Melbourne Football

The Erik Paartalu Thread

kingofhearts

It's been posted several times on here that behind Mooy, Melling is the most important player in our squad. Everyone plays better with him in the team

For me Mooy, Melling and Chapman form the back bone of the team. Three players you can build a decent squad around. Add Germano, Safuwan and Novillo - now I can't wait for all six to start together.

• Like 1

Wasn't even screening the defence, there were a number of times where Sydney swarmed forward and Germano dropped back to mark Janko as a centre back slid across to the ball carriers side.

Not sure if this was a JVS tactic, but it would've made more sense for Paartalu to mark Janko if a ball was potentially going to be whipped over. Because a majority of the time he was just standing 10 yards from the defence not marking or pressing the ball carrier.

No question Paartalu was pretty disappointing against Sydney. He looked pretty flat.

But circumstances and fitness do explain a lot of it IMO, and it's why the City staff have tried to rest Paartalu when they can throughout this season.

Paartalu has played over 40+ full games over the past 12 months, whereas A-League players have barely played about 25. Also, Paartalu joined the team straight after finishing a season in Thailand, and only had a 4 to 6 week off-season and pre-season, compared with A-League players who get a 4 to 6 month off-season and pre-season.

Another thing is that many leagues and clubs across Asia (maybe not Japan, and perhaps Korea though) have pretty primitive training and fitness methods, as Paartalu explained shortly after joining the club when describing his Thai football experience: 

"If I had stayed in Asia much longer I am convinced my career would have been significantly shortened.

"By returning it will reinvigorate me and hopefully take me to a new level.

"In Asia generally, though it may differ in Japan, they just don't look after you at all. You train every day endlessly and there is no thought process behind it other than 'we'll train you more because you didn’t play well at the weekend'.

"They will smash you at every opportunity … it's an old-school mentality there and, in terms of sports science, Australia is also on a different level."

"The club employed people to help out with sports science but then the president [Ravi Lohtong] comes in saying you have to train six days a week, for two hours every session, because the other staff members work nine-to-five and we should work just as hard as them. It was unbelievable."

http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/article/2014/10/15/paartalus-joy-swapping-thai-torture-city-dream

Also, as any player would say, when you play multiple competitions in a row it is mentally fatiguing and draining as much as it is physically draining.

Nonetheless, in a number of ways Paartalu has shown real value throughout this season:

- As of the start of this round Melbourne City easily leads the 'aerial duels won' statistic with 335 (the 2nd most aerial duels won is 290), with Paartalu helping a lot in this regard. It is a much welcome change from a team that has always been timid in the air in previous seasons

- Paartalu is very good in possession, and has often been an integral part of the team playing out from the back, and has been far superior to previous options like Murdocca who only pass sideways and backwards. In particular in the last derby where City lost 3-0 (and the team had Mooy, Melling and Koren) Paartalu was sorely missed because of this point, as Melbourne City had difficulty throughout the game building up attacks from the back

- Since the pre-season game against Perth Glory, where Melbourne City won its 1st pre-season game against A-League opposition, Melbourne City has been a lot more likely to win when Paartalu is in the team. Mid-season when the team went on the undefeated run, Paartalu was prominent in games like the 3-1 away win against Brisbane, and the 1-0 derby win (of course). Paartalu gives balance to the team, and a midfield of Paartalu, Melling and Mooy has clearly shown to be a winning formula. Team dynamics are fickle things, so you don't want to change what's working. 

- Attitude. Paartalu was a part of the all conquering Postecoglou Brisbane Roar, and Hoffman this season has hailed the influence of new players like him:

But Hoffman says the temptation to look at the past and think, "Here we go again," is not there, mainly because of the enthusiasm of the club's new signings.

"The new personnel don't believe they should look to the past," Hoffman said. "They have an extremely positive outlook ... If the players here drift into thinking this is how it went last season, then the new players have been excellent in trying to make sure the mentality stays with the group."

(http://www.smh.com.au/sport/soccer/melbourne-city-must-find-winning-mentality-says-jason-hoffman-20141126-11u5ye.html)

- Goals. Paartalu's 3 goals have been useful, especially due to the limited returns from the team's forwards. In particular the 4 points that the team accrued due to Paartalu's goal in the 2-2 Mariners draw and his winning goal in the 2nd derby are clearly invaluable now we approach the end of the season, so Paartalu's goal-scoring ability has been a real plus this season.

