Melbourne Football

Boxing

Begbie

• 2 weeks later...

So can someone tells us about that Mundine fight? Was that bloke he beat any good and was it actually a real fight?

He had a good record but hadn't fought anyone of any status. Still a decent fight for Mundine given his age. Pretty low level fight despite what he'd have you believe but he'll get a couple more fights now and a few final paydays which is the best he can hope for now. 

• 2 months later...

Talk is Maywaether vs Pacquiao has finally been made. It's years too late tho IMO Floyd looks to be finally slowing down a bit and Manny hasnt been quiet the same since JMM knocked his dick in the dirt. Bob Arum the piece of shit is involved so expect everything to fall through and someone to get fucked over.

Edited by Pigs 2
  • Like 1

Talk is Maywaether vs Pacquiao has finally been made. It's years too late tho IMO Floyd looks to be finally slowing down a bit and Manny hasnt been quiet the same since JJM knocked his dick in the dirt. Bob Arum the piece of shit is involved so expect everything to fall through and someone to get fucked over.

by

350 million pay day. Hope it doesnt fall through

Mayweather vs Pacquiao is on for May 2nd. Expect it to smash the boxing gate record (20mil) and the PPV buy record (2.45mil) they will try to cash in on this so I'm guessing PPV will cast between $80 - $100

My prediction for the fight is Floyd UD. This happend like most people thought it would, Floyd waiting for Manny to slow down and go broke and get the fight on his terms.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Lucas Browne wins the WBA heavyweight title:

http://www.triplem.com.au/melbourne/sport/other-sports/news/2016/3/aussie-boxer-becomes-our-1st-heavyweight-champion-of-the-world/

The highlights show he has a vicious right hand, but can't say i know much about him.  Anyone seen him fight?  

These days there are so many titles, but WBA at least has a long history.  Anyway whatever way you cut it, it was still a fair effort to go to Grozny and get* the belt.

* on SEN this morning he said he had to give the belt back!  His is coming in the mail.  WBA a horse and buggy outfit?

13 hours ago, Shahanga said:

Lucas Browne wins the WBA heavyweight title:

http://www.triplem.com.au/melbourne/sport/other-sports/news/2016/3/aussie-boxer-becomes-our-1st-heavyweight-champion-of-the-world/

The highlights show he has a vicious right hand, but can't say i know much about him.  Anyone seen him fight?  

These days there are so many titles, but WBA at least has a long history.  Anyway whatever way you cut it, it was still a fair effort to go to Grozny and get* the belt.

* on SEN this morning he said he had to give the belt back!  His is coming in the mail.  WBA a horse and buggy outfit?

Tyson Fury is the current WBA heavyweight super champ (among the other titles he holds) and this lad is the WBA 'regular' champ, which means fuck all really. This bloke wont even be in line for a shot at Fury.

• 2 months later...

Watching the Manila Ali v Frazier fight right now. What a war! Frazier always coming forward throwing vicious body shots. Ali picking him off with head shots and looking to get space and box (& when he did it was devastating) landing those sledge hammer combination s. Frazier of course was not let come out for round 15. Ali would later report he went to hospital and in his words "was near death".

34 minutes ago, KSK_47 said:

Uh great. Now my social media is going to be spammed by people who yesterday didnt know or care about boxing, but are suddenly Ali fans and have been since childhood

First world problem.

If it bothers you have less shallow social media connections.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Shahanga said:

First world problem.

Pffffffft. Whatever mate. You get up on the wrong side of the bed today or something?

*you want to talk about first world problems- how about getting upset that some guy you never knew and only knew existed because he was good at punching and being punched died?

Edited by KSK_47

13 minutes ago, KSK_47 said:

Pffffffft. Whatever mate. You get up on the wrong side of the bed today or something?

Got up ok but the weather is running me down.  I guess I think the passing of Ali is a great loss to the human race (because at his peak he was so much more than a boxer) and whilst inevitable, not a trivial matter, so that the fact it may generate some peripheral annoyance is not really important.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

@GreenSeater i agree that was an amazing fight (though brutal to the point that you start asking yourself, "should i be enjoying watching this"?) however critics have always rated their first fight, in New York City, won by Frazier on points, as the best.  

