Melbourne Football

David Villa

kingofhearts

The new loan rules now mean that his salary at New York will count under our salary cap too.

I believe it's the Lampard Rule.

Unless they are paying him all of his salary through the guest contract here and paying him peanuts at New York.

Spot on most of his wage will be paid under the guest rule therefore any loan back will be on minimum wage

Scott munn did confirm on the membership day on sen that the 10 games don't have to be consecutive

This. Villa can play against Sydney and play in the Christmas derby as part of his 10 game guest stint as long as he misses 1 match prior to the round 11 Christmas derby. If I had to guess, I'd say that Villa will likely miss the round 8 away match against Wellington.

Edited by Murfy1
  • Like 1

Scott munn did confirm on the membership day on sen that the 10 games don't have to be consecutive

This. Villa can play against Sydney and play in the Christmas derby as part of his 10 game guest stint as long as he misses 1 match prior to the round 11 Christmas derby. If I had to guess, I'd say that Villa will likely miss the round 8 away match against Wellington.

So we are all convinced he will play ten or the fact he will be here up until Christmas? Keep in mind his family is back in the states, nycfc will not want their star player burnt out before their pre season, I have a feeling we may only have him for a handful of games

Let's not forget that Villa is here first to play football and make as much of an impact on the pitch as possible ... I was surprised that Villa didn't arrive to a fan fare as requested by Villa himself ... From his eagerness to begin training almost immediately shows me that he is all business, he is here for 1 thing and 1 thing only and that is to help us win as many games as possible..

Most of the Victory fucks thought he was coming here for a holiday... Can't wait until the first Darby

• Like 2

Great :mellow: ......could of been nice to find out what time he arrived so we (as Melburnians) could of given the guy a welcome with 200 of us rocking up to the airport or something, thats a little bad light from the club for not giving us this info to show him our welcome :mellow:

Oh well he's here now

Imagine 200 of us singing 'We are Melburnians' whilst holding our scarves up in the airport, sending shivers down my spine just thinking about it...... Tomby my man! It would of been wicked! Are we going to belt that out at AAMI this season?

Murf, do you have a copy of the latest rules on this? Irrespective of what Munn says, the latest I can find on guest players is that the 10 matches must be consecutive.

Edited by jw1739

FWIW my preference is for David Villa to sit out the Sydney match alongside JvS so he can have a good look at his team-mates and the way they play. Then bring him in for his first match at home against Newcastle.

That way his ten-match guest stint will include 6 home matches, and conclude with the Christmas Derby.

If he plays against Sydney he won't be eligible for the Derby, and we'll see him in only 5 home matches.

In saying that, how are we going to score if he doesn't play? Whilst he might not understand how the team and all the tactics work i can't honestly see us kicking a winning score without him on there. Class is permanent and he is a good enough player to be able to score when given the chance.

Williams (I know you have a really healthy hatred for him but he's capable of scoring), Duff, Koren, Dugandzic and Mooy are all capable of scoring a goal.

I'd hardly rule us out simply because Villa's not playing. Our team may have flaws but you're completely underselling them.

Edited by King Malta
  • Like 1

Murf, do you have a copy of the latest rules on this? Irrespective of what Munn says, the latest I can find on guest players is that the 10 matches must be consecutive.

Just found the rule, that I mentioned a while ago. I kept finding the old rule as well, so I also thought it was 10 consecutive games, but then I found the new rule as stated here:

• Like 1

it would be a bit disappointing if his last game was away. As others have mentioned, the easiest option would be to have him miss the wellington match away and that way he'll have a final send off at aami park in front of a sell out crowd and the furthest he would have to travel in the time he is here will be to Brisbane. 

Just found the rule, that I mentioned a while ago. I kept finding the old rule as well, so I also thought it was 10 consecutive games, but then I found the new rule as stated here:

Thanks Murf, that's great. I find it so hard to find the latest FFA/A-League rules on anything as there are so many versions lurking around.

So, depending on whatever Kreis and JvS agree on, and what suits Villa personally with his family in NY etc., he can play for us when we want him to! 

• Like 1

FWIW my preference is for David Villa to sit out the Sydney match alongside JvS so he can have a good look at his team-mates and the way they play. Then bring him in for his first match at home against Newcastle.

That way his ten-match guest stint will include 6 home matches, and conclude with the Christmas Derby.

