Melbourne Football

Round 17 - vs Sydney - Friday Jan 31st - 7.30pm AEDT, 8.30am GMT

Caddy

Yarraside rocked tonight full stop

I was in the northern stand just behind the goals (got to see all 3 up close) and there wasn't much noise. Ocassionally we could hear the Sydney FC supporters but by and large could hear the Yarraside quite well. BUT there was a lull in noise after the equaliser that lasted about 10 minutes - we could not hear a thing from anyone. I reckon if somebody had dropped a pin on the turf we would have heard it. I don't know what happened whether Yarraside went silent (but not according to the comments here) or whether there was sufficient wind to drive the noise away.

This version of Heart is unrecognisable from the 11 shuffling zombies that shuffled around the pitch for their weekly dose of bad luck in the Aloisi era. This team makes its own luck.

Its even more incredible that JVS has kept more or less the same starting line up that JA had. The two major differences is that HK is becoming fitter and Engelaar has been on for about 120 minutes and although I have been happy with what he has shown I don't think he has been critical.

I wonder whether Sidwell has been bothered to watch the Heart since the change of ownership to realise the damage the board was inflicting on the club and the players by keeping JA as coach. After JA was dismissed, Sidwell said that everyone had blood on their hands - well as far as I'm concerned thatt the team coming back from behind three times for two wins and one draw tells me that the board was remiss on its duty of care towards the club and players, and when blood was spilt it was because JA could not coach and the board allowed the situation to fester for far too long.

• Like 2

I am devastated. This is not the club I have followed and loved all season. Where did all of this composure, passion, ability to show flowing football and desire to attack come from? It just shows the incredible damage having a coach like JA who couldn't properly structure or instil confidence in the team does. Sidwell et al has a lot to answer for. With JVS everyone's game on the ground has lifted and to come back from a man and a goal down and against very poor refereeing shows a fantastic spirit. Thanks again Yarraside, I love the noise - it makes for a brilliant atmosphere.

Quote of the evening from a new attendee:

"What are they cheering for?"

Pointing at YS when we were a man and a goal down and Sydney were pressing our goal.

Welcome to football

Had a go at some random teen who pointed to Germano after the game and said 'who's that?'

Felt like the shittest bloke when I found out it's his 2nd game at the football lol.

• Like 2

why are people afraid or lazy to volunteer waving a flag or holding a 2 stick? it's actually fun doing it believe it or not.

I have a blister now but was so worth it. People forget the responsibilities involved in the active area...

Well  you maybe get a blister on your little finger, maybe get a blister on your thumb, but you'll get your money for nothing and your chicks for free.

• Like 1

BTW does anyone know what happened to Garrucio right near the final whistle when he went down and seem to have been knocked on the head? Hoffman was about to do a throw in and he pointed out to the ref that a man was down. There seemed to be some agitation going on but I did not see it, the cameras were focused on Hoffman and Basheer was focused on himself.

What a performance. I have only missed one home game all season (of course it was the only win at the time) so am glad to have been there for a win.

Yarraside and the whole crowd was brilliant tonight. Seriously considering an active membership next year and getting in on the fun.

• Like 2

BTW does anyone know what happened to Garrucio right near the final whistle when he went down and seem to have been knocked on the head? Hoffman was about to do a throw in and he pointed out to the ref that a man was down. There seemed to be some agitation going on but I did not see it, the cameras were focused on Hoffman and Basheer was focused on himself.

After the match he had a little cut just above his eye, think it was that. Nothing serious.

He was just time wasting

Yarra side was brilliant last night, thought you were loud, covered a lot of seating area also.

Great win, this is definitely a turning point.

Had moments where I thought I was watching Brisbane attacking while passing the ball around (mass). I stayed a long time afterwards to meet players. Kewell was fantastic both during and after game. Looking forward to our next game, and I bet the players are too.