Melbourne Football

AFC Asian Cup 2015

Nate

I was at that game. Started with a few people chanting for North Korea and at the end of the game there were about 100 in that corner. Security barred people from joining them as more and more people wanted to join in. I thought it was quite funny to be honest.

But l think l would rather see that group chanting for Australia. Probably a good idea for the next set of games as a shit stir.

I was at that game. Started with a few people chanting for North Korea and at the end of the game there were about 100 in that corner. Security barred people from joining them as more and more people wanted to join in. I thought it was quite funny to be honest.

But l think l would rather see that group chanting for Australia. Probably a good idea for the next set of games as a shit stir.

As a neutral I enjoyed every minute of last night's game. It had everything - some nice football, plenty of goals, unbelievable misses, a couple of superb saves at either end, including the Korean GK's penalty save and the ball hitting the inside of both posts before being poked in. Bit of noise from the Saudi fans, and the neutrals cheering for everybody.

IMO the only blemish was some activities of security and police. Seemed to be on a super-sensitive alert level for a few young Saudis waving flags and cheering on their team. Completely over the top IMO. FFS let people enjoy themselves.

I agree jw1379! I think they (security/police) would much rather supress us and behave like boring AFL fans. Football is all about atmosphere and once the crowd gets involved security/police crack a spaz and make a scene out of nothing. Once that active group formed half a dozen security surrounded them along with four police.

Imagine this....

A fairly big group of Australians holding Norh Korean flags above their heads, singing and chanting Kim Jong-un chants to the tune of an American Civil War song while doing a Polish inspired Poznan  :droy:  :droy:  :droy:  :droy:  :droy:  :droy:

I was sitting about 10 rows in front of them and was actually considering moving up into those seats before those clowns moved there.

It was probably the saddest thing I've even seen at a football match in Aus and that's saying something. There was quite obviously a decent number of NT hang ons too, noticeable by the horrible "clobber" and the fact that nearly every chant was a victory song rip off. "The North Korea" North Face shirts were a particular highlight  :lowy: 

Was well over 100 people on the corner by the end, I'd guess around 250. Probably louder than most A League/Socceroos terraces I've seen too tbf (which says something about the culture here when people will chant louder ironically or trying to be funny than for a team they are supposedly passionate about).

The cops/ACG's trying to deal with it was pretty hilarious though, started with a couple of ACG going up there before disappearing and coming back with around a dozen or so before leaving again and coming back 5 minutes later. 

And I'm pretty sure they never actually stopped people going up there, people were still going up their in the last few minutes when the cops/ACG were surrounding the bay. I was sitting right on the Aisle too and was getting sick of cunts constantly walking past.

As a neutral I enjoyed every minute of last night's game. It had everything - some nice football, plenty of goals, unbelievable misses, a couple of superb saves at either end, including the Korean GK's penalty save and the ball hitting the inside of both posts before being poked in. Bit of noise from the Saudi fans, and the neutrals cheering for everybody.

IMO the only blemish was some activities of security and police. Seemed to be on a super-sensitive alert level for a few young Saudis waving flags and cheering on their team. Completely over the top IMO. FFS let people enjoy themselves.

I reckon its this country JW.  Does my head in.

A couple of things:

• They cracked down on every thing that might have been thought of as "atmosphere" at the AFL, to the point that now crowds in Melbourne are actually dropping.
  • Gone spacker at the cricket, where they seem to think a beach ball is some form of dangerous weapon and throw people out for stuff that is purely rubbish.

As a final comment on that I shake my head at heart games when we have seemingly are 50 coppers and security watching a few young blokes cheer for the side and some families sit down and watch a football game.  FFS.  I want a refund on my tax.

Oh on North Korea, don't want to be a kill joy but i think the situation there is far too serious to pretend to support them, even in jest.  Kim Jong Un is a nuclear armed evil dictator who is starving his people and is completely and utterly ruthless (just ask his uncle).  I see it as pretty much in the same vain as pretending to support Nazi Germany.

• Like 6

"

Oh on North Korea, don't want to be a kill joy but i think the situation there is far too serious to pretend to support them, even in jest.  Kim Jong Un is a nuclear armed evil dictator who is starving his people and is completely and utterly ruthless (just ask his uncle).  I see it as pretty much in the same vain as pretending to support Nazi Germany."

On a half related note, my dad made the comment as to why North Korea who are so opposed to the modern world (and have such terrible issues in the treatment of their people) are allowed to compete in such tournaments yet South Africa was boycotted for years and could never be apart of world tournaments due to apartheid.   The double standards are real.

Edited by True Until I die

"

Oh on North Korea, don't want to be a kill joy but i think the situation there is far too serious to pretend to support them, even in jest.  Kim Jong Un is a nuclear armed evil dictator who is starving his people and is completely and utterly ruthless (just ask his uncle).  I see it as pretty much in the same vain as pretending to support Nazi Germany."

On a half related note, my dad made the comment as to why North Korea who are so opposed to the modern world (and have such terrible issues in the treatment of their people) are allowed to compete in such tournaments yet South Africa was boycotted for years and could never be apart of world tournaments due to apartheid.   The double standards are real.

If you were going to disallow countries based on the concept of "oppressive regimes" somewhere between 12-20 countries would be barred from taking part in world events. And North Korea would not be the only Asian country on that list.* And carrying the argument further you should by rights also ban individual sportspeople from the same list of countries.

* Looking at one list I have, all four of the countries in Group B of this year's Asian Cup would not be competing...

Edited by jw1739
  • Like 2

How the fuck has there been no draws in this tournament yet, despite so many low scoring games and negative tactics?

Looks like China will be the overachievers in this tournament. To be honest it's been a pretty predictable tournament with China's win over Uzbekistan being the only result I can think of where the favourite didn't win (am I missing any?) and that was hardly a massive surprise as the Uzbeks would have only been slight favourites.

How the fuck has there been no draws in this tournament yet, despite so many low scoring games and negative tactics?

Looks like China will be the overachievers in this tournament. To be honest it's been a pretty predictable tournament with China's win over Uzbekistan being the only result I can think of where the favourite didn't win (am I missing any?) and that was hardly a massive surprise as the Uzbeks would have only been slight favourites.

Good call, didn't even pick up on this. 

I have a feeling our game against South Korea might be a draw so that could well be the first one. 

Huge game tomorrow night.....Uzbekistan v Saudi Arabia. The winner goes through to the quarters.

Given that Saudi Arabia is basically the lowest country on the planet, I hope they lose 10-0 :up:

People previously ITT saying no one should support North Korea, North Korea shouldn't be allowed to participate, etc., Saudi Arabia is a far worse country. At least North Korea deliver us some entertainment with their crazy antics :up:

Edited by Tesla
  • Like 2

Huge game tomorrow night.....Uzbekistan v Saudi Arabia. The winner goes through to the quarters.

Given that Saudi Arabia is basically the lowest country on the planet, I hope they lose 10-0 :up:People previously ITT saying no one should support North Korea, North Korea shouldn't be allowed to participate, etc., Saudi Arabia is a far worse country. At least North Korea deliver us some entertainment with their crazy antics :up:

Kim Jong-un > King Abdullah bin Abd al-‘Aziz Al Saud