Melbourne Football

The Jason Hoffman Appreciation thread

Ando

I think Hoffman could be a decent option for us at RB, but I think he would be a much better option as a wing back, especially as a somewhat more attacking wing back (eg Juventus) which is actually quite a hard role to have the right skillset for but can turn an average player into a quite valuable player if they do posses the required skills.

In b4 Hoffman becomes a key player.

In all seriousness we actually do have four Center Halves which means we could actually play with a back three (Wielaert, Paddy K, Paddy G)  and two wing backs in Aziz and Hoff...

But that would be simply Undutch and therefore currently Unaustralian.

Aloisi is Italian, surely he won't be able to resist trying to play with wing backs for too long.

Actually got to confess I don't understand the "Hoff Hate" we see on this forum.  No way do I see him as anywhere near as bad as people carry on.  From what I've seen of him so far, he appears to be a decent player who is not quite good enough to be a regular A league starter.  Given his age, that means i was surprised when we re-signed him and shocked when he was preferred over Walker.

Having said that, and ignoring the "photos in the drawer theory", if he's been preferred over Walker he has to be killing it at training.  So let's wait and see if that can convert to games. 

Hoff had his best game for Heart i thought.  Only problems was the brain snap throw in, apart from that he did a great job (mind you having guys like Wielhart, Kisnorbo & Miges around you would give you a lot of confidence).  CCM played into his hands I thought by continuing to go into the air to his wing- his height made those "attacks" meat and drink. 

IMO Hoff had a solid game. He presented himself as a viable option time and time again out wide in the first half right in front of where I sit, but instead we chose to use the LW more often. We need to develop the same sort of combination on the right as we already have on the left. That's all.

I'll concur with otheres here

He was solid enough, thoughs gets caught out in no mans land a few times,

my gripe is that he is offering no option as an overlapping fullback

CCM had the overlapping FB down the right making Aziz work overtime all match, Hoff just doesnt( at the moment) seem to offer that option for us , Walker does.

I'm no Hoff fan but from a tactical view point I can see his role. He's a defensive full-back and has done the job.

It's clear Aloisi and co determined that last season we were left exposed with two attacking full backs so we've gone with a different approach. No goals from open play in the first two shows it's working iMO.

Edited by Mstrkrft

I agree that his game was better yesterday but I'm still mystified why he's preferred over Jez Walker who defends better and has more to offer offensively.

I think because JA is a conservative coach, who when faced with a choice will choose someone he thinks is more mature. Would you expect anything else from someone who played for the Socceroos, a team that is harder to get out of than to get into? He's also trying to hang on to his job.

What we need to be careful of for the future is that we don't lose our up-and-coming players because they are being stifled of opportunity. If you look at our current first-choice team, only Redmayne, Murdocca and Ramsay are contracted for next season.

Behich is on loan, and is due to return to Bursaspor next season. Migliorini is on a short-term contract. Hoffman, Kisnorbo, Wielaert, Mifsud and Kewell are on one-year contracts. Hoffman, Gerhardt, GolGol, Dugandzic and Williams are in the final season of their contracts.

Incidentally, I believe that Velaphi, Kalmar, Germano, Walker, Vrankovic, Mauk and Garuccio also come out of contract at the end of this current season. Not sure on Mitchinson.

Edited by jw1739

Hoffman was solid, but I agree there were times he was very out of position. Its a hard position to play, so it will take time, and I think JA wants to see him learn the role first and then let me have more freedom to attack later. That may happen, but may not depending on hos he goes I guess.

JW deserves to be playing though. Trying to mould JH into the role is odd when theres already a player who has proven he is at that level already.

I'm no Hoff fan but from a tactical view point I can see his role. He's a defensive full-back and has done the job.

It's clear Aloisi and co determined that last season we were left exposed with two attacking full backs so we've gone with a different approach. No goals from open play in the first two shows it's working iMO.

There are plenty of other tactical options (that most other teams use) that provide defensive cover when the full backs are attacking. They allow the team to stay balanced in attack and defence rather than create a situation where we are outnumbered in attack or in defence