Melbourne Football

Robert Koren (confirmed by club as released)

Jimmy

Quote from Managing director of City football services Brian Marwood

“But I think it’s important that we have the right kind of characteristics both on and off the field (in a marquee player). We don’t want players coming to the club and thinking it’s a final pay day or it’s a few months in the sun in a beautiful city, that’s not what this club is about."

People saying we should be getting bigger names, we might of spoken to the biggest names out their, but we don't want them if they have shit attitudes!!

Koren is 33. Definetely his final pay day

Engelaar was 34.

He still is.

• Like 1

Hmmmm...okay...

I do remember seeing this bloke in 2012 when hull were in the EPL. He scored, twice...

Never expected this to be our marquee man.

However i remeber in 2010 (my mates half pom half slovenian) so when the slavs played in a WC game of course I knew everything about everyone (cos he wouldnt shut the fuck up) and he did say Koren is a freak. 4 years later his our marquee...

TBH i dont know much about him but I have herd of him and if he holds up for a few seasons, fucken sweet. at the end of the day his proberbly going to be better than Tadic, play more games than Orlando and score more goals than Mifsud.

Lets get around "Robbie K !!"

and also....

guys think about it.....

Villa, Mooy, Koren, D. Williams (aussie Marquue) in our line up....ohhhh and DUFF MAN!

GET AROUND THE BOYS....

Seems that the people that do know him well rate him highly, and the people that don't know him don't rate him.

I think I'll side with the people that know him.

I'd guess the people whinging about Koren are band wagoners who jumped on the club when city took over and expected every signing to be in the villa, lampard mould. Koren would be a quality signing for any a-league club. We've already got David Villa and Damien Duff ffs people. The glamour players are going to go NYC. It's players of Koren's and Duff's ilk that we will see here. In no way should we be complaining about that because they are still next level to what the rest of the league gets to see.

• Like 3

Hmmmm...okay...

I do remember seeing this bloke in 2012 when hull were in the EPL. He scored, twice...

Never expected this to be our marquee man.

However i remeber in 2010 (my mates half pom half slovenian) so when the slavs played in a WC game of course I knew everything about everyone (cos he wouldnt shut the fuck up) and he did say Koren is a freak. 4 years later his our marquee...

TBH i dont know much about him but I have herd of him and if he holds up for a few seasons, fucken sweet. at the end of the day his proberbly going to be better than Tadic, play more games than Orlando and score more goals than Mifsud.

Lets get around "Robbie K !!"

and also....

guys think about it.....

Villa, Mooy, Koren, D. Williams (aussie Marquue) in our line up....ohhhh and DUFF MAN!

GET AROUND THE BOYS....

Well if things go according to plan maybe we'll be calling him "Special K"

Edited by HEARTinator

For those who like stats, here's Koren's stats over the past decade:

sd0nqb.png

Very consistent stats across his multiple clubs, and very solid stats. He's often been the top assist provider at whatever club he's at, and you can bank on him chipping in number of goals from midfield (BTW, the above are just league stats, and don't include his solid international football and cup stats). And Koren's arguably been at the peak of his game over the past 3, 4 years since he joined Hull.

Koren was voted Hull City Player of the Season 2011/12, Hull City's fans' 2011/12 Player of the Season, and winner of the 2011/12 Hull City goal of the season. He was also voted the 2006 Midfielder of the Year award in Norway, again showing he's consistently been quality. 

He's had some success at every club he's played for. His Norway club finished well up the table during his time there and made a cup final (and the team had greatly worse seasons after he left), West Brom became champions in the Championship and got promoted in 2007/08 with him and Hull City finished 2nd in the Championship and got promoted in 2012/13 with Koren featuring prominently. 

Some descriptions of Koren:

- Roberto Di Matteo: "He’s got a great brain, especially in the final third of the pitch"

- Ian Holloway: "He plays beautiful passing football"

- Tony Mowbray: "Since joining us in January, Robert has shown everyone - the management staff, players and supporters - what a talented and conscientious footballer he is. He epitomises what a good pro is. He trains how you want him to play. Robert also brings versatility to our squad. Whatever role you ask him to perform, he applies himself 100 per cent."

All up, I think it's clear the club have made a very shrewd signing, and have got someone who will contribute greatly to our club in many ways, probably for a number of seasons to come.

• Like 2