Melbourne Football

AFC Asian Cup 2015

Nate

Aw man, I'd love to go to Japan! Finland would probably be better for studying abroad though, their education system is near flawless.

I adore Japan, but yes, Finland's education system is near perfect. don't you get paid to study?

Aw man, I'd love to go to Japan! Finland would probably be better for studying abroad though, their education system is near flawless.

I adore Japan, but yes, Finland's education system is near perfect. don't you get paid to study?

I believe there is a similar system to here where students get paid by centrelink (Obviously depending on the course) The Nordic countries do love their 'welfare-state' status after all. Education in all those countries (Sweden, Finland, Norway, Iceland and Denmark) is completely free and students are provided with food and necessities. Anyway, this has gotten really off-track haha!

Bought Melbourne pack today. What bay are others in that have done the same?

15, row g

Yesterday afternoon. Category 3 16L. The other option they were offering was 18M. Much of a muchness. We may not manage to get to every match, so I'm happy being behind the goal on this occasion.

• 1 month later...

I am looking forward to this, although due to my ethnic backround I am less inclined to see the majority of the Melbourne games which feature west Asian nations such as Iran,  Saudi Arabia, Palestine and Jordan. Its a shame but its the way it is. Im hoping to get to  the Aussie games in Melbourne though. btw how does someone buy a ticket in 'active support'?

EDIT: just seen you can purchase active support for the first game, but it doesn't look like you can for the quarter final

Edited by True Until I die

due to my ethnic backround I am less inclined to see the majority of the Melbourne games which feature west Asian nations such as Iran, Saudi Arabia, Palestine and Jordan. Its a shame but its the way it is

Can you futher elaborate on this? I'm quite curious.

• 2 weeks later...

Can do Jimmy, drop me a pm.

I have just purchased tickets for opening game, in active support bay 38 row JJ, does anyone know just how high up that is?

I didn't want to risk getting crappy seats in the unofficial area of bay 37 however knowing my luck I could probably have waited and got near front row seats in bay 39. anyone else near this section.

• 4 weeks later...

I still can't believe people freak out over the FIFA rankings.

They don't rank the best teams in the world, they rank the best performing team over the past 4 years.

I know, I was highlighting just how wrong they are and that it's ridiculous that they're used to allocate teams into pots in major tournaments. 

Teams that get results will move up the rankings, and those that don't won't.

The only problem with the FIFA rankings is it's not balanced accross continents, so countries from certain continents will rank higher than they should.

When comparing teams in the same continent, it's pretty good. Australia is the 8th best team in Asia. That's a fact based on our results. We have a record of 0-1-5 in 2014. Oman and Jordan are better than us. Deal with it.

The real problem is, people seem to think what a team looks like on paper matters, when it really doesn't.

Edited by Tesla
  • Like 4

• 3 months later...

So the ABC are showing the Asian Cup, wonder who they'll get to do the commentary, I hope Francis Leach gets a run.

They will also cover tonights games against Japan so I suppose we will get a taste of how they will cover the tournament.

and ABC, if you find this, please keep this bloke well away from the coverage...

peter-wilkins-data.jpg

Edit: Just a little bit of insight into this man's insight prior to the WC this year for those that may have missed it. 

Peter Wilkins of ABC was the man to incur Postecoglou's glower-heavy brand of quiet wrath on Wednesday by pushing hard to know why Mark Schwarzer hadn't been 'recalled' following his impressive late-season cameo at Chelsea. 

"He's retired," was the emphatic response, delivered with an ironic smirk which descended into an impatient dismissal as the question came back a second time. Wilkins' crime was to misphrase his enquiry, which should have been about sounding out Schwarzer over a possible reversal of his decision, a perfectly valid query which deserved a full response.

Edited by Cinnamon

Yeah I got that email, was just curious as to whether they'd started dishing them out yet. 

Actually super excited for this tournament, I've never watched the Socceroos live before so that'll be sweet. There's a few tasty looking clashes in Melbourne too which I'll try and get down to.

Yeah I got that email, was just curious as to whether they'd started dishing them out yet.

Actually super excited for this tournament, I've never watched the Socceroos live before so that'll be sweet. There's a few tasty looking clashes in Melbourne too which I'll try and get down to.

Well you've waited for the right time if you didn't want to travel to see them, they've only ever played on AFL/Cricket grounds that I can recall when playing in Melbourne prior to this. Edited by Cinnamon

• 1 month later...

Playing surfaces are an embarrassment. Newcastle is a sandpit that needs another few months and Brisbane looks worse than my backyard, so patchy.

Unbelievably poor, especially considering we'll be in the spotlight on the world stage. 

Conspiracy theory incoming, we're going to play the long ball all tournament so we're ruining the pitches to give ourselves an advantage over the aerially inept nations of Asia :up:  

Playing surfaces are an embarrassment. Newcastle is a sandpit that needs another few months and Brisbane looks worse than my backyard, so patchy.

Unbelievably poor, especially considering we'll be in the spotlight on the world stage. 

Conspiracy theory incoming, we're going to play the long ball all tournament so we're ruining the pitches to give ourselves an advantage over the aerially inept nations of Asia :up:

How is that a conspiracy? That's called tactics.

• Like 1

Could be tactics, could also be incompetent pitch maintenance. 

Either way, it's a monumental opportunity missed if we don't win this tournament as all of the conditions completely work in our favour. That is of course, disregarding our sub-standard squad that's been selected.

Either way, it's a monumental opportunity missed if we don't win this tournament as all of the conditions completely work in our favour. That is of course, disregarding our sub-standard squad that's been selected.

Nate, do you really think our squad is sub standard?

Nate, do you really think our squad is sub standard?

Compared to some of the other nations, yes I do.