All up I'm hoping with a full and proper pre-season under his belt that Paartalu will almost be a new player, who's a lot more fit and does significantly more running and defensive legwork in midfield. But nonetheless, Paartalu has added value to the team throughout the season, and the team has been more successful when he's on the pitch, so even this season with the limited fitness he's had owing to joining the team immediately after a demanding season in Thailand he's added value. 

Edited by Murfy1
  • Like 1

His problem is not that he is tired. The problem is that JVS does not know how to set up a team. Or, he doesn't have the players to correctly set up a team,

At Roar, he was instrumental in distributing the ball, but JVS plays him far too far back to protect the back 4. He plays a lot of one touch quick distribution of the ball to the ball players like Mooy.

WRT to his aerial ability, just watch how many times he heads the ball to a player. Compare this to Kisnorbo, who all he can do is play aerial ping-pong and give it back to the opposition.

Saw him interviewed on Foxsports Shootout tonight, he said a couple of things about how the team was playing and his role in it - seemed like he'd be happy to see some changes. Firstly he said the team was playing more counter attacking rather than possession based football (and that this was a change from the plans at the start of the season), which meant his role was not the same as at Brisbane, and he said there was  a strong defensive focus in their game plans against teams, not offensive, and he hoped they started looking a bit more at offense in the future.

Saw him interviewed on Foxsports Shootout tonight, he said a couple of things about how the team was playing and his role in it - seemed like he'd be happy to see some changes. Firstly he said the team was playing more counter attacking rather than possession based football (and that this was a change from the plans at the start of the season), which meant his role was not the same as at Brisbane, and he said there was  a strong defensive focus in their game plans against teams, not offensive, and he hoped they started looking a bit more at offense in the future.

Fair enough, but he has to realise that it's the manager's job to adjust his tactics to suit the cattle he's got - we've been critical of van 't Schip in the past for not doing that! Because of injuries etc. some weeks we've been lucky to even have enough players to make up a match squad. We're playing counter-attacking football because that's what suits the pacy forwards we've got. And we're focussing on defence because we were shipping goals too easily.

Edited by jw1739
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

http://www.news.com.au/sport/football/a-league-melbourne-citys-erik-paartalu-not-happy-club-has-had-so-many-goalscorers-this-season/story-fnk9a3dc-1227325537892

MELBOURNE City’s record spread of goal scorers this season is not a good thing according to midfielder Erik Paartalu.

And if the club wants to succeed in the future, Paartalu said midfielder Aaron Mooy — this season’s top scorer — cannot be relied upon to get the team’s goals.

When Jonatan Germano scored the winner against Brisbane Roar in Round 23 he became the club’s 19th scorer of the season.

Not only is that an A-League record, but an all-time Australian record, having surpassed the previous high mark of 18 scorers set by the Auckland Kingz in the 1999-2000 National Soccer League season.

The previous high A-League tally of 16 was set by Central Coast in 2013-14, while this season both the Mariners and Roar have had 14 separate scorers.

Asked yesterday if the achievement was one to celebrate, Paartalu did not mince words.

“You can say it’s good and bad for a number of reasons, but in my honest opinion it’s not a good thing,” Paartalu said.

“Obviously with the way the season has panned out, Robi Koren being out for a long time at the start, our squad has been stretched to the max.

538365-5285fd56-ed6e-11e4-a82d-68ff75e65

Erik Paartalu training with Melbourne City. Source: News Corp Australia

“We’ve had a lot of players come in as injury replacements, a lot of changes personnel-wise, so the goals have had to be shared.

“But when you see a midfielder being your top goalscorer, that’s certainly something that’s going to have to change if we want to be successful.

“If you look at the other clubs around the league who are up the top you’ve got strikers who are in double figures at least.

“That’s not to say that the boys up front haven’t been doing their job, and Josh (Kennedy) has only just come in at the turn of the year, we just haven’t had a settled 11.”

Mooy, the club’s regular penalty taker, has scored seven goals, but the next most prolific scorers — Koren, Paartalu and David Williams — have scored just three each.

