Melbourne Football

2020/2021 Fixtures

IssySG

48 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

It might be a lot less than previous years with all the mid week scheduling.

I'm looking at this season as an interim one and not expecting very much at all. IMO next season will see even more changes - management, broadcasting, and now with a very good chance of an effective vaccine on the way -  the League could be set for a new beginning.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

I'm looking at this season as an interim one and not expecting very much at all. IMO next season will see even more changes - management, broadcasting, and now with a very good chance of an effective vaccine on the way -  the League could be set for a new beginning.

I reckon you're very much on the money this year. Its a transition year both by necessity and design in terms of what COVID has forced us to do, what it is still limiting us from doing and the potential eventual conversion to a fully fledged winter comp.

FWIW i actually think there's a bit of merit in a December to June comp, almost a best of both worlds scenario. The days of worrying about clashes and air time with the AFL and NRL are over imo, those bastards hog the airways irrespective nowadays.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, bt50 said:

I reckon you're very much on the money this year. Its a transition year both by necessity and design in terms of what COVID has forced us to do, what it is still limiting us from doing and the potential eventual conversion to a fully fledged winter comp.

FWIW i actually think there's a bit of merit in a December to June comp, almost a best of both worlds scenario. The days of worrying about clashes and air time with the AFL and NRL are over imo, those bastards hog the airways irrespective nowadays.

Heart's seasons 2,3 and 4 (2011/12, 2012/13, 2013/14) ran from from October to March/April. I could see anything wrong with that.

9 hours ago, bt50 said:

I know we joke about this from time to time. But IMO it's a serious issue, right throughout the media. I happened to drop into a cafe this afternoon and have a coffee, picked up The Age to have a look - and there was not a single mention of football in the 4-5 pages of sport.

Edited by jw1739

On 11/12/2020 at 8:11 PM, jw1739 said:

I know we joke about this from time to time. But IMO it's a serious issue, right throughout the media. I happened to drop into a cafe this afternoon and have a coffee, picked up The Age to have a look - and there was not a single mention of football in the 4-5 pages of sport.

All of the media companies are cutting back so I am not surprised. I’d say they will keep the Sydney based writers and fuck the rest off. I am not even sure the HS has any football writers at the moment

• 2 weeks later...

1 minute ago, jw1739 said:

A lot of the early matches of the season - both men and women - are postponed because of the coronavirus outbreak in Sydney. Best to check the club website for the latest news on fixtures.

Ha, beat me to it 😁

Looks like we might get a couple of early #notaderby games. I imagine us vs the Tards will be held back for the chance to get solid crowds

• 3 weeks later...

This is just a prediction, there is absolutely no substance to this whatsoever. We will play Victory on Australia day, cause there is no way Perth will be able to get here and back home for their game. And we have a massive run on NSW teams in a row, so something needs to be done 

• jw1739 pinned this topic

The next A-League match is now home to Perth on Sunday 31st January at 6.40 p.m., preceded by a W-League match vs. Brisbane at 4.05 p.m.

The scheduled match against Central Coast on 3rd February has been officially postponed.

https://www.melbournecityfc.com.au/news/a-league-and-westfield-w-league-fixture-update-january-31-double-header-locked

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Shahanga said:

Given even a keen supporter like me has no idea what is going on in this league fixtures wise, casual supporters have no chance.

on that basis our round 3 crowd was miraculous.

@Shahanga Doesn't help when FA/APL refers to "Matchweek 6" when no-one has played more than 3 matches, and then refers to it as "Midweek 6" on its web-site...

Even the fuckers at HQ are confused!

• Like 1

On 20/01/2021 at 8:16 AM, Shahanga said:

Is your new job doing the fixturing for the A League per chance?

It's no wonder people get confused. I just received an e-mail telling me that we're playing Adelaide tonight in Adelaide ("City travel to Adelaide to take on the Reds") except that further investigation tells me it's a W-League match...

Edited by jw1739
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, neio said:

February fixtures are out, and because we have done so well as a state to help eradicate the virus, we are rewarded with zero home games for the entire month 

As usual, the game is organised and run from NSW, and for the benefit of NSW. What a bloody shit show. From our first eight games, we'll have played two at home. Two. 

1 minute ago, Nate said:

this is monumentally shit

Agreed, with knobs on. 

1 hour ago, neio said:

February fixtures are out, and because we have done so well as a state to help eradicate the virus, we are rewarded with zero home games for the entire month 

Where are you getting this from? When I look at the A-League and club websites I see a lot of home matches (31 Jan; 8, 21, 28 Feb all at home, and on 13 Feb away  vs. Western United but at AAMI Park, and no postponements.

Edited by jw1739

4 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Where are you getting this from? When I look at the A-League and club websites I see a lot of home matches (31 Jan; 8, 21, 28 Feb all at home, and on 13 Feb away  vs. Western United but at AAMI Park, and no postponements.

https://www.a-league.com.au/news/updated-a-league-202021-season-draws-matchweeks-5-9

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Our fixture into chaos again, obviously our WSW game is postponed. Sydney have said their next game is against Brisbane next week, so they obviously have no intention of coming here for our game on the 16th. Then our next scheduled game is Perth in Perth, I assume the border will well and truly be shut, so we won't be able to do that one either

Looking purely through a football lens here, but maybe this is the perfect outcome for us. Devoid of ideas, creativity and momentum of late, at least now we've got an extended period to try and turn things around.

That said, I'm not sure what the regulations are around training so hopefully that doesn't get thrown into too much disarray but I'm sure as hell glad we don't have to play WSW and Sydney this week given our current form.

1 hour ago, neio said:

Our fixture into chaos again, obviously our WSW game is postponed. Sydney have said their next game is against Brisbane next week, so they obviously have no intention of coming here for our game on the 16th. Then our next scheduled game is Perth in Perth, I assume the border will well and truly be shut, so we won't be able to do that one either

If the British mutation of the virus gets away from us then I suspect that will be the end of the season. We're on a knife's edge just at this moment with something like 1000 contacts already in isolation. No tracing system in the world can deal with more than 50 cases per day.

Just now, Shahanga said:

Can’t help think that if Peter V’Landys was running the A League there’d be a lot less postponed games.

Disagree. A League is way more spread out whereas NRL, Melbourne aside is entirely based in two states.

Significantly easier proposition.

40 minutes ago, bt50 said:

Disagree. A League is way more spread out whereas NRL, Melbourne aside is entirely based in two states.

Significantly easier proposition.

Underestimating his can do approach and achievements I reckon. 
He not only got the NRL going again he inadvertently dragged the AFL with him (who panicked about their market share when they saw they were being left behind).

For anyone who has a degree in science and is trying to keep up with our fixture list

Our game against Perth on the 20th has been postponed 

We play Sydney at AAMI on the 23rd

Out game against Brisbane on the 26th has been postponed 

But we now have a game against WSW on March 2

This will all probably change again

• 1 month later...

Slightly off topic didn’t know where to put this.

We are playing WU away at AAMI.

Does WU have designated home end? When we play Victory home or away at AAMI, there are no issues as our home ends are naturally opposite each other anyway.

Edited by Mr MO

1 hour ago, Mr MO said:

Slightly off topic didn’t know where to put this.

We are playing WU away at AAMI.

Does WU have designated home end? When we play Victory home or away at AAMI, there are no issues as our home ends are naturally opposite each other anyway.

We're up our away end (GA). Active bay in the middle and $25 GA tickets elsewhere. 

• Like 1

• malloy unpinned this topic