Melbourne Football

Ideas for Improving Yarraside for Season 2014/15

GabiBoyd

Some great ideas there.

First thing I will say is there needs to be a greater understanding between the club and Yarraside needs to be established so that the club can also play their part in enforcing the correct culture within the active section, but I'll get to that later.

On Yarraside itself:

1. Chanting

-As you mentioned all members part of active must be standing for 90 minutes, singing for 90 minutes.

-In saying that there should be no singing prior to kick off for a couple of reasons 1. The team isn't playing therefore don't need supporting chants prior to kickoff 2. Pre game music more often than not kills off any noise made by chanting 3. No point wasting energy for these reasons.

-During the 90 minutes only one thing matters and that is to be singing as one for the remainder of the 90 minutes. Win or lose a culture within the group needs to be established that no matter the score or situation Yarraside does not stop singing and supporting. Makes a hell of a difference players on the pitch and crowd atmosphere and there is nothing more respected within supporter groups.

-LISTEN TO THE CAPO AND FOLLOW. Don't clap unless you have been directed to to clap. Don't start your own chants.

-chants repertoire has shrunk due to players moving on. One of the reasons why player chants are not good. Personally have never liked player chants, the club is what we support, players come and go, and the club and team is bigger than any individual. For me a very important message.

-chanting to be more systematic. Basically a schedule for the whole game for the capo to follow. Means there is no down time between chants thinking of another one and it also means the whole supporter group week by week gets used to a set format. Much easier for them to learn chants.

2. Choreography

-As an active member you must be willing to hold up banners, flags or any other supporter material if required. And you have to accept that there may be parts of the game you miss in order to do this for support for your club.

-all flags, banners etc must be given permission by the capo or those responsible for the running of the group before they are brought in to the game.

-this is all about money. It costs to have tifos etc. perhaps besides donation, Yarraside can produce shirts etc things to sell and liase with the club for them to be sold at games.

Yarraside and Melbourne Heart

With greater cooperation between the two Yarraside can establish a greater atmosphere at games.

-make sure the club understands and accepts the type of atmosphere Yarraside is trying to create

-the club should explain to potential members in detail what it means to take up active membership eg. Standing chanting banners etc.

I've got other suggestions but don't have time to do them now. Great idea none the less to brainstorm ways to make Yarraside better. I think there is a huge potential for improvement.

Niko, the only thing I'd say is that the club already have a solid relationship with Yarraside.  They perfectly understand the atmosphere we're trying to create because they've given Yarraside as an entity the responsibility of providing that atmosphere.  I don't think the problem is there, although I agree that the club should definitely do more when selling Active memberships to outline exactly what is expected from the purchase of such a ticket.

• Like 1

Niko, the only thing I'd say is that the club already have a solid relationship with Yarraside.  They perfectly understand the atmosphere we're trying to create because they've given Yarraside as an entity the responsibility of providing that atmosphere.  I don't think the problem is there, although I agree that the club should definitely do more when selling Active memberships to outline exactly what is expected from the purchase of such a ticket.

I agree to an extent with the majority of the points you've made above. But in regards to the Capo; we struggle to have even have a single person, let a lone multiple people putting their hands up. So to plan for a rotating roster of different Yside members is a tall ask. Definitely sounds like a great idea in theory, but just not reliable or in anyway achievable going by the looks of the last few games.

I'm sure MTP will carry on the role, it was just yesterday he couldn't due to personal reasons.

Edited by Hackett

1. Chanting

-In saying that there should be no singing prior to kick off for a couple of reasons 1. The team isn't playing therefore don't need supporting chants prior to kickoff 2. Pre game music more often than not kills off any noise made by chanting 3. No point wasting energy for these reasons.

Maybe have a chat to MHFC and get them to turn off the music 5 mins before kickoff.  Id rather listen to crowd made atmosphere than music (including that horrid club song - which isnt working as expected) 

I agree to an extent with the majority of the points you've made above. But in regards to the Capo; we struggle to have even have a single person, let a lone multiple people putting their hands up. So to plan for a rotating roster of different Yside members is a tall ask. Definitely sounds like a great idea in theory, but just not reliable or in anyway achievable going by the looks of the last few games.

I'm sure MTP will carry on the role, it was just yesterday he couldn't due to personal reasons.