Defending goals has also been a problem of late, with the team conceding seven in its past two games against Perth and Adelaide.

Paartalu said the team needed to lift for Sunday’s elimination final in Wellington.

“The last two weeks have been pretty pathetic in terms of results and performance,” he said.

“I can honestly say that all over pitch the effort hasn’t been there the way it should have been.

“Whether or not that was because we’d already qualified for the finals ... as professionals we still go out there every game trying to do our best.”

matt.windley@news.com.au

Spot on with his analysis and I like how he hasn't sugar coated our recent form

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Paartalu: Victory just a better side than us

12 May 2015

John Davidson

Melbourne City midfielder Erik Paartalu believes his team have a lot of work to do in the off-season to catch up with local rivals Melbourne Victory.

This year’s Premier’s Plate winners defeated City 3-0 at Etihad Stadium on Friday to book their place in the A-League grand final.

Goals from Archie Thompson, Besart Berisha and Kosta Barbarouses were enough to seal the win for Victory, who face Sydney FC in the decider.

Paartalu told FourFourTwo Kevin Muscat’s team have the quality to take out the grand final.

“It was a disappointing way to end the season but in all honesty Victory are just a better side than us,” he admitted.

“It’s difficult to pick a winner in the grand final isn’t it – hard to go past the team at home though. Both clubs have good players and it will be probably decided on a moment of brilliance or lapse in concentration.

“Victory 1-0 in extra-time.”

City had their chances against Victory with 17 shots to Victory’s 14, seven corners to five, 26 crosses to 18, and just edging possession with 51.2% of the ball. But they could not put the ball in the back of the net.

The side also lost Aaron Mooy, Harry Novillo and David Williams to injury during the match.

“Guess we will find out tomorrow with the injuries, I think all the injured lads had scans,” Paartalu said.

The 29-year-old will have his first break for over a year after returning to the A-League in September from Thai club Muangthong United and a stint with Chinese side Tianjin Teda.

“I’ve been going for 16/17 months now without a break so it’s going to be nice to have a weekend off,” he said.

Paartalu admitted it is hard to pinpoint exactly where City need to improve for next season.

“We have work to do in the pre-season that’s for sure,” he said.

http://www.fourfourtwo.com/au/news/paartalu-victory-just-better-side-us

Edited by Murfy1

After reading the above article, maybe Erik just ran out gas. He was scratchy first few games then had a really good period then went to shit after the break. Maybe the bloke was just overplayed. Seriously wouldn't the fitness staff have picked up this. Playing 16 months without a proper break can't be good.

• 5 weeks later...

Bit surprised to learn that Paartalu ranked number 10 for most tackles in the league last season, with 54 effective tackles, and made more tackles than Carl Valeri, James Jeggo and Luke Brattan: http://www.a-league.com.au/photo-gallery/who-is-the-a-leagues-tackle-king-ldinxgxw3vot1e6fcxpjsrzpt/10--erik-paartalu--melbourne-city-fc--73-tackles-in-total-with-74-percent-won---54-tackles-won-6

Mooy was of course City's top tackler, with 77 effective tackles, and was the 2nd top tackler in the league.

So overall Melbourne City's midfield (esp. Mooy, Paartalu, Melling) made more tackles than Melbourne victory's midfield, and very likely had the top tackling midfield in the league. Pretty good for a new look midfield.

I think a lot of the shit this guy cops is because he doesn't have enough blokes around him that know how to play. With a couple of competent wing backs for him to move the ball onto and a decent break / pre season he should be ready to boss mode next season.

• Like 2

In the article posted on 30 April Paartalu says:

“But when you see a midfielder being your top goalscorer, that’s certainly something that’s going to have to change if we want to be successful.

“If you look at the other clubs around the league who are up the top you’ve got strikers who are in double figures at least.

The refreshing thing about Paartalu is that he isn't afraid to make frank comments rather than wishy-washy nothing statements. Usually he's close to the money. Why wouldn't he be, he's played in a multi-silverware winning side under one of Australia's better coaches so he has inside information about what makes a top team tick.

So now I'm waiting to see whether we're going to recruit a proven gun striker or just struggle in front of goals like pretty much every other season so far.

• Like 3

re:striker.

