Melbourne Football

***Help Keep the Red & White***

FB.

I know I have said that I will be in even if the club changes colours to sky blue, but the more I think about it and the more these 'articles' come out the more I question whether or not I would be able to stomach it. With that being said though, we have done every thing we could do to show City that we don't want our colours to change. Even if we do, and even if I stop supporting what will inevitably be, a mini-Manchester City I have become so proud of the supporters of this club, and in just the last week alone, have gotten even more attached to our red and white.

To be honest though, a part of me doesn't want us to change for the sole reason it would make all the Tards who have been saying shit like 'RIP Heart' look really stupid.

Well I hope that Sydney FC are able to persuade the FFA regarding the clash of colours. After all when Heart have a home game then the stadium will be filled with sky blue as the Sydney supporters will also be waving sky blue. That will not look good on TV. What looks good both at the ground and on TV is the colours of different teams.

Well I hope that Sydney FC are able to persuade the FFA regarding the clash of colours. After all when Heart have a home game then the stadium will be filled with sky blue as the Sydney supporters will also be waving sky blue. That will not look good on TV. What looks good both at the ground and on TV is the colours of different teams.

I'll be there wearing as much red and white as I can.

• Like 3

Sydney FC in blue over new Melbourne Heart colours

April 14, 2014

Dominic Bossi

Sydney FC have lodged a formal complaint to Football Federation Australia in response to an application from Melbourne Heart's new owners to rebrand the A-League team as a franchise of Manchester City, including a change of their playing strip from red and white to sky blue.

Melbourne Heart as we know them may have already played their last game as Fairfax Media has been informed that their new owners submitted a request to the FFA to make the club's name, logo and playing colours synonymous with the English Premier League giants. Under the application, the club will be renamed as Melbourne City, have a new logo and play in a sky blue jersey with white socks and shorts.

However, the proposed changes have not gone down well with the sky blue half of Sydney, with Sydney FC chairman Scott Barlow lodging a formal complaint to the FFA due to the clash of identities. Barlow is unhappy with Heart's bid to play in a similar strip to Sydney FC, who have become so renowned with the colour that "Sky Blues" has become their nickname.

"Sky blue is much more than just a colour for Sydney FC, it's central to our identity. Sky blue represents our club, our harbour city and is the traditional colour of NSW," Barlow said. "We're extremely concerned about the proposed use of sky blue by Melbourne Heart, and we've made our concerns very clear to the FFA."

Manchester City's bid to change the identity of Melbourne Heart is yet to be approved by the FFA, which owns the trademarks of all 10 A-League clubs. It's understood that the FFA is open to the possibility of the rebranding of the Heart, just as they were with Newcastle Jets changing their shirt colours from gold to red and blue following the takeover by Nathan Tinkler in 2010. Any move will be met with fierce resistance by Sydney FC, who are unwilling to share their colour and identity with another club in the A-League.

"In a competition with only 10 teams, the idea of two teams wearing sky blue is nonsensical especially when sky blue is so closely associated with NSW. I believe it's critical to the integrity of the A-League that clubs have identities that are also in representation of where they come from," Barlow said.

There has been a mixed response from Heart fans over the proposed name change to Melbourne City but a change of colours from red and white stripes to sky blue has been met by widespread protest including large-scale banners displayed at games. Heart's current strip was inspired by the colours of the flag of Melbourne, and banners reading "Keep Melbourne red & white" were on display at the final game of the season against Western Sydney Wanderers on Saturday.

"In football, club colours are sacred, and they should represent where a club comes from and not the identity of its owner," Barlow said. "Melbourne Heart fans understand and value the history as to why the club wears red and white, and understandably they would want to protest that."

It's not yet known what the new emblem will look like although Manchester City have shown their willingness to give fans some voice with other football investments, such as their MLS club, New York City FC. The New York club will make its debut in 2015 and play in a strip identical to Manchester City although fans were given the choice to select their new emblem which was recently unveiled and incorporated symbols of the city such as the five boroughs and the subway token.

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/soccer/sydney-fc-in-blue-over-new-melbourne-heart-colours-20140414-zqune.html

So much for consultation...

I guess at least this is all going to be resolved early which ever way it goes

City can officially go f*** themselves. If the colours stay it will be thanks to the FFA and Sydney, not a change of mind by City. So much for consultation.

Indeed.  Fair to say I am now considering my options as a lover of football.

Ultimately you can talk all you like about colours and identity etc, but at some point its about  RESPECT and how people treat you.  

City can officially go f*** themselves. If the colours stay it will be thanks to the FFA and Sydney, not a change of mind by City. So much for consultation.

Could not have said it better myself...

In fact it seems pretty likely that the club had already lodged an application to change its Colours some time prior to last Saturday's match.

Could not have said it better myself...

In fact it seems pretty likely that the club had already lodged an application to change its Colours some time prior to last Saturday's match.

Probably as Malloy said as soon as they purchased the club, along with the melb city trade mark. It still not the end as companies buy trademarks all the time and don't use them, along with domain names. But it doesn't look good...

When you put yourself in their shoes (and assuming they're really clever and don't miss anything), the first thing I would do is approach FFA and say to them that I know they have a say in colour changes but if they allow me to change the team colours I will bring in all this quality to the league and make it bigger better bla bla bla. If there was opposition to what I want I would seriously condsider whether I want to enter the league.

In saying this I think that yes, colours have already been discussed back in January or prior. What did FFA say to them? Who knows.

Edited by n i k o

Still haven't heard anything from the club/CFG and sure as hell aren't going to inform Fairfax through 'sources'

So who's to believe?

Where has this application come from?

How do Sydney FC know about it? 

What 'sources' told them about this so called application?

