Melbourne Football

***Help Keep the Red & White***

FB.

Just regarding the application, it doesn't necessarily refer to a home kit. This may be an application for a sky blue away kit, or variation thereof, as don't any kit changes require FFA approval?

Just saying it isn't necessarily the worst case scenario of a sky blue home kit.

Indeed.  Still hope.

Manchester City keep "saying the right things".  We'll soon know if its just lip service.

http://www.shootfarken.com.au/melbourne-heart-city-to-launch-red-white-buy-back-scheme/

Melbourne Heart (City) to launch Red & White Buy-Back Scheme

By Athas Zafiris @ArtSapphire · On April 15, 2014

In a Shoot Farken exclusive, we can reveal that Manchester City, the new mega-rich owners of A-League club Melbourne Heart, will soon be launching The Red & White Bye-Bye Heart Buy-Back Scheme.

According to documents leaked to Shoot Farken, the plan has been partly inspired by the Australian Government’s recently aborted scheme to buy back old boats from Indonesian fishing villages to stop asylum seekers arriving on Australian shores.

A similar principle will apply to deter Melbourne Heart fans seeking to enter AAMI Park Stadium next A-League season in what was described “obsolete, redundant, brand killing Red & White.”

In what amounts to a Faustian pact, Heart fans will be asked to sacrifice their Red & White in exchange for Sky Blue on field success. But there’s more.

Not only will Heart fans be luxuriating in the unfamiliar warm scented bubblebath of this success, they will also be able to exchange their jerseys and their red and white scarves for the sky blue equivalent.

But there’s still more.

Reluctant sky blue wearing Heart fans will be able to exchange their official red and white merchandise for a partial refund on the purchase price.

But they know you want more.

To alleviate any residual bitterness from the exchange, Manchester City will not be setting the collected red and white mass of official merchandise alight this Guy Fawkes Night, November 5, in a massive bonfire as previously planned.

Instead, in what is bound to warm the cockles of even the bitterest Heart fan, they will be sending the stuff to the most impoverished and strife torn countries so they can be worn and used by some of the neediest football players on the planet.

This one simple symbolic exercise will turn Melbourne Heart from modest community club to Melbourne City the global community club.

The leaked document also provides details on how the new owners will appease the harder to please, prone to protest, Yarraside ‘casual’ active fans.

The new owners acknowledge that it’s pointless setting up an exchange program for Fred Perry polo shirts, Sergio Tacchini and Fila track tops, and C.P. Company & K-Way jackets. More creative measures will have to be put in place.

One such plan involves bringing down former Oasis frontman, Brit-pop legend and lad’s mag style icon Liam Gallagher for a stint as “Marquee Capo.”

Manchester City are aware that some members of Yarraside were but a thought bubble in the minds of their parents when (What’s the Story) Morning Glory? was released in 1995.

However, teen-marketing gurus have advised the new owners that Liam belting out “Wonderwall” on the Yarraside megaphone will have the same pacifying effect on the teenagers as Leonard Cohen has on their parents singing “Hallelujah” at his Melbourne concerts.

If resistance continues to be met, the new owners will dig slightly deeper into their bulging pockets and get Liam to personally sign and hand out £125 Green Deansgate Parkas from his very own label, Pretty Green.

• Like 1

FWIW Man City said they would consult and that they would listen to fans, they never said anything about taking our advice or acting in accordance with it. Nothing they have said is a lie. They are carefully wording all information which is being released.

At the end of the day it comes down to them wanting us to look similar to them. Losing 1k of supporters now will be nothing to the amount of supporters they will gain if they have a successful year next year.

• Like 2

Such a shame that it is going to happen, quite clearly the man city hierarchy weren't watching the game last Saturday and a lot of peoples time and money was wasted on the campaign.

Melbourne is sky blue than  :wacko:  :wacko:  :wacko:  :wacko:  :wacko:  :wacko:

I know that a lot of people worked hard on this ( and hats of to them) but i dont feel that my $100 donation was wasted

a statement was made, and the general punter, who isn't on this forum got an insight into the machinations of the future workings

Also I know that I affectionately call the Yarraside, ( and active members ) "nutters"  but to the general punter this would have shed a new light for them on "our nutters"

The thing is it's not just a question of our not wanting to lose the red and white. Two sky blue teams in such a small comp and two blue teams in Melbourne is just dumb. 

There is no getting away from the fact that in this marketplace sky blue = just one thing, NEW SOUTH WALES.  The century plus of tradition In Australia cannot be overturned just because some team on the other side of the world happened to have the same colour.

Not realising that shows a shocking lack of due diligence.

• Like 2

The thing is it's not just a question of our not wanting to lose the red and white. Two sky blue teams in such a small comp and two blue teams in Melbourne is just dumb. 

