Melbourne Football

The Jacob Melling Thread

AntiScum

What a turncoat Lynch is after the Villa affair. Time was when he would not have written such a piece about Melbourne Heart player. His report of the Derby as written in the Sunday "Age" was very low-key piece which did not do justice to what was an absolute cracker of a match that show-pieced football, the two clubs, and the city of Melbourne.

He's just a sour-puss.

Don't know how anyone could claim he hardly touched him... if the shoe was on the other foot we would all be screaming for a red card.

Having said that, I have zero sympathy for Muscunt and Broxham. How the fuck Broxham didn't get a yellow card for basically assraping Melling for 10 metres I have no idea. Also, the elbow clearly got him in the upper chest and Broxham dropped down grabbing his face in a clear bid to get a send off.

If Muscunt and his rabid fanboys want to get butthurt about refereeing and want to keep deluding themselves into thinking the issue is not with their form, I'm all the more happy. Deluded coaches complaining about bad luck and referees are a sure fire way to continue bad form and results. As we all know too well.

Melling = Legend

• Like 3

So is Carl Valeri going to be retrospectively cited for putting his hands to Kisnorbo's throat?? Or Broxham to be booked for going down like he'd been shot? Berisha for consistent dissent?

how the fuck he didn't get a yellow for abusing the linesman is beyond me, dead set spastic Berisha is. Which one of our players got a yellow for the same thing? Mate was it? .....

So is Carl Valeri going to be retrospectively cited for putting his hands to Kisnorbo's throat?? Or Broxham to be booked for going down like he'd been shot? Berisha for consistent dissent?

how the fuck he didn't get a yellow for abusing the linesman is beyond me, dead set spastic Berisha is. Which one of our players got a yellow for the same thing? Mate was it? .....

He did in the end. Went off at the assistant after the final whistle and they finally carded him.

Ramsay was our bloke who picked up a yellow for the same thing, though Berisha the fukhead was worse.

He did in the end. Went off at the assistant after the final whistle and they finally carded him.

Ramsay was our bloke who picked up a yellow for the same thing, though Berisha the fukhead was worse.

How many Yellows would that spastic be on now. Must be edging closer to 5

Don't know how anyone could claim he hardly touched him... if the shoe was on the other foot we would all be screaming for a red card.

Having said that, I have zero sympathy for Muscunt and Broxham. How the fuck Broxham didn't get a yellow card for basically assraping Melling for 10 metres I have no idea. Also, the elbow clearly got him in the upper chest and Broxham dropped down grabbing his face in a clear bid to get a send off.

If Muscunt and his rabid fanboys want to get butthurt about refereeing and want to keep deluding themselves into thinking the issue is not with their form, I'm all the more happy. Deluded coaches complaining about bad luck and referees are a sure fire way to continue bad form and results. As we all know too well.

Melling = Legend

I'd personally say that if there's the level of provocation that Broxham was showing, then he absolutely deserved to cop what he did. But that's not how the game is adjudicated normally and I'm pretty sure Melling would realise that.

It's absolutely delightful that he didn't cop anything further on the night, but I hope he never does anything like that at that point of a game for the rest of his career at Melbourne City. And he deserved a pretty stern talking to after the game about the incident. It could have been incredibly costly for the team and the only reason it wasn't was through sheer luck.

• Like 1

Melling = Legend

I'd personally say that if there's the level of provocation that Broxham was showing, then he absolutely deserved to cop what he did. But that's not how the game is adjudicated normally and I'm pretty sure Melling would realise that.

It's absolutely delightful that he didn't cop anything further on the night, but I hope he never does anything like that at that point of a game for the rest of his career at Melbourne City. And he deserved a pretty stern talking to after the game about the incident. It could have been incredibly costly for the team and the only reason it wasn't was through sheer luck.

See where you are going here.

Still don't believe there was a lot of force in that elbow, but having said that I've seen players marched for a lot less, especially in this league.

The diving in at the next tackle was what really worried me. The phrase "White line fever" comes to mind.  He will need to careful now, opponents might see a bit of "Berisha" in him and go out of their way to wind him up.  

• Like 2

I love this bloke.....but

If he got red carded and we lost the match, there would have been slightly different tone in this tread.

Elbows, no matter how innocent or provoked are magnets for red cards.

What do you mean? I think if you watch it again, you will see that Melling just got thrown off balance a little by Broxham's Wallaby-esque tackle. Nothing in it. :)

• Like 1

Once he develops some more stamina and composure on the ball he will be one of the better midfielders in the league. Defensive side of his game is immense for a 19 year old. As it stands I'll be happy using him as a sub when Koren is back fully fit. A player like Melling tearing away at you is the last thing tiring midfields and defences will want. His stamina is the main issue; is hard to keep someone in the starting 11 when you know you will need to sub him after 60-70 mins every week.

• Like 1

If the Match Review Panel is indeed going to review this incident, when does it convene?

Cunts making up the rules as they go along

I really hope they look at the incident tbh.

the league can't just allow players to blatantly dive and carry on like broxham did, it makes the whole league look bad.

