Melbourne Football

The Jacob Melling Thread

AntiScum

MELBOURNE Heart’s on-field revamp has continued with the signing of midfielder Jacob Melling from Adelaide United.

Manchester City-owned Heart on Tuesday also confirmed deals for Newcastle Jets duo Connor Chapman and James Brown, revealed by the Herald Sun last week.

Melling, 19, defender Chapman, 19, and attacking midfielder Brown, 24, have signed two-year contracts.

Adelaide-born Melling made his A-League debut against Heart at AAMI Park in January, 2012, but only went on to play only 10 games for the Reds.

He represented the Joeys at the under 17 World Cup in Mexico in 2011.

Melling’s deal has not been included in the salary cap. He will be listed as one of three youth players A-League clubs are allowed to contract outside of their 23-player senior squads.

That means Heart still has eight spots it can fill on its roster ahead of next season.

Western Sydney midfielder Aaron Mooy will soon be confirmed as one of those players, while the club is expected to be in the market for both an Australian and international marquee.

“We believe Jacob to be one of the best young midfielders in the system and he is an exciting and competitive midfielder,” Heart coach John van’t Schip said.

“(Chapman) has shown experience beyond his age with two full seasons in the A-League and he is still just 19. He will no doubt grow further under the leadership of Patrick Kisnorbo and Robbie Wielaert.

“James possesses a lot of the attributes that we look for in attacking players at Melbourne Heart. Two years ago, when he was at Gold Coast, we saw his potential and we feel his best football is still ahead of him.”

Pretty happy with this kid i really rate him

I really wish i shared the same enthusiasm ......

Then again, I was over optimistic last season and we were shite !!!

He's played for the U21 national team around a dozen times, already has A-League experience and has only recently turned 21, PLUS he's been signed outside of the squad limitations so what's there to lose?

He's played for the U21 national team around a dozen times, already has A-League experience and has only recently turned 21, PLUS he's been signed outside of the squad limitations so what's there to lose?

BTW Melling only recently turned 19

Yep he's signed outside the 23-player squad and outside of the salary cap.

And he featured in 9 A-League matches for Adelaide United. And he's played regularly for Australian underage teams (for instance, he played every match at the 2011 FIFA U17 World Cup). And he was voted by the FFA's technical committee as the best player of the 2010 state institutes tournament. And he became the youngest player ever to make an A-League debut, when he debuted in 2012 at 15 years of age.

Also, he was considered good enough to play in the Spanish 2nd division last season, but the move fell through because of a technicality.

All up, he's a pretty excellent young prospect, and all the more because he's not apart of the 23-player squad (although he is apart of the senior team), he's a pretty handy player to have.

His birthday is April 4, and he turned 19 earlier this year.

My bad on his debut. I read a poorly written passage in an article by Val Migliaccio. I'm not sure when he debuted.

BTW Melling was primarily apart of Gold Coast United's youth set-up, and he didn't feature so much in the unsuccessful senior team. GCU's youth team was very successful, winning the National Youth League in 2010-11, and the youth team featured players such as Ben Halloran, Steven Lustica, Zach Anderson, Chris Harold and Joshua Brillante. It's pretty much another positive that Melling was apart of that youth set-up (whilst Dylan Macallister and some others comprised a fairly ordinary and rather low achieving senior team).

All up I think Melling is further proof that our youth recruitment and development is now back on track, and I look forward to seeing him and other young Heart players in pre-season.

Edited by Murfy1

We already have a very established youth academy in Manchester (That have brought us a number of titles this season) so I would see it more like there´s an ambition to create the best academy in Australia instead, obviously there will be connections though.

BTW Melling only recently turned 19

Yep he's signed outside the 23-player squad and outside of the salary cap.

And he featured in 9 A-League matches for Adelaide United. And he's played regularly for Australian underage teams (for instance, he played every match at the 2011 FIFA U17 World Cup). And he was voted by the FFA's technical committee as the best player of the 2010 state institutes tournament. And he became the youngest player ever to make an A-League debut, when he debuted in 2012 at 15 years of age.

Also, he was considered good enough to play in the Spanish 2nd division last season, but the move fell through because of a technicality.

All up, he's a pretty excellent young prospect, and all the more because he's not apart of the 23-player squad (although he is apart of the senior team), he's a pretty handy player to have.

