Melbourne Football

Brisbane Roar

n i k o

Would people seriously be happy making finals at the expense of another team on a technicality? It would be a hallow victory and I sure as hell wouldn't be celebrating.

I didn't care that Carlton made it at the expense of Essendon.

But anyway, doesn't seem that anything serious has even happened to Brisbane so we could forget about it.

Made it even better that we beat 5th placed Richmond and destroyed their fans' hopes and dreams ahaha

...and ended up going further into the finals than Collingwood. Apart from the Blues winning the GF was about as good as it gets!

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Looks like Brisbane have their own financial troubles.  The Bakrie group have made their money in coal and for those that don't know, the coal market has collapsed.  So the Bakrie mob wouldn't have a lot of spare cash to throw around.

FWIW Roar have "gone bust" twice before already.

Looks like Brisbane have their own financial troubles.  The Bakrie group have made their money in coal and for those that don't know, the coal market has collapsed.  So the Bakrie mob wouldn't have a lot of spare cash to throw around.

FWIW Roar have "gone bust" twice before already.

literally thought they were a bakery firm until now, oh boy

They haven't 'gone bust', their owners want to sell as they've taken a hit financially. There shouldn't be a shortage of people interested in owning a Brisbane team, unless the FFA's constant bullshit puts them all off.

Didn't mean to imply they've gone bust.

Is worth noting that the press are reporting a +2 million dollar loss though.

Meant to imply it seems bloody tough to break even if you own Roar & also meant to suggest that the Bakries seem to want out.

I have no idea how tight money is in the Bakrie group, but even in the best case it'd wouldn't be plentiful.

Edited by Shahanga

Didn't mean to imply they've gone bust.

Is worth noting that the press are reporting a +2 million dollar loss though.

Meant to imply it seems bloody tough to break even if you own Roar & also meant to suggest that the Bakries seem to want out.

I have no idea how tight money is in the Bakrie group, but even in the best case it'd wouldn't be plentiful.

They are 10bn in debt lawl

Get your Roar memorabilia whilst you still can, not going to be around for much longer.

Whilst its kind of funny because its not us, its simply not fair to the fans.  Hopefully after Aloisi takes them down, the FFA will step in like they have with Newcastle (and like they did when Roar went broke last time) and get the club back on its feet.

JA seems to be the coach of choice for clubs that want to cut costs and be media relevant, Bakrie’s priming for a sale of licence perhaps?

Can't see how he is overly media relevant - the bloke went 17 fucking games without a win.

the sale side is quite possible I just don't get how JA helps. Surely even a bloke like Gary van Egmond would be better. At least he won something

• 3 weeks later...

Craig Moore has joined the Roar staff as "football operations manager"

Not sure why though, looks like no one there is getting paid.

http://www.fourfourtwo.com/au/news/moore-returns-roar

The situation there looks to be even worse than at Newcastle.

http://www.fourfourtwo.com/au/news/roars-financial-worries-worsen

With all the success they have had to fuck me, just shows success doesn't buy financial security

• Like 1

With all the success they have had to fuck me, just shows success doesn't buy financial security

Shows that the most important thing is to build a club from the bottom up, and IMO that's what CFG are doing for us and why it's so important for us to have the stability that none of the other clubs enjoy.

Success on the field is ephemeral - it leaves as quickly as it arrives - but stability at the bottom will carry you through the lean times.

IIRC Heart/City remains the only A-League club that has had no financial/ownership participation from FFA.

• Like 1

Shows that the most important thing is to build a club from the bottom up, and IMO that's what CFG are doing for us and why it's so important for us to have the stability that none of the other clubs enjoy.

Success on the field is ephemeral - it leaves as quickly as it arrives - but stability at the bottom will carry you through the lean times.

IIRC Heart/City remains the only A-League club that has had no financial/ownership participation from FFA.

And our womens team are fully funded. It would be great to make one of the fields at latrobe a home ground for the NPL and womens sides with a small stand for seating. Once we have than then it makes it easier to also have junior teams later on down the track. 

Edited by Dylan
  • Like 2

When you look at the difficulties at Newcastle and Brisbane, and also at Central Coast where the owner would like to move the club away from its "home" in Gosford, surely you have to question the model that's currently in use for the A-League. Is the reality that in the long term the only clubs that will survive without repeated FFA intervention are those in Melbourne and Sydney? Meaning we would have to go into some sort of SE Asia competition at the top level and have our domestic competition as a second level.

There are many issues with the A-League model.

1.  The Fox contract requiring first class stadiums.  Roar should not be playing at Suncorp.  Lets be frank here we shouldn't be playing out of AAMI when we can barely get 7k attend for 90% of our games.

2.  The on field product is IMO poor.  The players are poor.  The refs are poor.  The matches are stop-star affairs with numerous straight red tackles going un-punished- this is a particular bug-bear of mine and worse still I'm noticing that the fans are now conditioned to accept that as normal. 

People come to watch quality.  ADP was good for the whole league-SFC had bigger attendances with him when they played poorly compared to what they got finishing second.

The four pillars of the league will be MV, MC, SFC and WSW.  Like it is everywhere else we can't have an even league if we want to grow.  These clubs need to lead the way with quality marquees, I'm talking $2 mill per season players here.

As it stands, the FFA will be in for a rude shock if it is depending on the next TV deal to balance the books and grow the game.

Edited by Kiro Kompiro
  • Like 1