• Like 1

It's a shame that he had to come off today to make way for Koren. I thought he was killing it until he came off. I'd love to see JvS play all four of Melling, Koren, Mooy and Paartalu at the same time. Maybe if Weilart came off for him and we played with 3 at the back. I personally wouldn't mind if we were starting like that too.

Could look like this ore something:

Velaphi

Chapman Kisnorbo Garuccio

Paartalu

Melling       Mooy         Koren

Duff          Williams   Dugandzic

And shifting back to our current formation when one of the mids needs to come off in the second half or switch to a 4-4-2 or something. I think we need to play to our strengths a bit more, which is definitely our midfield. I don't know if this would put too much pressure on the back 3 but it would be nice to see it tried out.

It's a shame that he had to come off today to make way for Koren. I thought he was killing it until he came off. I'd love to see JvS play all four of Melling, Koren, Mooy and Paartalu at the same time. Maybe if Weilart came off for him and we played with 3 at the back. I personally wouldn't mind if we were starting like that too.

Velaphi

Paartalu

And shifting back to our current formation when one of the mids needs to come off in the second half or switch to a 4-4-2 or something. I think we need to play to our strengths a bit more, which is definitely our midfield. I don't know if this would put too much pressure on the back 3 but it would be nice to see it tried out.

I'd prefer to see Koren come in as a false nine or drift in from the wing like Brooch at Brisvegas. I think that Melling might struggle with 90 minutes over the long term and playing 60-70 is best for his development, he is pretty hot headed too and sometimes needs to be removed for his and the teams own good. I think JVS (for all his faults) probably deserves some credit with this kid as well both him and Chapman have been great pieces of recruitment and if we can hold onto them pillars for the next few years.

Velaphi

Paartalu

I'd prefer to see Koren come in as a false nine or drift in from the wing like Brooch at Brisvegas. I think that Melling might struggle with 90 minutes over the long term and playing 60-70 is best for his development, he is pretty hot headed too and sometimes needs to be removed for his and the teams own good. I think JVS (for all his faults) probably deserves some credit with this kid as well both him and Chapman have been great pieces of recruitment and if we can hold onto them pillars for the next few years.

Or even something like this (I forgot about Kennedy's imminent arrival):

Velaphi

Hoffman Chapman Kisnorbo Gooch

Paartalu

Melling      Mooy

Koren

Duff        Kennedy

With williams/duga/ramsay to come on for the front 2, and brown/murdocca to come on for mids.

Velaphi

Paartalu

That's not how playing with 3 in defence works. A formation like this would never work and would never be tried.

Playing with 3 in defence is usually more like playing with 5 in defence, or at the very least there would be 3 defenders playing centrally and 2 players from out wide playing quite defensively, whether they're wingbacks or wide midfielders. You can't play it with 1 central defender and 2 wide defenders (like your formation seems to suggest since Garuccio is there), hoping the DM fills the gap centrally. Teams would just play the ball through the centre and score easily. Or if you're suggesting those 3 defenders would all be fairly central, than the wide players are too far up and too attacking (Duff and Dugandzic)

Edited by Tesla
  • Like 2

It's a shame that he had to come off today to make way for Koren. I thought he was killing it until he came off. I'd love to see JvS play all four of Melling, Koren, Mooy and Paartalu at the same time. Maybe if Weilart came off for him and we played with 3 at the back. I personally wouldn't mind if we were starting like that too. Could look like this ore something: Velaphi Chapman Kisnorbo Garuccio Paartalu Melling Mooy Koren Duff Williams Dugandzic And shifting back to our current formation when one of the mids needs to come off in the second half or switch to a 4-4-2 or something. I think we need to play to our strengths a bit more, which is definitely our midfield. I don't know if this would put too much pressure on the back 3 but it would be nice to see it tried out.

That's not how playing with 3 in defence works. A formation like this would never work and would never be tried. Would you mind explaining why? I'm still pretty new to the finer points like this of coot all. Is there a way you can fix what I posted so that it would work? Edited by illeatyourheart

Would you mind explaining why? I'm still pretty new to the finer points like this of coot all. Is there a way you can fix what I posted so that it would work?

I edited my post above to explain, basically playing with 3 in defence we will need to get rid of one of our midfielders rather than adding one, as you'd still need Hoffman and Garuccio out wide, albeit in a more attacking role, but you'd need to add another central defender at the expense of one of the midfielders.

Edited by Tesla
  • Like 1

Melling has posed an interesting situation. He has imposed himself in a way that's its almost detrimental to replace him with Koren. I have little doubt that Koren is (should be) a better player than Melling, but the lad has been super impressive so far that he is demanding to start. Issue is Koren needs match time, at a high level. I felt today we lost a lot when he came on as the team adjusted to him. I don't know what the answer is. I'm pretty sure they'll maintain the standard 3 man midfield so the only real option is playing Koren at 9. But for me that's pointless, he's not quick enough nor strong enough, it almost mirror the Villa scenario earlier on. I think they should continue Melling for 60 or so then make the change, just that we could be potentially not gaining anything.

