Melbourne Football

2014/15 Nike Kits (Home, Away, Third)

Dylan

Their reluctance to sell the Away kit just makes it so obvious how much they are trying to rid of the red and white from the crowd.

yup

Doesn't help when all these people who fought for 'Keep Melbourne Red and White' have gone out and bought the new home kit.

I'm hearing they will not wear the away kit this season and it was just made because they had to have an away kit :hoff:

Edited by Dylan

Their reluctance to sell the Away kit just makes it so obvious how much they are trying to rid of the red and white from the crowd.

yup Doesn't help when all these people who fought for 'Keep Melbourne Red and White' have gone out and bought the new home kit.

I'm hearing they will not wear the away kit this season and it was just made because they had to have an away kit

Well to be fair, there isn't a need for an away kit with our home. Maybe just some change shorts for WSW.

I disagree with the premise that they are deliberately holding the away kit back. I think there are clear production issues with Nike and when forced to choose, of course they will want the home kit out first.

Even the home kit is very limited in stock at present.

I dont think there is a deliberate hold back either...

However considering the Home Kit was almost def what the club originally proposed as our Away Kit and the Stripes clearly a knock job done at the last minute when the FFA and SFC got there way... its hardly surprising that the Home Kit has come out a lot earlier than the Stripes.

I still think the home kit was a rushed job because of the FFA knock back rather than the away kit. When all the changes were announced along with David Villa, he was wearing a t-shirt with the logo and holding the away kit. So I still think the red and white stripes was always intended to be an away kit, since you would think if they had the home kit sorted he would have been holding that one in the photo instead.

My thinking too. I originally also felt the red and white away was a second thought but when it came to the rebrand/villa announcement the away jersey was the only option to give villa because of the FFA situation on the home kit. It took the club another 3 months to finally get Villa pictured in the eventual home kit (Which he looks very very nice in btw), which if it was the original away kit option, it wouldn't have taken so long.

Holding the away kit back to get more of the home kit out there, also giving away the free customisation through nike. Makes sense. They want to get as much of the new stuff out there. My guess away kit won't be available until days before the opening home game or after.

Fine...

I know for a fact that the Home Kit was intended to be the Away Kit but you can think what you want if it makes you feel happier.

Can get a name on the back from the Nike store online, but no 2XL.

Can get a 2XL from the Club store, but no names.

Call being made to the club tomorrow. Just a poor state of affairs. 

I'd give nike a call and talk to them about it first.

I think the club will charge another $30 for the name and number printing, but give them a buzz

Hey mate, let us know how you went..

I find it odd that there is no option on the club's store to add the number and name when ordering online.

Come on Melb City, surely you want to capitalise on this seeing that David Villa is coming to play!

Heck, I would even have ready made David Villa jersey to sell on the website for members... Geez..

Rang Nike, they said that they have no clue about it, maybe I just got a clueless staff..

Anyway..

It's pretty piss poor, honestly.

yup

Doesn't help when all these people who fought for 'Keep Melbourne Red and White' have gone out and bought the new home kit.

As long as they also buy an away shirt (and, as a secondary consideration, never wear the home shirt at a home game), I don't think there's a problem. The issue I can see is that the red and white shirts will sell like hot cakes in year 1, but then who's going to buy one in year 2? Ultimately, it's going to be about wearing the red and white, especially at home.

I'll probably buy both Nike shirts, but I intend to only ever wear Heart gear at home games.

Has there been any news on the goalkeeper kits? I wouldn't buy one...just curious.

Edited by SF33

One thing I've realised through my work is nike is too big to be pushed around. They do what they want when they want.

Whatever is going with the supply of the kit I have no doubt nike will be responsible for it and not the club

I see Nike akin to Apple.

They control the supplies.

Bugger the retailers and most importantly the customers..

One thing I've realised through my work is nike is too big to be pushed around. They do what they want when they want.

Whatever is going with the supply of the kit I have no doubt nike will be responsible for it and not the club

I see Nike akin to Apple.

They control the supplies.

Bugger the retailers and most importantly the customers..

Yeah I agree with the Nike and Apple analogy. But I think nike still values it's retailers and customers, but only the big ones like rebel sport etc. where there is a huge supply and demand for the products.

There are a few new items on the clubs store and i'll be honest i'm pretty disappointed in what they have, the quality and the look of them are quite disastrous. Where are the items that we are constantly seeing the players wear. The black hoodie, the sky blue training jacket. the black training shorts. The sky blue polo. These are great for supporter wear. 

