Melbourne Football

Brisbane Roar

n i k o

3 hours ago, Shahanga said:

Fowler and his assistant have won their case of unfair dismissal. 
It’s important clubs are held to their side of the contract, not just employees.

Now as to whether they actually pay, I guess that’s another matter.

He did say that he was donating his money to charity so I suspect that Fowler is not expecting to get paid.

2 hours ago, Shahanga said:

Relocated to Redcliffe. Couldn’t  get a big enough crowd for the massive cost of Suncorp.

However you cut it, it’s a bad moment for football in Queensland.

Wow, I hadn't picked that up! Big decision. My mind went back 50 years to "soccer" in those days - people sitting on The Hill with picnic baskets watching the game.

I'm hearing warning bells ringing loudly for the A-League.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, HeartFc said:

Add getting sued by Brett Holman and Fowler winning his case for unfair dismissal. Not a great week for Brisbane Roar. 

As much as I love watching games at Dolphin Stadium its a fair hike from the city.

A-league going down the toilet pretty rapidly since the 17/18 season. 

Business must be bad for the Bakries. The low oil price would be hurting them and in the past analysts have mentioned they have a lot of debt (though at least that would be cheap).

yeah no one in the south or west would want to go to Redcliffe.

”Redcliffe Roar”. 

Edited by Shahanga

1 hour ago, Shahanga said:

Business must be bad for the Bakries. The low oil price would be hurting them and in the past analysts have mentioned they have a lot of debt (though at least that would be cheap).

yeah no one in the south or west would want to go to Redcliffe.

”Redcliffe Roar”. 

On reflection, perhaps it's not such a bad decision just at this point in time. Brisbane Redcliffe F.C. sounds a lot better to me than Roar. Quite apart from that though, it's probably better to take a little bit of a hit now, and start a new chapter in the history of the club, than to go on with mounting losses. Those that really want to support the club and go to watch will adjust to the new location.

2 hours ago, jw1739 said:

On reflection, perhaps it's not such a bad decision just at this point in time. Brisbane Redcliffe F.C. sounds a lot better to me than Roar. Quite apart from that though, it's probably better to take a little bit of a hit now, and start a new chapter in the history of the club, than to go on with mounting losses. Those that really want to support the club and go to watch will adjust to the new location.

It may also set up a geographical divide to allow a new brusbane team to enter in the future and have some sort of distinction between Brisbane Roar abd this hypothetical team. Not to say that such a thing was ever a consideration in the move to Redcliffe, but clouds, silver linings, etc.

• Like 1

It's very retro though. Typical Australian Rugby League ground. Not much cover and I doubt much atmosphere. But I agree, the downsizing will help them longer-term.

I think most people have acknowledged that the "boutique stadium" is the way to go for football in the end.

13 hours ago, Nate said:

Didn't we play Brisbane at Dolphin Stadium last season pre-COVID? 

I remember the attendance being full and the atmosphere pumping - with good feedback from those who went.

Attendance 9,387. They played Perth there as well last season in February and drew 9,224.

I think it's a great move, watching Roar play at Suncorp with 40,000 empty seats was a terrible promotion for the League. Also the rent and other costs for Qld's Government owned stadiums is astronomical, remember Clive Palmer capping crowds at 4,000 because once 4,001 people entered the stadium there was another $100k+ charge applied by the Government.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Shahanga said:

Well I thought relocating to Redcliffe would be a terrible move, as it would alienate the majority of the Roars supporters.

Turns out I may have been wrong. Game vs us is reported as a sell out (11k). They can sell out regularly in Redcliffe they’ll be streets ahead.

If it was a sell-out, plenty of people didn't turn up. Here's just one screenshot:

image.thumb.png.205578787e8df4ee335c593b7d766c04.png

1 hour ago, Shahanga said:

Yeah plenty of empty seats. 
As someone who lived out west I wouldn’t have fancied the approx 4 hour round trip to watch a game there myself. Maybe the tunnels have helped but even so.

IMO the important thing is that the Dolphins own the ground and therefore have the say in how it's run. I don't mind us sharing rugby grounds - it's OK if you have a good groundstaff - if it gets to be the club(s) who own them. IMO it's the only way to go for football - own your own or share. Being beholden to State governments isn't the way forward. I think people who are genuinely interested in the sport and the particular club(s) will find a way to attend - not all matches perhaps but certainly the more attractive ones.

• 1 year later...
  • 10 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Anyone else see the Roar vs Sydney game? The surface of Suncorp Stadium was simply unacceptable. One flank was in horrendous condition. There probably would have been 50 suburban grounds with better surfaces.

I assume they’d had a concert on it or something but professional leagues shouldn’t be playing on surfaces like that.

1 minute ago, D.B. Cooper said:

Anyone else see the Roar vs Sydney game? The surface of Suncorp Stadium was simply unacceptable. One flank was in horrendous condition. There probably would have been 50 suburban grounds with better surfaces.

I assume they’d had a concert on it or something but professional leagues shouldn’t be playing on surfaces like that.

Saw most of it. The other flank was marginally better as I saw players trip on divots.

5 hours ago, MHFC-FAN said:

Err what?

The surface at Suncorp was a disgrace. About a third was a dry paddock whilst the remainder was full of divots. The Suncorp surface was not fit for professional sport. So if the Roar got an improved deal to stay at Suncorp then I am saying that deal should be that the Roar get paid to play there.

On 10/1/2024 at 6:05 AM, NewConvert said:

The surface at Suncorp was a disgrace. About a third was a dry paddock whilst the remainder was full of divots. The Suncorp surface was not fit for professional sport. So if the Roar got an improved deal to stay at Suncorp then I am saying that deal should be that the Roar get paid to play there.

Spot on. The APL should be asking questions of both Roar and the stadium.