Melbourne Football

2021 Preseason Friendlies

Deluka

4 hours ago, neio said:

Finished 3-3, interested to see what our starting line up was, cause defence looks an issue at the moment 

We have the squad depth I keep hearing so the line up we should be able everybody comfortably.

Jokes aside, I’m thinking Griffiths as CB and Berenguer injured again - the latter might come into the season with zero minutes of football if he isn’t careful.

6 hours ago, neio said:

Finished 3-3, interested to see what our starting line up was, cause defence looks an issue at the moment 

Well, we've lost two defenders - Delbridge and Windbichler - and acquired only one - Garuccio. So I'm not surprised. IMO people greatly underestimated Delbo - he put in a lot of last-ditch tackles and blocks that saved us on plenty of occasions.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, jw1739 said:

IMO people greatly underestimated Delbo - he put in a lot of last-ditch tackles and blocks that saved us on plenty of occasions.

I think we are definitely weaker without Delbribge but in all honesty alot of thos last ditch takles and blocks resulted in pens and reds.

Losing Winbichler and Delbribge without at minimum 1 replaced is very concerning, we need a quality CB if not 2 or we will struggle.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, jw1739 said:

3.00 p.m. today in Ballarat vs. WU. Attendance limited to 115 Western United members according to the City website. 

I'll be interested to see how we line up, whether we still have injuries (where are you Florin?) and how Tsubaki goes if he gets a run. 

Don’t think Tsubaki is out of quarantine yet 

Melbourne City XI: 1.Tom GLOVER, 3.Scott JAMIESON, 7.Rostyn GRIFFITHS, 8.Aiden O'NEILL, 9.Jamie MACLAREN, 11.Craig NOONE, 15.Andrew NABBOUT, 18.Connor METCALFE, 19.Ben GARUCCIO, 20.Adrian LUNA, 22.Curtis GOOD

Melbourne City Bench: 2.Scott GALLOWAY, 16.Taras GOMULKA, 17.Stefan COLAKOVSKI, 23.Marco TILIO, 33.Matt SUTTON, 35.Raphael BORGES RODRIGUES, 36.Kerrin STOKES, 37.Bernado OLIVEIRA, 41.Zac KOCANKOVSKI, 43.Luke ORESTI, 44.Sam MORRISON

Nothing on the bench really, except Galloway. No mention of Berenguer.

We're 1-0 up through Maclaren and now it's 2-0 through O'Neill after 17 minutes. Club twitter.

Edited by jw1739

15 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Melbourne City XI: 1.Tom GLOVER, 3.Scott JAMIESON, 7.Rostyn GRIFFITHS, 8.Aiden O'NEILL, 9.Jamie MACLAREN, 11.Craig NOONE, 15.Andrew NABBOUT, 18.Connor METCALFE, 19.Ben GARUCCIO, 20.Adrian LUNA, 22.Curtis GOOD

Melbourne City Bench: 2.Scott GALLOWAY, 16.Taras GOMULKA, 17.Stefan COLAKOVSKI, 23.Marco TILIO, 33.Matt SUTTON, 35.Raphael BORGES RODRIGUES, 36.Kerrin STOKES, 37.Bernado OLIVEIRA, 41.Zac KOCANKOVSKI, 43.Luke ORESTI, 44.Sam MORRISON

Nothing on the bench really, except Galloway. No mention of Berenguer.

We're 1-0 up through Maclaren and now it's 2-0 through O'Neill after 17 minutes. Club twitter.

I would say that bench is pretty talented!! Said it earlier in the week, replace Berenguer in January bloke hasn't played a single minute, 

https://www.melbournecityfc.com.au/news/a-league-pre-season-report-melbourne-city-3-2-western-united

City picked up where they left off against Western United only two weeks ago with a strong City starting eleven flexing their muscle in the forward third.

The visitor’s forward press caused havoc for United and the early signs were there for City when after 2 minutes, a turnover saw Metcalfe lay off to Noone who forced Kurto to save.

It was only a matter of time before City found their first goal and after seven minutes, it was none other than Jamie Maclaren who found the back of the net. A turnover caused by Nabbout opened the door for Maclaren with space inside the penalty area to finish into the top corner and give his side the lead.

It was a slick City outfit moving forward and a second was only a matter of time away as Aiden O’Neill netted his first goal in City colours. A play that was worked out from Tom Glover all the way to the final third saw United clear into the path of O’Neill who drove his effort into the top corner from 25-yards.

The dominant opening period saw United slowly work their way into the match and the catalyst was Alessandro Diamanti. The Italian was crucial in chances leading up to their reply and was the man behind the ball over the City defence in the 43rd minute.

His dink to Wales saw the former City attacker hold up the ball and lay off to Connor Pain who – with acres of space inside the penalty area – finished into the bottom corner to give his side a chance heading into the break.

With changes at the half seeing Tilio and Galloway enter the game for Noone and Jamieson, City put the end of the first half behind them as they continued their dominant performance. Chances to O’Neill and Maclaren were the prelude to the latter’s goal after 71 minutes with Kurto keeping both chances out.

He couldn’t do it a third time as Maclaren found himself in the right place at the right time as Galloway’s cross alluded the legs of the Western defence and Connor Metcalfe as the Socceroos striker made no mistake, poking past Kurto.

The goal saw City immediately clear the bench with its young scholarship and youth players enter the match.

Western United found their consolation after 78 minutes as Cavallo’s cross to the back post saw substitute goalkeeper Matt Sutton see his effort to catch the floating cross fall into the path of Stamatelopoulos who tapped home.

