Melbourne Football

Ideas for Improving Yarraside for Season 2014/15

GabiBoyd

The problem isn't just the capo, but also the chemistry he has with the drummer. I don't mean to come across as some pretentious musical genius, but the drumming has been below par for some time now. It's such an integral part of the terrace in keeping up with the tune, holding the tune etc, and is perhaps one of a number of reasons why y-side isn't fulfilling it's full potential. It's literally the heartbeat of the terrace. Really don't think we've had anyone decent on the drums since engin, I'm not having a crack at the current drummers, I for one appreciate the work and effort you put in, but we need better.

In regards to the capo, you can't really implement a system of rotation unless the current singular capo system is changed, it's a position where stability is key. I don't even think we've even had the same capo for more than a season, the longest iirc being Ando. The solution of the cadre system was toyed with I think shortly after season one, I believe this is the direction that needs to be taken to rectify some of the longstanding issues. Ideally 3-4 committed lads, preferably a mix between both young and old, with each giving 100% on their time on the mega, whilst the others support them both verbally and physically when not on the mega, dividing the time between themselves. This eliminates the problem of capoless y-side, allows the blooding of future capo's without too much pressure, and the cadre groups themselves won't put up with the same shit a singular capo sometimes puts up with.

Also the trumpet has been a welcome, refreshing addition.

My 2 cents.

10/10 post.

Put my hand up for a cadre (not capo) position alongside COYBIR next yr.

- on the proviso that our chants are completely overhauled next session

- and many more flags and two sticks are added to the terrace

- the capo and each cadre has milk crate or something of equal function

I've always associated the capo as being intimidating and 'standing over' the terrace. If he isn't seen, then he isn't heard in the same voice.

Also, it would be worth moving the cadres, trumpets and drums to the 2nd row once more to see how that works. Tbf it's never been given a fair crack - and it is common amongst terraces across the world to be led by the front (capo, drums, instruments).

Let's bring the fuckin noise and colour back.

TBH this sounds like a good project for KGB... the group spending a day making some flags etc to signify the groups offical move from Youth Group into Adulthood.

Edit - I am not having a go... in fact I will come along and help.

Edited by cadete
  • Like 1

Question, do people feel more comfortable/engaged waving flags rather than holding up two sticks? from personal experiences it looks more lively in the bays with flags being waved and its more enjoyable as well waving rather holding up something.

this can also assist with both people (with visuals and those who don't have them). while waving the flag it still allows the people behind to get glimpses of the match compared to 2-sticks so there wouldn't be much complaining or discouragement from wankers who want to see the game and chant at the same time. ---> people would also be holding up/waving the flags more compared to 2-sticks

Edited by Young Polak
  • Like 1

Question, do people feel more comfortable/engaged waving flags rather than holding up two sticks? from personal experiences it looks more lively in the bays with flags being waved and its more enjoyable as well waving rather holding up something.

this can also assist with both people (with visuals and those who don't have them). while waving the flag it still allows the people behind to get glimpses of the match compared to 2-sticks so there wouldn't be much complaining or discouragement from wankers who want to see the game and chant at the same time. ---> people would also be holding up/waving the flags more compared to 2-sticks

Personally I prefer flags and I think we have needed some large patterned flags for a very long time.

• Like 2

Love this thread, great stuff!

Just putting it out there, I'm pretty keen to get involved and help out. I'm not really up to being a Capo, but am keen to be involved with the group supporting them. I don't really have any particular talents apart from being a mental case who loves to make noise and encourage others to do the same.

In regards to the flag vs two-stick question, I couldn't count the amount of times I've seen specials abuse someone (usually a young lad just trying to help out) for holding up a two-stick and blocking their precious view, this probably affects people's comfort. As has been pointed out a few times I think we need to make the expectations of people in the Active Area perfectly clear. If you don't like having your view obstructed then move somewhere else because it's going to happen.

Just on the people starting their own chant thing, I'm personally cool with it, occasionally someone in the terrace will belt out something brilliant/absolutely hilarious, and in my opinion that's a good thing. When I start to get annoyed is when you get the same 5 blokes trying to get "We hate Victory" going every 5 minutes despite no-one wanting a bar of it.

Edited by King Malta
  • Like 1

I might have missed this slightly, but does the "cadre" concept consider a second person standing in Bay 17 to assist the capo?