BTW amazingly Frazier could only see out of one eye apparently, a secret he kept until he retired, having fooled medical examiners with the old trick of swapping hands, but still covering the same eye.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Shahanga said:

@GreenSeater i agree that was an amazing fight (though brutal to the point that you start asking yourself, "should i be enjoying watching this"?) however critics have always rated their first fight, in New York City, won by Frazier on points, as the best.  

BTW amazingly Frazier could only see out of one eye apparently, a secret he kept until he retired, having fooled medical examiners with the old trick of swapping hands, but still covering the same eye.  

Yeah no doubt people will disagree but for me this is the best. The sheer determination by both fighters. Neither of them were willing to accept defeat and I honestly think Frazier would have kept fighting until Ali killed him if the referees had allowed it. Whilst Ali is obviously the GOAT, I feel like Frazier never gets the recognition he deserves. Dude was an absolute animal and was just phenomenal to watch.

6 hours ago, GreenSeater said:

Yeah no doubt people will disagree but for me this is the best. The sheer determination by both fighters. Neither of them were willing to accept defeat and I honestly think Frazier would have kept fighting until Ali killed him if the referees had allowed it. Whilst Ali is obviously the GOAT, I feel like Frazier never gets the recognition he deserves. Dude was an absolute animal and was just phenomenal to watch.

Frazier was incredible. In the Manila fight what happened was Frazier's one good eye closed and given he could barely see out of the other one, he was fighting effectively blind, which explains the hiding he took in the 14th round. He wanted to fight on but his corner stopped the fight, worried he might die.

In the other corner Ali got up from his stool to accept the accolades and promptly collapsed (conditions in the stadium were like a sauna as the fight was timed for prime time broadcast in the US, not the local weather). His post fight interview (from a stool) featured "retirement" as a general theme. Years later he says he went to hospital that night and in his words was "near death".

Watching the fight it's not clear to me who was ahead on points (but I suspect Ali, just). Nearly All rounds were close. I gather several journalists had it either even or Frazier a point ahead, though the judges are the only cards that matter of course.

• 1 year later...

I see Troy Waters has passed away.  WAS A top boxer, best of the 3 brothers, coached of course by their pyschopathic father Cec, whose one redeeming feature was his boxing training ability.

here is the time Troy sat a world champ on his backside.

Vale.

Edited by Shahanga
  • Like 2

• 2 years later...

Bump.

Great win by Lopez but think Loma deserves a rematch at some point - so much talk about the inactive first few rounds. However I’d like to see him take a few warm up fights before getting back in. 

Also a few more Lightweight fights to look forward to with Kambosos v Lee Selby coming up and Luke Campbell v Ryan Garcia towards the end of the year. 

9 hours ago, Hackett said:

Bump.

Great win by Lopez but think Loma deserves a rematch at some point - so much talk about the inactive first few rounds. However I’d like to see him take a few warm up fights before getting back in. 

Also a few more Lightweight fights to look forward to with Kambosos v Lee Selby coming up and Luke Campbell v Ryan Garcia towards the end of the year. 

Good summary, I just couldn't believe that Loma did nothing for the first few rounds. Maybe he thought he could just knock him out at the end? Definitely deserves a rematch.

I'm excited tonight to see how this Justin huni bloke goes. For his first professional fight to be a title fight, he must be very highly rated.

Hoping to see the next fury fight against wilder too soon. The excuse wilder used for losing because the suit he wore into the game was such bullshit. Wilder will never be the boxer that fury is.

6 hours ago, kingofhearts said:

Good summary, I just couldn't believe that Loma did nothing for the first few rounds. Maybe he thought he could just knock him out at the end? Definitely deserves a rematch.

I'm excited tonight to see how this Justin huni bloke goes. For his first professional fight to be a title fight, he must be very highly rated.

Hoping to see the next fury fight against wilder too soon. The excuse wilder used for losing because the suit he wore into the game was such bullshit. Wilder will never be the boxer that fury is.

Think for Loma it was a case of ring rust (coming in off a 14 month lay off) and being too cautious against a much bigger fighter. Was respecting him way too much early on. 

Justis Huni is probably the closest thing we’ve ever had to an Olympic Gold Medal prospect for Australia. Should be an easy night for him.