Melbourne Football

MH 2014/2015 Starting 11 based on contracted players only

Torn Asunder

I apologies in advance for the big post above, but these are the players listed at the moment for the club on the website obviously you will take Engelaar out and put Duff and Villa in there along with Mooy, Melling, Brown and Chapman but it seems our squad is still really thin at the moment particularly the defense it seems we may have many signings to be announced, are there any solid Australian defenders that will fit under the cap we could possibly pursue. I feel the foreign marquee will most certainly be midfield to forward, and we know that both Bresciano and Kennedy take up midfield and forward positions, it just seems a bit thin at the back at the moment. I'm a big believer in defense wins titles. thoughts?   

• Like 1

Goalkeepers
Defenders
Forwards

Decent formation... very direct! 

Only thing i'd change is i'd put Williams in goal and have redders up forward.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Doubtful we'll have lampard either. Probably swap lampard with murdocca. Put duga on the RW with villa at CF. Then Kennedy potentially comes in to replace him.

I think garuccio will play the LB role this season and I hope germano gets the RB role ahead of the hoff. Going by what people have said on here, germano is pretty solid there

Germano, Kisnorbo, Wielart, Garrucio

Mooy, Koren

Duff      

Duganzic, Williams, Villa        

This is how I reckon we will line up, better having the experienced players in the midfield as holding possession and precise passing is key, I also believe Kennedy will replace Villa mid season and front three will re arrange. I have omitted Lampard as he hasn't been confirmed in any way but if he does come for part of the season then i would expect Duff to front wing, Villa up front and Williams to bench. Also like to add still reckon we are a chance for Partaalu in cap so he would also considered being brought into the midfield. I have omitted a keeper because I feel we are better off without one...........no seriously either redmayne or Velaphi their skill level are both the same. 

Edited by drewmelbcity

I agree, he shouldn't be a first choice LB, but at the moment I don't know who else would take that spot. And he was played there for the last month or so of last season so perhaps that's where JVS wants him to play. I'll keep my fingers crossed that he doesn't get used there. He has a lot of attacking ability so I still think it would be a waste to have him at LB. 

I agree, he shouldn't be a first choice LB, but at the moment I don't know who else would take that spot. And he was played there for the last month or so of last season so perhaps that's where JVS wants him to play. I'll keep my fingers crossed that he doesn't get used there. He has a lot of attacking ability so I still think it would be a waste to have him at LB.

Regarding last season we basically had Ramsey who was inconsistent, Behich who was a shadow of his former self or garuccio. So putting him into left back for the last month of last season probably made sense. I'd rather for this season we play duff there, and with koren, villa, australian marquee all playing forward we will have enough firepower to score goals.

Expect our roster to be filled out by a quality DM who will take a majority of the remaining space and either Archibald or Retre on minimum wage. Plus Kennedy in January to replace Villa.

If anything can be learned from Brisbane's success is the importance of a quality midfield. Last season they dominated teams despite Franjic being injured and Stefanutto on the decline. Full backs don't have to be world beaters if your midfield can have the opposition chasing shadows.

• Like 3

Redmayne

Hoffman wielaert kisnorbo 'new signing'

Germano Mooy

Koren (sounds a done deal)

Mate villa duff

Subs: Mass, Tando, Garruccio, Chapman, Mauk

This squad would have quality depth by a-league standards imo. Particularly the midfield trio has plenty of goals in it. Sign Kennedy as aus marquee after Villa leaves and that is definitely a top four squad on paper IMO. Left back is by far the weakest position.

I'd also expect Mooy and Koren to be used interchangeably as both are cut from the same clothe. Able to play from a deep lying playmaker position and as an AM. Thinking of it more it's possible Mooy may start as AM as it seemed to be a contributing factor in his move to us.

A-league squad restrictions mean you can't really have decent cover in every position. You would assume that it will be someone played out of position there if Mate goes down. I'm personally tipping Mate to be one of our players of the year. The bloke is quality and seems to thrive under JVS. Hopefully his injury is behind him.

• Like 1

A-league squad restrictions mean you can't really have decent cover in every position. You would assume that it will be someone played out of position there if Mate goes down. I'm personally tipping Mate to be one of our players of the year. The bloke is quality and seems to thrive under JVS. Hopefully his injury is behind him.

I agree, I think mate is in for a huge season

I agree entirely, he's had a full pre-season and can hopefully replicate that 2011-12 form where he was so good! 

I just think competition for places is a healthy thing to have especially as Mate can sometimes go missing in games. 

I agree entirely, he's had a full pre-season and can hopefully replicate that 2011-12 form where he was so good!

I just think competition for places is a healthy thing to have especially as Mate can sometimes go missing in games.

When the city group took over those weeks after mate's level of effort increased massively

When the city group took over those weeks after mate's level of effort increased massively

Its actually more to do with JVS.  JVS was the reason he came to us in the first place.

On the starting line-up, its my job around these here parts to present the glass is half empty perspective.

Defensively I am concerned.

I am too, we don't have any true fullbacks (only makeshift ones) and our goalkeeping options are up there with the worst in the league. Kisnorbo and Wielaert is a strong partnership though.

Hopefully we dominate games to the point where we don't have to rely too heavily on defence but I doubt that'll be the case at all. 

I just think competition for places is a healthy thing to have especially as Mate can sometimes go missing in games. When the city group took over those weeks after mate's level of effort increased massively

Its actually more to do with JVS. JVS was the reason he came to us in the first place.

On the starting line-up, its my job around these here parts to present the glass is half empty perspective.

