Melbourne Football

2014/15 Nike Kits (Home, Away, Third)

Dylan

Those are 100% photoshopped. I like the away kit but I'll be wearing my season 1 reebok home jersey.

ISC 3rd kit for me, hate having to tear my head through those Reebok kits. I'm happy to lose the turtleneck though, but I see no reason why the home kit can't incorporate more red on it, other than the fact that City will change the shirt after 2 seasons to sky blue. 

That red and sky blue kit lookks great wish they considered having red and the sky blue together. At least we will have the away kit which will be red and white which I'm more than happy with. Have only got our season 1 kit but will buy that one for sure with Villa on the back :P

• Like 1

This seems to be a re-done article on Villa with some new information about the kits:

Spanish superstar David Villa heading to the A-League for a stint with Melbourne City

MATT WINDLEY

HERALD SUN

JUNE 06, 2014 10:42AM

DAVID Villa is set to take the A-League by storm later this year.

But the short-term acquisition of Spain’s all-time leading goalscorer could just be the first of an incredible string of signings for the newly branded Melbourne City Football Club as the Australian football landscape is turned on its head.

Melbourne City, formerly known as Melbourne Heart, announced its much-anticipated name change Thursday. And the club now owned by English Premier League giant Manchester City has made its first huge splash in to the market by luring Villa from sister club New York City FC.

The signing made headlines around the football world, with reports of the stunning development appearing on websites such as the BBC, Bleacher Report, Eurosport, the UK Independent and the Indian Express.

Villa said he was excited about the prospect of playing club football in Australia.

“It’s very good for me in every sense,” Villa said. “From a football point of view it’s the opportunity to play in a new league in a different country, and of course it will be ideal for me to get some competitive football in the period before the MLS season gets under way.

“I’m sure that playing for Melbourne City FC will be a marvellous experience.

“What I’ve always done throughout my career is do the best I possibly can. That is what I will do for Melbourne City FC in every game that I play for them.

“I’ll be giving everything for the team, just like I have with every club I’ve played for.”

Villa said he was looking forward to heading Down Under.

“It’s (Australia) somewhere I’ve never been lucky enough to visit, so if I do get the chance I’ll certainly be enjoying that wonderful opportunity.”

City’s head coach John van’t Schip said he was delighted Villa would be joining for part of the 2014-15 campaign.

“David Villa is still at the peak of his game; he is playing in his third World Cup in Brazil, has just won the Spanish league and is an instinctive and gifted striker who will contribute significantly to Melbourne City FC,” van’t Schip said.

“We are confident David will be an incredible asset to the playing group and his experiences in Europe and for his country will help our players not only on the pitch, but in training as well”, he added.

Melbourne City chief executive Scott Munn said Thursday: “It’s going to be truly exciting to have one of the world’s best footballers running out for Melbourne City FC. “It’s already generated a lot of interest but, from our point of view, the value of having a player of that calibre on the training ground and around the club is going to be equally important.”

Villa is likely to be available for games between October — when the 2014-15 season begins — and December.

A-League clubs are permitted to sign one guest player per season, with wages to be paid outside of the $2.55 million salary cap, for a maximum of 10 games.

But the sting in the tail is that Melbourne City has not yet confirmed Villa’s status.

There is the potential that he could be categorised as a player on loan from New York and take up one of the five visa — overseas player — slots.

That could allow City to sign another guest player for a 10-game stint if it so wished. Villa is not a permanent signing, so City can and will sign another superstar player as its international marquee.

It will also snare a high-profile Australian marquee player — likely to be either of Socceroos Mark Bresciano or Josh Kennedy.

Melbourne City has six slots left to fill in its 23-man squad for next season, including three visa players. It is 133 days since Manchester City took over Melbourne Heart.

Munn said coach John van ‘t Schip was working closely with staff in Manchester to “create the strongest possible squad” for the club.

“David Villa coming here is obviously a high-profile part of that,” he said. “But we expect to be making additional player announcements in the coming weeks.”

Yesterday the club, in its new guise, came alive and was officially rebranded.

City’s new home kit is predominantly white with a single blue stripe running vertically down one of the sides.

But fans of the red and white stripes worn by Heart in its previous four seasons should not fear — that strip will now be the away kit.

Nike was announced as its official on-field kit supplier.

It was long speculated that The City Group would rebrand the club after registering ‘Melbourne City Football Club’ as a trademark on January 16. A Victorian state league fourth division club of the same name, which is based in South Kingsville, sought to challenge the name change.

It also attempted to revert to an all sky blue home kit, in line with Man City, but its attempts to do so were thwarted when a protest by Sydney FC — who also wears sky blue — against the potential switch was upheld.

Munn said the new playing strips and crest should satisfy fans who were initially against any change to the club’s look.

“The new kits are a great expression of both the club’s traditional colours and its association with Manchester City FC and New York City FC,” he said.

“We’ve worked really hard to create an identity for Melbourne City FC that celebrates the traditions of the past but also positions us to succeed in the future.

“Between the name, the badge and our two new playing strips I think we’ve found a great balance that both existing supporters and new fans can get behind.”

The striker has scored 56 goals in 94 games for Spain, including five in his country’s 2010 World Cup-winning campaign, and may line up for the Spaniards against the Socceroos in Brazil on June 24.

That he might line up against the country where he will be residing was not lost on Villa.

“We’ve been drawn together in the same group and it’s going to be a difficult game for us. Australia will want to make things as hard as they possible can for an opponent like Spain, especially with being at a tournament like the World Cup. So I’m sure it won’t be an easy encounter for us, far from it.”

