

Did you watch the derby? His job was to mark Finkler's runs through the middle, he didn't do that well, resulted in a goal.

Not to mention he missed the run from Flores Flava which we were lucky was saved.

I hope he improves this Friday. 

QUESTION:

Would Germano be a better option?

As DM, we have conceded in every game. Even by his standards he is playing very poorly. Saturday was no different.

Not to mention he missed the run from Flores Flava which we were lucky was saved.

I hope he improves this Friday.

QUESTION:

Would Germano be a better option?

Don't make me sick into my own scorn

Partalu was good in the first game and has been average-poor since.

I don't like long contracts for players who are failures elsewhere who come back on the basis of reputation.

Four years was two too long IMO.  Where is the urgency for him to make an impression when he has 4 years guaranteed pro football?

Blame JVS and his retarded round table

I don't like long contracts for players who are failures elsewhere who come back on the basis of reputation.

Four years was two too long IMO.  Where is the urgency for him to make an impression when he has 4 years guaranteed pro football?

Might have had to be 4 years to attract him in the first place considering we snuck him under the cap.

• Like 1

He's played 4 games for the club and you're calling for his head? I mean come on. And as for ugency I don't think he's here to just collect a paycheck for rocking up, he's a professional footballer he would obviously want to play football. I'm not exactly the most positive poster on this forum but fucking hell some people are going overboard.

• Like 3

I did not even know who Paartalau was until we signed him, and going by this forum I expected better. Perhaps that is the problem, he raised expectations and is not fulfilling them. I have noticed that it is not unusual for a player to return from playing China/East Asia playing at a lower standard than when they left. Maybe coaching staff are going by reputations earned before they left Oz and not looking at their last season.

He's played 4 games for the club and you're calling for his head? I mean come on. And as for ugency I don't think he's here to just collect a paycheck for rocking up, he's a professional footballer he would obviously want to play football. I'm not exactly the most positive poster on this forum but fucking hell some people are going overboard.

I'm not calling for his head.

I expect a professional player that knows the A-League and is`playing in his position to be fully fit and to be playing well in that position from the first kick off.  

Its a month in to the season, he came here unfit and still can't last 90 minutes.  Not good enough.

As far as your trust in his integrity as a professional footballer, his history at Brisbane Roar before he was let go says otherwise.  He wanted out of the club, management expected him to honour his contract, so he played at 50% until he got what he wanted. he caused a lot of dressing room issues as a result.  In the end they were glad to let him go.

Its a different topic, but he was the classic case-there have been others- where in the A-league, contracts are binding only on the club, not the player.  He was a nothing player before Postecoglou came in, and then he wants to void his contract when the bucks from Asia came in. Like Balotelli and Tevez, Erik will learn things are different with City.

I did not even know who Paartalau was until we signed him, and going by this forum I expected better. Perhaps that is the problem, he raised expectations and is not fulfilling them. I have noticed that it is not unusual for a player to return from playing China/East Asia playing at a lower standard than when they left. Maybe coaching staff are going by reputations earned before they left Oz and not looking at their last season.

Agreed.  

Players should be recruited on form, not reputation.

Edited by Kiro Kompiro

I'm not calling for his head.

I expect a professional player that knows the A-League and is`playing in his position to be fully fit and to be playing well in that position from the first kick off.  

Its a month in to the season, he came here unfit and still can't last 90 minutes.  Not good enough.

As far as your trust in his integrity as a professional footballer, his history at Brisbane Roar before he was let go says otherwise.  He wanted out of the club, management expected him to honour his contract, so he played at 50% until he got what he wanted. he caused a lot of dressing room issues as a result.  In the end they were glad to let him go.

Its a different topic, but he was the classic case-there have been others- where in the A-league, contracts are binding only on the club, not the player.  He was a nothing player before Postecoglou came in, and then he wants to void his contract when the bucks from Asia came in. Like Balotelli and Tevez, Erik will learn things are different with City.

You said it yourself. The contracts are binding on the club - four years.