Melbourne Football

Connor Chapman

DieHardRed

I had a ref give a pen against me when some fukhead took a clear dive about a minute after I took the ball off him cleanly.

I lost it at the ref so badly I didn't even recall what I was doing, but apparently I was shoving him and swearing my head off.

Got 4 weeks for it and was told that I was probably playing the wrong sport with my temper. Was only 21 from memory.

Definitely not the right thing to do, especially when you're a pro... but I can totally understand why he flipped.

I had a ref give a pen against me when some fukhead took a clear dive about a minute after I took the ball off him cleanly.

I lost it at the ref so badly I didn't even recall what I was doing, but apparently I was shoving him and swearing my head off.

Got 4 weeks for it and was told that I was probably playing the wrong sport with my temper. Was only 21 from memory.

Definitely not the right thing to do, especially when you're a pro... but I can totally understand why he flipped.

I don't understand why he flipped. He kicked old mate in the head and was told "play on". Happy days. I'm expecting no less than 10 weeks unfortunately

Pathetic actions to receive a red card the way he did.

His actions reeked of individualism.  

How dare he make the incident about him - when we clearly had an opportunity to attack the goal in good numbers.

The team should make an example of him.  

We don't need individuals.  See you next year in pre-season.

No excuse.

Pathetic actions to receive a red card the way he did.

His actions reeked of individualism.

How dare he make the incident about him - when we clearly had an opportunity to attack the goal in good numbers.

The team should make an example of him.

We don't need individuals. See you next year in pre-season.

No excuse.

Rofl

• Like 2

I just looked at the replay on Fox. Perhaps not all of it is shown, but doesn't really look like a serious incident at all to me. Much like the penalty. I don't like making excuses; no, Chapman shouldn't have touched the referee, and we should have won the match anyway, but Delovski seems to look to punish us for the slightest incident. I've seen melees around the officials that don't end up with a red card. 

I don't fault the kid. He is young so he has a lot to learn in terms of self control. Imagine we had no Chapman? We would've conceeded 3+ goals every game. Perhaps this is a lesson to him but l have no doubt his performance will continue to be a class above the other muppets.

• Like 1

I have not seen the incident but over the last few weeks I have noticed the following:

1. The defenders are far more aggressive - early on it was only Melling and Kirsnorbo but now Safuwan and Chapman are in on the act. The latter two have been borderline red.

2. Paartalau appeared pissed off playing against CCM.

3. Since the game against AU quite a few players seem to have had a change of attitude - we all applauded Williams when he came on but since then he is not playing with the same intensity.

I wonder if there is something happening in the change rooms that is dragging the team down?

I have not seen the incident but over the last few weeks I have noticed the following:

1. The defenders are far more aggressive - early on it was only Melling and Kirsnorbo but now Safuwan and Chapman are in on the act. The latter two have been borderline red.

3. Since the game against AU quite a few players seem to have had a change of attitude - we all applauded Williams when he came on but since then he is not playing with the same intensity.

I wonder if there is something happening in the change rooms that is dragging the team down?

JVS...

Safuwan and Chapman are those types of players, so I doubt it is anything external that is driving them to be more aggressive than usual. Agree with the second point though. Your third point regarding Williams is a no brainer I think. It simply sums up Williams career.

Why was he not picked for the U23 squad released yesterday?

This was Vidmar's explanation for not picking Chapman:

“Connor and Nick Ansell have been out for a while with injuries, what’s more important for me is that they performing well (over a longer period),” Vidmar said.

“If they can get a whole season under their belts without breaking down that’s what we’re looking at.”

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/football/a-league-melbourne-victorys-depth-to-be-tested-by-international-call-ups/story-fnii0fc4-1227265388425

It doesn't make sense to me, as Chapman has been fit and firing and playing 90 minutes matches for a few months now.

Strange decision, but a plus for Melbourne City I guess.

Chapman to learn A-League fate

Ben McKay

March 17, 2015

Young Melbourne City defender Connor Chapman will be forced to explain his altercation with an A-League referee at a specially convened tribunal on Wednesday.

An independent disciplinary committee will hear evidence from Chapman before deciding on a punishment for what the FFA describes as a "unsporting conduct toward a match official".

Chapman appeared to manhandle referee Strebre Delovski, who was in close proximity to the centre-back who was enraged at two Western Sydney Wanderers tackles that went unpunished.

The 20-year-old received his marching orders for the clash and has already been given a two-match ban for the brain fade.

Chapman missed City's 4-0 triumph over Newcastle on Sunday, and he will also be unavailable for the club's trip to play the rampant Sydney FC on Friday night.