• Like 1

I disagree with the premise that they are deliberately holding the away kit back. I think there are clear production issues with Nike and when forced to choose, of course they will want the home kit out first.

Even the home kit is very limited in stock at present.

I dont think there is a deliberate hold back either...

However considering the Home Kit was almost def what the club originally proposed as our Away Kit and the Stripes clearly a knock job done at the last minute when the FFA and SFC got there way... its hardly surprising that the Home Kit has come out a lot earlier than the Stripes.

I still think the home kit was a rushed job because of the FFA knock back rather than the away kit. When all the changes were announced along with David Villa, he was wearing a t-shirt with the logo and holding the away kit. So I still think the red and white stripes was always intended to be an away kit, since you would think if they had the home kit sorted he would have been holding that one in the photo instead.

My thinking too. I originally also felt the red and white away was a second thought but when it came to the rebrand/villa announcement the away jersey was the only option to give villa because of the FFA situation on the home kit. It took the club another 3 months to finally get Villa pictured in the eventual home kit (Which he looks very very nice in btw), which if it was the original away kit option, it wouldn't have taken so long.

Holding the away kit back to get more of the home kit out there, also giving away the free customisation through nike. Makes sense. They want to get as much of the new stuff out there. My guess away kit won't be available until days before the opening home game or after.

Fine...

I know for a fact that the Home Kit was intended to be the Away Kit but you can think what you want if it makes you feel happier.

Im swaying you way mate.

It makes more sense that the home kit was in fact the away kit considering how quick they were to anounce the strip designs after they got knocked back by the FFA.

I think they had the Red and White one as possible 3rd kit or plan B just in case they Sky Blue Home kit didnt get approved.

There are a few new items on the clubs store and i'll be honest i'm pretty disappointed in what they have, the quality and the look of them are quite disastrous. Where are the items that we are constantly seeing the players wear. The black hoodie, the sky blue training jacket. the black training shorts. The sky blue polo. These are great for supporter wear. 

My god they are proper shit.

I was considering grabbing a singlet for those games where it is thirty plus but it is just a shit design 

• Like 1

Totally agree.

So much merch that the players were weaing that i loved and i can g'tee it wont be for sale for a loooong time.

But like many people have stated, its probably more to do with Nike than the club

I was considering grabbing a singlet for those games where it is thirty plus but it is just a shit design 

Totally agree.

So much merch that the players were weaing that i loved and i can g'tee it wont be for sale for a loooong time.

But like many people have stated, its probably more to do with Nike than the club

You are right there. As soon as nike has some stuff for us all of this will disappear. If they make QPR, a premier league club choose from a template because its their first year with nike rather than letting them work with them, we have no hope. 

Edited by Dylan

Remember season 1 when Reebok didn't have any jerseys until the season was virtually over? We are a small club, the jersey's have been decided fairly late, the home jersey is based on an existing design and so is easier to produce in bulk. It's only costing Nike and the club sales without an away jersey.

I got mine from Sportsmart near the start of season 1! Westpac is the only sponsor on it.

Totally agree.

Every time I log on to the club web-site it seems to be bluer than before...

But remind me, did we ever have Heart training gear and other player apparel for sale to supporters? I seem to remember this subject coming up before. I know I wanted a wind-proof jacket at one stage but it was for players and staff only.

I don't fully understand why supplies are limited - I would have thought merchandise sales would have been a lot higher if the available range was greater.

Contacted the club to get an idea on date for the away kit, I know they've mentioned "they'll arrive when they arrive" but the more people contacting shows the demand i guess. Strange to get a reply email at 11pm though :/

I tried getting an answer too, I got this reply:

Thank you for your email.

We are eagerly anticipating the arrival of the Away jerseys from Nike and will be sure to make an official Club announcement as soon as they are delivered.

The product will be uploaded to the online Club shop in first instance.

Melbourne City FC appreciates your support for the exciting season ahead.

Contacted the club to get an idea on date for the away kit, I know they've mentioned "they'll arrive when they arrive" but the more people contacting shows the demand i guess. Strange to get a reply email at 11pm though :/

If you got a reply from the club at 11pm, it may well have come from Manchester.

In the last couple of years, the club's modus operandi has been to contract out a local online supplier (in the UK it's Kitbag) and then just act as the middleman between supplier and distributor. They provide estimates of how many shirts they expect to sell but if the actual sales are in excess then it's up to the distributor to source extra supplies, and obviously they have their own priorities. Meanwhile the club has to just sit there, pretending they are in control of the situation but actually with no power to influence anything.

It's one of the situations we're not really happy about in England, as well as Nike being the manufacturer full stop, but it's just one of those things you end up having to live with I guess.

