Melbourne Football

Week 18 - Melbourne v Visitards

Buddy Farah

anyone else think harry kewell was worthy of being runner up to goodwin for bog? :wacko:

What! Kewell was fucking useless. In fact, his work rate makes him a liability if he's not providing goals. They played better for a while after he was subbed off.

goodwin was great, I thought david had a goodgame and same to shroj. the biggest posive for me was our passing efficiancy in our attcks, with all the balls switching sides and going down the wings, only a very small amount did not get their man. Paul reid brilliant passing eficiency. These litttle things are important and it helped us create a lot more chances.

Shroj back and we keep a clean sheet, he's the link we need in front of out CBs, also covered for Goodwin at LB when he pushed up, Colosimo did well but him n JVS were yelling at each other the whole game, anyone else see that?

Certainly did. I'm right behind the Heart bench. There was a break in play during the second half when Colosimo went to the sideline and JvS was serving it right up to him, and Colosimo didn't even look him in the face. Body language said it all. From JvS' gestures it was about Colosimo not moving the ball forwards quickly enough.

Overall I thought this was a great game. Not disappointed at all with the result. Lots of positives for us. IMO we tend to be too critical of some of our boys. They know what mistakes they've made, and that's what the coaching panel is there for - to hep them and develop them into better players. Jeez, lay off Eli Babalj a bit - yes, he held the ball too long, but he hasn't yet turned 20 for goodness' sake. And who else do we happen to have for that position? Worm, Srhoj and Sarkies all worked and worked and worked. All the Worm-haters out there ought to realise he actually got poor service from Marrone last night - Marrone keeps turning inside and not feeding his winger. Good was superb. Reid's cameo was a gem - reckon we should look seriously at him for next year. Williams is still work in progress but he certainly lifted a notch last night. Let's start looking at some positives - Rome was not built in a day. And look at the crowd - only 200 short of the Christmas derby and more and more red and white around the stadium. The club is growing.

But the night belonged to Craig Goodwin. A credit to the young man himself, his coaches, his team-mates and the club that he could play his first match in the seniors, go the full 94 minutes, fit seamlessly into the team as if he'd played there all his life, and be the man-of-the-match. Congratulations Craig.

• Like 3

Good one jw. I thought we actually played well but we all know football is about goals. Germano's first half header goes in and its a different story.

I do think Marrone needs to lift - he seems to be trading off his reputation at present-might mean he is playing with an injury? Either way he's not having the impact we'd like (and expect). Whatever it is he will want to sort it out before Aziz comes back (am thinking Behich on the left, Goodwin on the right).

I thought Wormy put in a good shift- you can tell he's not used to getting 90 minutes though, which is a bit of a problem.

In regards to Goodwin it never ceases to amaze me that supposedly experienced football people can look at a kid like that and think he's no good! (I'm thinking of Adelaide United here). It was the same with Michael Zullo- various people "surprised" when he got a contract (and then proceeds to shred his opposition on debut). At times I despair about football in this country. Oh well, if we can spot the bleeding obvious but others can't it it augurs well for our club's future.

BTW Colosimo at the back makes a big difference- defence is one place where you need a cool experienced head to act as the general. We'd lacked that and that was why we were coughing up so many soft goals.

Defense held well all night. I told youse all Good>Hamill ;). Shroj looked good, Germano was solid all night playing in a more Fred-esque role. Babalj was disappointing for me, thought he could have done better.

That Sarkies miss killed me. Worst part was the ball almost hitting me FFS.

Highlights-

First time @ Impy, I'll definitely be back for moar.

Stuart MacGill.

Fat slag trying to biff cunts outside AAMI Park.

Drunk Vic-Tree flog outside the stadium after the game having to be told that we won more games in December than they have all season. Just to shut him up.

Stuart Macgill.

Craig Goodwin.

what was the deal with that Asian cheer squad last night, good on them for trying but where are they from?

Their tee-shirts had the 'AXF' logo on the back - AXF is one of Heart's 'partners' - see http://www.footballa...art/ourpartners and http://axfgroup.com.au/. The little triangular signs around the Heart's bench and technical area carry their logo.

Good to see these young people supporting the Heart. Melbourne is a very international city, and we come here from all over the world. Huge potential for both financial and grass-roots support, as well as players, for the Heart by forging links with our various communities.

