Melbourne Football

Connor Chapman

DieHardRed

3 hours ago, heart_fan10 said:

Spot on Dylan this injury could have been avoided if Melling wasn't careless 

surely with gameiro and chapman out we'll have some decent $$ for an injury replacement. Heard Wilkinson is coming out of contract at his Asian club in January? 

I could be wrong but I don't think we can combine the 2 salarys for 1 player, as if Chapman comes back early we would be over cap (assuming were paying maximum)

Terrible luck for Chapman. He'd been showing some solid form up until the injury.

And it is just a tragic outcome IMO, something that couldn't be seen coming. Chapman hasn't had an injury like this before. So unlike other players who either relapsed into injury--Corey Gameiro, Michael Zullo--and aging players susceptible to injury--Robert Koren, Aaron Hughes-- Chapman's injury was unexpected. You could argue Chapman should be our first injury of the season, because the club courted danger by making so many risky signings, and it was predictable that they'd wind up on the injury list this season.

Anyway hopefully the club can get some minutes and value out of our injury prone players (those players with prior injuries, and those aging players) over the rest of the season, and Connor Chapman can get back on the pitch before season's end and show his injury was just a one-off aberration, and he's not another player who will endlessly be stuck on our injured list.

Chapman won't undergo surgery. He'll rest for a bit then get straight into rehab:

Melbourne City defender Connor Chapman ruled out til March through injury

December 15, 2015

David Davutovic

Melbourne City have lost their defensive mainstay Connor Chapman until March after suffering a torn medial collateral ligament.

While Chapman dodged a bullet by avoiding the more serious anterior cruciate ligament injury, he misses a key chunk of the season for City and has been robbed of the chance to play for the Olyroos in next month’s Rio 2016 qualifiers.

Chapman, who along with Bruno Fornaroli was the only City player to play every league and Cup minute this season, has avoided surgery and has been ordered to rest in the short-term before commencing rehab.

Northern Ireland defender Aaron Hughes is expected to be passed fit and replace Chapman, while Jacob Melling is another option after he appears to have avoided serious injury despite also coming off.

A best-case scenario would see Chapman back in two months, well before the A-League finals series, while it could stretch out to three months, on the eve of the finals series.

“Melbourne City can confirm that defender Connor Chapman will be sidelined for up to three months after suffering a tear to the MCL of his left knee in Sunday’s 4-0 win over Newcastle Jets at Hunter Stadium,’’ the City statement said.

“Following the match, scans confirmed a tear to Chapman’s left MCL. Chapman will commence his rehabilitation within the club immediately.’’

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/football/a-league/teams/melbourne-city/melbourne-city-defender-connor-chapman-ruled-out-til-march-through-injury/news-story/bab81be04aa922e43b249f58b582b993

• 1 month later...

I think that report might be a mistake.

I hope it's correct though. Much like with last season, where Chapman's (and Tando's) appearances had a strong correlation with cleansheets, this season again our defence has turned to rubbish when he's not in the team. His last game was our only cleansheet this season, the 4-0 win away to Newcastle, and since then we've conceded: 1 goal, 3 goals, 2 goals, 2 goals and 2 goals last night.

Chapman adds a lot to our defence, and he can't return soon enough.

• Like 1

• 11 months later...
3 minutes ago, rayv36 said:

What's the go with Chapman, surely he should be getting a game alongside Ryuon or is he on the outter looking the leave Jan?

Considering Rose and Muscut are playing ahead of him at CB I'd say he'll be leaving.  IMO hope we keep him

28 minutes ago, rayv36 said:

What's the go with Chapman, surely he should be getting a game alongside Ryuon or is he on the outter looking the leave Jan?

He's in the squad for today isn't he? But who knows. We're already seeing the usual bizarre mid-season selections from JvS. Bloke can't help himself. 

So Chappy still required according to Valkanis.

From this article:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/jan/07/defenders-shine-for-melbourne-city-in-victory-over-western-sydney

The downside to Tongyik’s emergence was Connor Chapman’s non-selection, but Valkanis said the 22-year-old hot prospect still was “a required player”.

