Melbourne Football

International Champions Cup 2015

Cinnamon

Some of the worlds biggest clubs coming to Melbourne to play each other ala what went down in the US this offseason.

Wonderful thing to happen for football fans in this great city!

Teams to be finalised but looks like RM, barca, ManU, ManC are likely to play here.

Discuss...

• Like 1

Amazing if it happens, just because it shows how far the game has come in this country that we can attract these teams.

I think it comes down to the fact you need somewhere with a big ass stadium and where you can charge high prices for tickets. It would also have to be outside of Europe for obvious reasons. So really USA and Australia are the first couple of places to come to mind, but I'm sure the big crowds that have come to watch other big clubs in Australia has increased the confidence for organisers to play the games in Australia.

Teams to be finalised but looks like RM, barca, ManU, ManC are likely to play here.

The Age was reporting Chelsea not ManU

Probably a more accurate source, sen was just throwing names around I think.

Also there was mention that a further announcement might take place today from the state government, I'm waiting with anticipation

So Gillon McLachlan and the AFL have made no official comment. That just means they're waiting to rip into Dr Nap Thine behind closed doors and tell him who can come to Australia and under what circumstances ;)

They're more taking offence at the fact the MCC have essentially undermined them completely.

It's kind of weird how these types of games tend to appeal more to casuals than actual football fans, the Eurosnobs will be going wilddddd with delight.

Agree. I barely get excited by a causal pre-season tour by some big club like Juve, Liverpool or ManU. It's a training run FFS. Even if ManC turns up next year I won't feel obliged to fork out mega-dollars to see then - even if we share the same owner.

It's kind of weird how these types of games tend to appeal more to casuals than actual football fans, the Eurosnobs will be going wilddddd with delight.

Agree. I barely get excited by a causal pre-season tour by some big club like Juve, Liverpool or ManU. It's a training run FFS. Even if ManC turns up next year I won't feel obliged to fork out mega-dollars to see then - even if we share the same owner.

I must insist, I'm not ridiculing the tournament or the fans who will go as drawing this calibre of clubs to our nation is absolutely incredible and I have no doubt the MCG will be at 90k capacity which will be great exposure for our game, casuals or not. 

I just personally can't get excited for these sorts of games and I can't understand where many of these same people disappear to once the A-League kicks off.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Wait, are we gonna compete in this?

Nope.

Because of the FFA implementing the retarded rule that they have to be paid an exorbitant amount for an A-League team to play some European team in a preseason friendly, we're likely to see more of these European teams versing each other in friendlys in Australia rather than playing against a local team.

the thought of all the gloryhunters going is making me sick already 

liverpool game was one of the biggest disappointments 

This

And then these same people will proceed to tell you that they're bigger football fans because they support high-profile Euro clubs because the A-League is too shit

the thought of all the gloryhunters going is making me sick already 

liverpool game was one of the biggest disappointments 

This

And then these same people will proceed to tell you that they're bigger football fans because they support high-profile Euro clubs because the A-League is too shit

"omg dream come true, best night of my life" etc it's a pre season game that the players couldn't give a fuck about 

• 4 weeks later...

I refuse to go to another match at the MCG. It's like looking at something though the wrong end of a telescope, and if you're seated anywhere towards the front half the field is obscured by the advertising hoardings that they erect around the pitch.

Edited by jw1739
  • Like 2

I refuse to go to another match at the MCG. It's like looking at something though the wrong end of a telescope, and if you're seated anywhere towards the front half the field is obscured by the advertising hoardings that they erect around the pitch.

My thoughts exactly. I don't care that's it's my team (roma), the only overseas team I have followed since I began watching soccer as a kid, a team I never thought I would have had the chance to see live in the flesh.

The MCG is THE WORST stadium to watch a soccer match.

I will spend the time stalking their hotel, public appearances and training sessions.

You're all right in all aspects. Shit stadium to watch a football match. ticket prices show up different prices wherever you look, etc. 

This is Real Madrid vs Manchester City! I don't care if it was held along merry creek or played on a blow up pitch on the yarra. I'm attending this shit - and quite possibly as a gold ticket holder!

I can't see myself going overseas to watch these teams while i have a mortgage to pay off, luckily, they're coming to me. :D

Edited by Deviant
  • Like 1