Whilst I don't agree as much as I did at the start of the 'wait and see' process, this whole thing stinks of sensationalist journalism.

Happy now boys?  You all jumped up and down with excitement when the club was sold..

Did you really expect anything different?

This is a business deal.  They are not here to represent Melbourne, they are representing their own interests and enough bandwagon morons will probably help with that. Anything to win right?

In the meantime, we are losing our club..  Totally...

The old board have alot to answer for as well.. 

Happy now boys?  You all jumped up and down with excitement when the club was sold..

This is a business deal.  They are not here to represent Melbourne, they are representing their own interests and enough bandwagon morons will probably help with that. Anything to win right?

In the meantime, we are losing our club..  Totally...

Reality of the situation.....the club was going to fail spectacularly and be shut down if new ownership didn't come in. This needed to happen. Whatever happens from here for the sake of the credibility of the aleague and football in this country at least we won't see another club fail anytime soon.

• Like 1

Still haven't heard anything from the club/CFG and sure as hell aren't going to inform Fairfax through 'sources'

So who's to believe?

Whilst I don't agree as much as I did at the start of the 'wait and see' process, this whole thing stinks of sensationalist journalism.

Um, not it doesn't...

I think the article is just scaremongering. I wouldn't give up hope just yet.

Um, how?

So who's to believe?

Um, not it doesn't...

Um, how?

So who's to believe?

Um, not it doesn't...

Um, how?

Really?? :hmm:

Because I def dont... and I dont think you will find any bigger bashes of Fairfax on this forum than myself.

So who's to believe?

Um, not it doesn't...

Um, how?

Have to agree with Cadete. The fact that Sydney FC have lodged a formal complaint to the FFA suggests that this isn't sensationalist journalism and is happening right under our noses. I'm usually pessimistic about journalism but Aus football journalists usually have a pretty good track record. They are all saying the same thing, this is happening.

Happy now boys? You all jumped up and down with excitement when the club was sold..

This is a business deal. They are not here to represent Melbourne, they are representing their own interests and enough bandwagon morons will probably help with that. Anything to win right?

In the meantime, we are losing our club.. Totally...

:)

When you put yourself in their shoes (and assuming they're really clever and don't miss anything), the first thing I would do is approach FFA and say to them that I know they have a say in colour changes but if they allow me to change the team colours I will bring in all this quality to the league and make it bigger better bla bla bla. If there was opposition to what I want I would seriously condsider whether I want to enter the league.

In saying this I think that yes, colours have already been discussed back in January or prior. What did FFA say to them? Who knows.

The FFA you would think take a whole league approach. So they probably thought along the lines of...

"another club now has a long term financial future and that it's a potential game changer for the entire league therefore we should probably listen to their demands"

I was probably hasty blaming the journo but I still want to know

• Where has this application come from?

• How do Sydney FC know about it?

• What 'sources' told them about this so called application?

Also referring to TA's post in the rep thread:

They indicated an acceptance that Heart is Red & White.  Acknowledging this, they intend to introduce sky blue into the club (as well).

It was said that City must continue building on what Melbourne Heart already has - there is no desire to create a mini Manchester City, because it won’t work.

If indeed what TA said is true (don't know why it wouldn't be), then why would MCFC lie to the fans and implement the changes the article on page 13 suggests is a foregone conclusion?

So again - who is the source and who is to be believed?

I was probably hasty blaming the journo but I still want to know

• Where has this application come from?

• How do Sydney FC know about it?

• What 'sources' told them about this so called application?
Also referring to TA's post in the rep thread:

They indicated an acceptance that Heart is Red & White.  Acknowledging this, they intend to introduce sky blue into the club (as well).

It was said that City must continue building on what Melbourne Heart already has - there is no desire to create a mini Manchester City, because it won’t work.

If indeed what TA said is true (don't know why it wouldn't be), then why would MCFC lie to the fans and implement the changes the article on page 13 suggests is a foregone conclusion?

So again - who is the source and who is to be believed?

FWIW, I don't think it at all conflicts with what TA said. Like I said in the other thread, it could just mean they'll keep a red & white away kit, or maybe have a bit of red somewhere on the home kit, since there is already some white in the City home kit and the NY branding.

It seems to me we will actually have more similarities with the NY team than Man City, if you look at their branding, they use a bit of orange, as the city of NY's flag is blue (not skye blue though), white and orange. I can see them replacing that orange with a red for us. So we could see red & white on the home kit, but with sky blue being the main colour, and probably a red & white away kit

I wonder if they'd ever say they intend to be a mini NYC as tesla says above...

My interpretation of not being a mini man city is that they mean in terms of the culture at the club and the way it's run, more so than the name or colours. But if you look at the NYC branding, you can see it does have a fair bit difference to what you see at Man City, and there may be further scope for there to be differences in our branding.

220px-New_York_City_FC.svg.png

I think it was in this thread where it was posted we would have a circular badge, so this is probably a starting point of our branding. I'm sure we could expect sky blue in there, but the orange, and perhaps the darker blue (as that's probably come from the NY flag and from the Yankees who are part owners) would be different for us. Also the NYC text, having letters run over the top like that is kind of a Yankees thing, so probably wouldn't expect anything like that for us.

So I guess there is a fair bit of scope to have red & white in there, probably more white than red though.

How that translates to a home kit, no idea at this stage, but reading TA's comments in the other thread about them wanting a recognisable similar identity to the other clubs, I'd say the most likely outcome is something that's primarily sky blue unfortunately.

Also worth remembering, part of the reason for buying us is so they can charge our club a large figure each season for licencing their branding to us, which helps them beat the FFP rules in Europe, I'm sure UEFA will try crack down on this at some point and it will have to at least look somewhat legitimate, so again, points towards sky blue primarily being used.

Edited by Tesla