If he plays against Sydney he won't be eligible for the Derby, and we'll see him in only 5 home matches.

In saying that, how are we going to score if he doesn't play? Whilst he might not understand how the team and all the tactics work i can't honestly see us kicking a winning score without him on there. Class is permanent and he is a good enough player to be able to score when given the chance.

Williams (I know you have a really healthy hatred for him but he's capable of scoring), Duff, Koren, Dugandzic and Mooy are all capable of scoring a goal.

I'd hardly rule us out simply because Villa's not playing. Our team may have flaws but you're completely underselling them.

The proof will be in the pudding i guess, we can maybe steal a game or two without a striker but the matter needs to be addressed immediately if we are going to be in the top echelon of the league

The proof will be in the pudding i guess, we can maybe steal a game or two without a striker but the matter needs to be addressed immediately if we are going to be in the top echelon of the league

Equal 2nd in golden boot doesn't make Williams a striker? 

We stole more than a game or two last season with Williams as a striker, and that was in a team who's midfield was far inferior to the one we'll be putting out in round one.

He's nowhere near as bad as you make out, give it a rest.

Edited by King Malta
  • Like 2

Yes, I think people are forgetting that a striker without the service that suits his particular style of play is not going to score a lot of goals just by himself. And I think Heart has demonstrated that over the past four seasons. Possibly the best example being Josip Tadic.

Duff is here, at this stage, for just the one season, but we have Koren for two seasons, Mooy for three, and Paartalu for four. These are the players who have to boss the midfield and set up the chances, as well as scoring the odd goal themselves.

No-one has the perfect squad. It's up to JvS and his coaching team to drill the squad to get the best out of what they have available on the day. Willo will never be the same sort of striker as Villa is, and our current midfield is good enough to understand that and adjust accordingly.

• Like 3

Some good stuff from http://news.theage.com.au/breaking-news-sport/aleague-coaches-praise-villa-20141007-3hgok.html

Adelaide United coach and countryman Josep Gombau said he hoped football fans realised the significance of Villa's arrival.

"It's a big deal to have him here," he said.

"He will bring a lot to the league because he's a player that not just here to enjoy the experience, he's a winner."

"He will bring everything to his club."

If there were any suggestions Villa would treat his tour down under as a holiday, they have been removed by his media appearances.

Villa has barely smiled during his interviews, but looks determined rather than miserable.

In Melbourne for 10 matches only, Villa said his focus was football and not sightseeing.

"There will be opportunities for me to get to see the city and enjoy it, but priority number one is the game."

Equal 2nd in golden boot doesn't make Williams a striker? 

Good stats on a bad team doesn't make you a good player besides where did that get the team? You would've with him coming out of contract last season all the good teams like Victory, WSW and Brisbane would've been cueing up to get him hmmmm.........

We stole more than a game or two last season with Williams as a striker, and that was in a team who's midfield was far inferior to the one we'll be putting out in round one.

He's nowhere near as bad as you make out, give it a rest.

Stole one or two games? And where did that get us? So overrated its silly but dw, forget about all the misses and lets just focus on all the goals he got from the penalty spot. He'll be gone or he'll be playing a minimum role by the end of the season, so i'll be able to give it a rest then 

City's squad excited about Villa - Kisnorbo

By Michael Huguenin

07/10/2014 

The newly installed Melbourne City skipper reckons he saw enough at Monday's training to convince him David Villa will make a big mark on the A-League

It's not just A-League fans who are excited by the arrival of David Villa with Melbourne City captain Patrick Kisnorbo claiming he can already see why the Spaniard has "mixed with the best".

Villa trained with City for the first time on Monday after arriving from parent club New York City ahead of his 10-game loan stint in Melbourne, and Kisnorbo said the former Barcelona and Atletico Madrid striker quickly showed his quality.

Apart from sprinting drills, Villa completed a full session at La Trobe University and will train on Wednesday, Thursday and Friday in the hope of proving his fitness to coach John van 't Schip.

Both Van 't Schip and New York City football operations director Claudio Reyna told Goal on Tuesday that if Villa puts his hand up to play, he will be involved when the A-League's newest club faces Sydney FC on Saturday night, and Kisnorbo claimed it will be a sight to see.

"His first touch is amazing, he creates his own space, I don't want to reveal too much but, yeah, you can see why he mixes with the best," the central defender told Goal.

