Melbourne Football

IN or Out

MUTD/MLBHRT/ESSNDON

191 members have voted

1. 1. If a name and colour change came next season who is IN or Out

I haven't responded to this thread yet, or voted, because I'm not sure what the totality of the changes will be and therefore how I'll react. I've wanted to give the owners the benefit of the doubt, and to believe some of the things they've said, and to keep an open mind. But sometimes it feels like it's probably all been for nothing.

Been a member since the first season and I've also bought memberships for family and friends to support the club. I've emailed the membership department at the club to let them know that if changes to both the name and the home colours to sky blue go ahead, I won't be renewing. Like others have said, I might go to games (in red and white) and see how it goes, but if it doesn't feel right, I'll probably drop off. The calibre of marquees and winning silverware, while potentially exciting, won't be the things that keep me supporting the club.

My wife has already cancelled hers. I am the same. A member since day dot, but I will be waiting until more information comes to light to decide if I am renewing. I will still support the club regardless, but probably as a casual supporter if everything changes.

Still looking forward to this TBH:

The fun part of this thread will be...

If these changes do occur seeing which PPL's actions will match their words and which will not...

I presume you never intended this (and I'm sure the decision has now been made), but most of your posts on this matter (apart from your initial "the pixie dust has worn off" one) read to me like you are actively egging Manchester City on to change the colours.  There is a possibility someone from there actually checks this site to monitor opinion and your "just change it, we'll all (which presumably includes yourself) come crawling back anyway" theme, is unlikely to have helped the cause.

• Like 1

Still looking forward to this TBH:

The fun part of this thread will be...

If these changes do occur seeing which PPL's actions will match their words and which will not...

I presume you never intended this (and I'm sure the decision has now been made), but most of your posts on this matter (apart from your initial "the pixie dust has worn off" one) read to me like you are actively egging Manchester City on to change the colours.  There is a possibility someone from there actually checks this site to monitor opinion and your "just change it, we'll all (which presumably includes yourself) come crawling back anyway" theme, is unlikely to have helped the cause.

FFS.

Now that I have been blamed for the actual death of our beloved club is there actually even anything MHFC/Yarraside related left for me to blamed for now on this forum? :hmm:

Edited by cadete
  • Like 1

Chill!!!!!!

1.  Until they do whatever it is they have decided to do, there is nothing to be blamed for

2.  Not blaming you actually and certainly not 100%! just saying you may not have realised that you weren't helping the cause of resistance.  (there is a huge difference between "not helping the resistance" and "actively creating or adding to the problem", never said you did that, or that anyone who even "couldn't give a rats about colours" was doing that)

3. Not blaming you for anything else either!

"serenity now, serenity now, serenity now"

Mate, this Colour Change decision was clearly made when the club was purchased and I am not ashamed of the fact that I accepted the reality of situation months ago rather than campaigning for the obviously Impossible and then refuting every Article on the topic as purely "Media Sensationalism".

This doesn't make me a bad Heart Supporter... It makes me a Realist a tag that through out my life I have been more than happy to wear.

Edited by cadete
  • Like 3

Ok, first post here so a welcome to everyone.

I've been reading through this forum for a while now with great interest and feel now it's my turn to add my 2c worth as a fan and member.

As a fan of the blue and white colours, Victory would have seemed a good fit for me based on that alone. However as much as I tried, I just could not buy into them emotionally - they were and are still not for me.

So when Melbourne Heart came along, I embraced them as my team. So along with my wife and children, who are all Heart members too, we get along to every home game at AAMI decked out in our red and white supporting our team.

Personally, I quite like wearing the red and white and my own opinion is I would rather keep it than change it to sky blue (f**k NSW) or purple or whatever.

However, it is not the end all for me. I support this team and cheer them on because they are my team and if their colours and name changes, I will still support them and come to every game (probably still in my red and white kit!).

What really does sh1t me though is seeing some of the responses of people here and their real bias towards keeping the red and white.

If you really love the colours for what they are (just colours) and seeing them go is enough to make you leave, well then good bye and good luck with whoever you follow next.

However when you come on here and cry 'red and white forever', etc, etc, etc... proudly showing off your Olympiakos emblems, or Sunderland tops, or Polish or Cro flags or whatever, then seriously in my opinion, I have no time for you or your whinging about the possible change. Go back and think of the real reason you follow Melbourne Heart and don't try and hide behind the 'it's our city's colours' and 'it's our coat of arms' excuses that are so convenient here.

...and whilst on the city of Melbourne's coat of arms and flag subject, the thing I see when I first look at it is a great big Cross of St. George slap in the middle of it plus a couple of lions there too. Please correct my history if I am wrong, but I can't recall anywhere St. George slaying a dragon on the banks of the Yarra one day...

