Melbourne Football

Melbourne City vs Adelaide United - Tuesday 16 September, Adelaide

Murfy1

I fail to believe in course of a week we went from a team that can dominate a game like we did against the CCM last week,

to a team that is crap with no hope.

As there was no stream or feed or TV, i'm not sure how anyone can judge based on social media posts

The glass is still half full (for me) 

None of us watched this game but CCM were very poor in the first half and looked very rusty. In any case they polay a counter-attacking style and so are happier for us to have the ball, despite that we couldn't score in the first half where we totally dominated space and possession. Adelaide play a different type of football, a possession game, we have traditionally done batter against these teams and we've now lost twice against them pre-season. As I said we didn't field a strong team, what this shows me though is how poor the quality of our second string players really is.

We did OK when overseas.

But the A League teams we are playing here are stronger opposition than what we met in England.

Overseas signings also need time to adjust. 

We did OK in the sense that we didn't lose, but we also didn't win. We can only consistently beat VNPL and below level teams

I sense that you are turning to the Dark Side..come, join me and embrace it, let it flow through your being....mwwwhahhhahahh

• Like 1

We did OK when overseas.

But the A League teams we are playing here are stronger opposition than what we met in England.

We did OK in the sense that we didn't lose, but we also didn't win. We can only consistently beat VNPL and below level teams

I sense that you are turning to the Dark Side..come, join me and embrace it, let it flow through your being....mwwwhahhhahahh

must resist ... must resist...

Actually I'm optimistic, I just think that cultural change takes time and always takes longer than we'd like it to take. I'm optimistic that CFG won't be happy with things the way that they are.

Edited by belaguttman
  • Like 1

We did OK when overseas.

must resist ... must resist...

Actually I'm optimistic, I just think that cultural change takes time and always takes longer than we'd like it to take. I'm optimistic that CFG won't be happy with things the way that they are.

Classic :D

The A League is very tough to predict because of the salary cap.

Without it we'd be a shoe in to dominate.

But look at some other squads:

For example, Sydney FC and their Manager, the Wanderers and their Manager, Adelaide United and their Manager and Melbourne Victory. Two of these squads have a far superior goal keeper to us, while Sydney FC's Janjetovic is better than what we have. A quality A League goal keeper can be the difference in many games between winning or instead just drawing or even losing. Victory's goal keeper could be a worry for them as was the case last season in a number of games.

Then you look at Central Coast - coming along nicely and Perth Glory looks much better than last season. As does Wellington Phoenix. Then let's not forget Brisbane Roar.

So despite the expectations caused by the owners of Manchester City buying us, we have been to a very large extent hampered by the salary cap. Plus we still have some very below par players from last year in the squad.

To say "We must finish top four" in this salary capped competition which is designed to equalise all the clubs is ridiculous imo if you also look at other squads in a non biased manner.

Edited by Parrot

To say "We must finish top four" in this salary capped competition which is designed to equalise all the clubs is ridiculous imo if you also look at other squads in a non biased manner.

So what you are saying is that  the playing squad is capped (both salary and visa players), so there fore its reasonable to for us not finish above 5th on the ladder? 

Despite us being very wealthy and having great connections world wide, the manager's wages not having a cap and the fact that it would mean we have an imported coach who is getting average results in a league made up of mostly locals? You're OK with that?

• Like 1

Ha! I think KSK we really are on the same page- I was just writing this:

So if all the playing roster for all the teams is relatively equal then it really comes down to the manager and his ability to get the best out of the team. Is that what you're saying? 

All things are not equal, even if we had Bielsa as manager we would still have our 2 keepers, Ramsay and Hoffman.

I honestly think our squad every season has been top half of the league.

Something to do with our game style and mentality that is lacking.

The other common feature is lack of reliable goal scorer, only season of finals Babalj was it.

Hopefully that correlation to Villa/Kennedy solves that compared to Mifsud and Tadic and Sibon.

Actually, what I am getting so far this year from the FFA, this thread (and others), and the MSM is that there is a dearth of talent at the moment. OK, we have Redders and Velaphi, neither of whom can be considered elite goalkeepers, yet, when I look at other A-League clubs there aren't that many that I would poach. Ditto for left back positions. So it is apparent that in the final years of the NSL and the beginning of the A-League youth development suffered but now that the A-League is in its 10th season why aren't there any young players coming through in all positions?

There are players coming through however the A-league is a results driven business and the elite level of football in this country. You cant have a trial and error approach that's what the youth team is for. Once a young player starts to show he can match it at A-league level then he begins training with the first team. and he goes from there. That's how it should be.