Kisnorbo admitted the rest of the City squad were a bit like fans when Villa arrived.

"I think the excitement was there. You know, we have a player amongst the playing group who's won a World Cup, won a European Cup, all-time goal-scorer for Spain," he said.

"I think the excitement of that alone, you know, we're a fortunate bunch of guys to have that and we're fortunate to have him in our playing group."

Reyna claimed "it'll be very hard to hold [Villa] back" this week with the 32-year-old striker desperate to return to competitive action after over three months since his last proper match - Spain's final World Cup match in Brazil versus Australia.

Villa had a good night's sleep on Monday night - a good sign as he attempts to overcome jet lag.

"It's really a coach's decision, as well as how David feels...but David wants to play, he's a competitor...and I think we're definitely going to see some minutes of David Villa playing on Saturday," Reyna said.

Kisnorbo added the arrival of Villa - so soon after Alessandro Del Piero and Shinji Ono departed the A-League - is just another step in the right direction: "I think it's just great for the game in general, that a person of his stature is here in Australia, playing our great game."

http://www.goal.com/en-au/news/4021/a-league/2014/10/07/5163252/citys-squad-excited-about-villa-kisnorbo

I would not believe anything the flog David Davutovic writes. 

he was close to people at the club, dunno if he still is

I would not believe anything the flog David Davutovic writes.

he was close to people at the club, dunno if he still is Not any more the people he was close too where former board members from what I believe

I would not believe anything the flog David Davutovic writes. he was close to people at the club, dunno if he still is Not any more the people he was close too where former board members from what I believe

Davutovic was very close to Peter Sidwell, the former Chairman.

why would he start from the bench? what a waste of a game, remember he is here only on a 10 game stint. And no doubt those 10 games will be managed up until Christmas!!

Agree. Need to use him wisely!

God help us if this is to appease FFA or worst, Frank Lowy.

We shall just have to wait and see!

He will stay here as long as CFG like.

Once/if he plays his 10 games he can/will be loaned back for any additional period they fancy, with his MLS wage being declared at ~$60k, he'll easily slip inside the cap under the new loan rules.

Unless we get another visa player of course.

I would not believe anything the flog David Davutovic writes.he was close to people at the club, dunno if he still isNot any more the people he was close too where former board members from what I believe

Davutovic was very close to Peter Sidwell, the former Chairman.

Thought he was close to Didulica? Sidwell still has involvement with the club, and would obviously still have contact with a lot of the staff because he was the one who hired most of them all in the first place

I think there's just been a change in the attitude of everyone involved and CFG have made it clear the way they want things to be run. Davutovic obviously isn't getting as much information that he used to because of this.

He will stay here as long as CFG like.

Once/if he plays his 10 games he can/will be loaned back for any additional period they fancy, with his MLS wage being declared at ~$60k, he'll easily slip inside the cap under the new loan rules.

Well explained, I have been thinking this for a while and it could be a very good reason as to why we haven't signed another VISA player.

I would not believe anything the flog David Davutovic writes. he was close to people at the club, dunno if he still is Not any more the people he was close too where former board members from what I believe Davutovic was very close to Peter Sidwell, the former Chairman.

Thought he was close to Didulica? Sidwell still has involvement with the club, and would obviously still have contact with a lot of the staff because he was the one who hired most of them all in the first place

I think there's just been a change in the attitude of everyone involved and CFG have made it clear the way they want things to be run. Davutovic obviously isn't getting as much information that he used to because of this.

Peter Sidwell and the former board members where given Life Memberships by the club on Tuesday night. So they will be still floating around the club. But Davutovic won't have the same access as he has had in previous years. I can already see the the frustration brewing with him having a go at Scott Munn earlier in the week about media access to David Villa's arrival in Melbourne.

Edited by Heartman23

I would not believe anything the flog David Davutovic writes. he was close to people at the club, dunno if he still is Not any more the people he was close too where former board members from what I believe Davutovic was very close to Peter Sidwell, the former Chairman.

Peter Sidwell and the former board members where given Life Memberships by the club on Tuesday night. So they will be still floating around the club. But Davutovic won't have the same access as he has had in previous years. I can already see the the frustration brewing with him having a go at Scott Munn earlier in the week about media access to David Villa's arrival in Melbourne.

How about life memberships to season ticket holders who attended the crap dished up by Sidwell et al and his team for the last 2 seasons?

• Like 5