Melbourne Football

2014/15 Nike Kits (Home, Away, Third)

Dylan

Lucky I already have a red and white scarf. But if not, there are always websites of other red and white clubs.

Hang on, are you saying you would encourage buying merch of another club because of its colour?

I couldn't wait for the new away kit so ended up buying an Adelaide red top to wear to our games

• Like 3

this polo is sweet

Hang on! Is that a top button done up? Oh my god! Now I am going to have to post ad nauseum about how it's disgraceful, as I am firmly against top buttoning!

But it's also merch as well! And I am pro merch because if everyone wears what I think is the best then the club will be better off!

So I don't know if I am against this or for it!

*head implodes

Edited by KSK_47
  • Like 3

this polo is sweet

Hang on! Is that a top button done up? Oh my god! Now I am going to have to post ad nauseum about how it's disgraceful, as I am firmly against top buttoning!

But it's also merch as well! And I am pro merch because if everyone wears what I think is the best then the club will be better off!

So I don't know if I am against this or for it!

*head implodes

owe you a like, I lol'd

I think the real problem with having the top button done up is not so much that it isn't merch or that it's disrespectful it is that it makes you look like a complete tool (I do concede you are entitled to dress like a tool if you want). Ironically enough half of the shirts were sky blue as well. Wait a few years and look back at your photos with your top button done up and realise you were just some muppet following a poor fashion trend. It's right up there with happy pants (thanks mc hammer). And the funniest thing is that half these 15 year olds can't do up a button on a proper shirt with a tie...... Kids these days. Anyway it gives me a good laugh every time I see someone dress like this. That Hoffman does only confirms for me why I would never do this.

• Like 1

I think the real problem with having the top button done up is not so much that it isn't merch or that it's disrespectful it is that it makes you look like a complete tool (I do concede you are entitled to dress like a tool if you want). Ironically enough half of the shirts were sky blue as well. Wait a few years and look back at your photos with your top button done up and realise you were just some muppet following a poor fashion trend. It's right up there with happy pants (thanks mc hammer). And the funniest thing is that half these 15 year olds can't do up a button on a proper shirt with a tie...... Kids these days. Anyway it gives me a good laugh every time I see someone dress like this. That Hoffman does only confirms for me why I would never do this.

Not that you prove my point or anything

Contacted the club to get an idea on date for the away kit, I know they've mentioned "they'll arrive when they arrive" but the more people contacting shows the demand i guess. Strange to get a reply email at 11pm though :/

If you got a reply from the club at 11pm, it may well have come from Manchester.

In the last couple of years, the club's modus operandi has been to contract out a local online supplier (in the UK it's Kitbag) and then just act as the middleman between supplier and distributor. They provide estimates of how many shirts they expect to sell but if the actual sales are in excess then it's up to the distributor to source extra supplies, and obviously they have their own priorities. Meanwhile the club has to just sit there, pretending they are in control of the situation but actually with no power to influence anything.

It's one of the situations we're not really happy about in England, as well as Nike being the manufacturer full stop, but it's just one of those things you end up having to live with I guess. You guys don't dig Nike gear? Do explain.

It's because of a couple of reasons: for one, we were with Umbro before Nike. Umbro are a Manchester-based company which always prided themselves on local values and had a touch of handcrafting to their kits which most other manufacturers aren't interested in these days, not to mention that they'd made a number of well-regarded kits for us before Nike bought them out and stole the contract for producing City's kits off them before selling the company on again. Although we'd had other kit manufacturers in the last 20 years, Umbro also go a long way back, and I've seen suggestions that they were making kits for Manchester City as far back as WW2 or earlier. City fans basically didn't want to see Umbro gone, especially several years before the end of the contract, but predictably we had no say in the matter. Secondly is that for several years before we changed to Nike, the scum from Trafford (apologies for any of you who are fans) had already had Nike, and had produced several kits which made them absolute laughing stocks, amongst which the ridiculous chevron kits of 2009-10 and the tea towel kit of 2012-13. Aside from that we simply didn't want to share a kit manufacturer with our bitterest rivals, we feared that Nike would produce kits for us that would similarly make us a target for mockery. Thankfully that hasn't happened quite yet, but there has been a noticeable drop-off in quality of materials used since the Umbro days, as well as several kits with iron-on transfers for kit badges and sponsors where Umbro always sowed on everything. Even though Nike haven't quite done anything to upset us, most of us simply can't let go on the suspicion that we have that we are always only one season away from being given an absolute travesty of a kit to wear. Basically, Nike just feels like a step into soulless mass production whereas Umbro was the loveable local retailer.