Edited by jw1739

I had a chat to them and they're lovely people who enjoyed the game. I got their contact details so that we can 'educate' them a bit more. The more the merrier, they certainly were enthusiastic, which is great.

Shroj - when we don't have him, we miss his defensive work. His distribution is patchy at times but we're a better team for having him on the field.

• Like 1

I had a chat to them and they're lovely people who enjoyed the game. I got their contact details so that we can 'educate' them a bit more. The more the merrier, they certainly were enthusiastic, which is great.

Shroj - when we don't have him, we miss his defensive work. His distribution is patchy at times but we're a better team for having him on the field.

Can I say Ando, well done mate. Honestly great to see you go over to them and make them feel part of it and invite them into the Yarraside.

Fantastic stuff. This is what is needed. Core Yarraside guys going out and getting people more involved. This was an opportunity and you went and spoke to them and invited them.

What makes Melbourne so great is its diversity. I follow AFL also and was reading in the Mercury that Richmond are getting involved in the Indian community. Listening to what their CEO is saying is that there are so many of Indians in the community who are passionate about sport its a no brainer. This is what we should do also. Indian, Chinese, African whatever, it doesn't matter. The club should be reaching out and in turn core supporters (not just Yarraside) should be doing exactly what Ando did. But the more people you get involved in the Yarraside the better cause Yarraside is the basis of what all supporters see. You are the colour and sound and create the image of MHFC. RWU have a vital part to play too.

Well done Ando. Nice to hear.

BTW, think every Heart supporter in the ground loved the Yarraside banners just before KO. Well done everyone.

we prove time and time again that we can keep up with the best teams and turn up on big events....mariners and roar (don't know what happened with Phoenix though!) and victory.

victory are just a very ordinary side. whilst i'm happy with our performance last night - i'm a little gutted that we didn't whip those Victory 'old hats'. need more success in the box. We definitely have a moral win.

With the addition of Goodwin, just shows how much depth we really have. We seem to be getting heaps of "thumbs up" by all (even Victory supporters). The media is paying attention and we are the envy of our competitors.

I agree that we need a box player than can finish. Of course we had one last year but he retired. Eli plays higher up the field and can hold the ball well, in a way he's almost more comfortable being a false 9 than a true striker. The other problem is that both wings deliver poor final balls, whether it's Marrone & Mate of Aziz & Worm, deliver balls too early before we have a player there or too late when there are too many defenders. This is just a matter of training park practice.

It must also be clear to every defender in the league that if we slowly build up and they have time to get 6 defenders into the box that we are unlikely to score as we aren't able to break down teams that sit deep and pack the box. we have few shots from distance that are likely to draw out defenders. We are very poor at corners and from memory we only scored 1 goal from a corner last season, 1 this season. We'd be better just playing the ball out like Roar do rather than waste the ball trying to score from headed balls.

Hell All,

Just want to introduce myself. Heart fan since the start, member this season, along with my son and dad.

Must say well done to the Yarraside for their efforts in the derby. The club is getting more Heart fans on board every derby, good to see. Great day, great atmosphere.

Read through this thread from start to finish

Like everyone else I was impressed with the kid at left back. Nice skills and tricks, needs to work on his crossing, but great debut. Credit it to the club that he seemlessly settled in to his role, obviously the "system" is the same from seniors to youth.

My impressions:

We deserved a win but didn't take our chances. Sarkies..Other than that miss Sarkies was actually quite good, as was Germano. Shroj..hmmm..decent but I find it hard to believe a player can have so little awareness to get his pocket picked that many times in the one game. Reid was good too. Not fussed Thompson is missing TBH.

We build too slowly from the back, and we choose the back pass to the 'keeper more often than is needed. On the topic of the keeper, is the club any closer to replacing Bolton? I don't think my dad's heart could take another season with Bolton..

Agree about the comments re: Babalj. He takes on far too many. I actually don't think he is a team player. He plays to score..for himself. So many times a simple lay off was an option but, no, he wants to go it alone. For a big target man didn't win a single header today, but rarely does. And he's attitude.. maybe he's starting to believe his own hype. He's a talent but he needs to be taken down a peg or two by the seniors.

Worm and Marrone don't partner as well as they did: Marrone seems to AVOID Worm and deliberately cuts inside too often for my liking. Both had so-so games. Rutger's effort was first class though, chased back when he had to, had a torrid afternoon against Fabio, who had the better if him in the end.

Bring on the Jets

• Like 1