Melbourne Football

Aaron Mooy

MHFCRC

2 hours ago, Tesla said:

Let's be real guys, this is the truth.

Huddersfield is nothing more than a year of his prime wasted. His career will now never reach the heights it could have if he was playing at a higher level this year. Not sure about those particular teams (Stoke are underrated and have some serious quality players), but certainly could be a starting player for a team in the Premier League or an even better league.

Yeah he'll be doing it next year, but at his age he really couldn't afford to waste a year like this. At the start of next season he'll be turning 27, teams will be more reluctant to gamble on a player at that age so it will be harder to make big moves.

The reality is that the A-League and Australian players are undervalued in Europe.  Even by most Australians.  Its a huge gamble for an EPL club to bring a player in to their starting eleven straight from the A-League.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Kiro Kompiro said:

The reality is that the A-League and Australian players are undervalued in Europe.  Even by most Australians.  Its a huge gamble for an EPL club to bring a player in to their starting eleven straight from the A-League.

Not if scouts can do their job correctly.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Jimmy said:

Not if scouts can do their job correctly.

The real issue is that opinions on the actual standard of the  A-league vary considerably.

The A-League is actually a unique animal.  Its physical, its fast.  It being a summer comp demands in-game endurance levels as high as anywhere.  Technically it can vary wildly depending on the team and the game, and even if the game is being played at night!  Yes, the time of day matters!

There is also an element of bias.  An English ex-pat agent/scout on 442 has said Mooy will struggle in the Championship, let alone the EPL.  According to him there isn't a single Australian he would recommend for a Championship club-a wee\k later Mooy dominated the England NT midfield!

I think the best thing that can happen to change that perception is for the Socceroos to get out of the group stage at the next World Cup

18 minutes ago, Kiro Kompiro said:

The real issue is that opinions on the actual standard of the  A-league vary considerably.

The A-League is actually a unique animal.  Its physical, its fast.  It being a summer comp demands in-game endurance levels as high as anywhere.  Technically it can vary wildly depending on the team and the game, and even if the game is being played at night!  Yes, the time of day matters!

There is also an element of bias.  An English ex-pat agent/scout on 442 has said Mooy will struggle in the Championship, let alone the EPL.  According to him there isn't a single Australian he would recommend for a Championship club-a wee\k later Mooy dominated the England NT midfield!

I think the best thing that can happen to change that perception is for the Socceroos to get out of the group stage at the next World Cup

So what you're saying is most scouts are shit, who let their personal bias against a league they know zero about get in the way of judging an individual player on their own merit?

Ergo, "not if scouts can do their job correctly"

26 minutes ago, Jimmy said:

So what you're saying is most scouts are shit, who let their personal bias against a league they know zero about get in the way of judging an individual player on their own merit?

Ergo, "not if scouts can do their job correctly"

Another way at looking at the same thing is to say "scouting is very difficult".  Bare in mind their reputation (livelihood) is on the line every time they make a call, has to make them conservative. That's why low risk moves of bringing in a player from the same league are so popular.

Anyway any clown with a internet connection can say they are a scout (or ex scout) on 442.  Dude probably caught a bus past Old Trafford once.

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, Shahanga said:

Another way at looking at the same thing is to say "scouting is very difficult".  Bare in mind their reputation (livelihood) is on the line every time they make a call, has to make them conservative. That's why low risk moves of bringing in a player from the same league are so popular.

Anyway any clown with a internet connection can say they are a scout (or ex scout) on 442.  Dude probably caught a bus past Old Trafford once.

Having played rugby at a decent enough level and seen who gets picked up and who doesn't. Along with knowing people who are now playing pro football in Europe currently, I can safely say 90% of scouts in all sports have no idea

• Like 1

If you look in cricket I see 3 classic examples of this.

1. Matt Hayden. Rejected by the cricket academy. "We only want players good enough to play for Australia"

2. Shane Warne. The chairman of selectors for Victoria claimed it was a NSW plot to pick him for Australia, to force Victoria to pick a poor player.

3. Glenn McGrath. Ex test cricketer admitted "the selectors saw something in him I didn't see"

Hard to get 3 bigger stuff ups than those. Scouting is hard.

• Like 1

Had a good game for Huddersfield but was also at fault for Brentfords goal.. He didn´t track back fast enough, something you´ll never get away with in the Championship.
But all in all.. One of the 2-3 best players on the pitch.