Whether that ban extends past Friday night is up to the tribunal.

Melbourne City can ill-afford to miss Chapman for a longer period, who has been crucial in turning around the club's defensive fortunes.

Chapman was overlooked by Olyroos coach Aurelio Vidmar for key qualifiers later this month.

The coach of the national Under-23 side said Chapman's ban was in no way linked to his non-selection.

AAP

https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/sport/a/26694412/chapman-to-learn-a-league-fate/

Result of independent Disciplinary Committee hearing

Wednesday, 18 March 2015

Melbourne City FC can confirm that defender Connor Chapman has received the minimum sanction of 3 matches (plus one) for “unsporting conduct toward a match official” from an independent Disciplinary Committee hearing on Wednesday evening.

The Disciplinary Committee convened to determine the sanction following an incident in the rescheduled Hyundai A-League Round 10 match between Western Sydney Wanderers FC and Melbourne City FC on Wednesday 11 March 2015.

Chapman has already served the Mandatory Match Suspension (against Newcastle Jets) and will not be available for Melbourne City FC’s upcoming matches against Sydney FC, Brisbane Roar FC and Western Sydney Wanderers FC.

Melbourne City FC accepts the sanction and thanks Football Federation Australia for conducting a thorough and professional disciplinary process.

Chapman has apologised to the official involved and has offered to donate a week’s wages to a nominated charity of the official's choice.

http://www.melbournecityfc.com.au/article/outcome/rp6h57bqa3xezqkq5ooj47os

Wednesday, 18 March 2015

Melbourne City FC can confirm that defender Connor Chapman has received the minimum sanction of 3 matches (plus one) for “unsporting conduct toward a match official” from an independent Disciplinary Committee hearing on Wednesday evening.

The Disciplinary Committee convened to determine the sanction following an incident in the rescheduled Hyundai A-League Round 10 match between Western Sydney Wanderers FC and Melbourne City FC on Wednesday 11 March 2015.

Chapman has already served the Mandatory Match Suspension (against Newcastle Jets) and will not be available for Melbourne City FC’s upcoming matches against Sydney FC, Brisbane Roar FC and Western Sydney Wanderers FC.

Melbourne City FC accepts the sanction and thanks Football Federation Australia for conducting a thorough and professional disciplinary process.

Chapman has apologised to the official involved and has offered to donate a week’s wages to a nominated charity of the official's choice.

http://www.melbournecityfc.com.au/article/outcome/rp6h57bqa3xezqkq5ooj47os

Not 10, I'm happy.

• Like 1

Yeah good/lucky result I reckon.  Now I never really saw it, as Fox didn't show a decent angle, but normally manhandling the ref is treated very seriously and you could easily find yourself out for 12 months or more.

Danny Vukovic didn't do a great deal, but got 15 months for his trouble:

So 4 games, yeah, you'd grab that and run for the door before they changed their minds.

Wednesday, 18 March 2015

The Disciplinary Committee convened to determine the sanction following an incident in the rescheduled Hyundai A-League Round 10 match between Western Sydney Wanderers FC and Melbourne City FC on Wednesday 11 March 2015.

Chapman has already served the Mandatory Match Suspension (against Newcastle Jets) and will not be available for Melbourne City FC’s upcoming matches against Sydney FC, Brisbane Roar FC and Western Sydney Wanderers FC.

http://www.melbournecityfc.com.au/article/outcome/rp6h57bqa3xezqkq5ooj47os Not 10, I'm happy.

Why would it be 10? I think they know Australian refs are shithouse and fuck up left, right and centre so to me a ban of no more than 4 games is justified.

There's a need to get this sort of incident and subsequent suspension in perspective. I don't condone what he did at all, and of course we can't have players (or anyone else) getting physical with officials. But 4 matches? There was very little in this contact at all - certainly wouldn't come under my definition of "man-handling." Muscat got a mere 8 matches for one of the worst tackles in the history of football.

• Like 1

Result of independent Disciplinary Committee hearingWednesday, 18 March 2015Melbourne City FC can confirm that defender Connor Chapman has received the minimum sanction of 3 matches (plus one) for “unsporting conduct toward a match official” from an independent Disciplinary Committee hearing on Wednesday evening.The Disciplinary Committee convened to determine the sanction following an incident in the rescheduled Hyundai A-League Round 10 match between Western Sydney Wanderers FC and Melbourne City FC on Wednesday 11 March 2015.Chapman has already served the Mandatory Match Suspension (against Newcastle Jets) and will not be available for Melbourne City FC’s upcoming matches against Sydney FC, Brisbane Roar FC and Western Sydney Wanderers FC.Melbourne City FC accepts the sanction and thanks Football Federation Australia for conducting a thorough and professional disciplinary process.Chapman has apologised to the official involved and has offered to donate a week’s wages to a nominated charity of the official's choice.

http://www.melbournecityfc.com.au/article/outcome/rp6h57bqa3xezqkq5ooj47os Not 10, I'm happy.

