Melbourne Football

Robert Koren (confirmed by club as released)

Jimmy

Didn't see the group out there training this morning, but I did see Koren doing some work with one of the trainers.

It was mostly ball work, with a bit of passing and skill work like dribbling, crossovers, etc...

A little bit of light running with some stretching too, but nothing strenuous.

Importantly, he seemed to be moving quite freely without discomfort.

I don't think he is far away now, maybe another couple of weeks... If that assumption is right, then the question is whether they will risk him before the break or not.

Normally i wouldn't think so, but given the pressure JvS and the club is on now, I can see how tempting it would be to rush him in.

Did you boo anyway?

lol... nice!

in all seriousness were any of the players there? Apparently the media have been trying to get interviews with anyone and the club keeps knocking them back which is a little curious

Nope, just Koren and the trainer. I got there around 11 and it was empty with no cars except for theirs. Just the two of them on the pitch.

I have gone to several Tuesday sessions and always seen them, so was a little surprised today.... but glad that he is at least training with the ball.

Hopefully they were all in group therapy with an experienced sports group psychologist. The team performance will gain more from sorting out those issues than any training drills that they won't perform during the game anyway. As for speaking to the media what can they say 'the performance wasn't accepted;e?' They've said all that before, nothing has changed and we don't have to hear it again. If it were me I'd be too embarrased to speak to the media before I'd apologised to the supporters anyway.

Edited by belaguttman
  • Like 1

Robert Koren's calf injury

Round 1 Away: Named (Late Withdrawal)

Round 2 Home: Promoted (Did not play)

Round 3 Melb: 4-6 weeks

Round 4 Home: 3-5 weeks

Round 5 Away: 3-5 weeks

Round 6 Home: 2-4 weeks

Round 7 Home: 2-3 weeks

I'm expecting:

Round 8 Away: 1-3 weeks

Round 9 Home: 1-2 weeks

Round10 Away: 1 week (Not taking any risks this time)

Derby 2 Home: Substitute (with 20-30 mins to play)

Round12 Home: Start (Play 60 mins)

Weekend's teams' lists just came out:

Round 8: 1-2 weeks - he's ahead of schedule! 

Round 9: 2 weeks, back on schedule!

Lucky for him/us next week's match has been moved so that's one less game we won't have him for since it's been moved to March.

If next week (Rd10 for everyone else) he's theoretically "1 week" away then I'm still hoping he can make an appearance off the bench at the Derby as I originally predicted. 

Robert Koren's calf injury

Round 1 Away: Named (Late Withdrawal)

Round 2 Home: Promoted (Did not play)

Round 3 Melb: 4-6 weeks

Round 4 Home: 3-5 weeks

Round 5 Away: 3-5 weeks

Round 6 Home: 2-4 weeks

Round 7 Home: 2-3 weeks

I'm expecting:

Round 8 Away: 1-3 weeks

Round 9 Home: 1-2 weeks

Round10 Away: 1 week (Not taking any risks this time)

Derby 2 Home: Substitute (with 20-30 mins to play)

Round12 Home: Start (Play 60 mins)

Weekend's teams' lists just came out:

Round 8: 1-2 weeks - he's ahead of schedule! 

Round 9: 2 weeks, back on schedule!

Lucky for him/us next week's match has been moved so that's one less game we won't have him for since it's been moved to March.

If next week (Rd10 for everyone else) he's theoretically "1 week" away then I'm still hoping he can make an appearance off the bench at the Derby as I originally predicted. 

you better not have gone down there and given him a corky in the calf to get him back on your schedule

Edited by Cinnamon
  • Like 1

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/football/john-vant-schip-testing-patience-of-melbourne-city-owners-and-fans/story-fnii0fc4-1227147167926

So now he has a "double calf strain." What does that mean - one in each leg, or two in the same leg?

twice as bad as a normal calf strain? :)

Initially he strained it then was given the all clear to start training again and obviously shouldnt have been and then it happend again and was made worse.

Should start training this week

So we have...Koren out injured, Germano out injured, Duff taken off with a possible hammy, and Wielaert dropped to the bench.

Our four visa players...

three old players and an I don't know what the hell is going on with this player, player.

Look at the bright side: next year we should have 3 replacements and we have hopefully learned our lesson.