Premier league class?.. No, not yet anyway.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, M13 said:

Had a good game for Huddersfield but was also at fault for Brentfords goal.. He didn´t track back fast enough, something you´ll never get away with in the Championship.
But all in all.. One of the 2-3 best players on the pitch.

Premier league class?.. No, not yet anyway.

I don't think you can call him at fault, he just tried to close the passing lane down, it was probably the CD who didn't move was at fault. Anyway, playing him so deep doesn't suite him, Poppa tried at WSW and he never starred. He will do ok, but it is not his natural inclination to play the role Warner wants him to, but is best suited to it, considering the team.

Edited by moops

28 minutes ago, moops said:

I don't think you can call him at fault, he just tried to close the passing lane down, it was probably the CD who didn't move was at fault. Anyway, playing him so deep doesn't suite him, Poppa tried at WSW and he never starred. He will do ok, but it is not his natural inclination to play the role Warner wants him to, but is best suited to it, considering the team.

Hmm, he´s just standing there.. He don´t put any pressure on the Brentford player at all.

But that said he´ll learn eventually, playing against a midlevel champonship team is just a start.

20 minutes ago, M13 said:

Hmm, he´s just standing there.. He don´t put any pressure on the Brentford player at all.

But that said he´ll learn eventually, playing against a midlevel champonship team is just a start.

I think the role he has been asked to play is at fault, if he was the advanced midfielder, he would have closed down the passer. But because he is asked to play deep, he chose to limit the passing lane whilst a player made a good run, it's not his game. It's WSW all over again, he will play better more advanced.

I was funnily enough there last night, been living out of Shrewsbury since march if anyone wants a low down of the game I'll be happy to give a detail report of his influence. But in short first half he was excellent was with a friend who couldn't believe how good a player was. But in the second half his influence seemed to decrease and was playing below par in terms of creativity and chances. But all in all was fantastic to watch him again.

• Like 4

So not sure how relevant this is, but saw an assessment on Pep's new tactics for city this coming season ==> http://www.mcfcwatch.com/2016/08/10/tactics-previewing-pep-guardiolas-first-season-at-city/

Makes for an interesting read, but of more relevance to this thread, the guy who compiled it, Tom Payne, works for Huddersfield Town as a football analyst. Might be worthwhile reaching out to him to get the inside scoop about Mooy's progression. 

His twitter handle is  @TomPayneftbl

• Like 1

I have my reservations on Pep's effectiveness as he has coached arguably the best 2 team lists in Europe.

Interesting read but nothing new. Time will tell I supposed.

Also pretty irrelevant for the A-league as there are high skill levels required for his systems with low error rates, especially with the defensive high press.

It will be interesting to see how many teams adopt the Ranieri defensive flood and counter system which effectively counteracts the possession type systems. The EPL will be interesting viewing this season from that point of view.

Ranieri's tactics are more suited for our league tbh.

Thanks for the link btw. Good read.

Edited by playmaker

12 minutes ago, playmaker said:

I have my reservations on Pep's effectiveness as he has coached arguably the best 2 team lists in Europe.

Interesting read but nothing new. Time will tell I supposed.

Also pretty irrelevant for the A-league as there are high skill levels required for his systems with low error rates, especially with the defensive high press.

It will be interesting to see how many teams adopt the Ranieri defensive flood and counter system which effectively counteracts the possession type systems. The EPL will be interesting viewing this season from that point of view.

Ranieri's tactics are more suited for our league tbh.

Thanks for the link btw. Good read.

I agree, I will be so happy if he gets found out in the prem.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jovan said:

Why? 

BecUse I think he's been spoon feed his entire career. His barca squad was the GOAT club side and his Bayern team was loaded with stars and had no real competition. I'd like to see the circle jerk over him fall flat. (Plus I'm a Jose fan boy)

1 hour ago, Jovan said:

Why? 

BecUse I think he's been spoon feed his entire career. His barca squad was the GOAT club side and his Bayern team was loaded with stars and had no real competition. I'd like to see the circle jerk over him fall flat. (Plus I'm a Jose fan boy)

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, thisphantomfortress said:

Why?

So you think he had no influence on building that Barca side and was because of the players.

What he did at Bayern was because of the teams he played against. 

I'm a big Jose fan although his pragmatic approach at times is hard to watch especially his Inter years. But to say Pep has been spoon fed is laughable.

He is probably  the most influential thinker over the past decade and has changed the game.

• Like 2