Melbourne Football

Aaron Mooy

MHFCRC

Melbourne City star Aaron Mooy knows all about A-League derbies from his time in Sydney

MATT WINDLEY

OCTOBER 23, 2014 

MELBOURNE City midfielder Aaron Mooy will head in to Saturday night’s high-octane derby with the experience of four Sydney derbies behind him.

No player has done that before.

Michael Beauchamp went the other way, featuring for Melbourne Heart before moving to Western Sydney.

But Mooy’s experience of the A-League’s other cross-town rivalry will hold him in good stead for what will be a cauldron-like atmosphere at a packed out Etihad Stadium.

“You’ve got to be careful to stay concentrated and stay professional,” Mooy said.

“Because even something that’s not that bad a tackle the crowd pumps it up to make it seem like it should be a red card.

“So you’ve got to be really careful what you do.

“(The Sydney games had a) great atmosphere. Everyone’s going at 100 miles an hour, especially in the first half hour or so, everyone’s fired up.

“You can’t really hear each other talk, so it was unbelievable.”

Mooy said he was pumped for his first Melbourne derby experience.

As a former Wanderer it’s no surprise that Mooy nominated Sydney derby games at Pirtek Stadium as being better than those at Allianz Stadium.

But he’s expecting just as good an event at Docklands.

“All the boys have been talking it up, saying how good the atmosphere will be, they say it’s unreal,” he said.

“And Melbourne Victory look like they’re going to be a good team this year. It’s a massive game and everyone’s fired up, which is quite normal for a derby.

“It’s obviously going to be a huge crowd too. I can’t wait.”

The 24-year-old described his first two weeks as “pretty solid” and spoke glowingly of his flourishing midfield partnership with Erik Paartalu and Massimo Murdocca.

Mooy already had experienced playing alongside Paartalu while with the Socceroos in last year’s East Asian Cup.

“He’s played in Scotland as well, like me. He’s got a Scottish girlfriend and I’ve got a Scottish girlfriend, so it’s a bit weird,” Mooy said.

“But we’re all going pretty well. They’re good players to play with.

“Everyone’s different, but I think we all compliment each other so it’s going well.”

Saturday night is also a massive night for Western Sydney, which will take on Al Hilal at Pirtek in the first leg of the Asian Champions League final.

Mooy helped the Wanderers get through the group stages of the tournament before making the winter switch to City.

“I obviously wish them luck, they’re doing really well,” Mooy said.

“Hopefully they can take it out for Australian football. But I’ll be concentrating on my job here.”

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/football/melbourne-city-star-aaron-mooy-knows-all-about-aleague-derbies-from-his-time-in-sydney/story-fnk6pqhd-1227100197220?nk=c9f67d8a5ec778db06677355fcb8091e

He tore the current future Socceroos AM flavour of the month Antonis a new one.

Was BOG against the Jest

Dominated the middle in the first half against TWO current Soccceroos midfielder, with two assists.

if he was still at Sydney or playing for the Visitors, he would be  shoe in for the Asia Cup.

Totally agree, if he continues in same form against Adelaide and Roar he CANNOT be ignored any longer.

Everyone agree that he has been the best player for us this season so far?

Definitely for me, so far it's between him and Duff, with probably Kisnorbo coming in 3rd.

They've have been our most consistent players this season, and that's basically where it stops when talking about consistency.

Everyone agree that he has been the best player for us this season so far?

yeah.  Good player, loads of potential BUT let's not pump his tyres up this week.  He needs to play 90 minutes this week  and not go missing when the going gets tough.  Aaron, if you read this, a good half of football by itself is worthless.  More effort Friday mate. 

there was a moment tonight where he just a had to roll the ball in front of villa into the area and he didn't... game defining moment

I remember that very clearly. Held the ball for about 3 seconds then eventually gave it straight to a defender. Villa would've just had to slot it in the far corner.

IMO was poor tonight.  I don't judge an AM by how many tackles he makes or how many blades of grass he covers.

I judge an AM by how many passes he completes, he many genuine chances he creates, how quickly he sees and acts on the possibilities in front of him.

Too many turnovers due to errant passing, holding the ball for too long, and missed opportunities due to lack of vision.

• Like 1

Mass spends the whole game buzzing around everywhere and by half time he's fukd.

Paartalu's positioning at the moment is no good and is nowhere near it.

Realised last night that by half way through the second half, this bloke is stuffed because he's trying to do the job of three men. Hence some of the sloppy stuff he produces the longer the game goes on.

Edited by rass
  • Like 1

Mass spends the whole game buzzing around everywhere and by half time he's fukd.

Paartalu's positioning at the moment is no good and is nowhere near it.

Realised last night that by half way through the second half, this bloke is stuffed because he's trying to do the job of three men. Hence some of the sloppy stuff he produces the longer the game goes on.

Absolutely agree. Mooy is not an out and out Attacking midfielder but a #8 ( box-to-box)- at the moment Paartalu is far from his previous standards at Brisbane and Murdocca is tenacious in defence and a great presser, but horrible and a momentum destroyer when we have the ball. Mooy is being relied on to do EVERYTHING when we have the ball. Paartalu isn't getting it deep and MM can't play effective forward passes or link up play from midfield to our forwards. if juts one of these guys was doing their job better ( imo Paartalu will come good) then Mooy would be unburdened and be even better. Him, Duff and Kisnorbo are the only players that are playing to a good standard thus far this season.