There is no getting away from the fact that in this marketplace sky blue = just one thing, NEW SOUTH WALES.  The century plus of tradition In Australia cannot be overturned just because some team on the other side of the world happened to have the same colour.

yes and I hate the Waratahs ( the original sky blues)

• Like 1

I am pretty sure the original Sky Blues in Australia were the Sky Blues (Now the Blues) of Australian Domestic Cricket.

(Who are were founded 24 years prior to Manchester City as well FWIW.)

I am pretty sure the original Sky Blues in Australia were the Sky Blues (Now the Blues) of Australian Domestic Cricket.

Yet all of the above means very little on the global branding scale is they care more about world wide exposure then local market acceptance.

Not realising that shows a shocking lack of due diligence. yes and I hate the Waratahs ( the original sky blues) I am pretty sure the original Sky Blues in Australia were the Sky Blues (Now the Blues) of Australian Domestic Cricket.

Yet all of the above means very little on the global branding scale is they care more about world wide exposure then local market acceptance.

Exactly.

Not realising that shows a shocking lack of due diligence. yes and I hate the Waratahs ( the original sky blues) I am pretty sure the original Sky Blues in Australia were the Sky Blues (Now the Blues) of Australian Domestic Cricket.

Except they will play actual football matches in the local market and not on a nebulous "global brand" with "worldwide exposure" (really, worldwide exposure?  Melbourne Heart?? hmm who will i watch tonight, AC Milan, Barcelona, Bayern Munich, Manchester City or Melbourne Heart?????)  Marketing boys need to get a grip if that's what they are thinking.

• Like 1

Japie (and i humbly suggest with a name like that you might be from somewhere else?) unless you are also from Queensland you cannot possible fathom the depth of hate I have for sky blue.  

• Like 1

Except they will play actual football matches in the local market and not on a nebulous "global brand" with "worldwide exposure" (really, worldwide exposure?  Melbourne Heart?? hmm who will i watch tonight, AC Milan, Barcelona, Bayern Munich, Manchester City or Melbourne Heart?????)  Marketing boys need to get a grip if that's what they are thinking. Europeans will not watch it, they don't have to as the have man city

By worldwide exposure I was referring to a blue colour of their brand with potential talent development, merchandise sales, etc....

Not our team playing in front of European audience, which by the way couldn't be bothered waking up early to watch Hoffman and velaphi's technical expertise

What matters to them more?

Red & white team playing in front of 10k or 15k in Australia where only we would care

Or promoting their brand by having united colour

It's no longer about the football .......it's just business.

I'm getting angrier and angrier thinking about this.

Never mind, just read the "Represent the Heart" topic and now I'm feeling cautiously optimistic  :)

Such an emotional rollercoaster recently.

I know, I don't know what to think anymore aha!

Maybe I should just banish myself from anything Melbourne Heart-related until we get some concrete news.

• Like 1

Never mind, just read the "Represent the Heart" topic and now I'm feeling cautiously optimistic  :)

Such an emotional rollercoaster recently.

I know, I don't know what to think anymore aha!

Maybe I should just banish myself from anything Melbourne Heart-related until we get some concrete news.

I've been trying to do that for some time. Hard to stop though!

• Like 1

This is the space I was in about 2 weeks ago, when I suddenly realised, that far from being "a 'tards wind up" there was actually a real push from the club for us to be Sky Blue, the colour I have hated since birth (TBH I never dreamed they would do this).

I've got past a lot of the anger now (not all, as a flick through my posts will quickly show!)  More philosophical.  I have decided what  I consider to be " a bridge too far" (the Cardiff option) and I'll worry about the alternatives as they present themselves.  If I don't like what happens (if i can control my emotions) I hope to make a brief post then depart.  I don't really want to strongly influence others in this, it really is a personal decision. 

Except they will play actual football matches in the local market and not on a nebulous "global brand" with "worldwide exposure" (really, worldwide exposure?  Melbourne Heart?? hmm who will i watch tonight, AC Milan, Barcelona, Bayern Munich, Manchester City or Melbourne Heart?????)  Marketing boys need to get a grip if that's what they are thinking.

Gee if we are being mentioned in the same sentence as those clubs then people will want to watch us play!

Indeed.  New South Wales first played cricket in Sky Blue in 1859 (and have ever since).

That colour then spread to their other sporting teams so that everything NSW was sky blue by the dawn of the 20th Century.   The choice of Sky Blue for NSW would have been at about the same time that the flag of the City of Melbourne was designed. 

A 4 year history? 

Melbourne Heart set to adopt sky blue home strip but will retain red and white colours in some form.

David Davutovic

Herald Sun

April 15, 2014 6:56PM

MELBOURNE Heart’s foundation colours will remain integral to the club’s identity, although the club looks set to adopt the sky blue home strip next season.

The red and white will be retained in some form, possibly in an away strip and/or the new logo, under the new owner’s plans which have been submitted to FFA.

The City Football Group’s vision is to create a consistency in both branding and name across its clubs, although the proposed changes have been met with backlash from Sydney FC.

