Melbourne Football

New Home End Name Submissions

Jimmy

The Cape.

Cape Helles is at the tip of Gallipoli, which has a steep hill that looks out to sea.

It was the site of battle back in 1915, and is now the home of a memorial for over 20,000 lost soldiers from the battle of Gallipoli.

I drew parallels with the name 'The Kop'.

For those who don't know, its named after a hill in South Africa called 'Spion Kop', which was the tallest hill near the scenes of a battle between the British and a sovereign Boer group in 1900. The battle ended in heavy British defeat.

In the early 20th century some journos apparently coined the term, and many clubs supporters started to adopt it for their home end, drawing parallels with the steep nature of the hill and their terraces, which was almost always a single-tiered stand, like we have at AAMI Park.

Anyway, just another name to throw on the pile...

Edited by LR9
  • Like 6

Spot on malloy. It's like the situation we had on here when offering suggestions to improve yarraside. Those not part of the group are more than welcome to offer suggestions but that's where it stops. The final decision always should come down to those that are running it. If anyone feels that strongly about something, such as the name, then they best get involved and go to the meetings to make their voices heard. Otherwise any suggestion they provide will merely be only a suggestion.

:up:   Yep, no harm in people putting up ideas, good, bad or indifferent, but in the end it should be the decision of the new active group to decide what they are happy to run with. No issue with me. All credit to King Malta, Jimmy and others actively involved and I've said before that I'm more than happy to donate a few shekels to new banners, etc - just like we rallied around the red&white campaign towards the end of last season.

Spot on malloy. It's like the situation we had on here when offering suggestions to improve yarraside. Those not part of the group are more than welcome to offer suggestions but that's where it stops. The final decision always should come down to those that are running it. If anyone feels that strongly about something, such as the name, then they best get involved and go to the meetings to make their voices heard. Otherwise any suggestion they provide will merely be only a suggestion.

:up:   Yep, no harm in people putting up ideas, good, bad or indifferent, but in the end it should be the decision of the new active group to decide what they are happy to run with. No issue with me. All credit to King Malta, Jimmy and others actively involved and I've said before that I'm more than happy to donate a few shekels to new banners, etc - just like we rallied around the red&white campaign towards the end of last season.

Shekels is too ethnic. Not FFA approved.

On second thought, Israeli. Approved!!! :lowy:

• Like 1

Shekels is too ethnic. Not FFA approved.

On second thought, Israeli. Approved!!! :lowy:

Hahaha, well could arrange for currency conversion to rupee or dinar if necessary - Bitcoin anybody?

I suggested this earlier but didn't attach the meaning behind it, I think it's a good fit.

The Borough -

The word borough derives from common Germanic *burg, meaning fort:

compare with bury (England), burgh (Scotland), Burg (Germany), borg (Scandinavia), pori (Finland), burcht (Dutch), and the Germanic borrowing present in neighbouring Indo-european languages such as borgo (Italian), bourg (French), burgo (Spanish and Portuguese), burg (Romanian), purg (Kajkavian) and durg (दर्ग) (Hindi) and "arg"(ارگ)(Farsi). The incidence of these words as suffixes to place names (for example, Canterbury, Strasbourg, Luxembourg, Edinburgh, Hamburg, Gothenburg) usually indicates that they were once fortified settlements.

In the Middle Ages, boroughs were settlements in England that were granted some self-government; burghs were the Scottish equivalent. In medieval England, boroughs were also entitled to elect members of parliament. The use of the word borough probably derives from the burghal system of Alfred the Great. Alfred set up a system of defensive strong points (Burhs); in order to maintain these settlements, he granted them a degree of autonomy. After the Norman Conquest, when certain towns were granted self-governance, the concept of the burh/borough seems to have been reused to mean a self-governing settlement.

Edited by Ruckoo

Posted this in the new supporter group thread but seeing as this thread seem dedicated to the topic...

There's some pretty dodgy names getting thrown around, I'm not in active but I consider those that are a representation of the club and it's supporters at large. Because of this, what this group is called and how they behave (ie. chants, banners etc) has a big impact on how the club and it's supporters are perceived.

I'd like to see a name with as little cringe value as possible, and this is a good chance for active supporters to honor the clubs inaugural years.

"The Hearts" would be nice, simple, has heritage in terms of our club and IMO no cringe value.

And in essence the active support IS The Heart of Melbourne City FC as I see it.

As an aside, please don't use the name of or a variation of a pub name you happen to frequent now, I don't get the fetish some seem to have with the imp but hey, I suppose as some of you get older you'll realize that pubs/bars are pretty much all the same, they come and go and none of them really matter or give a shit about you, just so long as you keep the taps flowing.

I agree "The Hearts" would be a nice gesture to the past. The 'Heart of Melbourne City' and might help get some of those hurt in Yarraside gradually back across.

The Southern Front?

The Yarra Front?

South End Faithful?

Could have incorporated the term "olympic" into it if we were situated on the northern end   :mellow:

edit: A nod to the (short) past? Like: The Heart Front

Edited by strider

Posted this in the new supporter group thread but seeing as this thread seem dedicated to the topic...

There's some pretty dodgy names getting thrown around, I'm not in active but I consider those that are a representation of the club and it's supporters at large. Because of this, what this group is called and how they behave (ie. chants, banners etc) has a big impact on how the club and it's supporters are perceived.

I'd like to see a name with as little cringe value as possible, and this is a good chance for active supporters to honor the clubs inaugural years.

"The Hearts" would be nice, simple, has heritage in terms of our club and IMO no cringe value.

And in essence the active support IS The Heart of Melbourne City FC as I see it.

As an aside, please don't use the name of or a variation of a pub name you happen to frequent now, I don't get the fetish some seem to have with the imp but hey, I suppose as some of you get older you'll realize that pubs/bars are pretty much all the same, they come and go and none of them really matter or give a shit about you, just so long as you keep the taps flowing.

I agree "The Hearts" would be a nice gesture to the past. The 'Heart of Melbourne City' and might help get some of those hurt in Yarraside gradually back across

The 'Heart of Melbourne City' would be a great name for the home end