Melbourne Football

Connor Chapman

DieHardRed

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

A very welcome presence in our defence.

Was the injury to Connor Chapman perhaps a bigger blow to the team than the injury to Robert Koren? The team really needed the likes of a fit Connor Chapman IMO.

I think this is a very good point.

There's been plenty of talk of how badly we recruited in terms of defenders this season, but we did recruit Chapman and I imagine he would have been key in the structure of our defensive setup from the start. 

Very much the forgotten man of the season so far with all the finger pointing going on elsewhere. I believe we have missed him greatly.

Both players missed are very important. One has the ability to unlock defences and link everything up in attack whilst the other is a solid rock to build our defensive foundation on.

Edited by rass

A very welcome presence in our defence.

Was the injury to Connor Chapman perhaps a bigger blow to the team than the injury to Robert Koren? The team really needed the likes of a fit Connor Chapman IMO.

Too early to say. We have had many great first performances but little follow through. Although having Chapman back does increase competition a little bit for the defence.

ok the kid played an ok game

his distribution was not great,

he gave away the ball too many times in the first half, trying to play the 40metre ball over the top for the strikers to latch on too

I thought we were trying to get rid of this long ball shit

he was okay,

Is this a step up from what we are used to?

then yes it was

give him a few more weeks in the first team to see how he goes

ie against an inform Victory in the derby

he gave away the ball too many times in the first half, trying to play the 40metre ball over the top for the strikers to latch on too

he was okay,

then yes it was

To be fair to all of our defenders they play long balls because noone in the midfield drops back to receive the ball. I dont think ive ever seen a heart/city midfielder drop back to receive on a constant basis

he was okay,

then yes it was

To be fair to all of our defenders they play long balls because noone in the midfield drops back to receive the ball. I dont think ive ever seen a heart/city midfielder drop back to receive on a constant basis

Murdocca does, except he simply passes it back to a CB or sideways to a full back.

• Like 1

he was okay,

then yes it was

so true

our holding midfielder, Big Erik, plus Mooy, dont seem to present themselves early for an outlet, compare this to Brattan, who still stood out as an example of making himself available for a pass

It's not just the midfielders

It's our whole mindset

many times our fullbacks are available for an outlet, but we still hoof it forward via the keeper or cb's

simple triangles to play it out

Edited by japiedog
  • Like 1

This was the first time I have seen this kid play and I was impressed by his defending. Seems to have a cool head and a bit of pace. Of course he needs to improve his distribution. However, a defender's first job is to defend and he did that very well today.

remember watching him play at Newcastle a couple of times and he always seemed handy so i'm not too surprised.  

will be interesting to see how he goes against the visitors since they actually have a potent forward line

Connor Chapman’s pre-season saw the young defender deal with injury and illness. However, his long-awaited debut and standout performance on Sunday was no surprise to the Melbourne City FC coaching staff.

Chapman’s tumultuous off-season was fraught with a bout of glandular fever that prevented him from travelling with the squad to Manchester.

The Olyroo and former Newcastle Jet spent most of his early preparation on an individual program and worked through the Foxtel National Youth League side to take his chance on Sunday.

From the three matches Chapman played with the FNYL side, FNYL Head Coach Joe Palatsides knew it was matter of when, not if, the central defender would be part of the senior side.

“He is going to be a great asset for this Club,” Palatsides said.

“We always knew Connor was a quality talent. Not only for the youth team, but there is no doubt that he will knock down the door for senior selection week in, week out.”

After the disappointing result in Wellington, the opportunity for Chapman to enter the side and Head Coach John van’t Schip felt Chapman well and truly stepped up to the mark on Sunday.

“Looking at where he came from, I think he played a decent game,” van’t Schip said.

“He was controlled, he was disciplined, he tried to play out from the back when he could. The times that he had the ball he tried to look forward and had a few good cross passes and interceptions so he looked very strong.

“[He looked] composed with Patrick (Kisnorbo) together in the centre so I'm happy he’s back in and he’ll give the squad some extra competition in the back.”

With competition rife for the central defending position, Chapman has thrown his hat in the ring as one of the contenders going forward with his performance on Sunday.

Read more at http://www.melbournecityfc.com.au/article/chapmans-debut-a-long-time-coming/9vys287msn4r15d9333k9n7go#mR4zRzLqh0h8bS6M.99

• 2 weeks later...