Eli should have stayed another season or 2.  Good for him and good for us.  I have no doubt if he were here under the current owner that would have happened.

all the blokes we sold should have stayed longer (maybe not Aziz?) definitely Marrone, Good and Eli, none have done anything since they left.  The sales were just short term expediency to balance the books.  

The board gutted the team, then hired a rookie coach and said "good luck".  This is why at first i cut Aloisi a lot of slack (till I realised he was just not learning anything).  Last year was the first step in "recovery" from those decisions.

Anyway I am hoping we'll see a bit more from "The Viking" in the coming season.

• Like 2

Eli should have stayed another season or 2.  Good for him and good for us.  I have no doubt if he were here under the current owner that would have happened.

all the blokes we sold should have stayed longer (maybe not Aziz?) definitely Marrone, Good and Eli, none have done anything since they left.  The sales were just short term expediency to balance the books.  

The board gutted the team, then hired a rookie coach and said "good luck".  This is why at first i cut Aloisi a lot of slack (till I realised he was just not learning anything).  Last year was the first step in "recovery" from those decisions.

The sales may have helped balance the books, but IIRC each of the players you name, possibly with the exception of Marrone, had buy-out clauses in his contract such that if another club met that transfer fee and the player wanted to go then Heart had no choice but to let him go.

Edited by jw1739

I think the off season will go him good. If he was worked as hard as he said in Asia then he was probably a little burnt out last season

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

** the start of this article is in the Mooy thread here **

[...]

Paartalu, operating in that holding midfielder role, said he was much better prepared himself for this season than last season, when he only joined City close to the start of the competition after playing his previous season in Thailand.

"It's a really big difference for me this year," he said.

"I came to the club three weeks before the start of last season and struggled a bit physically early on, getting up to pace and match fitness.

"But this year I've had 13 or 14 weeks of solid training with the team and I feel the best I've ever felt physically, in my whole career. Hopefully that's a good starting point for me this season."

City has gone deep into the FFA Cup despite having a lot of players out injured during the pre-season. Paartalu said most of those players were back in full training now and would gradually be seen as the club's A-League campaign takes off. Many of those players are attackers.

Paartalu said that if City had forwards scoring regularly this season it would probably be the key to the side going to the next level, after Mooy led the goal-scoring last season from the midfield. City has the potential up front, when everyone is fit.

City finished fifth last season, after Perth Glory was banned from the finals and dropped to seventh for cheating the salary cap, and beat Wellington in the first week of the finals before losing to Melbourne Victory in a grand final qualifier.

"We're certainly looking to make a bigger mark in the league this season," Paartalu said.

"We finished fifth and that's not good enough for a club that is as ambitious as ours and I think it comes down to consistency, which we didn't have last season.

"If you really want to be a serious contender, you've got to have consistency in everything you do. I think we're much more settled going into this season and hopefully that shows in consistency on the park."

http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/article/2015/10/03/mooy-form-no-surprise-paartalu

Edited by Murfy1
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

It is quite annoying that the title of this thread when it was created indicated a lot of excitement and hope. These days the "freaking" is said through clenched teeth.

In general, I find the amount of unnecessary words in individual player thread titles like this to be quite irritating and attention-whorish, personally. I would have thought that two words (sometimes one) would be quite sufficient to give people an indication of what the thread is about. I wonder what George Carlin would make of it?

In general, I find the amount of unnecessary words in individual player thread titles like this to be quite irritating and attention-whorish, personally. I would have thought that two words (sometimes one) would be quite sufficient to give people an indication of what the thread is about. I wonder what George Carlin would make of it?

If you wish to be pernickety, your "In general" is superfluous, and "amount" should be "number." I didn't bother going any further. This is an www forum, not a tutorial on the effective use of the English language.

• Like 1

If you wish to be pernickety, your "In general" is superfluous, and "amount" should be "number." I didn't bother going any further. This is an www forum, not a tutorial on the effective use of the English language.

There's a difference between a title and the body of a piece of writing.

Could go either way. Return the beast we hoped he'd be or we won't see him again. 

Main issue for me this should of occurred 15 games ago. 

We're  also way too reactive to form issues and most times that worsens the situation. 

As soon as a player isn't performing needs to be dropped(even if the replacement is less quality ).

Everyone has to earn a start.