Lets not forget Goal Keepers play a crucial role in the starting 11, if they make a mistake it's a goal... therefore Keepers need to have an enormous amount of confidence and mental strength to stand between the post. Also goal keepers rarely go out of form, even if a team is beaten 3-0 or 4-0 the keeper will continue to back up week in week out.

I agree the Redmayne and Tando are not the best keepers in the league but they do have all the other crucial elements that a keeper has, the ability to back up week after week and the mental strength and concentration needed for 90mins. To find a keeper is one of the hardest things to spot in world football.

With regards to the salary cap I agree with the comments that its there to keep all teams as equal as possible. But I also believe that its up to the club to find a point of difference weather that be with playing style, formation, Marquee player impact and position, and/or the coach finding a gem like a Thomas Broich.

For a long time I have felt that the impact of a coach in a salary capped league cannot be under estimated. The reason why we have under achieved in the past and why we are in danger of under achieving this year is because our coach JVS is not the man to take us to the next level.. I just want to qualify that.

I'm not saying that JVS is a bad coach nor am I implying that he does not know what he is doing. The qualities that JVS has as a coach are not what we as a club require at this time.

JVS is a great development coach, he has an eye to spot a young talented player, he has the ability to develop young players, He can implement football structures for a young club, and he can nature and support young players. All of these qualities we have seen throughout his time at Heart / City and there are many examples of young players who have been spotted by JVS.

His natural focus is on development as we have seen our team develop from a punch of players to a competitive team (sometimes) but the A-league is the business were development turns into finished product and it seems to me that we are still to see a finished product.

• Like 1

Perhaps that's true that jvs isn't the man to take us forward. But neither were our previous owners. So the question is who was more responsible for the results we achieved? Did the previous boards unwillingness to spend money, purchase marquee players, not have very good facilities, build a culture of unsuccessfulness acceptable etc. take it's toll on our results or was it that jvs couldn't make the most of what was given to him and is not what we need as a coach?

I'm not entirely sure which one is more at fault which is why this season will be a telling sign. Now we do have owners that are injecting money into the club for it to be successful. So jvs is now accountable for the results of the team, which is why I don't think it entirely fair to jump the gun and say that he is not the man to take us forward before we have even played a match with our full squad that has any relevance.

• Like 1

With regards to the salary cap I agree with the comments that its there to keep all teams as equal as possible. But I also believe that its up to the club to find a point of difference weather that be with playing style, formation, Marquee player impact and position, and/or the coach finding a gem like a Thomas Broich.

For a long time I have felt that the impact of a coach in a salary capped league cannot be under estimated. The reason why we have under achieved in the past and why we are in danger of under achieving this year is because our coach JVS is not the man to take us to the next level.. I just want to qualify that.

I'm not saying that JVS is a bad coach nor am I implying that he does not know what he is doing. The qualities that JVS has as a coach are not what we as a club require at this time.

JVS is a great development coach, he has an eye to spot a young talented player, he has the ability to develop young players, He can implement football structures for a young club, and he can nature and support young players. All of these qualities we have seen throughout his time at Heart / City and there are many examples of young players who have been spotted by JVS.

His natural focus is on development as we have seen our team develop from a punch of players to a competitive team (sometimes) but the A-league is the business were development turns into finished product and it seems to me that we are still to see a finished product.

Great post. It's not about whether JVS is a good coach or not but whether he is the right coach for this club and the A-League at this point in time. I think time will show he is not. 

• Like 1

I think before they sack him cfg would probably bring in some people to help him out wether it's with a new assistant or some other background staff type.

I remember davutovic saying when jvs was appointed after the takeover that the cfg think he is the right person for the job and that it wassnt because of some thought of keeping continuity with the old regime. Infact davutovic said it was a case of 'love at first sight' when they interviewed JVS

God I can't wait for the season to start. I just hope that it becomes clear after half a season whether JVS really has suffered through no fault of his own or has benefited from the fact it's so easy to blame everything around him. 

I really have no idea which way it will go. I just hope we don't have two more seasons of mediocrity (coming around 5th) before he is let go. 

• Like 1

If man city is anything to go by, they don't seem to be in a habit of making rash decision. If the results are not adequate I wouldn't expect jvs to be sacked at the first sign of trouble. If any decision is made on jvs future at the club it will come about through a rational thought out process where all aspects are taken into account. At this stage I'm sure CFG are happy with how the squad has come together and if it proves there are problems I'm sure jvs will be given another season to sort them out, unless the season turns out to be like last season.

An example of this is if our results are not adequate because let's say our back inline has holes in it I beleive CFG will allow jvs to make further changes in these areas for next season.