Melbourne Football

"Greek star Sotirios Kyrgiakos hopes to attract A-League attention"

strider

Greek star Sotirios Kyrgiakos hopes to attract A-League attention with Sydney Olympic stint

March 2, 2014 - 10:20PM

Former Greek international Sotirios Kyrgiakos has agreed to a two-game guest stint with NSW Premier League side Sydney Olympic.

The 34-year old will make his debut for the ex-NSL champions against Blacktown Spartans on March 23 and is hoping to catch the eye of A-League clubs for next season.

Kyrgiakos has enjoyed a 15-year professional career with clubs such as Liverpool, Sunderland, Rangers, AEK Athens, Panathinaikos, Eintracht Frankfurt, and most recently, Wolfsburg.

While he missed Greece's Euro 2004 triumph with a knee injury, he played at Euro 2008 and in the 2010 World Cup, accumulating 61 international caps.

Kyrgiakos said he first thought about moving to Australia when he was part of the Greek squad that played at the MCG in 2006.

"When I met Sydney Olympic technical director Arthur Diles in Athens, I was instantly excited by the opportunity to visit a country I briefly visited in 2006 when Greece played Australia in Melbourne," he said.

"I'll never forget nearly 100,000 people at the stadium that night. Greeks in foreign countries have achieved so much and I am aware of the great progress football is making in Australia, attracting star players like [Alessandro] Del Piero, [William] Gallas and [Emile] Heskey."

Kyrgiakos says he still believes he has what it takes to earn a professional contract in the A-League.

"I am in very good physical condition and I am very focused on playing well for Sydney Olympic. But I want to play for another couple of years and the A-League appeals to me," he said.

"I have had offers over the past six months from Europe but I want my last contract to be about a new experience, an exciting league and the A-League offers that."

Source: The Age online - http://www.theage.com.au/sport/soccer/greek-star-sotirios-kyrgiakos-hopes-to-attract-aleague-attention-with-sydney-olympic-stint-20140302-33u9e.html

Wiki-Stats

Full name Sotirios Kyrgiakos

Date of birth 23 July 1979 (age 34) 

Height 1.93 m (6 ft 4 in)

Playing position Centre Back

----------

Obviously the Greek connection is massive, would perhaps bring a large quantity of Greeks over to the Heart. He's 6cm shorter than our BFD, has long luscious locks and has a ton of experience. Despite his age at 34 he is a CB and playing for a couple more years in that position is not unheard of.

Sotirios_Kyrgiakos_877192a.jpg

Thoughts?

Edited by strider

Looks like a Neanderthal gypsy, no thanks.

Unhealthy obsession with Greek players and Greek clubs by some members on this forum.

If Heart match up against one of these Greek clubs in the FFA cup, the old 'ellas ellas, kur vo gaz' chant deserves a go.

• Like 3

Doesn't fit the criteria for a marquee outlined by Begiristain.

No way would you sign him as a marquee and to be fair I'm pretty sure that wasn't what was suggested.

I never rated him at Liverpool- simply not good enough for an elite premier league club.  Having said that though the A league is somewhat beneath that level so that's OK and certainly in his Liverpool days he was good enough to be better than most, if not all, Aussie based defenders.  The question is though, if he's still any good why is he at Sydney Olympic?  I have alarm bells ringing all over the place from that.  Suggest we tread carefully.

Doesn't fit the criteria for a marquee outlined by Begiristain.

No way would you sign him as a marquee and to be fair I'm pretty sure that wasn't what was suggested.

I never rated him at Liverpool- simply not good enough for an elite premier league club.  Having said that though the A league is somewhat beneath that level so that's OK and certainly in his Liverpool days he was good enough to be better than most, if not all, Aussie based defenders.  The question is though, if he's still any good why is he at Sydney Olympic?  I have alarm bells ringing all over the place from that.  Suggest we tread carefully.

Would not be surprised to see him at an A-League club. Doesn't have to be us (as many have said our beloved Kisnorbo and Wielaert have that shift covered). 

Looked through a lot of YouTube vids (lol) and he's a massive threat from set pieces but also a bit too aggressive IMO.

Looks like a Neanderthal gypsy, no thanks.

Unhealthy obsession with Greek players and Greek clubs by some members on this forum.

If Heart match up against one of these Greek clubs in the FFA cup, the old 'ellas ellas, kur vo gaz' chant deserves a go.

Neanderthal gypsy rofl