Would you mind explaining why? I'm still pretty new to the finer points like this of coot all. Is there a way you can fix what I posted so that it would work?

I edited my post above to explain, basically playing with 3 in defence we will need to get rid of one of our midfielders rather than adding one, as you'd still need Hoffman and Garuccio out wide, albeit in a more attacking role, but you'd need to add another central defender at the expense of one of the midfielders. Whilst I understand what you're getting at Tesla- that's not necessarily the case. Many teams (including Adelaide) often play a 3-4-3 with a diamond midfield, which is pretty similar to what was posted above. The wingers are very wide and do a lot of work, with 3 'central' defenders who split quite wide when they have the ball. Obviously Garuccio as a left sided CB is a stretch, but a left footer is certainly preferable in the position. The DM sits very deep, and barely gets out of his own half but that is the system.

Having said that I reckon the 4-4-2 with a diamond and Koren in the #10, with Duff running the channels up front with Jesus might be a good option.

Edited by tommac

Twitter the All night appetite, which is a show on SEN.

They have tweeted that rumours have it JVS replacement has landed in Melbourne from Italy.

Probably rubbish but you never know.

Walter Mazzarri

Hmmm interesting, will get that back 3 many people on here have asked for at least.

Just wondering what the possible formation could be...

Velaphi

Hoffman    Chapman    Kisnorbo

Duga                                                         Duff

Mooy      Paartalu   Melling

Koren

Kennedy 

This system may suit some of our players better...

It's a shame that he had to come off today to make way for Koren. I thought he was killing it until he came off. I'd love to see JvS play all four of Melling, Koren, Mooy and Paartalu at the same time. Maybe if Weilart came off for him and we played with 3 at the back. I personally wouldn't mind if we were starting like that too. Could look like this ore something: Velaphi Chapman Kisnorbo Garuccio Paartalu Melling Mooy Koren Duff Williams Dugandzic And shifting back to our current formation when one of the mids needs to come off in the second half or switch to a 4-4-2 or something. I think we need to play to our strengths a bit more, which is definitely our midfield. I don't know if this would put too much pressure on the back 3 but it would be nice to see it tried out.

That's not how playing with 3 in defence works. A formation like this would never work and would never be tried. Would you mind explaining why? I'm still pretty new to the finer points like this of coot all. Is there a way you can fix what I posted so that it would work?

Tesla got me thinking about a 3-5-2(1-1) when he threw Mazzarri's name out on the Sack JVS thread a few week's back.

As he pretty much said, the 3 CBs can become 5 when the 2 Wing/Backs from the midfield 5 drop back.

I outlined the above team back then as an example of how it might work, with the benefit being it enables Melling, Koren, Duff, Paartalu, Mooy and Kennedy to all start.

I have Duff as the left wing/back, but that position could also be played by Garuccio and Ramsay in our current squad.

The right CB (Hoffman) and right wing/back (Duga) are a bit of a worry for me. I guess you could throw Weilart in for Hoffman (was ok yesterday). Maybe Brown or Williams for Duga but not sure how well they would track back as you need to do that in this formation. Maybe Duff switching over... Or maybe this new signing in January they have mentioned, though not sure who or what he is.

In anycase, it's just an example, but I think it's a good one to display how this formation could work.

regardless of what formation we play we will be limited by the quality of players in the squad.

Unfortunately we have full backs who have been converted and our wingers (barring Duff) would all be warming the pine or watching from the stands at the majority of other clubs and we only have 1 legitimate striker who isn't available until February. Monument fuck-up in recruitment if I've ever seen one.

• 1 month later...

Etihad Player of the Month December: Jacob Melling

potm-melling_jshcyuhh6ft1tmtuthmj55sg.jp

Monday, 2 February 2015

Jacob Melling has picked up December's Etihad Player of the Month after his outstanding performances towards the end of 2014.

Melling, who broke his way into the side earlier in the season, established himself in the Melbourne City FC engine room over December.

The youngster’s stand-out performance came during the Melbourne Derby as Melling made a range of crucial tackles and interceptions to stifle the potent Victory attack.

The South Australian has made a definite impression on his coach, John van’t Schip and with Aaron Mooy and Erik Paartalu next to him in the midfield, Melling has showed determination and grit beyond his years to take out December’s award.

With our match in January counted in December’s Etihad Player of the Month award, February’s nominees will be announced at the end of the month.

http://www.melbournecityfc.com.au/article/etihad-player-of-the-month-december-jacob-melling/6o08mpx5jkpp1hkscl59lxfa8

• Like 2

How ironic that he scored his goal after teaching Kalmar a leason in the defensive side of midfield, then quickly turning it into an attacking move- Kalmar ( this is why he not with us anymore) was jogging back to carry out his defensive duties while Melling was already celebrating his goal.

Melling; a working class midfielder doing overtime and night school to continue growing.

Kalmar ; doing overtime on his sleave tats and fancy pirouettes around witches hats.

• Like 2