Murfy - Nate  >Trusting your judgement ... 

The expectations of "Good Things to Come" have left me questioning several movements in recent transfers 

ie, Go gol, Mifsud, The signing of Lucash etc etc .... can you blame me 

Believe me i hope he is a hit, ( providing he is playing in Red n White )

Excited. But there is a brain cell that is wondering whether we are going to become a youth academy for Man City first and a team second...

Not sure why anyone would be concerned about us being a Man City feeder team. If anything it's a good thing. 

How many EPL quality players are people expecting Man City to bother poaching from us? There are about 4 Aussies who are EPL quality in the world right now, even the promising young kids who are EPL youth squad potential would probably be allowed to develop in and around our first team considering they are planning on sending the ones they have now to us. 

Excited. But there is a brain cell that is wondering whether we are going to become a youth academy for Man City first and a team second...

Not sure why anyone would be concerned about us being a Man City feeder team. If anything it's a good thing. 

How many EPL quality players are people expecting Man City to bother poaching from us? There are about 4 Aussies who are EPL quality in the world right now, even the promising young kids who are EPL youth squad potential would probably be allowed to develop in and around our first team considering they are planning on sending the ones they have now to us. 

The goals are different (pardon the pun): being a feeder club means that winning trophies become secondary. And since there is no relegation the team will always play first division football. Of course not all players will end up in the Man City first division but they can be sold to other clubs. If you look at the Roar they have had a fairly settled group of players for quite a few seasons now and so they have been quite successful in instilling a culture and on the playing field they are quite familiar with one another. Being a feeder/factory club means that there is always a high turnover of players - admittedly this is already true of the club but look where that got us.

The goals are different (pardon the pun): being a feeder club means that winning trophies become secondary. And since there is no relegation the team will always play first division football. Of course not all players will end up in the Man City first division but they can be sold to other clubs. If you look at the Roar they have had a fairly settled group of players for quite a few seasons now and so they have been quite successful in instilling a culture and on the playing field they are quite familiar with one another. Being a feeder/factory club means that there is always a high turnover of players - admittedly this is already true of the club but look where that got us.

Agee, being a feeder club to an EPL team is the least of my worries, - In fact its a huge positive.

Keeping our identity with the colours of Red n White is far more important 

• Like 1

Agee, being a feeder club to an EPL team is the least of my worries, - In fact its a huge positive.

Keeping our identity with the colours of Red n White is far more important 

I did say only one brain cell was concerned. The rest are excited.

• 5 months later...

Has a bit of cunt in him, I like that.

Built like a brick shithouse and can fucking slog the ball from distance like nobodies business. Anyone see his warm up shots? Was smashing them in. Meanwhile, Willo couldn't get one on target despite being under zero game or defensive pressure. Says it all really.

• Like 3

http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/article/2014/11/17/9-things-we-learned-round-6-league

7. Jacob Melling is a real find for Melbourne City

Keep an eye on this young bloke, who has starred for Melbourne City in its recent resurgance. Melling put himself about in the centre of the City midfield against the Mariners and it's no coincidence the 19 year-old wasn't on the pitch when Mariners scored in stoppage time to rescue a draw.

Overall had a good game. Has energy and drive.

A few passes went stray but overall was good.

With Mooy coming back I would have him on the bench and bring him on the last 20/30 minutes, and he will gives us the drive we seem to lose near the end of a game.

Id rather have him starting with mooy and paartalu

• Like 2

This guy has it! You can see it in his eyes.

His centre of gravity is very well balanced, and his positioning and movement is very intent.

His not tall, but he plays tall unlike a few others in our team.

Although at this rate after 5 game he would have 5 cautions for a "weeks rest".  He was stiff to receive a caution against Road for his first tackle.

Must start each week.

Side note: please don't run in front of the invisible spray.

• Like 1

Overall had a good game. Has energy and drive.

A few passes went stray but overall was good.

With Mooy coming back I would have him on the bench and bring him on the last 20/30 minutes, and he will gives us the drive we seem to lose near the end of a game.

Id rather have him starting with mooy and paartalu

So would I. He's only 19. I can tolerate a few mistakes, because as others have said he's good. Very good. Could easily turn out to be the best young 'un we've had.