If this is right, could cadres be put in Bays 16 and 18 to coordinate the chants? This would probably require maybe a chant order or event a walkie talkie or could just involve a chat before the match. I know that it would help keep the sides in time with Bay 17 and may also encourage more involvement, particularly given that if the megaphone points left, the right side miss the timing. This concept might also assist the development of the core Capo group should a fill-in be required a short notice. 

The main thing coming out of this for me is the expectations of being an active supporter, so I 100% endorse the idea of the capo giving everyone in the active bays a pre-game address every week on what's required and expected of supporters - chanting, clapping, holding flags/banners etc.

I don't know whether it's a culture thing or some people just genuinely aren't aware of active support protocols but there just isn't enough involvement. More often than not, I go home with a destroyed voicebox whilst there are some who just sit silently which just isn't right.

Great thread though, glad some of these issues are being addressed.

• Like 1

The problem isn't just the capo, but also the chemistry he has with the drummer. I don't mean to come across as some pretentious musical genius, but the drumming has been below par for some time now. It's such an integral part of the terrace in keeping up with the tune, holding the tune etc, and is perhaps one of a number of reasons why y-side isn't fulfilling it's full potential. It's literally the heartbeat of the terrace. Really don't think we've had anyone decent on the drums since engin, I'm not having a crack at the current drummers, I for one appreciate the work and effort you put in, but we need better.

In regards to the capo, you can't really implement a system of rotation unless the current singular capo system is changed, it's a position where stability is key. I don't even think we've even had the same capo for more than a season, the longest iirc being Ando. The solution of the cadre system was toyed with I think shortly after season one, I believe this is the direction that needs to be taken to rectify some of the longstanding issues. Ideally 3-4 committed lads, preferably a mix between both young and old, with each giving 100% on their time on the mega, whilst the others support them both verbally and physically when not on the mega, dividing the time between themselves. This eliminates the problem of capoless y-side, allows the blooding of future capo's without too much pressure, and the cadre groups themselves won't put up with the same shit a singular capo sometimes puts up with.

My 2 cents.

10/10 post.

I've always associated the capo as being intimidating and 'standing over' the terrace. If he isn't seen, then he isn't heard in the same voice.

Also, it would be worth moving the cadres, trumpets and drums to the 2nd row once more to see how that works. Tbf it's never been given a fair crack - and it is common amongst terraces across the world to be led by the front (capo, drums, instruments).

Let's bring the fuckin noise and colour back.

TBH this sounds like a good project for KGB... the group spending a day making some flags etc to signify the groups offical move from Youth Group into Adulthood.

The difference here being KGB doesn't hand around a tin at games for funds to do this.

We are all hard pressed paying for $200< away trips.

That said, a lot of us would be happy to come paint at an organised day as these days have usually turned out to be fun and rewarding.

But you're right on that we should be doing more creative stuff and this will probably change in the lead up to next season.

Edited by marteaux
  • Like 1

I doubt alot of the more passsive chanting/clapping folks really think or know they're being frowned upon.

Theres clearly alot of fellas that want to stand to watch the match but aren't sold on the 'ultra' style of support. Ideally we wouldnt want to alienate these folks. Should be tactfully encouraged to other areas (16+18?) in any pre match address instead of being told to GTFO of active/yarraside for not giving their all. A message from teh core explaining these expectations with links to this here forum attached to chant sheets would really help also. Posting expectations on this forum is great, but I'd guess 5% of the intended audience would read these forums presently.

I remember the march from round one where we stopped and were warned not to pull seats at etihad as Heart would have to foot the bill. The result was fantastic.
Core really need to flex their muscles a bit more as people generally respond well to them.

My 2 cents.

10/10 post.

Let's bring the fuckin noise and colour back. TBH this sounds like a good project for KGB... the group spending a day making some flags etc to signify the groups offical move from Youth Group into Adulthood.

The difference here being KGB doesn't hand around a tin at games for funds to do this.

We are all hard pressed paying for $200< away trips.

That said, a lot of us would be happy to come paint at an organised day as these days have usually turned out to be fun and rewarding.

But you're right on that we should be doing more creative stuff and this will probably change in the lead up to next season.

I am pretty sure you would recieve some Core funding for the day...

Either way we need to organise something in a good space/decent amount of PPL to fix the Visuals going on in Yarraside

Edited by cadete

Happy to also help out on drums every now and again or as a back up having played for 5 years through high school.

In summary as everyone has said we need:

The capo to set expectations for active support at the start of the game, get everyone motivated and fired up.