Edited by Falastur
  • Like 2

Contacted the club to get an idea on date for the away kit, I know they've mentioned "they'll arrive when they arrive" but the more people contacting shows the demand i guess. Strange to get a reply email at 11pm though :/

If you got a reply from the club at 11pm, it may well have come from Manchester.

In the last couple of years, the club's modus operandi has been to contract out a local online supplier (in the UK it's Kitbag) and then just act as the middleman between supplier and distributor. They provide estimates of how many shirts they expect to sell but if the actual sales are in excess then it's up to the distributor to source extra supplies, and obviously they have their own priorities. Meanwhile the club has to just sit there, pretending they are in control of the situation but actually with no power to influence anything.

It's one of the situations we're not really happy about in England, as well as Nike being the manufacturer full stop, but it's just one of those things you end up having to live with I guess. You guys don't dig Nike gear? Do explain.

It's because of a couple of reasons: for one, we were with Umbro before Nike. Umbro are a Manchester-based company which always prided themselves on local values and had a touch of handcrafting to their kits which most other manufacturers aren't interested in these days, not to mention that they'd made a number of well-regarded kits for us before Nike bought them out and stole the contract for producing City's kits off them before selling the company on again. Although we'd had other kit manufacturers in the last 20 years, Umbro also go a long way back, and I've seen suggestions that they were making kits for Manchester City as far back as WW2 or earlier. City fans basically didn't want to see Umbro gone, especially several years before the end of the contract, but predictably we had no say in the matter. Secondly is that for several years before we changed to Nike, the scum from Trafford (apologies for any of you who are fans) had already had Nike, and had produced several kits which made them absolute laughing stocks, amongst which the ridiculous chevron kits of 2009-10 and the tea towel kit of 2012-13. Aside from that we simply didn't want to share a kit manufacturer with our bitterest rivals, we feared that Nike would produce kits for us that would similarly make us a target for mockery. Thankfully that hasn't happened quite yet, but there has been a noticeable drop-off in quality of materials used since the Umbro days, as well as several kits with iron-on transfers for kit badges and sponsors where Umbro always sowed on everything. Even though Nike haven't quite done anything to upset us, most of us simply can't let go on the suspicion that we have that we are always only one season away from being given an absolute travesty of a kit to wear. Basically, Nike just feels like a step into soulless mass production whereas Umbro was the loveable local retailer.

Man Utd were Umbro for years before Nike though

Edited by KSK_47

I did not know umbro was a Manchester brand. Fair enough.

In melbourne our local brand is the mighty COVO. Im personally pissed off myself we haven't used them tbh. Probably something to do with being owned by your mob and contractual agreements.

You say you are worried Nike would supply a horrible looking kit, how can you guarantee umbro wouldn't make a mistake just once?

• Like 2

I find it ironic that you are pro top buttons but anti merch yet willing to stick the boot into someone who is pro neither? Insecure much. I've made the clear point that many of the anti merch anti sky blue crew WORE sky blue week in week out. I think you might have missed the obvious sarcasm in my post (yet expected me to 'get' yours) Perhaps your tight top button is making air supply to your brain a little short?

Edit: I thought you might appreciate this too.

http://www.theage.com.au/executive-style/style/stitched-up/four-spring-mens-trends-you-should-know-about-20141003-10ppkh.html

made me laugh

Edited by wombegongal

I find it ironic that you are pro top buttons but anti merch yet willing to stick the boot into someone who is pro neither? Insecure much. I've made the clear point that many of the anti merch anti sky blue crew WORE sky blue week in week out. I think you might have missed the obvious sarcasm in my post (yet expected me to 'get' yours) Perhaps your tight top button is making air supply to your brain a little short?

http://www.theage.com.au/executive-style/style/stitched-up/four-spring-mens-trends-you-should-know-about-20141003-10ppkh.html

made me laugh

Your obvious sarcasm isn't obvious and you come off sounding like a twat.

made me laugh

Your obvious sarcasm isn't obvious and you come off sounding like a twat.

The use of the word twat makes you sound like a tool.

Guess you never had Kappa then?

