Melbourne Football

2020/2021 Fixtures

IssySG

2 hours ago, HughJass said:

From what I have heard will be 25% capacity limit at Aami park

59 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

We reached that just four times last season - 2 Derbies vs. Victory, and one against WU, and one match vs. Brisbane.

Ha, was about to comment that it sounds like business as usual for us. 

It will be funny, sad and kinda awesome to see a home Derby with us being the ones out in number

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, mattyh001 said:

Ha, was about to comment that it sounds like business as usual for us. 

It will be funny, sad and kinda awesome to see a home Derby with us being the ones out in number

I assume that we will have to be spread out across the whole stadium. That'll be interesting. If we have 7,500 members and all sign up to go there will be no room for any opposition supporters.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, jw1739 said:

I assume that we will have to be spread out across the whole stadium. That'll be interesting. If we have 7,500 members and all sign up to go there will be no room for any opposition supporters.

not necessarily as people may be coming with those in the same household - why separate / spread them out? could be based on the aisle / bay you are in

you're right tho, interesting any which way

Edited by mattyh001

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, fensaddler said:

If I've just heard Dan correctly, from 22nd Nov, major sporting venues will be able to go to 25% capacity. With Borders likely to come down too, that means that by the time the season starts, and perhaps also for some pre-season games, we'll be back to watching live. That's such good news. 

Means our whole membership base plus walk ins won't have a problem getting in. God bless this club. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, n i k o said:

Means our whole membership base plus walk ins won't have a problem getting in. God bless this club. 

I think a lot of people, particularly oldies, will still be very cautious, especially using public transport. I will be. Whatever the rules are, it's only 9 days. A fantastic outcome, but let's not say it's over yet. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, jw1739 said:

I think a lot of people, particularly oldies, will still be very cautious, especially using public transport. I will be. Whatever the rules are, it's only 9 days. A fantastic outcome, but let's not say it's over yet. 

If it was right now, absolutely (though I'm back commuting on the train from the 16th...). But by the 22nd Nov or the 27th Dec, it's going to look different again. Not over yet by a long way, but heading in the right direction. 

• 2 weeks later...

The outbreak in Adelaide is going to affect the season now. I foresee that State governments are just not going to keep their borders open if outbreaks continue. What I see down here in Bayside is blatant disregard for both distancing and mask regulations - typical fucking arrogant upper middle class residents that we have down here - it's just a matter of time before we have an outbreak here too. Only takes one person.

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, jw1739 said:

The outbreak in Adelaide is going to affect the season now. I foresee that State governments are just not going to keep their borders open if outbreaks continue. What I see down here in Bayside is blatant disregard for both distancing and mask regulations - typical fucking arrogant upper middle class residents that we have down here - it's just a matter of time before we have an outbreak here too. Only takes one person.

I share your concern. The Karen crew are really an issue. Perhaps March April seems like a bigger issue though and a bubble might have to happen again. Who really knows.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Tommykins said:

https://www.espn.com.au/football/australian-a-league/story/4239194/a-league-turf-war-erupts-in-melbourne-between-cityvictory-and-western-united

Depending on how this goes there could be three teams playing a lot of their games at AAMI park this year

I like the way we are named first.

I don't quite understand though, how City and Victory, as tenants, can prevent the owners of the stadium from hosting other matches there. Do we have "our own" change room and facilities, and Victory have "theirs" - could that be the problem?

On 20/11/2020 at 4:55 PM, jw1739 said:

I like the way we are named first.

I don't quite understand though, how City and Victory, as tenants, can prevent the owners of the stadium from hosting other matches there. Do we have "our own" change room and facilities, and Victory have "theirs" - could that be the problem?

AFC regulations only allow 2 clubs to share a stadium. If WU play at AAMI it could cause issues to our ACL spot.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, steven_92 said:

AFC regulations only allow 2 clubs to share a stadium. If WU play at AAMI it could cause issues to our ACL spot.

It would have been a lot better if that had been made clear in the article, and if that it indeed the reason it would have been better if City and Victory had issued a statement to that effect. As it stands, it reads as if they are just being bloody-minded.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

I still don't understand why we cannot have alternating home and away matches. Runs of away matches don't keep the public interested in a club. 12 clubs, what's the problem? Don't need a bye now.

That stretch of 8 games in VIC in a row should go alright though. If we start the season well, then that stretch could see some good interest in the club.

18 minutes ago, Shahanga said:

I don’t understand why we don’t have a 33 game season. 12 teams and only 26 games?
next thing we’ll have players bitching about “5 day breaks”

I think this coming season is a bit of a transition. It'll be interesting to see what happens to this https://footballtoday.news/features/blue-skies-ahead-for-the-a-e-w-and-y-leagues

But I agree with you. No sport can grow when it goes off the radar for six months every year, and it will always struggle to survive.

4 hours ago, Hanz said:

When’s our first ACL game?

From Wikipedia:

Qualifying:
19 January – 2 February 2021
Competition proper:
15 February – 27 November 2021

however as I understand it the ACL are seriously looking into a repeat of the hub setting for the 2021 series. That brings huge complications. I have not see our draw for AL yet so not sure which games are affected. 

3 hours ago, Nate said:

So weird not playing a Melbourne derby until Round 13. 

Also very weird playing Sydney in Round 1, only to not play them again until Round 24 just over four months later.

No Christmas Derby. A tradition that we worked hard to build. Gone.

Edited by jw1739
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...

First time I've really looked at our fixtures and in particular our home fixtures, and it's bloody terrible.

Friday night, Sunday night, Wednesday night, Monday night, Sunday night, Sunday night, Friday night, Monday night is our first 8 timeslots for home games. Just a regular weekend fixture for most teams would have sufficed I would have thought 

1 hour ago, neio said:

First time I've really looked at our fixtures and in particular our home fixtures, and it's bloody terrible.

Friday night, Sunday night, Wednesday night, Monday night, Sunday night, Sunday night, Friday night, Monday night is our first 8 timeslots for home games. Just a regular weekend fixture for most teams would have sufficed I would have thought 

Two away matches to start with isn't exactly helpful either. 

Who dreams up this stuff I don't know. Someone in Fox I suppose.

• jw1739 pinned this topic
  • malloy unpinned this topic