A money tin to be sent around every game, it seems people are more than willing to donate.

A group of 3-4 capos who can act as back up and spread themselves around yarraside to encourage chanting.

I think chant sheets should be handed out every game. It can't be that expensive and isn't too much effort, and a lot of people here are putting their hand up to help. On the chant sheets have a few sentences explaining that as being a part of an active area you are expected to be active and your view may be obstructed. Then there is no excuse for some special flog having a go at someone for obstructing their view as that person can point them in the direction of the sheet and say tough shit.

Core to contact the club about the possibility of a capo stand at the front of yarraside?

• Like 1

On a serious note,

I think it is silly to comment saying that "the capo shouldn't be changed every week", this would be ludicrous. However, perhaps 2 or 3 people could take the role on over the season, rather than 1 person for every single match. And as someone else mentioned, there's no reason why there should only be 1 and 1 only every week. Something to trial for sure.

I have also often thought to myself, how long does the average chant go for? and how many unique chants would we need to have a natural, crowd lead, flow of chants that would last the entire 90 without repetition (unless crowd sourced) and without a loss of enthusiasm.

Not to say that there needs to be a "chant schedule", but having more or less a game plan for the structure each week could help. I know of many occasions where the question has been asked "what's next?".

Also, we have acquired a THIRD Trumpet, it was donated recently. It needs a bit of TLC and I hope to have it in good working order by next seasons start... Who's keen?

If you are desperate for a third i can step in, did play it for 6 years but have barely played it in the past 6 years but am willing to get back into if a need is required. 

On a serious note,

I think it is silly to comment saying that "the capo shouldn't be changed every week", this would be ludicrous. However, perhaps 2 or 3 people could take the role on over the season, rather than 1 person for every single match. And as someone else mentioned, there's no reason why there should only be 1 and 1 only every week. Something to trial for sure.

I have also often thought to myself, how long does the average chant go for? and how many unique chants would we need to have a natural, crowd lead, flow of chants that would last the entire 90 without repetition (unless crowd sourced) and without a loss of enthusiasm.

Not to say that there needs to be a "chant schedule", but having more or less a game plan for the structure each week could help. I know of many occasions where the question has been asked "what's next?".

Also, we have acquired a THIRD Trumpet, it was donated recently. It needs a bit of TLC and I hope to have it in good working order by next seasons start... Who's keen?

If you are desperate for a third i can step in, did play it for 6 years but have barely played it in the past 6 years but am willing to get back into if a need is required.

It is not required, it is for the person who wants to do it.

Chant sheets are a must, I will steal paper from uni if that what it takes.

This will definitely help a lot of the newer members and younger people get involved. This chant sheet that I made worked well integrating physical chant sheet to the app.

The problem I had was getting approval for chant of the week etc.

bit.ly/ysidechants

We've said it before too, but the yside apps need better audio.

Edited by alexiano

I have an idea for next season.

I watched a bit of Portland Timbers games in the past and noticed that they use smoke machines whenever they score a goal.

Their kind replicates how a pyro goes off and I thought these machines could be used at our game(knowing that roar uses flames and ccm use a cannon)

Thought this would keep the atmosphere going and discourages people to bring their own flares to games (or maybe not?)

Well if it discourages them we won't have to deal with innocent people getting nicked or bad media coverage. also keeping the FFA happy with club behavior and no possible punishments to be used. I'm not sure if the smoke from machines would be more health-friendly compared to smokies or flares.

If people like the idea, would this have to come out of yarraside funds if people try to go ahead with it or would it be possible to negotiate with the club for them to purchase the equipment, arguing that clubs like roar or mariners have their celebration equipment funded by the club (surely?...)

Edited by Young Polak

I watched a bit of Portland Timbers games in the past and noticed that they use smoke machines whenever they score a goal.

Their kind replicates how a pyro goes off and I thought these machines could be used at our game(knowing that roar uses flames and ccm use a cannon)

Thought this would keep the atmosphere going and discourages people to bring their own flares to games (or maybe not?)

Well if it discourages them we won't have to deal with innocent people getting nicked or bad media coverage. also keeping the FFA happy with club behavior and no possible punishments to be used. I'm not sure if the smoke from machines would be more health-friendly compared to smokies or flares.

If people like the idea, would this have to come out of yarraside funds if people try to go ahead with it or would it be possible to negotiate with the club for them to purchase the equipment, arguing that clubs like roar or mariners have their celebration equipment funded by the club (surely?...)