But the proposals are likely to the green light from the governing body, which owns the trademarks for the 10 A-League clubs.

Hence Melbourne City, as they will be called next season, will almost certainly have a strong dose of light blue in its logo.

Heart’s fan representative group met with club officials on Monday prior to the club’s presentation night at Crown Palladium to discuss its plans.

Chief executive Scott Munn and City board member Simon Pearce acknowledged that the fan’s message about retaining the colours.

The key announcements won’t be made until after the A-League grand final on May 4.

But they are hoping to get proposals ratified by FFA by the end of the month to commence making merchandise for the 2014-15 season.

Heart issued a statement last night, but remained tight-lipped.

”The Club doesn’t comment on media speculation. All decisions about the future of the Club will be based on respect for the traditions and ambitions of our existing fan base, as well as the opportunities provided by our new ownership,’’ the statement said.

City Group officials met Sydney FC chairman Scott Barlow several weeks ago to outline their plans, and an official complaint to FFA ensued.

“FFA has received a submission from the new ownership group of Melbourne Heart relating to name, colours and logo for next season,” said an FFA spokesperson.

“FFA will work through the details and the IP issues with the club. In the near term a decision will be taken.

“Sydney FC has made a submission on this issue and as a courtesy that will be taken into consideration.”

I am not going to believe any media speculation until City themselves come out and confirm it. All of these 'articles' are basically rehashing the same things that have been stated already. I am believing what TA said in the other thread for now, since they were actually there. Also, let's be honest here, Sydney FC would throw a hissy fit if a club tried to introduce a speck of sky blue on the kit's tag.

• Like 1

I am not going to believe any media speculation until City themselves come out and confirm it. All of these 'articles' are basically rehashing the same things that have been stated already. I am believing what TA said in the other thread for now, since they were actually there. Also, let's be honest here, Sydney FC would throw a hissy fit if a club tried to introduce a speck of sky blue on the kit's tag.

From what Tom said on the other thread I would be inclined to go with him. He sat down face to face and you can get a good idea from people's body language etc if they are being sincere.

I have said before that Abu Dhabi are very mindful about the image they portray and that is one of the most important things to them.

It's quite possible they have spoken about changing the colours initially, and have since found the importance the Red & White are to the fans of the Heart.

• Like 1

Japie (and i humbly suggest with a name like that you might be from somewhere else?) unless you are also from Queensland you cannot possible fathom the depth of hate I have for sky blue.  

the missus is a Jaapie, I'm a Scot , whose  old man was mad on Football first and Union second, hence the love of Union as well. NSW and it's love of "owning " all the sport codes ( other than AFL)  leaves me always supporting who ever is playing them

From what Tom said on the other thread I would be inclined to go with him. He sat down face to face and you can get a good idea from people's body language etc if they are being sincere.

I have said before that Abu Dhabi are very mindful about the image they portray and that is one of the most important things to them.

It's quite possible they have spoken about changing the colours initially, and have since found the importance the Red & White are to the fans of the Heart.

Fair enough, but they didn't commit to a whole lot at that meeting, except talk about "getting stuff" and "red and white being important".  If they were to come out and say righto boys sky blue at home and red and white (or vomit combo) away, no one could accuse them of lying; but i would still not be renewing my membership and would probably be severing all ties.

Ultimately my forebears and I have been booing sky blue since 1857.  Its too late to start cheering it now.  

I really think its now the time for PPL to start being more realistic...

The article has even mentioned the FRG and still points toward a Colour Change.

In terms of being realistic. I really hope as a compromise we end up with skyblue and white stripes for home and red and white stripes or sash for away. So then at least we still keep something from the old kit., with maybe some additional token gestures on the home kit, such as a small red heart on the back or front of the kit just underneath the collar or something along those lines

Edited by Dylan
  • Like 1

Would Foxtel have an interest in this? After all when they broadcast the matches between Heart and Sydney then the spectators will all be wearing sky blue and would that make great viewing?

The away bays really aren't ever big enough to notice, having the same colours for more than one team in the league isn't even the issue at hand anyway. 

It's our identity they're taking away from us. It's all good and well to acknowledge what the colours represent for us fans, but it's another to come out and transform our playing strip and in my opinion, it's probably worse that they understand the fans' views but are probably going to go and change things anyway because it suits them.

I think my final word on this until we actually see or hear about an actual proposal.

A Board member has given an assurance to our FRG using certain words and phrases. He is someone who has the power to make things happen.

Journalists are interested only in making a story, and have a vested interest in keeping that story in the headlines as long as possible. They are not part of the decision making process.

• Like 2

This. It's a done deal.

I'm now at the acceptance/hope stage of grief. 

This. It's a done deal.

I'm now at the acceptance/hope stage of grief.

You forgot the ANGER stage.....it kicks in first and I'm only there ATM