With the greatest respect to you, Hackett, to the rest of the Core, and to MTP who I think does a great job every week, I think that we might find many more people willing to put their hands up if we broadened our search beyond the usual suspects.  I know Yarraside has traditionally been very hesitant to trust those outside its inner group, and reluctant to concede power to anyone they don't know implicitly, but I think you're right in that we're going to struggle with the position of Capo unless we give new people a chance.  Bearded Tony, for example, has volunteered on a number of occasions this season when the Capo on the day was less than motivated, but he either got shot down entirely or mocked for not quite knowing the chants perfectly.  This is a guy who is at the pub week in, week out, who sings for 90 minutes every week, and is generally as enthusiastic and passionate for the terrace as you can be.  If people like him were nurtured and given a chance to learn the lyrics properly, I bet he'd do a great job.

Similarly, it seems like it's an unspoken requirement that the capo must have a penis.  There, I said it.  You're eliminating a good number of potential candidates right there.  I know before I took up playing the trumpet in the terrace I often wanted to volunteer for the job, but felt like there was no point because I either wouldn't be allowed or no one would respect my authority anyway.  [**EDIT** I feel like this might be a bit more inflammatory than I originally intended.  I wasn't trying to suggest that I would be any good at the job, or the right person to pick, in fact I'd probably be rubbish because my voice is too quiet.  I was just trying to say that it often felt like even if I had clearly been the best possible person to be capo, I would never have been considered just because I was a girl.  Realistically, there are probably no female candidates at the moment who could do the job, but it would be nice to know that if someone DID come along, they would at least be considered for the role.]

There are many passionate 'unknown' people in the terrace who I'm sure would jump at the chance to be capo for a day.  I'm not saying just give any old person the megaphone, that would be stupid, obviously they have to prove that they can do the job, but I don't see that they should be disqualified from volunteering themselves just because they're not part of the Core.

Anyway, that's my unpopular opinion, feel free to tell me why I'm wrong  :)

Edited by GabiBoyd
  • Like 1

With the greatest respect to you, Hackett, to the rest of the Core, and to MTP who I think does a great job every week, I think that we might find many more people willing to put their hands up if we broadened our search beyond the usual suspects.  I know Yarraside has traditionally been very hesitant to trust those outside its inner group, and reluctant to concede power to anyone they don't know implicitly, but I think you're right in that we're going to struggle with the position of Capo unless we give new people a chance.  Bearded Tony, for example, has volunteered on a number of occasions this season when the Capo on the day was less than motivated, but he either got shot down entirely or mocked for not quite knowing the chants perfectly.  This is a guy who is at the pub week in, week out, who sings for 90 minutes every week, and is generally as enthusiastic and passionate for the terrace as you can be.  If people like him were nurtured and given a chance to learn the lyrics properly, I bet he'd do a great job.

Offered him the chance yesterday but he declined. 

I'd be open to the idea of instating a Reserve Capo but broadening the spectrum of potential candidates if we do so. 

Is it really a good idea to be calling out people who aren't chanting in the terrance? The people who stop singing are generally the younger lads who get down on themselves when the team goes down and starts to play like shit, and as much as we need to sing for 90 minutes the team on the park needs to provide something to get these lads up and about.

FWIW too i had a cousin of mine abused in the terrance for not singing, and he hasn't been back to a game since, so i just don't think it's worth calling people out.

And before people say 'why don't we just quick all teens out of the terrance?' you would literally have 4 blokes standing with the capo if you were to do that.

The terrance has done extremely well, considering our team hasn't finished above 6th, people wonder why the terrance is up and down, look at our overall win/loss record. 

• Like 2

Great post Gabi and some good ideas. I agree with you about needing more chants next year. I believe we need several simple chants that the GA crowd will adopt and participate in. The "stand up for your Heart" is one that comes to mind as one they seem to get involved in. I'm not saying we need to include the GA in everything we do, but it does help to have them onside if we want to make more noise.

Have you thought of approaching the club about getting your trumpet repaired? With the new owners cash starting to flow through to the club, perhaps Yarraside should put their hand up for a few dollars for such repairs?

Chants of the week and chant sheets. I've already organised for the Impy to fund this every week I just haven't been motivated to do so. Had grand ideas but feel restricted due to the approval process.

Chant sheets help those who don't know and allow those to learn. It motivated too

Gabi some good ideas you do make - but more importantly , well done for the courage to get on here and have your say 

im sure some of your thoughts will be echoed throughout and ideas followed .

Advice to the few, Never have a go at a young lad for not singing, a simple look and smile whilst clapping and singing will encourage him & keep him on the terraces 

Niko, your comment > Don't clap unless you have been directed to to clap. Don't start your own chants. 

Are you sure ? Where do you think the Chant of Ooh Ahh came from ? 