Just like our national flag, it's a reference right back to England, yet I bet no one here minds wearing green and gold for Australia, nor do they complain about it.... so really, what does the red and white mean for you?

So as I said before, I would love to keep the red and white, but regardless if we do or don't, I am still in and will be in - along with my family too, because they're the club we chose.

Bring on next season!!!

Edited by rass
  • Like 5

Well said...

Better this than folding... Which wouldn't of been to far off anyway.

Just looking forward to paying next seasons membership and getting to watch decent football for years to come...

The owners of Melbourne Heart were failures, this City buy out is a massive second chance for the football lovers of Heart, not the ego colour hunters. Take it on the chin and move on, because I bet you any money the North Qeensland Furry supporters, from what the no and feel now wouldn't of thought twice!

• Like 1

Well said...

Just looking forward to paying next seasons membership and getting to watch decent football for years to come...

The owners of Melbourne Heart were failures, this City buy out is a massive second chance for the football lovers of Heart, not the ego colour hunters. Take it on the chin and move on, because I bet you any money the North Qeensland Furry supporters, from what the no and feel now wouldn't of thought twice!

We were nowhere near folding. The board had multiple offers before CFG came along

wat.

I love the red and white, not because of the colours themselves, not because of the flag of Melbourne and not because of any other allegiance. I love it because they are the colours I've worn week in, week out for 4 fucking years supporting my team. This is a rational and sentimental love for the red and white stripes of Melbourne Heart.

Change the name and colours and it is no longer my team. End of story. However probably still IN because I need my fix of football and I won't switch allegiance now.

Also it's about the principle of the matter. If city come in here and make us mini man city then it don't show much respect for current fans or even the league or Melbourne. There's already a sky blue in the a-league and with only ten teams having two just won't work very well. Also it will make Heart seem like an outpost of Man City rather than a Melbourne team. 

• Like 3

Well said...

We were nowhere near folding. The board had multiple offers before CFG came along

Yep we could have easily been bought by owners that wanted to keep the name and the colours. Financially Heart were doing okay which is partly why we did so shit on the field.

I've been reading through this forum for a while now with great interest and feel now it's my turn to add my 2c worth as a fan and member.

As a fan of the blue and white colours, Victory would have seemed a good fit for me based on that alone. However as much as I tried, I just could not buy into them emotionally - they were and are still not for me.

So when Melbourne Heart came along, I embraced them as my team. So along with my wife and children, who are all Heart members too, we get along to every home game at AAMI decked out in our red and white supporting our team.

Personally, I quite like wearing the red and white and my own opinion is I would rather keep it than change it to sky blue (f**k NSW) or purple or whatever.

However, it is not the end all for me. I support this team and cheer them on because they are my team and if they're colours and name changes, I will still support them and come to every game (probably still in my red and white kit!).

What really does sh1t me though is seeing some of the responses of people here and their real bias towards keeping the red and white.

If you really love the colours for what they are (just colours) and seeing them go is enough to make you leave, well then good bye and good luck with whoever you follow next.

However when you come on here and cry 'red and white forever', etc, etc, etc... proudly showing off your Olympiakos emblems, or Sunderland tops, or Polish or Cro flags or whatever, then seriously in my opinion, I have no time for you or your whinging about the possible change. Go back and think of the real reason you follow Melbourne Heart and don't try and hide behind the 'it's our city's colours' and 'it's our coat of arms' excuses that are so convenient here.

...and whilst on the city of Melbourne's coat of arms and flag subject, the thing I see when I first look at it is a great big Cross of St. George slap in the middle of it plus a couple of lions there too. Please correct my history if I am wrong, but I can't recall anywhere St. George slaying a dragon on the banks of the Yarra one day...

Just like our national flag, it's a reference right back to England, yet I bet no one here minds wearing green and gold for Australia, nor do they complain about it.... so really, what does the red and white mean for you?

So as I said before, I would love to keep the red and white, but regardless if we do or don't, I am still in and will be in - along with my family too, because they're the club we chose.

Bring on next season!!!

So, because some here have non heart related affinity with red and white that somehow invalidates their opinion on the matter?

I support Arsenal but my wish to keep the red and white has nothing to do with that, it's all to do with them being Melbourne's colours, the colour of my club and I don't want them to be forcibly removed.