50 minutes ago, haz said:

Berenguer can fuck off

I am totally sick of waiting for him to do anything at all. Seems like he wants to bludge through pre season with a fake injury or low level complaints only to appear a week or so before the season begins. Shit attitude. He did the same thing last season by the way. he can go in my opinion. the sooner the better. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, citymad said:

I am totally sick of waiting for him to do anything at all. Seems like he wants to bludge through pre season with a fake injury or low level complaints only to appear a week or so before the season begins. Shit attitude. He did the same thing last season by the way. he can go in my opinion. the sooner the better. 

Perhaps I'm not quite so anti, but I agree he's a very frustrating player, and I'd rather see one of our young players who we have a reasonable chance of developing and seeing something from in the future. IMO that's a better strategy then persisting with Berenguer in the squad. Can't be good for morale either.

The problem is that if he doesn't want to go we've signed him for another season and there's not much we can do about it. Paying a player out still counts in the salary cap.

1 hour ago, citymad said:

This is demonstrably false.
Agree that his injury record is incredibly frustrating and he's approaching a point where if he can't run out a strong season then serious questions need to be asked as to his future with us, but to suggest its cos his lazy or faking and injury is horseshit.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, haz said:

Pretty sure Petrillo requires marquee prospects to include a "injury history" section on their CVs..... Although for this club, the longer the list the more likely you are to be signed.

Before coming to City he was with Sochaux in France Ligue 2. In 2016/17 he missed a total of 17 matches when he was "not in the squad", and then in 2017/18 he missed 9 for the same reason. None are shown as injury though. (Transfermarkt).

Hardly impressive. 

13 minutes ago, bt50 said:

https://t.co/gY1ECiwzsD?amp=1

Match report for Talking City from yesterday.

7 minutes ago, mattyh001 said:

awesome, love your work 😎

Agree. Bloody brilliant report. 

Very puzzled why attendance was limited when there were acres of space on the hills. Surely people know enough by now to "keep their distance?"

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Agree. Bloody brilliant report. 

Very puzzled why attendance was limited when there were acres of space on the hills. Surely people know enough by now to "keep their distance?"

Who knows, im sure there'll be some sort of logic behind the capped numbers but it definitely seemed like overkill. Was fantastic to be back watching the lads live though, and a cracking day for it

4 hours ago, bt50 said:

This is demonstrably false.
Agree that his injury record is incredibly frustrating and he's approaching a point where if he can't run out a strong season then serious questions need to be asked as to his future with us, but to suggest its cos his lazy or faking and injury is horseshit.

Actually, you dont know that this isn't the case.

The excessivly long pre season and Aussie heat is not to the Europeans liking in general. This is the second season Berenguer has been out injured in the lead up to the A league start. 

4 hours ago, citymad said:

The excessivly long pre season and Aussie heat is not to the Europeans liking in general. This is the second season Berenguer has been out injured in the lead up to the A league start. 

He was out a lot in the first season too, I don’t have the stats but I think he’s only played 60-70% of the available games. 

I think we all agree that he is a big softy of the pitch and even when plays he pulls out of challenges more often than not.

Just not a player we can build on.

Edited by Mr MO
  • Like 1

In 2018/19 he played for the full 90 minutes just 5 times and those were in the first 6 league matches of the season. He was then out for 4 matches with a muscle injury, and then was omitted for the next two. He did not play 90 for the rest of the season, and on two further occasions he was omitted from the squad.

In 2019/20 he missed 3 of the 5 FFA Cup matches we played. He was omitted from the squad for the first 6 league matches, didn't get off the bench in the next one and was omitted in the one after that. then managed 36 minutes and spent the two after that on the bench. In fact he didn't get going until 3rd January starting a run of 14 matches before missing the final league match of the season. He played in the two finals matches.

When you look at it, it doesn't really make sense re-signing him.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, citymad said:

Actually you do.

You sound like you are suggesting he has intentionally chosen to fake injury to not play, which for a proffessional athlete of any level is just absurd.

I 100% agree that his level of availability and matches completed is way below "normal" what is acceptable and I would seriously question the value of keeping him.

For me he appears to be one of those players that unless he is 100% fit and 100% confident he plays like shit and he knows it. So the moment he has a niggle or knock that some players would more than likely hide he reveals and with his legitimate injury history the medical staff err on the side of caution. 

But to say he is soft or lazy or just generally couldn't be fucked is in my opinion completely wrong.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Jovan said:

Actually you do.

You sound like you are suggesting he has intentionally chosen to fake injury to not play, which for a proffessional athlete of any level is just absurd.

I 100% agree that his level of availability and matches completed is way below "normal" what is acceptable and I would seriously question the value of keeping him.

For me he appears to be one of those players that unless he is 100% fit and 100% confident he plays like shit and he knows it. So the moment he has a niggle or knock that some players would more than likely hide he reveals and with his legitimate injury history the medical staff err on the side of caution. 

But to say he is soft or lazy or just generally couldn't be fucked is in my opinion completely wrong.

You’ve just described the word “soft” yourself in the second last paragraph.

3 hours ago, Jovan said:

Actually you do.

Your second, and fourth and fifth, paragraphs are almost contradictory. Maybe not faking an injury, but making far more of it than other players do. Many people at all levels play on and compete even though they are injured. How about Jess Fishlock when the girls won the GF at AAMI? Some do it week after week against all advice, because they just want to play. Did it myself when I was young.

• Like 1