Supporters in and around Yarraside should be encouraged - 

Bozza & Gabi, a bit of imagination is required for fund raising towards new Musical items - an open busted drum or trumpet being used to throw a few gold coins in as whip round wouldn't take long to raise cash. Ill start with a Fiver :) 

WSW next game - Be loud Be Proud 

Cheers 

Keep the Heart - Keep the Colours = Keep the Fans 

• Like 3

Would be more than happy to donate funds to Yarraside, and I'm sure there are plenty of others who feel the same. I think that more collections at the game would be helpful, as I believe most of the donations/scarf sales etc are held at the Imperial and many of the terrace are unable to attend the pre-games due to outside commitments and age restrictions.

End of season 4 and its the same suggestions for improvement that we got last year and the year before that etc. Capo, Motivation, Chant selection

Watching yday the terrace looked empty. We're still struggling to put bodies within the section which would tell me that encouragement too sing, not singling out someone for not singing would be more appropriate. But we have also needed an incentive to get behind the squad and for half of the season we did not have that. hopefully we start brighter next year and we can recruit a load of glory hunters willing to sing.

We do need a capo that's not pissed at kick-off and if none of the inner/outer want that responsibility than it should be made available to someone who would like to do it. providing they are up to date with chants selection etc they would be most welcome to take it IMO as it is a thankless task and a burden those who continually pick up the mega only to receive abuse for the duration of the 90mins

Well written tho Gabi apart from one statement, Females have been apart of the terrace from day one. Giving up their time and their homes off the pitch, and have got their hands dirty more times than a few of the "men" on yarraside thats for sure. so that statement is a bit wide of the mark for me. 

That said maybe the women of Yside havnt received the thanks or the respect due to them and thats where we are failing most. 

• Like 1

I don't think anyone is really suggesting yelling at kids.  As some of you have said, often they're just deflated and with a small amount of encouragement will happily follow the crowd and continue to chant.  The key part of that though is that the crowd (i.e. terrace) needs to be chanting.  My request in the opening post for people to call out others is directed at those fully grown members of the terrace who spend the vast majority of games atmosphere-sponging, either just standing there sipping their drinks or worse, sitting down disinterestedly as happened this week.  They might sing the first line or two of a chant, then they simply lose interest and prefer to watch the game.  And the thing is, that's fine!  Singing for 90 minutes isn't for everyone.  But if you want to relax and watch the game, sit elsewhere in GA.  If you want to stand in the terrace, follow the capo and sing for the entire time that you're there.  If you want to do both on any given matchday, simply move depending on your mood.  We have the luxury of a half-empty stadium and non-assigned seating.  People just need to understand what the expectations are of choosing to be in a particular area.  If I were to stand up in the middle of GA and start blaring out tunes on my trumpet, people would tire of that pretty quickly and tell me to sit down because they didn't want their view obstructed.  It's not the Active area, after all!  Same standards should apply in reverse.

• Like 1

I rock up to Yside from time to time and heres some observations.

A more inclusive attitude is required where new people are always encouraged to join in. It can be intimidating for someone just to rock up there and when a new face is seen, they should be welcomed and felt as such. Also, get the other 2 active bays more involved and more numbers in them from GA higher up. It wont be as awkward for people to stand up in the other 2 bays if there is people surrounding them rather than being surrounded by green seats. Get a greater social media presence during the week to get everyone involved and excited for game day, posts chants on there also. Game day, make the scarves easier to buy, never know where to go onto get one. 

Chant sheets are a must, I will steal paper from uni if that what it takes.

This will definitely help a lot of the newer members and younger people get involved.

• Like 1

We really do need some new chants, even the old 'tried and true' chants are getting a bit stale, not because they are bad or anything, but because our repertoire is too small and we end up repeating the same thing 5-10 times in a game. I am generally okay with little lulls throughout the game, it is hard to maintain a certain level of intensity and enthusiasm throughout the full 90, and also, I find that spontaneous chants (often funny ones) come about in these little lulls. As for multiple capos, a good idea in theory, but I don't know if a large number of people are going to volunteer, happy to be proven wrong though. For what it is worth, I have often thought about putting my hand up for the job, but I don't think I have the right personality to be a capo haha! Happy to help out on instruments and stuff though, if need be!

Edited by xXJawsaXx

I rock up to Yside from time to time and heres some observations.

A more inclusive attitude is required where new people are always encouraged to join in. It can be intimidating for someone just to rock up there and when a new face is seen, they should be welcomed and felt as such.

Speaking from experience, I've found Yarraside to be very inclusive.