Totally agree.

Every time I log on to the club web-site it seems to be bluer than before...

But remind me, did we ever have Heart training gear and other player apparel for sale to supporters? I seem to remember this subject coming up before. I know I wanted a wind-proof jacket at one stage but it was for players and staff only.

I don't fully understand why supplies are limited - I would have thought merchandise sales would have been a lot higher if the available range was greater.

I can't remember too well if there was much heart training gear that went on sale I'm just wanted to make comparison to the crappy supporter wear they have on line to what the players are wearing. I'd expect supporters gear from Nike in due course but right now besides the two sided scarf and of course the new home strip not much appeals to me.

If you got a reply from the club at 11pm, it may well have come from Manchester.

In the last couple of years, the club's modus operandi has been to contract out a local online supplier (in the UK it's Kitbag) and then just act as the middleman between supplier and distributor. They provide estimates of how many shirts they expect to sell but if the actual sales are in excess then it's up to the distributor to source extra supplies, and obviously they have their own priorities. Meanwhile the club has to just sit there, pretending they are in control of the situation but actually with no power to influence anything.

It's one of the situations we're not really happy about in England, as well as Nike being the manufacturer full stop, but it's just one of those things you end up having to live with I guess. You guys don't dig Nike gear? Do explain.

I'm finding this whole kit thing frustrating.

To explain I am more than happy to proudly wear my Heart jersey, but the girls i coach chipped in and gave me a voucher at Rebel "to buy a Melb City away jersey".  They would have bought the jersey, but.....

Frankly I think the whole thing is clearly a nasty marketing ploy.  They know the away jersey is more popular than the home, so they are only selling the home.  In the same way they know they won't sell a single sky blue scarf if ones in red and white are available, so are only selling double sided sky blue and red and white ones.  Clearly if you burn the sky blue part, you'll damage the red and white half at the same time.... 

Lucky I already have a red and white scarf.  But if not, there are always websites of other red and white clubs.  

• Like 2

I'm finding this whole kit thing frustrating.

To explain I am more than happy to proudly wear my Heart jersey, but the girls i coach chipped in and gave me a voucher at Rebel "to buy a Melb City away jersey". They would have bought the jersey, but.....

Frankly I think the whole thing is clearly a nasty marketing ploy. They know the away jersey is more popular than the home, so they are only selling the home. In the same way they know they won't sell a single sky blue scarf if ones in red and white are available, so are only selling double sided sky blue and red and white ones. Clearly if you burn the sky blue part, you'll damage the red and white half at the same time....

Lucky I already have a red and white scarf. But if not, there are always websites of other red and white clubs.

At the risk of sounding unpopular, this is not completely true. Most people I speak to actually like the new home jerseys. I for one do. I might be a bit biased but I like the sky blue, I however don't like the quality of merchandise they are selling. I will be purchasing the away Jersey purely because like many have said it will be a collector's item in years to come after it will most likely be fazed out and is it that much of a deal that they haven't sold the away top yet. I mean 100% of supporters previously already have the red n white Jersey. I say purchase the new top now be pataint and grab the away one when it eventually comes out.

U5byGhF.jpg?1

Can someone please tell me why we're selling this.

If you go to the Sydney FC web-site you'll find that they are selling the same item, only for Sydney FC. I haven't checked the other clubs, but my guess is they're selling something similar. You'll also see that Sydney's "club cap" the same fundamental design as our "media cap". My conclusion is that it's just shitty "generic" A-League merchandise, rather than club merchandise.

Actually, a bit fed up with the whole thing. I've got red-and-white apparel from the Heart days and I'll wear that until it falls to pieces. I'll probably fall to pieces myself before that happens. My concession to the new colours is the blue-and-white/red-and-white scarf, which I'll wear with pride because at least it is in our colours. I will not wear anything that is only sky blue, or sky blue plus navy, because that's not a fair representation our new home jersey.

Each to his own of course. I actually believe that we're all being conned in to being buying stuff we don't really like or want. I don't believe the "brand" business at all; Melbourne is so far away from Manchester and New York and although we all speak approximately the same language there are long-standing cultural differences between us.

• Like 4

U5byGhF.jpg?1

Can someone please tell me why we're selling this.

Actually, a bit fed up with the whole thing. I've got red-and-white apparel from the Heart days and I'll wear that until it falls to pieces. I'll probably fall to pieces myself before that happens.

in the exact same boat myself. Would rather wear my red and white kappa turtle neck shit then wear any of that Sydney fc merch.