Chappo just missed out from playing this week. It’s something I can’t discuss, the conversation we had, it’s personal,” he said. “He’s a very good defender. Especially now we’re playing with four [defenders], you need the extra central defenders.

4 hours ago, HEARTinator said:

So Chappy still required according to Valkanis.

From this article:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/jan/07/defenders-shine-for-melbourne-city-in-victory-over-western-sydney

The downside to Tongyik’s emergence was Connor Chapman’s non-selection, but Valkanis said the 22-year-old hot prospect still was “a required player”.

Chappo just missed out from playing this week. It’s something I can’t discuss, the conversation we had, it’s personal,” he said. “He’s a very good defender. Especially now we’re playing with four [defenders], you need the extra central defenders.

Also suggests back four is going to be the usual set up...

26 minutes ago, fensaddler said:

He said in the interview that back four is the basis of their game and something that was practiced throughout preseason. They did however train a back 3 as well so they could change when necassary. 

Edited by n i k o

1 hour ago, fensaddler said:

So we've spent half the season fucking about experimenting with three at the back, and only now when Sydney have bolted for home are we going to play four. Good work City.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, jw1739 said:

So we've spent half the season fucking about experimenting with three at the back, and only now when Sydney have bolted for home are we going to play four. Good work City.

And judging by what Valkanis said it simply doesn't make sense. My understanding is playing four at the back is suppose to be our base. I don't know why we then played 3 at the back so often then. 

The back 3 worked for about a month when teams went what the fuck is going on,  what is Kilkenny doing

But once teams worked it out it was pretty easy to beat, I understood why we played it more often than not as it worked really well when it did.  But the time definitely came to go back to a back 4 as the standard with the option to move back to a 3 during game 

16 minutes ago, neio said:

The back 3 worked for about a month when teams went what the fuck is going on,  what is Kilkenny doing

But once teams worked it out it was pretty easy to beat, I understood why we played it more often than not as it worked really well when it did.  But the time definitely came to go back to a back 4 as the standard with the option to move back to a 3 during game 

Oh, you mean like use tactics - now I get it...

Good word says chapman has multiple offers.

early Jan graham Arnold called city offering a swap deal for chapman, not sure which player was offered. Smart coaching, clear out one of his unwanted players clearing cap space while also bringing in player you want. If only city management were that strategic.

Also most other A-League clubs enquired but mariners and Adelaide really wanting him.

word is he asked city to leave because of lack of opportunities and very lucrative Asian offer. City told him no because they don't have any replacements and haven't been proactive in market.

Don't understand how he hasn't been playing this season, he hasn't lost s game when he's played and has conceded max 1 goal in games he's played. Don't want to lose him unless we get transfer fee but to be fair he should've played more this season and hasn't been given adequate opportunity. 

Tongyik 5 games - 8 goals conceded and 6 points won

Chapman 4 games- 3 goals conceded and 8 points won. Yet to lose. 

Edited by melby

13 minutes ago, melby said:

Good word says chapman has multiple offers.

early Jan graham Arnold called city offering a swap deal for chapman, not sure which player was offered. Smart coaching, clear out one of his unwanted players clearing cap space while also bringing in player you want. If only city management were that strategic.

Also most other A-League clubs enquired but mariners and Adelaide really wanting him.

word is he asked city to leave because of lack of offers and very lucrative Asian offer. City told him no because they don't have any replacements and haven't been proactive in market.

Don't understand how he hasn't been playing this season, he hasn't lost s game when he's played and has conceded max 1 goal in games he's played. Don't want to lose him unless we get transfer fee but to be fair he should've played more this season and hasn't been given adequate opportunity. 

Tongyik 5 games - 8 goals conceded and 6 points won

Chapman 4 games- 3 goals conceded and 8 points won. Yet to lose. 

If the back 4 becomes the base formation of all future setups then Chapman will get alot of game time in second half of the season. Ruon has been good and shows great promise but at some point he will plateau/fatigue getting used to senior football at that point it opens the door for Chapman. Probably within the next few if I were to guess. At this point a hungry desperate Chapman could excel and fight super hard to keep his spot.

(well that's how it should be not necessarily will).

Edited by Jovan
  • Like 1