• Like 3

The thing is, me and my little brother want to get into the A-League next season because we absolutely love the great game and we want to start going to games. We want to get our memberships for Melbourne Heart and support the club. The other thing is, we are passionate Man Utd fans. So if Melbourne Heart turns into a min Man City club then it will be very hard for us to support it. It will just be all too much for us. Growing up being a Man Utd fan, your pretty much born to hate Man City, so if I support this club will I be really supporting Man City? 
I don't mind with the fact that the owners of City have bought the club or 80% of it. I think it might be a good idea. Can revamp the club as a whole and get up to speed with everything. But I just don't know. Hope this message doesn't offend anyone, just want to get more info on this.

Thank you.

When I became a member I couldn't have cared less about the colours, just wanted to join the only club in Melbourne that appeared to stand for what I wanted. This was fulfilled and the club has become a part of my family. I now think the colours are brilliant and, despite the on field results, I'm proud to wear them. Will I be disappointed if they change? No, I will be devastated, mortified and hurt. Will I still go to matches? Absolutely. Love the game too much, love my new extended family to pieces - and there will still be only one team in Melbourne.

• Like 3

To be clear, I haven't voted, but if the name, crest and colours all change next season, then it probably won't feel like the club I've supported for over 4 years, and I may well not buy a membership next season. Also, Man City's disrespect and hypocrisy would be a key factor in me not buying a membership next season.

I might occasionally go to games, but it would be as a football fan, not necessarily as a club supporter.

It should be said that it's very hard to know if a club will or won't feel like your club, if it undergoes dramatic big changes. It's all so subjective, so it's very difficult to give a simple "in" or "out" answer, especially before any changes have been made.

Hopefully this uncertainty is put to rest soon enough, as it doesn't seem to be doing anyone any good.

• Like 1

Murf, I quite agree that it's not doing anyone any good.

My feeling is that this thread is not really only about the colours. I would say that the colours is just the presenting issue, and that behind that issue lies the catalogue of disappointments of the past four seasons. Mediocrity for S1 and S2, and failure for S3 and S4. One finals appearance in four seasons, the only time that the club has met an objective. We've never reached anything like an STH target, and the numbers have been inflated by limited-game STHs in any case. We can't fill AAMI Park even for home derbies - average 25,769 over four season - just under 86% of the stadium's capacity. I doubt that there are too many STHs who have not at some point or other asked themselves "Why am I doing this?" I know that for each of S3 and S4 I've thought long and hard about quitting Premium A for a lower grade. Towards the end of last season even our faithful Yarraside numbers were dropping. So I feel that we have encapsulated all our frustrations with Melbourne Heart in the colours issue.

I agree with you wholeheartedly (no pun) that all these "change" issues need to be resolved as quickly as possible so that people can get some clear air and move in whatever way that they are inclined to. I know that I will stick around, but I have every sympathy for those who are fed up with the delays and the silence and feel like walking away.

• Like 2

However, it is not the end all for me. I support this team and cheer them on because they are my team and if they're colours and name changes, I will still support them and come to every game (probably still in my red and white kit!).

Bring on next season!!!

So, because some here have non heart related affinity with red and white that somehow invalidates their opinion on the matter?

I support Arsenal but my wish to keep the red and white has nothing to do with that, it's all to do with them being Melbourne's colours, the colour of my club and I don't want them to be forcibly removed.

Dragon's aren't real.

Bring on next season!!!

Dragon's aren't real.

Sure they are

post-2906-0-00253900-1399526437_thumb.jp

Fark off Rass. Full stop

Sorry Heart of 'Olympiakos'... Oops, I meant Melbourne....

As I said, I'll be wearing my red and white Heart top to games next year even if our colours do change. Still wearing an Olympiakos top though, will show wear your heart really is hey....

Thing is I want every supporter to stay and my point is don't use the colours as a reason to leave. Of course people are passionate and that's great, but I don't think my post warranted such a response..  I apologise if I offended people who have invested so emotionally in our club, that was not my aim.

Fark off Rass. Full stop

As I said, I'll be wearing my red and white Heart top to games next year even if our colours do change. Still wearing an Olympiakos top though, will show wear your heart really is hey....

Thing is I want every supporter to stay and my point is don't use the colours as a reason to leave. Of course people are passionate and that's great, but I don't think my post warranted such a response..  I apologise if I offended people who have invested so emotionally in our club, that was not my aim.you are a dickhead... I apologise if I have offended you, that was not my aim.

Fark off Rass. Full stop

Thing is I want every supporter to stay and my point is don't use the colours as a reason to leave. Of course people are passionate and that's great, but I don't think my post warranted such a response..  I apologise if I offended people who have invested so emotionally in our club, that was not my aim.

We need a dislike button on this forum.