That would be where you are wrong:

shirt2.jpg

Indeed, the kit Dickov is wearing in my avatar is a kappa shirt, and probably the most loved shirt in the club's history, although that's by association of what happened while we were wearing it, not because of how it looked or how it felt to wear.

Man Utd were Umbro for years before Nike though

Yes they were, but such things don't last forever, and we rarely discuss the quality or relevance of shirts produced more than 5-10 years back. I think to an extent there's a tacit recognition that in the last decade or so, shirts in general have gone from carefully designed, tested and produced to cheap market goods sold on for ludicrous mark-ups, so there's a general willingness to mark off anything that happened more than a few years ago as the product of a different age. Besides, what United used to wear is broadly irrelevant when the real issue is that we didn't want a repeat of their disastrous Nike shirts. That's the real crux of the point.

I did not know umbro was a Manchester brand. Fair enough.

In melbourne our local brand is the mighty COVO. Im personally pissed off myself we haven't used them tbh. Probably something to do with being owned by your mob and contractual agreements.

You say you are worried Nike would supply a horrible looking kit, how can you guarantee umbro wouldn't make a mistake just once?

The honest answer is "we don't", although the Umbro bird has now decidedly flown so that's a question we won't have to answer anymore. The thing was, at the time they seemed to have a rapport with the fans that other manufacturers didn't. It helped that our last few kits before Umbro took over had been anywhere from the horrendous 90s embellishment-fest where kits were so busy with patterns and colour that they were simply horrendous to behold to really quite average kits with nothing to promote them at all, so it only took a couple of "back to basics" kits to win us over. By and large, what we want from a kit is simple: sky blue and a nice badge. We don't want other colours, we don't want patterns. Just make it monochromatic. Sky blue. It should take all of three seconds to design, and if it takes longer than that then you're doing it wrong. And Umbro delivered that. When the club pressed them for slightly different kits (because producing the same kit over and over again means fans don't fork out every 12 months) or when designing away kits, they produced a couple of popular decisions: they resurrected the beloved red and black stripes which we have asked for for years and never really had, ever since it became popular when it was brought in during our Golden Age in the 60s, and they brought out a home kit which included a pattern of the sound wave form of Bluemoon, taken from an in-stadium recording. It was touches like that that showed Umbro knew what we wanted, and reassured us that we were likely to get a classy product each year. We have no such confidence in Nike, who have given every indication that they couldn't really give two hoots what the fans think of their designs so long as they have their cash cow contracts.

Edited by Falastur

made me laugh

Lol, one of these arguments again.

The part that I find funny is that the ones who generally defend the non merch stance are not the young 15 yo kids that the pro merch advocates seem to always latch onto to bag.

made me laugh

I'm not anti merch. I just find it funny how upset and self righteous people get about other people "doing up their top button". I dont give a shit either way. You are right though. I didnt pick up on your sarcasm. It sounded like all the other legit crotchety "letter to the editor" type posts about young people being into fashion. 

The part that I find funny is that the ones who generally defend the non merch stance are not the young 15 yo kids that the pro merch advocates seem to always latch onto to bag.

Haha. Exactly! The fact he thinks that article would be of any interest to me just shows how far off he is

*And before this turns into an massive ongoing thing again I would just like to say, I was simply having a laugh. Lets just drop the whole thing

Edited by KSK_47
  • Like 1

Lucky I already have a red and white scarf. But if not, there are always websites of other red and white clubs.

Hang on, are you saying you would encourage buying merch of another club because of its colour?

I couldn't wait for the new away kit so ended up buying an Adelaide red top to wear to our games

Lol

Haha. Exactly! The fact he thinks that article would be of any interest to me just shows how far off he is

*And before this turns into an massive ongoing thing again I would just like to say, I was simply having a laugh. Lets just drop the whole thing

Malloy you assume I'm a pro merch person, nope I just think top buttons without ties is well crazy and idiotic especially in summer (yes I wear a shirt and tie everyday perhaps you do or don't understand this). I suspect you might have a personal agenda here and I'm sorry if I've offended your sensibilities.

KSK the article link is a joke, again your idea of poking fun only seems to go one direction. That's okay. I don't think it's a big thing and I to was having a laugh. I do however fully expect you to turn up to the first game with one of these polo's fully buttoned up to appease all on this forum. Top button and merch fans alike can revel in your brilliance.

