Melbourne Football

2021 Preseason Friendlies

Deluka

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Tommykins said:

Tilio in the midfield 3, apparently. Not sure I saw that coming.

Seems more makeshift to me, with several midfield players not available to start yet. This time around Griffith played CB, Berenguer didn’t play and then there’s the Olyroos with Metcalf.

3 hours ago, Mr MO said:

Seems more makeshift to me, with several midfield players not available to start yet. This time around Griffith played CB, Berenguer didn’t play and then there’s the Olyroos with Metcalf.

I'd really like to know why Berenguer was not playing. Don't tell me he's injured again...

2 hours ago, CityBoyz said:

And this is why we need to use our last visa spot on a attacking midfielder. 

You would have thought we would have  signed somebody by now if we were interested, 7 weeks out from season start and other leagues well under way.

Edited by Mr MO

2 hours ago, CityBoyz said:

And Florin, Galloway and Colakovski didn’t play again so they must be injured like they were in the first friendly vs victory 

Once we get that kind of absenteeism IMO the squad looks pretty weak. The off-season has seen the departures of Brillante, Delbridge, Wales, Genreau, Ianucci, Najjarine (loan) and Najjar (loan), to be replaced by Garuccio, O'Neill, Gomulka,Tilio and Nabbout.

I'm not sure we've got this "depth" that people are going on about.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

Do we think that the Australian ACL team will have an advantage starting the league with several games of competitive football in the legs?

Not particularly imo. The other AL clubs will have played 4 or 5 friendlies between themselves by the time the season rolls around, and without the negative side effects of quarantines and playing in Qatar. IMO it will even out a bit in the end.