Melbourne Football

The Erik Paartalu Thread

kingofhearts

The best things about this signing:

1. A good DM can turn losses into draws in the A-League - As this bloke showed at Brisbane.

2. He has solid form on Australian tracks meaning there are a lot less unknowns than if he was from Overseas.

3. This signing now allows us to play Mooy in a better suited role beside Koren than as a DM as he has been playing from time to time in the Preseason.

• Like 3

And here's the actual announcement:

ANNOUNCEMENT: Melbourne City FC sign Erik Paartalu

Monday, 15 September 2014 - 
Melbourne City FC is pleased to announce it has signed Australian midfielder Erik Paartalu on a four-year deal in advance of the Hyundai A-League 2014/15 season.

Paartalu, 28, joins Melbourne City FC from Thai Premier League side Muangthong United and adds further quality to Head Coach John van’t Schip’s squad for the forthcoming campaign.

Already familiar to fans of the Hyundai A-League, Paartalu was a crucial figure in two title-winning seasons with Brisbane Roar, and started all of Brisbane’smatches in the 2010/11 and 2011/12 seasons, including the A-League finals series and the AFC Champions League.

As a reward for his consistent excellence in the A-League, he was also selected for the Socceroos in 2013.

Recognised as one of the A-League’s premier defensive midfielders, Paartalu famously scored in the 2011 Hyundai A-League Grand Final with the last play of the game and claimed the A-League Goal of the Year in the same season.

Head Coach John van’t Schip said, “It is fantastic that Erik has decided to join us.  A player of his calibre coming back to Australia and joining Melbourne City FC is a very positive development for the team and for the Club.

“We are well aware of what Erik can produce on the pitch.  He is a really exciting player and his experience, strength and technical skills will add further quality to our squad in advance of the season.”

The two-time Socceroo spent time in the NSL early in his career before making the move overseas to play in Scotland, before returning to Australia in 2010.

Paartalu will wear the number 5 jersey for Melbourne City FC

Player information

Erik Paartalu
DOB: 3 May 1986 (age 28)
Place of birth: Sydney, Australia
Position: Midfielder
Current contract details: Four-year deal (until the end of the 2017/18 season)

Great signing by the club, and inside the cap as well (if he was the Aus marquee the announcement would have stated so)! Very handy 'defensive minded signing' that the club said it was aiming for a while ago. The team has a near perfect A-League midfield now IMO. The quality we're now getting spread throughout the squad is exciting. And there's still space for 3 more signings (and 1 youth-senior signing), inc. 1 more Visa player and the Australian marquee!

Just thrilled that the club has the pulling power to convince Paartalu to sign, and that the likes of Paartalu was keen to sign up for 4 years! Sydney FC, Victory and the Newcastle Jets have all been keen to sign Paartalu thoughout this year, and it speaks volumes that he chose to play for us.

Great stuff by the club. Can't wait to see him in our midfield.

• Like 3

Melbourne City sign former Brisbane Roar midfielder Erik Paartalu for four years

MATT WINDLEY

SEPTEMBER 15, 2014

MELBOURNE City have added Erik Paartalu to its already burgeoning 2014-15 squad.

Paartalu, a two-time A-League championship winner with Brisbane Roar, comes to City from Thai giants Muangthong United.

The 28-year-old defensive midfielder has signed a four-year deal under the salary cap.

Paartalu, twice capped by the Socceroos, had also been courted by the Newcastle Jets.

Since leaving the Roar in 2013 he has spent a season in China at Tianjin Teda and another at Muangthong.

“Only been here for 24 hours but I’ve got a great feeling for the City and the team,” Paartalu said this morning.

“The training facilities are first class and I just can’t wait to get started.

“This club is definitely headed in the right direction, obviously with Manchester City jumping on board it’s a great club. I’m sure all the players are proud to be here and I’m no exception.

“It’s certainly a team that’s going to go from strength to strength and I want to be a part of it.”

At City Paartalu links with former Roar teammates Massimo Murdocca and Andrew Redmayne as well as Iain Ramsay, who he played with in Scotland.

Paartalu hasn’t played since August, but now has until the Round 1 clash against Sydney FC at Allianz Stadium on October 11 to get himself match fit.

“I started playing in Thailand in January and played about 30 games up until about a month ago.

“I’ve definitely got the match fitness there, I just need to sharpen up.

“I’ve not trained for two and a half weeks with a team so I’m just getting around the boys and starting training today.”

City coach John van ‘t Schip said Paartalu was a perfect fit for his side and would create even further competition for spots amongst his midfield.

MORE TO COME

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/football/melbourne-city-sign-former-brisbane-roar-midfielder-erik-paartalu-for-four-years/story-fnk6pqhd-1227058759655

On his performances in Thailand, Paartalu played 21 games (1757 mins) of 32 (actually I'm not sure how many games he played, the source wasn't great. It was at least 21 but it could well have been more), scoring 2 goals, despite him joining the league just before it kicked off, and him picking up a small few week injury towards the end of the season that threw him out of selection a bit (still, he did return to play games for Muangthong before the season ended). Paartalu reportedly also had MOTM performances while at Muangthong.

Edited by Murfy1

"MELBOURNE City have added Erik Paartalu to its already burgeoning 2014-15 squad.

Paartalu, a two-time A-League championship winner with Brisbane Roar, comes to City from Thai giants Muangthong United.

The 28-year-old defensive midfielder has signed a four-year deal under the salary cap.

Paartalu, twice capped by the Socceroos, had also been courted by the Newcastle Jets."

Taken from news.com.au