Villa scored 15 goals in 47 games for La Liga winners Atletico Madrid in 2013-14, playing in the European Champions League final defeat to Real Madrid in his first season since moving from Barcelona.

While playing for the Catalan club, he scored in the 3-1 Champions League final win over Manchester United in 2011, won two La Liga titles and a Club World Cup.

Heart, in its former guise, was formed in 2009 and has taken part in four A-League campaigns, making the finals for the first and only time in 2011-12.

The City Group announced its takeover of the club on January 23 for a fee of about $11 million.

It has long been speculated the club would change its name in time for the new season.

The club’s new home kit will be mainly white with blue stripe trim and the away kit will be red and white vertical stripes, like Heart’s old home kit.

Melbourne City will play its first game as a newly named club in the first-ever FFA Cup, a knockout competition based on England’s FA Cup, in early August.

Villa will not be available to play in that game as he will go on holidays after his international commitments with Spain conclude after the World Cup.

http://m.heraldsun.com.au/sport/football/spanish-superstar-david-villa-heading-to-the-aleague-for-a-stint-with-melbourne-city/story-fnk6rlg0-1226944133920

Edited by Murfy1
  • Like 1

The journalist seems to make it pretty clear that the shorts, and maybe/probably the socks, will be white, with maybe some blue trim.

And Munn IMO, with what he's saying and the way he's saying it, seems to be suggesting that the kits might be final. In particular, Munn saying "I think we've found a great balance" suggests there's finality about the kits. However, I don't want to "misinterpret" these statements from the club that are fairly open to interpretation, so I really wish that the club would make clear that these are the club kits and colours.

One other little thing I've noticed is that Villa wore sky blue for NYCFC, and white for us (and even held up both white and red & white jerseys):

65b614ba-8635-4b78-a710-cc427e2ccecc-460

article-2649303-1E7E1A7800000578-528_634

It's a real concern of mine that in a few years the club will have sky blue home jerseys, and maybe the current home jersey will become the away jersey. So I really wish that the club would unambiguously state that these kits that were unveiled ARE the club kits going forward.

Thankfully, I think the evidence is starting to accumulate to suggest that the current kits are the club's permanent kits. Maybe that's the case only because Man City can't get sky blue home kits. However, at this point, I'm maybe more interested in outcomes, and if the outcome is that Man City ARE sticking with the white (with some blue) home kit and the red and white away kit, then I might be able to get behind the club and eventually get a membership for next season (I'm still a while away from that though, with the above points being a key sticking point).

I should also just make it clear that I didn't start supporting this club 5 years ago because I wanted to obsess over club identity, and spend time engaged in long discussions and 'identity wars' about the club. As I really don't want to do that stuff; I became a supporter primarily for the football. However, club identity is important, and people deserve to get clarity and confirmation about the club's identity, so fears about the club changing its kits and colours in a few years can be made unjustified (because, sadly, right now, those concerns are all too legitimate).

If the club can just provide a bit more clarity and confirmation about the club kits going forward, then people like myself, who want Melbourne Heart to have a real part in this new club's future, can start looking at the football and the "additional player announcements" that will happen "in the coming weeks", and can possibly finally get past identity.

This seems to be a re-done article on Villa with some new information about the kits:

Munn said the new playing strips and crest should satisfy fans who were initially against any change to the club’s look.

“The new kits are a great expression of both the club’s traditional colours and its association with Manchester City FC and New York City FC,” he said.

“We’ve worked really hard to create an identity for Melbourne City FC that celebrates the traditions of the past but also positions us to succeed in the future.

“Between the name, the badge and our two new playing strips I think we’ve found a great balance that both existing supporters and new fans can get behind.”

That is seriously a load of BS that most either don't care about or are just happy/prepared to ignore, Those are the colours of Man City and that home jersey is as close as they where allowed to get to the Man City jersey. There is no compromise in the home shirt. If they have worked hard on it, it's only been for a few days after the Sky Blue shirt was rejected. The away shirt is what they are hanging their compromise hat on and that is fine for many here but I can't see that lasting more than a few years. I don't like being taken for a fool by statements like this from the club and is just more reasons for me not to follow them any more. As the days go one my position is becoming more clear in my own mind.

I don't think you will be getting any clarity on this Murf as they won't want to commit to anything.

That is seriously a load of BS that most either don't care about or are just happy/prepared to ignore, Those are the colours of Man City and that home jersey is as close as they where allowed to get to the Man City jersey. There is no compromise in the home shirt. If they have worked hard on it, it's only been for a few days after the Sky Blue shirt was rejected. The away shirt is what they are hanging their compromise hat on and that is fine for many here but I can't see that lasting more than a few years. I don't like being taken for a fool by statements like this from the club and is just more reasons for me not to follow them any more. As the days go one my position is becoming more clear in my own mind.

I don't think you will be getting any clarity on this Murf as they won't want to commit to anything.

I think that this will happen too. The difference is that the CFG won't be outsiders, hopefully they'll even start some dialogue with fans by then and the change will come from within rather than the current situation where it feels imposed from outside.

Heart_Alternate.jpg

Me too. Anyways.

Great work. Can anyone show us how it would look with three stripes (navy as well)? At least that would make sense from the whole 'brotherhood' perspective and I think that would actually be seen by most as a really, really cool concept for the home shirt. Just one stripe would have made it so perfect.