I got an active membership with an old mate of mine at the start of the season. Needless to say, since he turned into a weak whipped cunt with a fat whore of a girlfriend, we haven't been speaking much.

So I just rocked up in Yarraside by myself, and it was kinda intimidating since I didn't know anyone personally and met some great blokes I go with to every game I can now.

Edited by Tbitm
  • Like 1

Needs to be one capo.

We all know who would make the perfect capo..

I don't.

Braveheart.

Only one who has ever had enough respect from the terrace and various factions to do the role.

Regardless, if rotating capo is the way to go I'd be happy to do it for the odd match. I also wouldn't have issue with a female as capo either on the odd occasion.

• Like 4

I dont recall anyone ever saying no to female capo's, but tbh, there is probably only a handful of females who hold active memberships anyway. So its no surprise that no ladies have shown any interest.

I dont think a rotating roster will work. Multiple capo's working together at the same time would be better, ie, 2 megaphones, leading the same same songs(obviously) and focusing on different areas of the terrace. This way newcomers dont see some random capo each week. Also this way, if one of the Capo's cant make it then there will always be at least one of the team there to do it. Also having multiple people takes the pressure off having to remember all the chants.

• Like 3

Well aware of the relationship between Yarraside and the club, and no the problem isn't there, but the more the club can help people understand the nature of active support the better no?

1. Chanting

Maybe have a chat to MHFC and get them to turn off the music 5 mins before kickoff.  Id rather listen to crowd made atmosphere than music (including that horrid club song - which isnt working as expected)

I hate the music prior to kickoff but a simple phone call from one person isn't going to change that so I won't bother. What I will say is the team prior to kick off is warming up etc. I don't see the point in chanting and wasting energy when the team don't need your encouragement at this stage. And yes it does create atmosphere, but save that energy for the actuall game. We already have trouble maintaining a full 90 min, why make it harder and start chanting too early for nothing?

Gabi some good ideas you do make - but more importantly , well done for the courage to get on here and have your say 

im sure some of your thoughts will be echoed throughout and ideas followed .

Advice to the few, Never have a go at a young lad for not singing, a simple look and smile whilst clapping and singing will encourage him & keep him on the terraces 

Niko, your comment > Don't clap unless you have been directed to to clap. Don't start your own chants. 

Are you sure ? Where do you think the Chant of Ooh Ahh came from ? 

Supporters in and around Yarraside should be encouraged - 

Bozza & Gabi, a bit of imagination is required for fund raising towards new Musical items - an open busted drum or trumpet being used to throw a few gold coins in as whip round wouldn't take long to raise cash. Ill start with a Fiver :) 

WSW next game - Be loud Be Proud 

Cheers 

Keep the Heart - Keep the Colours = Keep the Fans

Well you can't have it both ways. You either want people to do as the capo says or you allow people to start making up their own chants and do their own thing. But with this you have to expect poeple to sometimes go against what the capo actually wants.

I definitely think a bigger social media presence is needed.

Apart from game day it is pretty much our main source of "advertising" so definitely think we should be utilising it more (and its free)

Having run a few social media pages and am currently doing a course on it would be happy to help out.

I know it won't be popular but need to ditch the imperial. Staff there are very condescending and rude. A march from a pub somewhere in Richmond where we get treated better and the beer and food is cheaper would be better in my opinion. Surely there would be a pub willing to cop a little silliness every now and again for the huge $$$$$ available to them.

Edited by RoyalHeart
  • Like 3

Apart from game day it is pretty much our main source of "advertising" so definitely think we should be utilising it more (and its free)

Having run a few social media pages and am currently doing a course on it would be happy to help out.

I know it won't be popular but need to ditch the imperial. Staff there are very condescending and rude. A march from a pub somewhere in Richmond where we get treated better and the beer and food is cheaper would be better in my opinion. Surely there would be a pub willing to cop a little silliness every now and again for the huge $$$$$ available to them.

You bring up contradicting points in this post.

No pub will cope with silliness. Steve has been very accommodating. Some staff members are actually very thoughtful towards us too. IMO

From the pubs perspective they are there for themselves and to run a business and this mustn't be forgotten. Yes they try to accommodate melbourne heart members but not at the expense of their reputation. Any 'silliness' won't be tolerated anywhere or at least anywhere where a serious business is being run.

On a serious note,

I think it is silly to comment saying that "the capo shouldn't be changed every week", this would be ludicrous. However, perhaps 2 or 3 people could take the role on over the season, rather than 1 person for every single match. And as someone else mentioned, there's no reason why there should only be 1 and 1 only every week. Something to trial for sure.

