Melbourne Football

The Jacob Melling Thread

AntiScum

Melbourne City enforcer Jacob Melling likes to keep things straight and simple

Michael Lynch

October 26, 2015

By common consent Melbourne City midfielder Aaron Mooy is not just the most improved player in the A-League, this season he is close to its best. 

And that has increased the speculation about a possible move overseas, if not to his club's ultimate owner, Manchester City, then perhaps to one of its affiliate clubs in the US or Japan.

Everyone at the City Football Academy in Melbourne's northern suburbs is hoping that the shaven-headed Mooy, who has become a regular Socceroo in recent months, will stay, at least long enough to help John van 't Schip's side mount a serious title challenge this season.

And no one is hoping that the Sydneysider remains at the heart of the City side more than Jacob Melling. The robust midfielder has broken back into the side following an injury lay-off and is hoping to create a dominant partnership in the centre of the park with Mooy. 

"It doesn't matter what Mooysy does, he's unreal. I can't complain with anything he does. He's just signed a contract not too long ago, so its hard to say [if he will go overseas]," says Melling.

"He's here for a while that I know of any way. It's up to him with the decisions he makes, but I think he will stay here, because he likes it here, he loves it in Melbourne. I am hoping he will stay for the club because he does really well here, he excites the fans and everyone in the league. I am hoping he stays because we can win silverware."

It's not quite Mr Nasty (Melling) and Mr Nice (the creative Mooy), but there is no doubt that former Adelaide United junior Melling doesn't mind ruffling feathers and getting stuck in no matter what the circumstances or who he is up against.

The 20-year-old has a combative style that costs him bookings, but he definitely brings an energy and directness to City's style. It was no accident that the team became more competitive last season when he broke into the line up, although a knee injury cost him the chance to play in the play-off series which ended with that semi-final loss to Melbourne Victory.

With Erik Paartalu having lost his place for the past two matches, Melling has come into the midfield and now has a chance to claim the position for his own. His aggression and mobility adds bite to a line-up that was often criticised for being too nice last season, but he will not take anything for granted.

Van 't Schip has cracked the whip in the past week and put all his players on notice that if they don't perform they will make way for others: Melling only came back to action in the cup semi-final defeat in Perth last Wednesday, and knows that he has to keep delivering to keep Paartalu, and other midfielders, on the bench.

"I am fully fit now and I just have to recover and make sure my body is ready for next Friday and the game with the Jets and hope I get the opportunity. I have to keep working hard to keep my spot.

"It's going to put a strain on anyone who has been out so long. I hadn't played 90 minutes for seven months. It's good to have everyone on their toes knowing they may get the chance to play. It's hard for the coach if everyone works hard and the competition is good. Having everyone fight for their spot is healthy and you need it in a club to strive for success."

Melling is happy to take a straightforward approach to the game.

"I like to get on the ball a lot more, that's the area I have to work on, make sure I keep it simple and keep playing. I have always played aggressively, tried to win the ball back and attack when I can, that's the main aspect of my game, to get the ball in positions where I can and play forward in between the lines, if not to the strikers. I have keep improving on that."

Sunday's 3-1 win over Central Coast was a hugely entertaining match and both teams won plaudits for their attacking approach. 

But, says Melling, not every game can be like that. "You always want to play entertaining football, but sometimes you have to do what's best depending on the game and the team you are playing, their strengths and weaknesses so you can work on your strengths and weaknesses. Sometimes you have to play to a style that suits you against them."

Melling will be among several familiar faces when City host high-flying Newcastle Jets on Friday, having played with many of their players at club or junior international level.

"I know a couple of their players [Jason Hoffman, Nigel Boogaard, Daniel Mullen, Mark Birigihitti]. I have played with them, they are a strong side but I think the boys can get over the top."

http://www.theage.com.au/sport/soccer/melbourne-city/melbourne-city-enforcer-jacob-melling-likes-to-keep-things-straight-and-simple-20151026-gkihs1.html

• 1 month later...
40 minutes ago, n i k o said:

So what's the go with Mellng? Also did his knee, do we know the extent of the injury? 

I'm not sure that Melling has been officially cleared of injury, but the latest report on Melling (published late today) is this:

Northern Ireland defender Aaron Hughes is expected to be passed fit and replace Chapman, while Jacob Melling is another option after he appears to have avoided serious injury despite also coming off.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/football/a-league/teams/melbourne-city/melbourne-city-defender-connor-chapman-ruled-out-til-march-through-injury/news-story/bab81be04aa922e43b249f58b582b993

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I think after last night he needs to seriously consider moving into the back line. Obviously it's up to the coach but with Caceras coming in he real chance of cementing a starting position is as a CB when we play 352 or as like last night holding mid when we switched to 433 for the last 20 mins or so. 

This season he seems to have played better deeper. Long term he should become a genuine #8 box to box mid but in the short term i think he should play as the third cb in the 352. That's all assuming he dislodges Clisby who has in his own right become a decent CB.

Good problems. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jovan said:

I think after last night he needs to seriously consider moving into the back line. Obviously it's up to the coach but with Caceras coming in he real chance of cementing a starting position is as a CB when we play 352 or as like last night holding mid when we switched to 433 for the last 20 mins or so. 

This season he seems to have played better deeper. Long term he should become a genuine #8 box to box mid but in the short term i think he should play as the third cb in the 352. That's all assuming he dislodges Clisby who has in his own right become a decent CB.

Good problems. 

He looked like he belonged there last night didn't he.

It was a nice balance with the 2 experienced heads and the fast young fella.

55 minutes ago, Shahanga said:

He looked like he belonged there last night didn't he.

It was a nice balance with the 2 experienced heads and the fast young fella.

Yes, a few fairly reckless attempts at tackling, but overall a solid showing. I'd rate it his best match for a while.

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

One to watch: Jacob Melling

melbourne-citys-jacob-melling-is-this-we

24 February 2016

While Melbourne City’s squad is full of Socceroo and international stars, Melling headlines an exciting crop of youngsters thriving in the club’s ultra-professional environment.

The 20-year-old has become a ‘Mr Fix-it’ in John van ‘t Schip’s high-flying side due to his versatility and hunger to succeed.

With bucket loads of energy and combativeness, Melling is making a case for a regular spot in the star-studded City XI heading towards the Hyundai A-League finals.

Predominantly a tough-tackling midfielder, Melling’s defensive nous and body-on-the-line approach has seen him used as a central defender a number of times in his City career.

Melling was born in Adelaide and got his first taste of the Hyundai A-League at the Reds as a teenager, before joining City in 2014.

jacob-melling_1hkw13nzyc8za1ifbl8auqbrlv

After playing a handful of games in his first season with the club, Melling has been a consistent member of the side in 2015/16, featuring in 15 of 20 games so far.

And his numbers stack up pretty well. Melling has made 37 tackles, had 40 interceptions and 67 ball recoveries in the middle of the park for City.  

The youngster – who also represented the Joeys in 2010/11 – has also had seven successful dribbles, made nine key passes, been involved in 115 duels and made 569 passes at an accuracy rate of almost 80%.

Melling won’t only be an important member for City come the business end of the season but is also one to watch in the NAB Young Footballer of the Year race.

http://www.a-league.com.au/article/one-to-watch-jacob-melling/156lw9ws2bnqa1r2yt0f2bdw33

11 hours ago, Tony999 said:

Not really. I would start him over Retre but over Caseras? I'd probably flip a coin there.

They're totally different styles. Caceres is all class. Can pass short or long, hold the ball, dribble. Technically and tactically, far superior to Melling.

Melling is more of a work horse and is better than Caceres at breaking play. In my team I would play them both.

V the nux : 4-3-3        Caceres.........Malik............Melling          (mids)

..................... Mooy......................   ( AM )

Fitzy.........................Tuna         ( roatating front)

11 hours ago, MHFC-FAN said:

Agree. The longer he stays on the bench, the less chance he has of being sent off...:ph34r:

The sent offs were both undeserved. There were far worst fouls in both games ( T.Stanley on Novillo, Kalfallah on Fitzy) that were probably straight reds. Unless you're a tard, you wouldn't disagree.

35 minutes ago, DAM10 said:

They're totally different styles. Caceres is all class. Can pass short or long, hold the ball, dribble. Technically and tactically, far superior to Melling.

Melling is more of a work horse and is better than Caceres at breaking play. In my team I would play them both.

V the nux : 4-3-3        Caceres.........Malik............Melling          (mids)

All class but he needs to learn to tackle cleanly to play in our team. he was surrounded by defenders at CCM (prior to this season anyway) so it wasn't so important for him to use and practice this skill

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DAM10 said:

Doesn't look like 4-3-3 to me...

In anycase,  been saying it for a while and sounds like Mooy himself has alluded to it recently, that he needs to be deeper.

11 hours ago, DAM10 said:

Melling is more of a work horse and is better than Caceres at breaking legs. In my team I would play them both.

fixed.

though I wouldn't start with 442 like you have suggested (Mooy is a midfielder in that formation, so its not 433) and if I did resort to it, would play with a proper DM, not a traditional CM box to box like you seem to be indicating.  I suggest you would be on McGlinchey's  christmas card list setting up like that.

our 433 was very successful last week, with the wingers causing CCM no end of grief and the striker getting lots of opportunities, unlike at 352, when the opposition could regularly get 4 defenders around Tuna.

So I don't expect Melling to start and wouldn't start him if MC was "unlucky" enough to have me as gaffer.

• 5 months later...

Another quality long term #yoof investment. Gone at the first chance of more money and game time. Not even a transfer fee recouped.

And overall you'd consider him a successful #yoof, at least he contributed positively to the first team, most of them don't even do that.

25 minutes ago, Tesla said:

Another quality long term #yoof investment. Gone at the first chance of more money and game time. Not even a transfer fee recouped.

And overall you'd consider him a successful #yoof, at least he contributed positively to the first team, most of them don't even do that.

There is no real point developing youth. The only real advantage is in the +3 in the squad and once they reach a certain age you just have to move them on. 

Secondly long-term contracts are actually worthless. How many players move under contract.

If transfer fees were allowed atleast clubs would value fringe players more.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jovan said:

There is no real point developing youth. The only real advantage is in the +3 in the squad and once they reach a certain age you just have to move them on. 

Secondly long-term contracts are actually worthless. How many players move under contract.

If transfer fees were allowed atleast clubs would value fringe players more.

This.  Youth has value when transfer fees are applied.  In the UK, which I only use as an example because its the only other context I know, young players even command a fee if they are out of contract, to recompense a club for the costs of development.  This gives clubs am economic as well as a tactical reason for investing in youth development.

From his Instagram:

"Honoured to have played for Melbourne city. The club have helped me grow as a player and as a person. Thank you to everyone at the club for everything they have done for me. To my team mates thank you for helping become a better player and being there when things were tough. To the fans you have been unreal and I can't thank you all enough. #thankscity"

• Like 2

2 hours ago, jw1739 said:

From his Instagram:

"Honoured to have played for Melbourne city. The club have helped me grow as a player and as a person. Thank you to everyone at the club for everything they have done for me. To my team mates thank you for helping become a better player and being there when things were tough. To the fans you have been unreal and I can't thank you all enough. #thankscity"

The difference between him and Mauk. I'll always love him :wub:

• Like 3