There's always NEXT season

So we have...Koren out injured, Germano out injured, Duff taken off with a possible hammy, and Wielaert dropped to the bench.

Our four visa players...

three old players and an I don't know what the hell is going on with this player, player.

Look at the bright side: next year we should have 3 replacements and we have hopefully learned our lesson.

There's always NEXT season

and the one after that and that and that

Koren was perhaps the player I was most keen to see this season (more so even than Villa), so I've found it very annoying how long he's been sidelined. 

It is a good point what has happened to our 4 Visa players, that were all out of action by the 2nd half of yesterday's match. IMO during the Melbourne Heart era every season we got our Visa players wrong, and unfortunately 2 of those Visa signings from the Heart era, Germano and Wielaert, have been carried over to the Melbourne City era.

The silver-lining, for those open to thinking about it, is the team put in yesterday's solid 2nd half performance with 0 Visa players and with 0 marquees. It was an all Australian, all under the salary cap team, and they were able to get the win.

Imagine Adelaide without Cirio, Ferreira, Isaias and Carrusca.

Imagine victory without Berisha and Milligan.  

Imagine Sydney FC without Janko, Brosque, Dimitrijevic, Abbas and Petkovic.

So once the team gets some marquees and Visa players to complement Mooy, Paartalu, Melling, Chapman and co., Melbourne City should be a real force to be reckoned with. And I really wouldn't bet on CFG stuffing up the marquee and Visa spots next season, when it will conceivably have the chance to get 5 brand new Visa players.

• Like 3

Koren was perhaps the player I was most keen to see this season (more so even than Villa), so I've found it very annoying how long he's been sidelined. 

It is a good point what has happened to our 4 Visa players, that were all out of action by the 2nd half of yesterday's match. IMO during the Melbourne Heart era every season we got our Visa players wrong, and unfortunately 2 of those Visa signings from the Heart era, Germano and Wielaert, have been carried over to the Melbourne City era.

The silver-lining, for those open to thinking about it, is the team put in yesterday's solid 2nd half performance with 0 Visa players and with 0 marquees. It was an all Australian, all under the salary cap team, and they were able to get the win.

Seriously are you JVS? 

Seriously are you JVS? 

Seriously, take your I hate JVS to the Sack JVS thread...

Seriously are you JVS?

Don't understand the criticisms of Murf he just points out things others might not have seen and does so informatively and interestingly.

• Like 1

Seriously are you JVS?

Lol he must of skimmed over our defense

It's completely evident that Visa players are absolutely integral to a team's success over the course of a season and it's no surprise that we've struggled over the years by not being attentive enough in this area. 

If CFG fail to make these necessary changes next season, I'm really going to be questioning what the point of having them own us even is. 

• Like 1

I thought that our injury replacement Miller was also a visa player and he is also out injured. So just to recap Germano and Koren are long term injuries; Miller and Duff are short term injuries and Wieleart is out of form. Given that Germano and Wieleart are carry overs from the Heart era, that means that our international scout networks have managed to secure only one player that has been able to get regularly on the park - Duff.

There is some serious reckoning to be had with the backroom staff.

I thought that our injury replacement Miller was also a visa player and he is also out injured. So just to recap Germano and Koren are long term injuries; Miller and Duff are short term injuries and Wieleart is out of form. Given that Germano and Wieleart are carry overs from the Heart era, that means that our international scout networks have managed to secure only one player that has been able to get regularly on the park - Duff.

A proven EPL player such as Duff doesn't come under my definition of "scouting." I think of it (something like) as spotting a someone who has the talents to become a good footballer but who is playing way below the level that you think he is capable of.

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scout_%28association_football%29

A proven EPL player such as Duff doesn't come under my definition of "scouting." I think of it (something like) as spotting a someone who has the talents to become a good footballer but who is playing way below the level that you think he is capable of.

