Melbourne Football

Robert Koren (confirmed by club as released)

Jimmy

Never thought I'd see the day where people are dissapointed at signing a former epl captain and world cup goalscorer at this club...

Pre-Take over I think this would be good enough. But although he played EPL Hull and West Brom Albion aren't exactly powerhouses.

If CFG were looking to make a splash this won't do it. I'd never heard of him before now. He 'might' turn out to be a good player but he's nothing I'm getting excited over. Not when we were thinking we were getting mega bucks to get someone from one of the top tier clubs in Europe. I was never expecting a great name at their peak but I was expecting a great name at the end of their career (but not washed up) or I was expecting someone younger who didn't quite make it at the top tier clubs i.e. someone who played a handful of games for a Champions League club

I would say you expectations are entirely ridiculous. The A-League has very little appeal even when we have mega bucks behind us. You are also quick to forget that when CFG bought us they said that they would not waist money on a player looking for a final pay cheque. I believe the majority of footballers will ply their trade in the highest possible league they can for as long as possible.

Who in there right mind would at a young age leave  champions league club and come to Melbourne City and the A-League when they can play in the Europa League team or a middle table team in the best leagues in the world???? 

Never thought I'd see the day where people are dissapointed at signing a former epl captain and world cup goalscorer at this club...

Pre-Take over I think this would be good enough. But although he played EPL Hull and West Brom Albion aren't exactly powerhouses.

If CFG were looking to make a splash this won't do it. I'd never heard of him before now. He 'might' turn out to be a good player but he's nothing I'm getting excited over. Not when we were thinking we were getting mega bucks to get someone from one of the top tier clubs in Europe. I was never expecting a great name at their peak but I was expecting a great name at the end of their career (but not washed up) or I was expecting someone younger who didn't quite make it at the top tier clubs i.e. someone who played a handful of games for a Champions League club

I would say you expectations are entirely ridiculous. The A-League has very little appeal even when we have mega bucks behind us. You are also quick to forget that when CFG bought us they said that they would not waist money on a player looking for a final pay cheque. I believe the majority of footballers will ply their trade in the highest possible league they can for as long as possible.

Who in there right mind would at a young age leave  champions league club and come to Melbourne City and the A-League when they can play in the Europa League team or a middle table team in the best leagues in the world???? 

I was never suggesting wasting money on someone who was only after a final paycheck. I agree that would have been a waste.

I also didn't say a 'young' player I said 'younger' as in younger than 33.

Maybe my expectations were too high because I did honestly expect to get the best marque the A-League has seen. i.e. above ADP, Fowler etc. I'm not saying by any stretch he's not going to be good or great just the signing is less than I expected.

Melbourne interested in Koren

THE next chapter of Robert Koren’s career could take him to Australia where Melbourne City are reportedly interested in signing the former Tigers skipper.

Melbourne City are owned by Premier League champions Manchester City and are currently fourth in the A League table 11 points behind leaders Brisbane Roar.

Koren left the KC Stadium at the end of last season where he found himself a bit-part player as Steve Bruce’s side reached the FA Cup final and managed to stay in the Premier League.

The Slovenian scored three goals in 26 appearances last season many of which came from the bench. His last goal came in the 2-1 FA Cup fifth round replay with Brighton.

If the deal goes ahead, Koren will be lining up with Damien Duff and David Villa, who is on loan from New York City, and it’s a far cry from East Yorkshire.

Read more: http://www.hulldailymail.co.uk/Hull-City-transfer-talk-Captain-Curtis-Davies/story-21747039-detail/story.html#ixzz38HyUsMUj

Read more at http://www.hulldailymail.co.uk/Hull-City-transfer-talk-Captain-Curtis-Davies/story-21747039-detail/story.html#FBTGHGmQJyPda3kb.99

I was never suggesting wasting money on someone who was only after a final paycheck. I agree that would have been a waste.

I also didn't say a 'young' player I said 'younger' as in younger than 33.

Maybe my expectations were too high because I did honestly expect to get the best marque the A-League has seen. i.e. above ADP, Fowler etc. I'm not saying by any stretch he's not going to be good or great just the signing is less than I expected.

