Melbourne Football

Robert Koren (confirmed by club as released)

Jimmy

Well one thing is clear. If this was still heart he wouldn't have those things on and would be standing in a wheelie bin :up:

True, but he could have used Carlton's Anti-Gravity treadmill like Engelaar did.

It was likely that the treadmill was paid for by the injury insurance that the franchise took out on Engelaar the day before his injury

• 3 weeks later...

I don't know whether it is or not. But I am seriously questioning this guy's commitment. Out of four visa players we can only get two on the park. Not good enough.

I doubt questioning the players commitment is fair when there is no information around. Calf injuries are notoriously hard to get right so id say given his age they are taking a cautious approach

is 10+ weeks out for a calf normal?

Yes very much so, coming from personal experience and others

Grade 1:

The muscle is stretched causing some small micro tears in the muscle fibres. Recovery takes approximately 2 to 4 weeks if you do all the right things.

Grade 2:

There is partial tearing of muscle fibres. Full recovery takes approximately 4 to 8 weeks with good rehabilitation.

Grade 3:

This is the most severe calf strain with a complete tearing or rupture of muscle fibres in the lower leg. Full recovery can take 3-4 months and, in some instances, surgery may be needed.

So Koren would be a Grade 2 calf injury, adding on time to get fitness back up to compete, will probably need over 8 weeks to be ready to play a competitive match

Edited by n i k o
  • Like 1

I don't know whether it is or not. But I am seriously questioning this guy's commitment. Out of four visa players we can only get two on the park. Not good enough.

Why is Koren's commitment even being questioned here, he's injured? Surely you can't tell me he'd rather be sitting on the sidelines than getting out on the pitch as the club's marquee player and being finally able to prove himself. 

is 10+ weeks out for a calf normal?

Yes very much so, coming from personal experience and others

Grade 1:

The muscle is stretched causing some small micro tears in the muscle fibres. Recovery takes approximately 2 to 4 weeks if you do all the right things.

Grade 2:

There is partial tearing of muscle fibres. Full recovery takes approximately 4 to 8 weeks with good rehabilitation.

Grade 3:

This is the most severe calf strain with a complete tearing or rupture of muscle fibres in the lower leg. Full recovery can take 3-4 months and, in some instances, surgery may be needed.

So Koren would be a Grade 2 calf injury, adding on time to get fitness back up to compete, will probably need over 8 weeks to be ready to play a competitive match

I wouldnt be supprised if it was a grade one and they are ultra cautious and wrapping him up in cotton wool. Or those things on his legs he posted a tweet of

Robert who ???

jokes aside, I think the best thing, to ensure no further aggravation to the injury is to wait until after the Asian Cup , before a comeback

why play halfway through December and further compound any injury

Or is he only 2 weeks away ? if so then the start of December is ok, but it's still 4-5 weeks , wait till after the Asian Cup

Robert who ???

jokes aside, I think the best thing, to ensure no further aggravation to the injury is to wait until after the Asian Cup , before a comeback

why play halfway through December and further compound any injury

Or is he only 2 weeks away ? if so then the start of December is ok, but it's still 4-5 weeks , wait till after the Asian Cup

We have a fair few games over the xmas period which i would love to have him back for.

Robert Koren's calf injury

Round 1 Away: Named (Late Withdrawal)

Round 2 Home: Promoted (Did not play)

Round 3 Melb: 4-6 weeks

Round 4 Home: 3-5 weeks

Round 5 Away: 3-5 weeks

Round 6 Home: 2-4 weeks

Round 7 Home: 2-3 weeks

I'm expecting:
Round 8 Away: 1-3 weeks

Round 9 Home: 1-2 weeks

Round10 Away: 1 week (Not taking any risks this time)

Derby 2 Home: Substitute (with 20-30 mins to play)

Round12 Home: Start (Play 60 mins)