Nope

EDIT: the day we start modelling ourselves on MLS support is the day Yarraside dies.

Edited by marteaux
  • Like 1

That`s a good idea too use smoke machines.

I`ve been to a few Feyenoord games and it looks fantastic.Seeing the home end covered in smoke as the players come out.

Trying to convince the club to pay for it would be hard though.

• 2 weeks later...

I hate to be that guy, but last night along with other games this season have indicated (to me anyway) that we need to retire/refresh a few of our chants. 

Probably going to be a bit of a villain here but one's that are rarely ever sung with any real passion or noise include:

- Melbourne, I'm in Love

- We are Hearts FC

- I Just Can't Get Enough

- The Vincenza? (the call and response one)

Just an observation.

• Like 3

Ideas for improving Yarraside: Get rid of Yarraside

Good attitude mate. Really constructive.

New chants are a must though. Need about 10-15 new ones.

Don't think we should scrap any chants, however use them a lot less regularly to salvage them.

1. Drumming to just can't get enough is wrong

2. Capo needs to select more appropriate chants (we are Melbourne, after the other team misses a penalty?)

3. Need new drums

4. New flags

5. More sticky tape

Let the cleansing of Yarraside begin

Lets start with banishing the fat piece of lard John aka Cadet aka the one with the mighty neck beard

Who the fuck is this illiterate Nobody?

You obviously know who I am despite me having no idea who you are so say something to my face you coward or STFU.

• Like 1

Don't think we should scrap any chants, however use them a lot less regularly to salvage them.

2. Capo needs to select more appropriate chants (we are Melbourne, after the other team misses a penalty?)

3. Need new drums

4. New flags

5. More sticky tape

It will be better if a new terrace is born for Melbourne City.

Why would the Yarraside want to associate with the sky blue Melbourne team that they fought so hard against to keep red and white?

New terrace should be limited to people over the age of 16 and those with an IQ of at least 80. 

I agree with what you are saying though, Capo needs to be a lot less of a flog. 

The Yarraside in general has become a huge flogfest over the past few years. 

The face of Heart:

428374_154595038024518_135303000_n.jpg

The face of Wanderers:

Wanderers-20131231100937650022-620x349.j

Both are a complete shitstain upon the A-League in my opinion. 

But for me, the support of WSW and dare I say - Victory - deserves a lot more credibility and respect in terms of terrace support.

We are quite literally run by 15 year olds who have watched Green Street Hooligans a little more than once and have little to no idea about the real underlying passion behind Football.

Half you spudmuffins are more worried about your brand new homo-erotic clothing than SUPPORTING the club.

Inb4 ban - my opinion. Deal with it.

I'm sure many agree.

Don't fight it, let the cleansing begin.

• Like 1

3. Need new drums

4. New flags

5. More sticky tape

Why would the Yarraside want to associate with the sky blue Melbourne team that they fought so hard against to keep red and white?

New terrace should be limited to people over the age of 16 and those with an IQ of at least 80. 

The face of Heart:

The face of Wanderers:

But for me, the support of WSW and dare I say - Victory - deserves a lot more credibility and respect in terms of terrace support.

We are quite literally run by 15 year olds who have watched Green Street Hooligans a little more than once and have little to no idea about the real underlying passion behind Football.

Half you spudmuffins are more worried about your brand new homo-erotic clothing than SUPPORTING the club.

I'm sure many agree.

You obviously don't know the YS Core, mate.

I haven't been involved with YS for a while, but I know the guys who run it, and can assure you they support the club thoroughly.

Also, the KTRW campaign was not a Yarraside campaign.

It was an initiative by a mix of all MHFC fans, and if people chose to support it, it would be on behalf of themselves as individuals, not Yarraside as a whole.

EDIT: But I do agree that changes need to be made to create a better atmosphere.

Edited by Baresi

3. Need new drums

4. New flags

5. More sticky tape

The face of Heart:

The face of Wanderers:

I'm sure many agree.

You should voice your opinion to these lads in person, not over the internet.

3. Need new drums

4. New flags

5. More sticky tape

The face of Heart:428374_154595038024518_135303000_n.jpg

The face of Wanderers:Wanderers-20131231100937650022-620x349.j

I'm sure many agree.

You should voice your opinion to these lads in person, not over the internet. But if he does it over the Internet nobody has an idea who he is... :up: