Melbourne Football

Connor Chapman

DieHardRed

Major problem though

Either the end of this season but definitely the next one,he will be on his way to a better league

To be honest I don't seem him moving until he's 23 24... Young AUS CB's need at least 2-3 full seasons of senior football I reckon before they can go overseas and make an impact in a very good league

Major problem though

Either the end of this season but definitely the next one,he will be on his way to a better league

Well the good thing with the group of teams we can say to him stay for for 4 or 5 seasons and we will move you on to either the US or Europe (I am sure we will have some sort of agreement with someone in Europe by then).

Then again he may just want to play in Australia and enjoy his football.

Major problem though

To be honest I don't seem him moving until he's 23 24... Young AUS CB's need at least 2-3 full seasons of senior football I reckon before they can go overseas and make an impact in a very good league Didn't stop Newcastle taking Curtis Good

Major problem though

To be honest I don't seem him moving until he's 23 24... Young AUS CB's need at least 2-3 full seasons of senior football I reckon before they can go overseas and make an impact in a very good leagueDidn't stop Newcastle taking Curtis Good I thought it was more to balance our books to be honest

Major problem though

To be honest I don't seem him moving until he's 23 24... Young AUS CB's need at least 2-3 full seasons of senior football I reckon before they can go overseas and make an impact in a very good leagueDidn't stop Newcastle taking Curtis Good I thought it was more to balance our books to be honest That was probably Heart's motivation to let him go, but I'm saying that young CBs don't need that much experience for big clubs to come knocking. As much as we'd love to keep him, if a European club gave him an offer he'd probably jump at the chance, as would any young footballer

There's still a budget to keep to, there still is the need to showcase our ability to get young players moves to Europe so we can continue to attract the best young talent, and most important of all the players dream of going to Europe.

So I don't see any reason why we wouldn't still be selling these guys on, we just won't be as desperate for the money so we'd probably end up holding on to them longer but it's still inevitable that good young players will be sold.

This kid is amazing. 

Our younger guys are fucking incredible. So refreshing to see after last season.

Melling and Chap in particular are killing it.

Let's not forget that previously under JVS we had young players really doing well - Marrone, Behich and Babalj were all firing.

We quickly lost them - I read that our owners took the first offer to balance the books.

This time it's different - with super rich owners they will feel under no financial pressure to take offers for needed players, plus all our players do get additional benefits

such as off season in Europe first class etc.

This kid is amazing. 

Our younger guys are fucking incredible. So refreshing to see after last season.

Melling and Chap in particular are killing it.

Let's not forget that previously under JVS we had young players really doing well - Marrone, Behich and Babalj were all firing.

We quickly lost them - I read that our owners took the first offer to balance the books.

This time it's different - with super rich owners they will feel under no financial pressure to take offers for needed players, plus all our players do get additional benefits

such as off season in Europe first class etc.

Not correct. These players had buy-out clauses in their contracts. Any club matching that offer, and the player wanted to go, Heart had no choice but to let him go.

I understand that it's quite common for such clauses to be in contracts. The trick is to set the trigger amount at a sensible level. History suggests that too many young players have gone overseas at ridiculously low transfer fees.

Of course, if the trigger level is set too high the player simply waits until the end of his contract and then leaves for free.

• Like 1

Was voted MOTM on the Melbourne City website:

2vdk2ro.jpg

http://www.melbournecityfc.com.au/article/motm-connor-chapman-is-your/1csxxabe9w6i31qq5xdn7n7bpn

Was named 1 of Caughtoffside's top 5 players of the week:

Connor Chapman (Melbourne City)

Chapman was excellent in organising the Melbourne City defence as well helping keep the dangerous Besart Berisha quiet.

The youngster was absolutely pivotal in City’s win over its crosstown rivals.

http://www.caughtoffside.com/2014/12/22/a-league-round-11-top-five-players-of-the-week-perth-glory-melbourne-city-wellington-phoenix-stars-steal-the-show/

And was the Herald Sun MOTM:

Connor Chapman 

An accomplished display from the former Newcastle defender, keeping City's defensive third together. 

Chapman is the real deal. He has transformed not only our defence, but our entire team in the 3 games he has played. He is so sharp across the ground, and reads the play fantastically. He also puts in 100%, loves a strong challenge and gave Williams a bollocking today for not making a run when he should have. Teams are also having to adjust to the threat of him carrying the ball into midfield, when they drop off too deep. If he keeps going like this we'll find it very very difficult to keep him come seasons end. Socceroos CB at the next World Cup for mine.

Maybe i'm getting carried away, but f&*k me he is brilliant!

• Like 1

Da na na na Chapman. ( Batman theme song)

That is brilliant. Lock that in. Does anyone on here know some of the guys who lead the chants? We need some better 'player' chants- like this one. Why we haven't sorted something out for Paartalu to the tune of Waterloo by Abba is beyond me

That is brilliant. Lock that in. Does anyone on here know some of the guys who lead the chants? We need some better 'player' chants- like this one. Why we haven't sorted something out for Paartalu to the tune of Waterloo by Abba is beyond me

dunno can we really sing Portaloo.

paartalu is easy -

• Like 1

Chapman is the real deal. He has transformed not only our defence, but our entire team in the 3 games he has played. He is so sharp across the ground, and reads the play fantastically. He also puts in 100%, loves a strong challenge and gave Williams a bollocking today for not making a run when he should have. Teams are also having to adjust to the threat of him carrying the ball into midfield, when they drop off too deep. If he keeps going like this we'll find it very very difficult to keep him come seasons end. Socceroos CB at the next World Cup for mine.

Maybe i'm getting carried away, but f&*k me he is brilliant!

Agree, he just needs to improve his passing ability to find that killer penetrating pass out of defence. It's that first pass during attacking transition that creates panic in opposing teams and is crucial.

dunno can we really sing Portaloo.

paartalu is easy -

Paartaluuuuu

HEY!

Paartalu.

Paartalu Paartalu Parta-Paartalu.

Love the suggestion.

Happy to shout out this one.

• Like 1

All class

He isn't in the squad for the Asian Cup, but he is a potential long-term star in central defence for the Socceroos.

False 9 is talking about Connor Chapman, who had a delayed start to the season with Melbourne City because of injury and illness but who is powering since resuming.

Chapman only turned 20 in October, but he already has authority and his presence is a big reason City's defence has improved dramatically in recent weeks.

Watch him go.

http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/article/2014/12/29/false-9-round-12-arnold-career-worst-form

Edited by Murfy1
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...