Connor Chapman

DieHardRed

• 4 weeks later...

A-League: five things to look out for in round 16

Paul Connolly

5 February 2015 

[...]

The Chapman Effect

Rob Wielaert may not agree in this instance but you’ve got to enjoy quirky statistics while they last. So consider this: since former Newcastle Jet Connor Chapman replaced Wielaert in City’s central defence back on 7 December (a week after City’s slack-jawed 5-1 loss at the Phoenix) City have won four and drawn one of five matches. The one time since then that Chapman didn’t play (when John van’t Schip cunningly decided to rest him ahead of the A-League going on a month’s hiatus) City lost 2-0 to the Central Coast. Wielaert, as it happens, played that game, back in central defence with Paddy Kisnorbo.

As convenient as it would be to blame Wielaert for City’s poor start to the season, the Heart’s form last year and, while we’re looking for scapegoats, the death of Harold Holt, it’s clear City’s resurgence has more to do with just the shift of Chapman to central defence in his stead. City’s good run has also coincided more or less with the belated appearance of Robbie Koren, the fine form (and four goals) of midfield rock Aaron Mooy and useful contributions across the park, including those of Ben Garuccio at left-back and emerging midfielder Jacob Melling, a young man as combustible as polyester pyjamas. So, really, Wielaert shouldn’t be damned by statistics just yet.

In any case, the Chapman Effect will be tested vigorously in the weeks ahead as City play Victory, Wellington, Perth and Adelaide. Saturday night’s match against Victory — who’ll play without the suspended Mark Milligan and injured Matthieu Delpierre — at Etihad will be particularly tough. Not only are Victory still smarting after conceding two late goals in their last match to draw away at leaders Perth, but they’re last start derby losers, City dispatching them 1-0 in injury-time. We’ve every reason to expect an entertaining game.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2015/feb/06/a-league-five-things-round-16

Edited by Murfy1

The Chapman Effect: it's because he plays forward balls. and isn't scared to make forward runs, much in the same vein as Trent Sainsbury. Kisborbo and Weileart end up passing it to each other, then when they get shut down they either pass it to Hoffman or previously Ramsay at LB, who are both useless at getting the ball up. 

At least Chapman plays forward balls which then hit Paartarlu or Mooy, and in Mooy's case you have the ball in the correct guy's feet to knock it in dangerous areas.

• 3 weeks later...

Fucking psycho and I absolutely love it.

Pure love for this bloke. Doesn't take shit, stirs the pot, gets in faces, full blooded challenges. Passionate.

Chapman, Melling and Mooy make me a believer that we could be something to be proud of on the field.Too bad Chapman and Melling, being just 20 and 19 respectively, probably won't stay for more than another season.

Fucking psycho and I absolutely love it.

Pure love for this bloke. Doesn't take shit, stirs the pot, gets in faces, full blooded challenges. Passionate.

Chapman, Melling and Mooy make me a believer that we could be something to be proud of on the field. Too bad Chapman and Melling, being just 20 and 19 respectively, probably won't stay for more than another season.

All three actually.

Played well in the second half.

I have no idea what his role was in the first.  5 Defenders ???????????????  What are you doing JVS?????????

Maybe his lack of a direct role in the first half led him to push up, leaving the Adelaide attacker free for the first goal.

But his return to CB in the second half was sublime.

Another Curtis Good!  

Played well in the second half.

I have no idea what his role was in the first.  5 Defenders ???????????????  What are you doing JVS?????????

Maybe his lack of a direct role in the first half led him to push up, leaving the Adelaide attacker free for the first goal.

But his return to CB in the second half was sublime.

Another Curtis Good!  

I hope that his body holds up better than CG.

Thought the derby and Wellington away he had a shocker. But a deserving nomination on balance across the season so far. Kids going to be a beast. Hopefully now with CFG we can hold on to the likes of Melling and chapman longer than we would have with Sidwell flogging any youth off at the first sign of dollars.

Melbourne City's Connor Chapman earns A-League gong

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/soccer/melbourne-citys-connor-chapman-earns-aleague-gong-20150306-13wzpw.html 

Melbourne City defender Connor Chapman has been rewarded for his sharp start at the A-League club with February's Young Player of the Month award.

Signed in the off-season from Newcastle, Chapman had to wait for his chance in the first team after contracting glandular fever before round one.

His first match in a City shirt brought the club's first clean sheet of the season, and Chapman hasn't looked back.

He has formed a tough and tight partnership with experienced centre back Patrick Kisnorbo, earning four clean sheets in 10 matches.

"In defence, me and Patty have been pretty strong, with the back four," he said.

The 20-year-old was keen to thank his teammates for contributing to his good form.

"The more games I get, the more confident I get and, hopefully, the better I get.

"This is a good achievement but I can't get too ahead of myself.

"We've been working pretty hard lately and (the award) is one of the added bonuses."

Chapman's junior club, Moorebank Sports Club, receives a $1500 equipment pack and $1000 from NAB as part of the award.

Melbourne City play Central Coast on Sunday in Gosford.

really stoked for the kid.

Edited by mattyh001

The thing that shocks me is I seem to be the only one on this forum who is fascinated by the fact that a senior scout from Arsenal was at our last game taking notes.  i suspect its due to Chapman, but that's just my best guess.  

Source ? 

The thing that shocks me is I seem to be the only one on this forum who is fascinated by the fact that a senior scout from Arsenal was at our last game taking notes. i suspect its due to Chapman, but that's just my best guess.

I would think it's for Mabil

The thing that shocks me is I seem to be the only one on this forum who is fascinated by the fact that a senior scout from Arsenal was at our last game taking notes. i suspect its due to Chapman, but that's just my best guess.

That was my thoughts.

• Like 1

That was my thoughts.

Tando+Velaphi+UggJQwgrn32m.jpg

• Like 2

Source ? Me.

Saw Brian McDermott at the game. Talked about it in that game thread, everyone ignored me (sob sob).

As to WHY, well speculating on that is what forums are for

Mabil didn't put his best forward then, did he! Ordinary game and spat the dummy like a 10 year old for being subbed. The thing is though McDermott didn't speak to pissants after the game, rather he came to our bench.

Arsenal scout. Wouldnt be looking at defenders.... BOOM

The thing that shocks me is I seem to be the only one on this forum who is fascinated by the fact that a senior scout from Arsenal was at our last game taking notes.  i suspect its due to Chapman, but that's just my best guess.  

Source ? 

1. There's no way the owners of Manchester City will allow another club they own to be a feeder of its talented young players to a major competitor like Arsenal.

2. If a young player is going anywhere, it is to Manchester City.

Edited by Parrot

Source ?

1. There's no way the owners of Manchester City will allow another club they own to be a feeder of its talented young players to a major competitor like Arsenal.

Unless they aren't interested in the player. I'm sure Man City are going to sign players from us they don't need or want just so another club doesn't purchase them.

Source ?

Unless they aren't interested in the player. I'm sure Man City are going to sign players from us they don't need or want just so another club doesn't purchase them.

Of course.

But I reckon the transfer fees we will demand for our talented players will take the A League to a new level.

No more $500,000 to one million dollars being a good fee.