Might I suggest (in my crotchety 'letter to the editor' tone) this is the looking and listening our blue overlords were doing last season and they managed to come up with this?

Edited by wombegongal

Malloy you assume I'm a pro merch person, nope I just think top buttons without ties is well crazy and idiotic especially in summer (yes I wear a shirt and tie everyday perhaps you do or don't understand this). I suspect you might have a personal agenda here and I'm sorry if I've offended your sensibilities.

KSK the article link is a joke, again your idea of poking fun only seems to go one direction. That's okay. I don't think it's a big thing and I to was having a laugh. I do however fully expect you to turn up to the first game with one of these polo's fully buttoned up to appease all on this forum. Top button and merch fans alike can revel in your brilliance.

Might I suggest (in my crotchety 'letter to the editor' tone) this is the looking and listening our blue overlords were doing last season and they managed to come up with this?

My comment was meant to be a mere observation. I wasn't trying to say you were on one side or the other, just wanted to point out that when these arguments happen on the forum that those who are pro merch tend to attack the image of the 15 year old with a buttoned up polo trying to look hard. When the people who are on the other side arguing are far from being those 15 year old kids. 

IMO if people want to wear merch they should and if people don't want to then they should be able to too.  It just irks me a bit that the ones who have a crack at the non merch wearers tend to also label them as less dedicated supporters., when from my experience of supporting Heart the ones who did not wear merch were always the ones putting in outrageous hours to make tifos and run the terrace.  (I guess that is my personal agenda)

FWIW I too wear shirt and tie everyday to work.

• Like 2

To change the topic away from polos (rivetting though it is)

Actually wearing other clubs merchandise isn't my own idea to be fair, I got it from the club- the're the ones re-badging Sydney and Man City gear and trying to flog it off to the unwary.

My position is that this club is red and white.  This is, if you like, a statement of fact and is regardless of the position or choices of the current owners.  So supporters should be able to buy red and white scarves.  If the current owners won't sell them, buy them off a club that will (eg Stoke, Sunderland etc).  If you're fussy then sew a Melbourne City badge on to it.

• Like 4

Actually wearing other clubs merchandise isn't my own idea to be fair, I got it from the club- the're the ones re-badging Sydney and Man City gear and trying to flog it off to the unwary.

My position is that this club is red and white.  This is, if you like, a statement of fact and is regardless of the position or choices of the current owners.  So supporters should be able to buy red and white scarves.  If the current owners won't sell them, buy them off a club that will (eg Stoke, Sunderland etc).  If you're fussy then sew a Melbourne City badge on to it.

It's also pretty easy to buy generic red-and-white bar scarves on-line. For example, http://www.amazon.com/Classic-Red-White-Bar-Scarf/dp/B001KO4182 and http://ruffneckscarves.bigcartel.com/product/red-and-white-bar-scarf

if you don't want any particular club to receive a couple of dollars from you!

Edited by jw1739

My position is that this club is red and white. This is, if you like, a statement of fact and is regardless of the position or choices of the current owners. So supporters should be able to buy red and white scarves. If the current owners won't sell them, buy them off a club that will (eg Stoke, Sunderland etc). If you're fussy then sew a Melbourne City badge on to it.

It's also pretty easy to buy generic red-and-white bar scarves on-line. For example, http://www.amazon.com/Classic-Red-White-Bar-Scarf/dp/B001KO4182 and http://ruffneckscarves.bigcartel.com/product/red-and-white-bar-scarf

if you don't want any particular club to receive a couple of dollars from you!

WHAT! 15 dollars highway robbery haha nah all good but it is a little steep for a simple bar scarf

So let me get this straight; a big organisation came in, decided to change your club's beloved jersey which the fans were not okay with, but had no say in the matter...hrmmm, I think I can relate...

• Like 3

I tried getting an answer too, I got this reply:

Thank you for your email.

We are eagerly anticipating the arrival of the Away jerseys from Nike and will be sure to make an official Club announcement as soon as they are delivered.

The product will be uploaded to the online Club shop in first instance.

Melbourne City FC appreciates your support for the exciting season ahead.

My wife contacted the club last week to ask about the Away jerseys coz she wanted to get me one for my birthday (since I didn't want the home kit) and the lady who apparently was the head of merchandise told her they expect the away jerseys to arrive from mid-to-late October...looking forward to my belated birthday present  :D