Someone like Roly Bonevacia, Daniel Georgievski, Roy Krishna, Isaias, Marcelo Carrusca, Pablo Sanchez, Besart Berisha, Marcos Flores, Gui Finkler, Sidnei, Carlos Hernandez, Jean Carlos Solorzano, Adama Traore, Mateo Poljak, Jerome Polenz, Sergio Van Dijk, Ali Abbas, Iacopo La Rocca, Youssouf Hersi  Alex Rodriguez , Fabio Ferreira, Nikola Petkovic, Nebjosa Marinkovic, Cirio, Albert Riera, all of these players have been plucked out of relative obscurity by under resourced under manned A-League clubs surely CFG's world renowned 36 scouts can easily find players like this from the get go. Yet all they come back with is two former premier league players (not saying either is a bad signing). Surely these scouts can and should have found players up to the task if A-League clubs can by themselves can.

• Like 4

Point taken.

Someone like Roly Bonevacia, Daniel Georgievski, Roy Krishna, Isaias, Marcelo Carrusca, Pablo Sanchez, Besart Berisha, Marcos Flores, Gui Finkler, Sidnei, Carlos Hernandez, Jean Carlos Solorzano, Adama Traore, Mateo Poljak, Jerome Polenz, Sergio Van Dijk, Ali Abbas, Iacopo La Rocca, Youssouf Hersi  Alex Rodriguez , Fabio Ferreira, Nikola Petkovic, Nebjosa Marinkovic, Cirio, Albert Riera, all of these players have been plucked out of relative obscurity by under resourced under manned A-League clubs surely CFG's world renowned 36 scouts can easily find players like this from the get go. Yet all they come back with is two former premier league players (not saying either is a bad signing). Surely these scouts can and should have found players up to the task if A-League clubs can by themselves can.

They probably should have done better, but possibly they weren't in a mindset that was tuned to the needs of Melbourne rather than Manchester. Although I'd agree that that would be a piss poor excuse.

Personally I don't think even Duff and Koren are particularly impressive. Koren didn't stand out in pre-season, and Duff is clearly struggling aerobically. And Kennedy has every potential to be another crock.

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scout_%28association_football%29

Someone like Roly Bonevacia, Daniel Georgievski, Roy Krishna, Isaias, Marcelo Carrusca, Pablo Sanchez, Besart Berisha, Marcos Flores, Gui Finkler, Sidnei, Carlos Hernandez, Jean Carlos Solorzano, Adama Traore, Mateo Poljak, Jerome Polenz, Sergio Van Dijk, Ali Abbas, Iacopo La Rocca, Youssouf Hersi Alex Rodriguez , Fabio Ferreira, Nikola Petkovic, Nebjosa Marinkovic, Cirio, Albert Riera, all of these players have been plucked out of relative obscurity by under resourced under manned A-League clubs surely CFG's world renowned 36 scouts can easily find players like this from the get go. Yet all they come back with is two former premier league players (not saying either is a bad signing). Surely these scouts can and should have found players up to the task if A-League clubs can by themselves can.

Maybe not hersi. I put him in the ono, engelaar bracket. Well known just not super famous like adp

I still won't forget when my old man spoke to him during preseason him saying that in all his career he has never been made to work as hard physically as he has here at Melbourne. Could be something to do with our injury woes of visa players?

Good point. Could also mean that the conditioning staff aren't doing enough to tailor the training regime to suit individual players - specially as they age.

So once the team gets some marquees and Visa players to complement Mooy, Paartalu, Melling, Chapman and co., Melbourne City should be a real force to be reckoned with. And I really wouldn't bet on CFG stuffing up the marquee and Visa spots next season, when it will conceivably have the chance to get 5 brand new Visa players.

Imagine we stopped recruiting thirty somethings with or without long injury histories

Its ridiculous we have got players like Fred, Skoko and Grella and now Kennedy, who are on the medical table as they sign their contracts.

Imagine we stopped recruiting thirty somethings with or without long injury histories

Its ridiculous we have got players like Fred, Skoko and Grella and now Kennedy, who are on the medical table as they sign their contracts.

I thought they used the medical table to rest the contract papers on when they signed...

• Like 1

I thought they used the medical table to rest the contract papers on when they signed...

JD, as he hands over pen and contract: "So Josh, this back injury..."

JK: "Sorry JD, Simon, can you loosen up the straps on me back brace, a bit hard to get up....huh, oh yeah JD, 1-2 weeks"

JD:  "Thats good enough for me....yeah thats the spot Josh, right there at the bottom on the dotted line, mate.  Welcome aboard"

• Like 4