Melbourne Football

Robert Koren (confirmed by club as released)

Jimmy

This is a competition that we're aiming to win, isn't it? You don't do that by having a bloke or two on the park every week "being given a chance" or "one more chance."  This is IMO the no. 1 problem with van 't Schip - he's still basically a youth team coach at heart where the aim is to give players chances to show their worth. That's why - as someone said - he regularly dips into his lucky bag and pulls out a youth player or two to be in the match-day squad.

I actually feel sorry for Koren, because he must know that he isn't coming close to meeting expectations. But there's no room for sentiment in football. He should have been dropped long ago, and if he didn't like it then he could always seek a release.

Club needs to harden up in this regard.

This clown is literally 75% through his stint with us and has produced nothing of note, and people are still saying to 'give him one more chance'?

This guy would literally have to transform into Lionel Messi to justify his price tag and taking up an international marquee position in our squad for 2 fucking years!

• Like 2

This whole thing with him being on another level is the biggest bullshit I've ever heard. How did Engelaar make an impact with even lesser players playing around him? Or what about Bruno. More than half his excellent runs aren't seen but he keeps making them and eventually gets a ball passed to him which he makes the most of. The guy has to be able to impact the game from the first touch he makes on the pitch which he hasn't. No excuses, no more chances and no more potential talk of him perhaps delivering an adequate squad player performance let alone marquee performance. Not good enough. 

Edited by n i k o
  • Like 6

Koren is no good and has been for years, that's the sad truth. Why do you think he couldn't get a start at Hull in his last season there?

Basically he was here 5 years too late.

i don't feel too sorry for him though. He's on extraordinarily good money and is free to leave at any time. Of all the guys in the squad he's the least deserving of sympathy I reckon. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Red or Dead said:

I'm with @playmaker on this and giving Koren one last chance in his preferred position...Mooy to feed Koren a brace off a silver platter this weekend :up:

If Koren cannot get on (or at a minimum assist getting on) the scoreboard then he truly is shit and I'm jumping Schip!

welcome to the dark side :):):)

Just a note on the whole Koren not being able to link up etc, in the last 3 games I have seen devastating link ups with Koren Bruno and Mooy. It relies on understanding and chemistry between the player, not something that happens by having a group of good players on the pitch. Saturday's team chemistry was poor, positioning was poor, understanding was poor, and Koren had no hope to use his class.

I reserve my judgement to the end of the next match, and if he starts with Mooy this week and has no impact on the game then we may need to look at other players.

But if he links up with Mooy the way I think he will then we have won the league, as no team will stop Bruno, Harry, Mooy, and Koren.

Edited by playmaker

16 minutes ago, playmaker said:

Just a note on the whole Koren not being able to link up etc, in the last 3 games I have seen devastating link ups with Koren Bruno and Mooy. It relies on understanding and chemistry between the player, not something that happens by having a group of good players on the pitch. Saturday's team chemistry was poor, positioning was poor, understanding was poor, and Koren had no hope to use his class.

I reserve my judgement to the end of the next match, and if he starts with Mooy this week and has no impact on the game then we may need to look at other players.

But if he links up with Mooy the way I think he will then we have won the league, as no team will stop Bruno, Harry, Mooy, and Koren.

What about the games he already played with Mooy? Im sure now things will be much different

Edited by n i k o

21 minutes ago, playmaker said:

He was put through one-on-one with Janjetkovic. The opportunity to show his class was right there and then. Instead he went to his left, his non-preferred side, allowing the 'keeper to narrow the angle. With his balance all wrong Koren then blazed away with his left foot with the ball always curving away from the goal into or past the side netting.

Bruno would have gone to the right, knocked the ball wide of the 'keeper and stroked it home with the inside of his right foot. Just as he did against Brisbane.

Arse vs. class.

Edited by jw1739

8 minutes ago, n i k o said:

What about the games he already played with Mooy? Im sure now things will be much different

What,  coming on at the 65 min mark when Mooy is nearly spent.

When Koren came on Moody's game lifted in both those games as he wasn't the only playmaker on the pitch, and against the tard Koren fed Bruno for an easy goal to kill the game, but Bruno missed and so did Williams on the rebound.

I have no problem with the games he played with Mooy as his presence nearly changed the game.

Edited by jw1739

Its not a question of whether Koren makes any contribution or not, he clearly does. The question is whether his contribution is at marquee level compatible to our other marquee? Does he dominate games? Has his contribution ever turned a game around? Do people come to see him the way that they will come to see Mooy, Bruno or Harry?

No, no, no and no.

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

He was put through one-on-one with Janjetkovic. The opportunity to show his class was right there and then. Instead he went to his left, his non-preferred side, allowing the 'keeper to narrow the angle. With his balance all wrong Koren then blazed away with his left foot with the ball always curving away from the goal into or past the side netting.

Bruno would have gone to the right, knocked the ball wide of the 'keeper and stroked it home with the inside of his right foot. Just as he did against Brisbane.

Arse vs. class.

Yeah I know what you are saying we have had way too many 1 on 1 misses in the last 3 games, Zullo, Bruno, Harry and Koren, all weak efforts.

Nah when he fell over and turned the ball over and they scored the first goal, or maybe when he was 2 metres out from goal and missed the target.

Cost us 2 goals.

BTW of course he was a help when he came on, look at who he replaced, before that we were playing with 10 men.

Edited by playmaker

1 hour ago, playmaker said:

Nah when he fell over and turned the ball over and they scored the first goal, or maybe when he was 2 metres out from goal and missed the target.

Cost us 2 goals.

BTW of course he was a help when he came on, look at who he replaced, before that we were playing with 10 men.

What are you on about? The first goal Zullo was tracking back and had nothing to do with the goal, Melling turned it over, and now after trying to defend Koren surely you are not going to raise Zullo missing a chance? Perhaps the ball didnt realise Koren's  higher level  and missed by itself, since apparently Koren is operating numerous levels above the players around him and thus explaining his utter failier as a player for our club

I am sure  it was zullo that turned it over..mmm have to have another look at the replay.

And who is defending Koran, his miss was pathetic as was Zullo's, both of them should have been on target.

Just because I am an optimist about Koren's value to the mid field doesn't mean I don't see his short comings, at the end of the day I want to win the league and if Koren and Mooy can link up I think we can knock over the top teams, but without that I can't see us winning as the other players just aren't up to that level. We rely on Mooy to be a match winner every week which makes us predictable. We need another quality playmaking mid and atm Koren is the only fit. I want to see them play together for a full game then I will make my final judgement. I just hope it works because if it does we will be unstoppable.