I have also often thought to myself, how long does the average chant go for? and how many unique chants would we need to have a natural, crowd lead, flow of chants that would last the entire 90 without repetition (unless crowd sourced) and without a loss of enthusiasm.

Not to say that there needs to be a "chant schedule", but having more or less a game plan for the structure each week could help. I know of many occasions where the question has been asked "what's next?".

Also, we have acquired a THIRD Trumpet, it was donated recently. It needs a bit of TLC and I hope to have it in good working order by next seasons start... Who's keen?

A chant schedule would soon get very boring. Once we expand out repertoire of chants again, the old favourites will be broken up by new player/situational chants. Starting the situational chants isnt easy for the capo with their back turned to the game. They do need to rely on the crowd to start these spur of the moment chants. This relates to the OP, where she says not to start your own chants, this is what keeps it fun and interesting.

The problem isn't just the capo, but also the chemistry he has with the drummer. I don't mean to come across as some pretentious musical genius, but the drumming has been below par for some time now. It's such an integral part of the terrace in keeping up with the tune, holding the tune etc, and is perhaps one of a number of reasons why y-side isn't fulfilling it's full potential. It's literally the heartbeat of the terrace. Really don't think we've had anyone decent on the drums since engin, I'm not having a crack at the current drummers, I for one appreciate the work and effort you put in, but we need better. 

In regards to the capo, you can't really implement a system of rotation unless the current singular capo system is changed, it's a position where stability is key. I don't even think we've even had the same capo for more than a season, the longest iirc being Ando. The solution of the cadre system was toyed with I think shortly after season one, I believe this is the direction that needs to be taken to rectify some of the longstanding issues. Ideally 3-4 committed lads, preferably a mix between both young and old, with each giving 100% on their time on the mega, whilst the others support them both verbally and physically when not on the mega, dividing the time between themselves. This eliminates the problem of capoless y-side, allows the blooding of future capo's without too much pressure, and the cadre groups themselves won't put up with the same shit a singular capo sometimes puts up with.

Also the trumpet has been a welcome, refreshing addition. 

My 2 cents. 

• Like 6

A chant schedule would soon get very boring. Once we expand out repertoire of chants again, the old favourites will be broken up by new player/situational chants. Starting the situational chants isnt easy for the capo with their back turned to the game. They do need to rely on the crowd to start these spur of the moment chants. This relates to the OP, where she says not to start your own chants, this is what keeps it fun and interesting.

I wasn't suggestion we literally have a schedule, and in reference to the OP about the starting your own chants part, this was expressed as a "rule" by others in the Yside, seems that the group is divided on this one even though some have tried to lay it down? Confused!

The problem isn't just the capo, but also the chemistry he has with the drummer. I don't mean to come across as some pretentious musical genius, but the drumming has been below par for some time now. It's such an integral part of the terrace in keeping up with the tune, holding the tune etc, and is perhaps one of a number of reasons why y-side isn't fulfilling it's full potential. It's literally the heartbeat of the terrace. Really don't think we've had anyone decent on the drums since engin, I'm not having a crack at the current drummers, I for one appreciate the work and effort you put in, but we need better.

In regards to the capo, you can't really implement a system of rotation unless the current singular capo system is changed, it's a position where stability is key. I don't even think we've even had the same capo for more than a season, the longest iirc being Ando. The solution of the cadre system was toyed with I think shortly after season one, I believe this is the direction that needs to be taken to rectify some of the longstanding issues. Ideally 3-4 committed lads, preferably a mix between both young and old, with each giving 100% on their time on the mega, whilst the others support them both verbally and physically when not on the mega, dividing the time between themselves. This eliminates the problem of capoless y-side, allows the blooding of future capo's without too much pressure, and the cadre groups themselves won't put up with the same shit a singular capo sometimes puts up with.

Also the trumpet has been a welcome, refreshing addition.

My 2 cents.

10/10 post.

Put my hand up for a cadre (not capo) position alongside COYBIR next yr.

- on the proviso that our chants are completely overhauled next session

- and many more flags and two sticks are added to the terrace

- the capo and each cadre has milk crate or something of equal function

I've always associated the capo as being intimidating and 'standing over' the terrace. If he isn't seen, then he isn't heard in the same voice.

Also, it would be worth moving the cadres, trumpets and drums to the 2nd row once more to see how that works. Tbf it's never been given a fair crack - and it is common amongst terraces across the world to be led by the front (capo, drums, instruments).

Let's bring the fuckin noise and colour back.

• Like 3