Defensively I am concerned.

Defensively we are fucked but let's fight fire with fire :)

I am too, we don't have any true fullbacks (only makeshift ones) and our goalkeeping options are up there with the worst in the league. Kisnorbo and Wielaert is a strong partnership though.

Hopefully we dominate games to the point where we don't have to rely too heavily on defence but I doubt that'll be the case at all. 

IMO you are rating other A-League goalkeepers too highly.

Apart from Galekovic, Theo and Vukovic, who else is there? There's Covic, but he'll be 39 next season, and I think he'll have past his expiration date by next season. I've never understood the little fuss there is around Mark Birighitti, and I don't rather either of victory's keepers Coe or Lawrence Thomas (and Muscat doesn't seem to either). Then there's just Liam Reddy, Glen Moss and Sydney's keepers Janjetovic and Necevski.

Redmayne IMO was fine when he was thrown into the mix in the second half of Aloisi's first season, and it was just in Aloisi's second season, when everything went to pieces, that his keeping was unimpressive. And Tando's been pretty decent IMO in the few games he's played for us, and this pre-season in particular I think he's shown enough to be a good goalkeeper in the A-League (if only, as I say above, because I don't think the bar is set very high).  

But as mentioned in this thread I'm sure the plan next season is attack attack attack, with the thinking that 'attack is the best form of defence'. We've had the majority of possession in our pre-season games, and I'm sure the plan is to have the majority of possession in our games next season (say, between 55% to 60%) and to have the opposition chasing shadows. If the team, and in particular the midfield, can keep the ball that well then our defence (and I agree its quality is suspect) shouldn't be threatened too much. And hopefully even if we concede the odd goal or two it is no problem, because we have converted our majority of possession into 2 or 3 goals. 

I still think there's a decent chance that we might recruit and strengthen our defence a bit more before the season starts, but I'm not overly fussed as I think the way our team is set up will minimize the possible weaknesses in our defence. We'll be living by the sword next season with attacking football, a style of football BTW that a great many people asked for, and I reckon our defenders are good enough (even with Garuccio, Germano and Hoffman as fullbacks), given the style of football we'll be playing, to ensure that we have a successful season next season.

Apart from Galekovic, Theo and Vukovic, who else is there? There's Covic, but he'll be 39 next season, and I think he'll have past his expiration date by next season. I've never understood the little fuss there is around Mark Birighitti, and I don't rather either of victory's keepers Coe or Lawrence Thomas (and Muscat doesn't seem to either). Then there's just Liam Reddy, Glen Moss and Sydney's keepers Janjetovic and Necevski.

Redmayne IMO was fine when he was thrown into the mix in the second half of Aloisi's first season, and it was just in Aloisi's second season, when everything went to pieces, that his keeping was unimpressive. And Tando's been pretty decent IMO in the few games he's played for us, and this pre-season in particular I think he's shown enough to be a good goalkeeper in the A-League (if only, as I say above, because I don't think the bar is set very high).

But as mentioned in this thread I'm sure the plan next season is attack attack attack, with the thinking that 'attack is the best form of defence'. We've had the majority of possession in our pre-season games, and I'm sure the plan is to have the majority of possession in our games next season (say, between 55% to 60%) and to have the opposition chasing shadows. If the team, and in particular the midfield, can keep the ball that well then our defence (and I agree its quality is suspect) shouldn't be threatened too much. And hopefully even if we concede the odd goal or two it is no problem, because we have converted our majority of possession into 2 or 3 goals.

I still think there's a decent chance that we might recruit and strengthen our defence a bit more before the season starts, but I'm not overly fussed as I think the way our team is set up will minimize the possible weaknesses in our defence. We'll be living by the sword next season with attacking football, a style of football BTW that a great many people asked for, and I reckon our defenders are good enough (even with Garuccio, Germano and Hoffman as fullbacks), given the style of football we'll be playing, to ensure that we have a successful season next season.

Correct and why I named mooy, duff, and koren in the midfield. Quality players controlling the ball not many teams will be able to out posses us. Williams needs to be given the chance to play striker if we don't sign someone for the position, I reckon he can better his total goals from last season he has to or all this work in Manchester will be worthless

Goalkeepers are extremely important players though and neither Redmayne or Velaphi inspires a great deal of confidence within me whereas a Galekovic, Covic or Theo would.

I acknowledge that it's an 11-man performance when defending goals but I couldn't even count the number of goals that we've conceded over the years due to simple goalkeeping blunders and there's little that's more frustrating than that!

I just hope they'll perform to a higher standard this season with the raised expectations and closer attention to detail, would love for Redders to truly repay the club for the faith they've put in him and have a standout season.

Is this redmaynes last year ?? I could see him moving on if he doesn't come on. Tando seems happy to be number two, so hopefully next season we can get a better keeper if there's no improvements

Yes, it is Redders' final year.

I'm pretty harsh on goalkeepers, but the reality is that it is a key position on the field. One mistake can undo 95 minutes of good work on the rest of the field and cost the match. IMO we've never paid enough attention to this position. Neither of our blokes impresses me, and I'd put them at or close to the bottom on the A-League scale, which I rate as pretty poor anyway.

A position I'l like to see us focus on in our recruitment going forward.

Redmayne

Hoffman - Weilaert - Kisnorbo - Ramsey?

Germano

Koren Mooy

Williams Villa. Duff

Bench from:

Velaphi, dugandzic, murdocca, chapman, mauk, garruccio, kalmar

Another striker and a left back are still needed in my opinion.

No love for the soul man?