ADP was a good marquee but by no means excellent, same goes for Fowler. They were huge names of the park but on field performances were not terrific. I wouldnt be surprised if Koren proves to be a more influential and better player on the the park then ADP or Fowler. Big names are what your looking for but again as CFG alluded to they are looking for Big players

Melbourne interested in Koren

THE next chapter of Robert Koren’s career could take him to Australia where Melbourne City are reportedly interested in signing the former Tigers skipper.

Melbourne City are owned by Premier League champions Manchester City and are currently fourth in the A League table 11 points behind leaders Brisbane Roar.

Koren left the KC Stadium at the end of last season where he found himself a bit-part player as Steve Bruce’s side reached the FA Cup final and managed to stay in the Premier League.

The Slovenian scored three goals in 26 appearances last season many of which came from the bench. His last goal came in the 2-1 FA Cup fifth round replay with Brighton.

If the deal goes ahead, Koren will be lining up with Damien Duff and David Villa, who is on loan from New York City, and it’s a far cry from East Yorkshire.

Read more: http://www.hulldailymail.co.uk/Hull-City-transfer-talk-Captain-Curtis-Davies/story-21747039-detail/story.html#ixzz38HyUsMUj

Read more at http://www.hulldailymail.co.uk/Hull-City-transfer-talk-Captain-Curtis-Davies/story-21747039-detail/story.html#FBTGHGmQJyPda3kb.99

Since when are we 11 points behind Brisbane when the league hasn't even started?

• Like 2

So new York get VIlla and possibly Frankie and Xavi and we get koren for our 1 marquee spot

Don't get me wrong he is a good player but I just feel like we are the middle child missing out on all the good stuff or only getting it for a short time,

until the younger one comes along.

• Like 1

So new York get VIlla and possibly Frankie and Xavi and we get koren for our 1 marquee spot

Don't get me wrong he is a good player but I just feel like we are the middle child missing out on all the good stuff or only getting it for a short time,

NYCFC cost CFG 100 million, just for the licence. 

We cost them 10 million and that was for everything.

• Like 1

NYCFC cost CFG 100 million, just for the licence.

We cost them 10 million and that was for everything.

I agree, we should have cost more so we could have better players

Seriously though it will be interesting to see how well nycfc do with season ticket sales and game day attendances

Just because some of you haven't heard of him, doesn't mean he's no good.

Yes. I'd say the chaps up there in Manchester might know just the odd thing or two about football bearing in mind that they've won the EPL title twice in the past 3 years. Perhaps not a lot, but just the odd thing or two. So there's a bit of a chance that they might know a good player when they see one and who might be interested to come and play for us for a while.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/football/melbourne-city-set-to-sign-slovenian-midfielder-robert-koren-as-their-marquee-player/story-fni2wcjl-1226999191028

MELBOURNE City is on the verge of signing decorated Slovenian midfielder Robert Koren as its international marquee.

The Herald Sun can reveal Koren has been in talks with Melbourne City management, currently in Manchester as a part of its 18-day pre-season tour.

If it comes to fruition the signing would be a statement of intent from the A-League club and its new owners, the City Group.

David Villa - set to play a number of games in Melbourne from October to December before moving to brother club New York City - is the big name signing, but Koren, 33, will be the player to build a team around for the entire season.

It’s the same line of thinking that saw Orlando Engelaar come to then Melbourne Heart last year as its international marquee.

Koren has played 61 games for Slovenia and scored against Algeria in the 2010 World Cup.

He has played in England since 2007 with both West Bromwich Albion and Hull City, clubs that enjoyed stints in the English Premier League.

Managing director of City football services Brian Marwood would not confirm Koren’s signing, but did say the club was looking for a particular kind of player.

“Clearly we’ve spoken to a number of a people and we’re not going to deny that we’ve spoken with Robbie,” Marwood told the Herald Sun.

“What I can’t do right now is confirm anything because there’s nothing signed.

“But I think it’s important that we have the right kind of characteristics both on and off the field (in a marquee player). We don’t want players coming to the club and thinking it’s a final pay day or it’s a few months in the sun in a beautiful city, that’s not what this club is about.

“I think we have a really good group of players and staff ... so we don’t want to disrupt that. We want people that are matched with the same kind of ambition that we’re trying to create.

“So I think that it’s important that the person is as good as the player.”

Edited by jw1739
  • Like 1

Interesting. I guess the question we are all thinking is: "is this guy better than Engelaar"? Time will tell.

As a leader? Yes. Most definitely.