If you can't see why people would be upset with a name and colour change, effectively destroying the original club and establishing a new branch of an international conglomerate in its place then you are dead set as spastic as your posts would suggest.

Edit: Just thought I'd add, please feel free to go digging and find my real allegiance to the red and white to support your ridiculous argument that people can't have an attachment to Melbourne Heart's red and white.

Edited by loriente

Fark off Rass. Full stop

Thing is I want every supporter to stay and my point is don't use the colours as a reason to leave. Of course people are passionate and that's great, but I don't think my post warranted such a response..  I apologise if I offended people who have invested so emotionally in our club, that was not my aim.you are a dickhead... I apologise if I have offended you, that was not my aim.

Not necessary I don't reckon, remember this is the heart forum not victory forum.

Rass people connect with the club for many different reasons, each personal. A lot of people feel that with the colour change that is the last peice of any connection we supporters would have with melbourne heart. This has been spoken about a million times already but I never joined because of success, clearly none of us did as we have never been successful. I have to assume that because you are so easily willing to switch you are not so emotionally attached to the club. That there is the reason why people are upset and your not. I understand you want people to stay but there is no obligation to stay once everything has changed and the new club has zero relation to the previous club.

• Like 4

Fark off Rass. Full stop

Thing is I want every supporter to stay and my point is don't use the colours as a reason to leave. Of course people are passionate and that's great, but I don't think my post warranted such a response.. I apologise if I offended people who have invested so emotionally in our club, that was not my aim.you are a dickhead... I apologise if I have offended you, that was not my aim. Not necessary I don't reckon, remember this is the heart forum not victory forum.

Rass people connect with the club for many different reasons, each personal. A lot of people feel that with the colour change that is the last peice of any connection we supporters would have with melbourne heart. This has been spoken about a million times already but I never joined because of success, clearly none of us did as we have never been successful. I have to assume that because you are so easily willing to switch you are not so emotionally attached to the club. That there is the reason why people are upset and your not. I understand you want people to stay but there is no obligation to stay once everything has changed and the new club has zero relation to the previous club.

Niko, thank you for your clarification and your thoughts on this. It's nice to be disagreed with without being called a dickhead or spastic or whatever. That I won't take just because I have viewed a differing opinion.

As I said in my original post, I want the red and white to stay. But if it happens, i will accept it.

Thing is, I take young children with me to the games. So I can't sit in the middle of Yarraside or wherever and experience (or understand) the emotion some of you guys have and where it lies. I have my own emotional attachment to Melbourne Heart though and that will stay.

Edited by rass

Fark off Rass. Full stop

Thing is I want every supporter to stay and my point is don't use the colours as a reason to leave. Of course people are passionate and that's great, but I don't think my post warranted such a response..  I apologise if I offended people who have invested so emotionally in our club, that was not my aim. you are a dickhead... I apologise if I have offended you, that was not my aim.

Not necessary I don't reckon, remember this is the heart forum not victory forum.

Niko, thank you for your clarification and your thoughts on this. It's nice to be disagreed with without being called a dickhead or spastic or whatever. That I won't take just because I have viewed a differing opinion.

As I said in my original post, I want the red and white to stay. But if it happens, i will accept it.

Thing is, I take two young children with me to the games. So I can't sit in the middle of Yarraside and experience (or understand) the emotion some of you guys have and where it lies. I have my own emotional attachment to Melbourne Heart though and that will stay.

Im not Yarraside I'm just a passionate reserve A member. Yarraside have invested far more time and effort than I ever have and understandably are even more passionate because of the time and effort they've put in. What's irks people and maybe even befuddles them is that you seem to have an emotional indifference to the colour change which happens to be the last connection that we have to the club we first supported.

• Like 1

Some have such a simplistic view on the changes to the club's identity. I'm not even going to be bothered with discussing it further.

So good luck to Anyone content with new name, logo, identity, ownership and colours.

Hey maybe you prefer to play at etihad too.

• Like 1

I think now might be an opportune time to pause. Many positions have been expressed, and at the end of the day none of them are incorrect. We should just hold off until the announcements are made.Then and only then can people really make a statement, for now we are discussing decisions on speculation. Just my thought.

• Like 6

IMO I don't think we will change colours, I think they will just add sky blue somewhere on the home kit most likely the badge and give us a sky blue away kit which we might wear 5 times in the season. And has anyone seen that NYCFC badge has a red line around it?

• Like 1

IMO I don't think we will change colours, I think they will just add sky blue somewhere on the home kit most likely the badge and give us a sky blue away kit which we might wear 5 times in the season. And has anyone seen that NYCFC badge has a red line around it?

It's orange as a tribute to the city's flag.