Melbourne Football

2020/2021 Fixtures

IssySG

8 hours ago, Mr MO said:

Surely Adelaide is rising as our biggest competition for top spots, such an anxious team for us to play against. Another this I’ve noticed, they keep signing players making their squad much stronger mid season - Goodwin and Juande come to mind.

They are definitely the competition right now, but the way we’re playing, I’m not worried about them.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/soccer/i-feel-for-the-coaches-a-league-finals-to-be-depleted-of-socceroos-olyroos-20210330-p57f7t.html

We seem to be doomed! I’m hoping that they just cancel the finals this year.

If Sydney FC isn’t not loosing any players than the finals are definitely going ahead.

I like the idea of a normal home and away season of 22 games and have the finals early.

Edited by Mr MO

9 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/soccer/i-feel-for-the-coaches-a-league-finals-to-be-depleted-of-socceroos-olyroos-20210330-p57f7t.html

We seem to be doomed! I’m hoping that they just cancel the finals this year.

If Sydney FC isn’t not loosing any players than the finals are definitely going ahead.

I like the idea of a normal home and away season of 22 games and have the finals early.

I think that number of matches would mean no Australian team would qualify for next season's ACL?

3 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

I think that number of matches would mean no Australian team would qualify for next season's ACL?

I’m not sure actually, good point - not sure what the threshold is. Alternatively, play full 26 rounds and just cancel the finals.

Don't know about others experience, but I've just booked for the derby, and been dumped in a random seat nowhere near my seat or my mates. Even worse than being allocated to a random row, I can now be given a seat, just not the seat that I have attached to my membership. Thinking I won't bother for the derby, stuff this. 

1 hour ago, fensaddler said:

Don't know about others experience, but I've just booked for the derby, and been dumped in a random seat nowhere near my seat or my mates. Even worse than being allocated to a random row, I can now be given a seat, just not the seat that I have attached to my membership. Thinking I won't bother for the derby, stuff this. 

Mate, reach out to the club ... I reckon they'll help sort it,  100%

@fensaddlerGet on to Ryan at Membership. He will take on the job of getting seats for you and your mates so that you're all together for all home matches going forward. Maybe too late for the Derby but for all those following.

I'm hopeful that in the future APL will make better use of the Easter Weekend (assuming the season encompasses it). IMO it would be a good period in which to hold home and away derbies - in our case we could play WU on the Friday and have the return derby on the Monday. I feel that this is the way to build tradition and significance into the league and help get people into the habit of going to the football.

• 4 weeks later...
On 04/04/2021 at 8:21 PM, jw1739 said:

I'm hopeful that in the future APL will make better use of the Easter Weekend (assuming the season encompasses it). IMO it would be a good period in which to hold home and away derbies - in our case we could play WU on the Friday and have the return derby on the Monday. I feel that this is the way to build tradition and significance into the league and help get people into the habit of going to the football.

Both days owned by AFL unfortunately.

Crazy to go up against Hawthorn VS Geelong over the road on Easter Monday. 

1 hour ago, Centrehalf said:

Both days owned by AFL unfortunately.

Crazy to go up against Hawthorn VS Geelong over the road on Easter Monday. 

Well, maybe Thursday evening and Sunday evening then. But I remain to be convinced that there isn't room for both codes in the same weekend.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The end of season derby is now at AAMI, behind closed doors.

That's very odd. At the moment City say nothing about spectators, and Victory are waiting for advice. The Newcastle match is still shown as "postponed." 

10 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

That's very odd. At the moment City say nothing about spectators, and Victory are waiting for advice. The Newcastle match is still shown as "postponed." 

It’s not really that odd is it?

It’s very hard for Newcastle to travel to and from Melbourne and complete their other fixtures.

Tards and us are already here, so we can play.

35 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

My apologies, I think I read more into the club tweet than was there. You're right that it isn't definitive about crowds. I guess we wait and see.

15 minutes ago, fensaddler said:

My apologies, I think I read more into the club tweet than was there. You're right that it isn't definitive about crowds. I guess we wait and see.

I wasn't very clear either. I wasn't having a shot at your post, just that no-one is mentioning the Newcastle match at all, even though it was scheduled to be played before the derby.

For me this is such an anti-climactic end to a Premiership-winning season. Huge let-down after the euphoria after the Central Coast match.

3 hours ago, jw1739 said:

I wasn't very clear either. I wasn't having a shot at your post, just that no-one is mentioning the Newcastle match at all, even though it was scheduled to be played before the derby.

For me this is such an anti-climactic end to a Premiership-winning season. Huge let-down after the euphoria after the Central Coast match.

Totally agree, but to be fair you can't blame the club or even the League. 

It all comes back to the bat eating mother fucker that fucked the entire globe when he could have just had a burger instead. 

12 hours ago, Jovan said:

It all comes back to the bat eating mother fucker that fucked the entire globe when he could have just had a burger instead. 

I'm not blaming anyone. Just seems odd that the Newcastle match doesn't get a mention.

• Like 1

On 01/06/2021 at 8:37 PM, Jovan said:

image.jpeg.a4d5356b96d4021904eb19405d09ac34.jpeg

just saying .....

• Like 2

4 hours ago, thisphantomfortress said:

They'll do another hub imo. Which frankly fucking sucks 

I can't see any matches being played with spectators in Melbourne. Fairly obviously any hub has to be in Sydney. I can't see a realistic alternative. We'll go up there, play our final league match against Newcastle, then our semi-final, and then final if we get through to it.

13 minutes ago, Shahanga said:

The chances of this having anything to do with someone “eating a bat” are becoming less and less likely.

I think you are close to the mark with this comment. My understanding is that new pathogens are not recognised as such immediately they occur unless they are mass killers right from the start. They generally start as presenting as unusual sickness or deaths that cannot be classified because no-one has seen them before, and only when the experts start to put two and two together do they realise that there's a previously unknown thread linking them all.

It's probable that this pathogen arose some while before a subsequent more deadly mutation emerged in Wuhan and it's gone on from there, mutating quite quickly and, relatively unusually, some of the mutations are proving more deadly than the one first recognised.

But IMO it doesn't really matter where it all came from now. International and internal political arguing over that is not helping anyone overcome what the world is facing now. It's the blame game and the failure to act in a unified way - both evidenced here at home - that pisses me off more than what we're going through just at this moment. People need confidence in their leadership, and hope for the future. I don't have either at the present time.

And I know that many people are suffering far more than we are in Australia, and that many in Australia are suffering far more than I am. 

36 minutes ago, Shahanga said:

Well it might matter where it came from. Will the lab it probably emerged from be managed better in the future? Or will we see mistakes like this in the future as well?

Will the next virus to emerge from that lab be a mistake or something else?

With the number of countries pursuing the development of biological weapons...further pandemics are inevitable, mistakes or not.

• 1 month later...
  • malloy unpinned this topic