As a player? Well that's up for debate and proof will be in the pudding. I think he can have a bigger impact and more consistent for us. Probably not as spectacular though.

He's a quality signing.

Interesting. I guess the question we are all thinking is: "is this guy better than Engelaar"? Time will tell.

As a leader? Yes. Most definitely.

As a player? Well that's up for debate and proof will be in the pudding. I think he can have a bigger impact and more consistent for us. Probably not as spectacular though.

He's a quality signing.

Question remains. Korean or Engelaar ? For me a bird in the hand.

Engelaar has gone. Get used to it. He was offered a contract to continue, but didn't accept the terms. He was a Melbourne Heart marquee signing, but we are now run by different owners who have different values and objectives. Koren fits those.

CFG stated that they weren't trying to make a splash with thr marquee spots though. They said they wanted a big player not a big name. Robert Koren is exactly that. Plus he is fairly well known to be fair.

Funny how they don't have the same thought process for NYCFC

• Like 1

Not going to complain, seems like a strong player and has a background in playing at the highest level, and he's a leader being a former captain.
Exactly the same last year, we didn't know who Engelaar was, and that turned out alright? The CFG surely would know what type of player would best suit the position we need to fill, and he could be a really good signing for us

CFG stated that they weren't trying to make a splash with thr marquee spots though. They said they wanted a big player not a big name. Robert Koren is exactly that. Plus he is fairly well known to be fair.

It was stated above but CFG have invested 10 times as much $$$ into New York City FC than us and they have the task of kickstarting the club from the very beginning whereas we're already an established club. And whilst I'm sure some on here would disagree, the MLS is of a higher standard than the A-League so we might just have to get used to not being the number 1 priority for now.

Lower your expectations and enjoy the ride, we're in good hands and in for a ripper of a season regardless  :)

• Like 1

It was stated above but CFG have invested 10 times as much $$$ into New York City FC than us and they have the task of kickstarting the club from the very beginning whereas we're already an established club. And whilst I'm sure some on here would disagree, the MLS is of a higher standard than the A-League so we might just have to get used to not being the number 1 priority for now.

Lower your expectations and enjoy the ride, we're in good hands and in for a ripper of a season regardless  :)

Not a flog but we still have only 1 striker?? Koren is class but we need at least 2 more strikers.

Brilliant signing, those winging are as bad as the flogs at NYC tbvh.

Yes, it's fucking shite Engelaars gone, cause he's just as good, with all that sentimental value on top. :( Shit happens, still a god.

Silver lining, I doubt City would leave us with just this. Koren was only on around £500k past few seasons, so he could be squeezed in, with the Mail pretty confident Lamps will join as marquee.

Villa and Lamps til Jan, then Kennedy and a VISA to come in as reinforcements. Good times. :up:

Can I have some of what your smoking?

Funny how they don't have the same thought process for NYCFC It was stated above but CFG have invested 10 times as much $$$ into New York City FC than us and they have the task of kickstarting the club from the very beginning whereas we're already an established club. And whilst I'm sure some on here would disagree, the MLS is of a higher standard than the A-League so we might just have to get used to not being the number 1 priority for now.

Not a flog but we still have only 1 striker?? Koren is class but we need at least 2 more strikers.

I completely agree but we still needed to fill a spot in midfield as well. 

To be honest we have multiple spots that still need filling but it seems as though we don't have many signings left to make which has me a little bit worried.

Quote from Managing director of City football services Brian Marwood
“But I think it’s important that we have the right kind of characteristics both on and off the field (in a marquee player). We don’t want players coming to the club and thinking it’s a final pay day or it’s a few months in the sun in a beautiful city, that’s not what this club is about."

People saying we should be getting bigger names, we might of spoken to the biggest names out their, but we don't want them if they have shit attitudes!!

• Like 1

as people have said, the question is whether he is as good as Engelaar was. We need to move on from this.

Engelaar was great for the club and had some really spectacular moments, however with the way we want to play this season we require very mobile players, and players with a lot of run in them, therefore Koren fits the bill. 

Regardless of age, the midfield of Mooy/Koren/Lampard has got plenty of run in it, and all 3 players are extremely fit and won't stop for 90 minutes. The same goes for up front with guys like Duff and Villa who are also very mobile and agile. This alone will prove to be a major advantage, and we should really be running rings around other teams.