Why would it be 10? I think they know Australian refs are shithouse and fuck up left, right and centre so to me a ban of no more than 4 games is justified.

Tongue in cheek response to this

Has he got his 10 game suspension yet?

• 1 month later...

Melbourne City’s Connor Chapman making up for lost time following illness

MAY 01, 2015

MATT WINDLEY

THE searing pain in his back forced him to sleep on the floor of his hotel room.

He was so tired, but the confusion made him restless.

It was Connor Chapman’s first week in Melbourne, at a new club, but it would be just three days before he was banished for eight weeks.

What the defender thought was a bad flu was actually glandular fever.

It solved the riddle as to why, when he trained in those first couple of days at Melbourne City, every muscle in his body hurt like crazy.

But as a result the talented youngster would miss a vital chunk of pre-season training and the club’s tour of Manchester — where he not only missed games but also a great opportunity to get to know his new teammates.

Sleeping non-stop and playing Call of Duty wasn’t what he had in mind for his first two months in his new home town.

It was, he said, one of the toughest periods of his life and something he would never wish upon anyone.

“I thought it was because it was cold and I’d come from a warm spot having just been on holidays,” Chapman said.

“But something wasn’t right, and it just got worse and worse.

“I just had to stay at home and sleep pretty much. The first four weeks was just stay in bed.

“Maybe the next two weeks I would go out for an hour or so and then the last two weeks I’d go out a little bit longer, but you just get really drained.

“And then even when I came back I couldn’t train properly for another month, month and a half. I wasn’t allowed to get my heart rate up above a certain level.

“That was the most frustrating thing almost, that I was only allowed to walk, or I’d might only be allowed to run for 15-20 minutes, but you just want to be out there training with the guys. I was being pulled back all the time.

“It wasn’t the best start.”

His woes were compounded further when he suffered first a quad injury, then a hamstring, as his body tried to regroup.

The saga prevented him from making his City debut until Round 9.

“The thing with glandular fever, and I never knew this, is it’s basically about starting back from ground zero,” he said.

“You’d train and then unfortunately you’d get injured. And that was the thing, you’d train, get injured, but get stronger.

“It’s the only way you could do it. It was the first time my body has ever been so weak.

“It was frustrating as well that you come back from glandular, then you get injured, and everyone’s saying ‘what’s going wrong, what are you doing?’

“But it wasn’t like that. I could actually feel my body getting strong as time went on.

“I wasn’t impatient, it was just something I had to go through. It was the only way to build my muscles back up.”

Although he was out for a substantial period, Chapman wasted little time making his mark.

In the first five games he played City won four and drew the other.

The 20-year-old was also named the NAB Young Footballer of the Month for February.

Despite the lows — he was also suspended for four weeks and missed selection for the Olyroos Asian Championship qualifying tournament last month — Chapman insists season 2014-15 has been one of growth both as a person and player.

“That first game back (against Brisbane), it was an unbelievable feeling,” he said.

“Playing football is something I’ll never take for granted now because I’ve been out for so long.

“When you do come back you realise you may not ever get that chance again.

“I’ve learned a lot. I think I have improved and shown people what I can do.

“Now I’ve just got to do it more on a consistent basis.”

http://www.news.com.au/sport/football/melbourne-citys-connor-chapman-making-up-for-lost-time-following-illness/story-fnk9a3dc-1227331039313

Looking forward to seeing him get a good pre-season and being stronger next year.

We have 2 young kids in the youth team, Cameron Humphries (16) and Tosin Adarabioyo (17) who is the captain. Both are central defenders and look very good players. I would like to see one of them go to Melbourne for a season to play against stronger players and see how they develop.

Looking forward to seeing him get a good pre-season and being stronger next year.

We have 2 young kids in the youth team, Cameron Humphries (16) and Tosin Adarabioyo (17) who is the captain. Both are central defenders and look very good players. I would like to see one of them go to Melbourne for a season to play against stronger players and see how they develop.

I'd like Man city players that would improve our squad. Not a dumping ground to help man city give experience to their children