Melbourne Football

Andrew Nabbout

Harrison

21 minutes ago, fensaddler said:

And critically, the club is talking in the release about a front three of Leckie, Nabbout and Maclaren. Straws in the wind, but it doesn't sound like Jamie is leaving.

Any info yet on what the cap might be? Perhaps clubs already know? 

26 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

Now I’m most excited about which gun midfielder we are going to bring to replace Luna and Berenguer, if feel that is where we can still improve. Luna is alright, works hard but is missing the cutting finesse part.

I have my doubts we'll mix it up too much. I mean we were the best side by Flemington once we got going this season so the club may well think that securing what we've got and keeping the group together might be the best strategy.
I get where you're coming from with respect to Flo & Luna, but maybe its better the devil you know. Certainly appears that our increased stability over the last couple years has worked in our favour.
It also seems likely that Leckie and Maclaren will be our designated marquees, and presumably Nabbout is on a decentish wicket. I'm not sure there'll be heaps left in the cap to go out and nab a star midfielder, esp when you consider what we've got is working well.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, bt50 said:

I have my doubts we'll mix it up too much. I mean we were the best side by Flemington once we got going this season so the club may well think that securing what we've got and keeping the group together might be the best strategy.
I get where you're coming from with respect to Flo & Luna, but maybe its better the devil you know. Certainly appears that our increased stability over the last couple years has worked in our favour.
It also seems likely that Leckie and Maclaren will be our designated marquees, and presumably Nabbout is on a decentish wicket. I'm not sure there'll be heaps left in the cap to go out and nab a star midfielder, esp when you consider what we've got is working well.

I’m thinking that the cap will be higher this year back to old levels. Leckie and Jmac out of the cap for sure. Their combined wages must be worth something, Luna and Florin that is. 

11 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

I’m thinking that the cap will be higher this year back to old levels. Leckie and Jmac out of the cap for sure. Their combined wages must be worth something, Luna and Florin that is. 

i think first thing that would be worth noting is that even if the cap goes up, the wages wont stay the same. Like if im a Griffiths or a Metcalfe and i took a 10% paycut in good faith to keep the squad together during COVID, then im also thinking that if the cap is restored my wage should go back to its initial agreed upon value too.
We could def let Luna and Flo go and try to sign a 300-400k midfielder but is that worth giving up a formula we know works for a stab in the dark? When you consider the amount of flops this league has seen in those pay brackets over the years, probably not for me.

Edited by bt50
  • Like 1

It's ironic isn't it that both Nabbout and Atkinson had signed for Perth, but COVID-19 stepped in...

On the subject of Luna I think people may tend to underrate him a bit because he's not a flashy player. He works hard, is not shot-shy, and some of his passing has been exquisite - I can't remember the goals now but a couple have come from inch-perfect Luna passes. I don't think we would do any better elsewhere.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jw1739 said:

It's ironic isn't it that both Nabbout and Atkinson had signed for Perth, but COVID-19 stepped in...

On the subject of Luna I think people may tend to underrate him a bit because he's not a flashy player. He works hard, is not shot-shy, and some of his passing has been exquisite - I can't remember the goals now but a couple have come from inch-perfect Luna passes. I don't think we would do any better elsewhere.

Agree that we wont do much better for the same money, not when retaining the chemistry level that we currently have.
Agreeing twice in five minutes, must be a solar eclipse or something :D  

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, bt50 said:

i think first thing that would be worth noting is that even if the cap goes up, the wages wont stay the same. Like if im a Griffiths or a Metcalfe and i took a 10% paycut in good faith to keep the squad together during COVID, then im also thinking that if the cap is restored my wage should go back to its initial agreed upon value too.
We could def let Luna and Flo go and try to sign a 300-400k midfielder but is that worth giving up a formula we know works for a stab in the dark? When you consider the amount of flops this league has seen in those pay brackets over the years, probably not for me.

Whilst, I would like to keep Luna, as others have pointed out (quite possibly yourself), he may be on the way out purely for family reasons. If this is the case, I don't think anyone can begrudge him.

Just now, malloy said:

Whilst, I would like to keep Luna, as others have pointed out (quite possibly yourself), he may be on the way out purely for family reasons. If this is the case, I don't think anyone can begrudge him.

Oh not at all, and it may well be that if Luna opts to leave then Flo goes too to free up cap space given that most people would view him as the first choice bench/backup option rather than starter.
I spose all things being equal though, my preference is to maintain what we've got than to chase the golden snitch

45 minutes ago, bt50 said:

Agree that we wont do much better for the same money, not when retaining the chemistry level that we currently have.
Agreeing twice in five minutes, must be a solar eclipse or something :D  

Just a sign of a successful season!

1 hour ago, bt50 said:

TWG reporting that a further two players may be able to be outside the cap for next season.

• Like 1

Great news!

Nabbout has been a revelation this season. I’ve said it before but his effect was enormous. He was the catalyst for our upswing in results. He gave us exactly what we needed and have lacked for quite a while: power, pace, directness and a bit of trickery.

A Melbourne-born player too, can’t ask for much more. 

9 minutes ago, malloy said:

TWG reporting that a further two players may be able to be outside the cap for next season.

Interesting, weird how it states the designated player v the marquee roles as different when as far as i can tell they are exactly the same thing. Not to be confused with the guest and previous marquee guest slots that had to meet FFA criterion.
Perhaps theyre looking at tightening the marquee rule up a bit again to seek names?

Edited by bt50

Ok so, Leckie and Nabbout on the wings. I think that makes our chances of holding Jmac pretty slim and means Noone is gone. 

Its definitely win overall but does it also mean that Tilio gets itchy feet? He 100% deserves to start every week for an A-league team.

Edited by HeartFc

2 hours ago, Jovan said:

Just wait, probably means Noone is heading home, which is a big loss IMO.

Definitely gone for Leckie.

I would have been happy to keep Craig on a 1 year deal, as I think he’s been a great asset, thinking that Tilio could fight for the spot and Craig’s experience would be a benefit to Tilio and the squad in general.

Leckie is another level. I wonder what Tilio makes of all this though?  He’d be first choice anywhere else.

54 minutes ago, HeartFc said:

Ok so, Leckie and Nabbout on the wings. I think that makes our chances of holding Jmac pretty slim and means Noone is gone. 

Its definitely win overall but does it also mean that Tilio gets itchy feet? He 100% deserves to start every week for an A-league team.

Not sure I'd agree re JMac, given the relaxed cap rules and the noises being made by the club about our front three for next season. I think we may be right about Noone. Tilio may feel hard done by, but he will get starts and game time because of injuries and form, and he's got a hell of an apprenticeship there. He is after all only a young player breaking in. Sure he could start at a lesser team, or play for the best team, his choice.

Worth noting, whether its Noone, Nabbout or Tilio as the first choice bench player, that the best starting three takes to the pitch less often than not be it due to injury, suspension or form so there will always be plenty of opportunity for that first cab off the rank. I'd suggest that of our 26 games this season our theoretical front three of Noone, Maclaren and Nabbout has probably started only 10 or so games together.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, fensaddler said:

Not sure I'd agree re JMac, given the relaxed cap rules and the noises being made by the club about our front three for next season. I think we may be right about Noone. Tilio may feel hard done by, but he will get starts and game time because of injuries and form, and he's got a hell of an apprenticeship there. He is after all only a young player breaking in. Sure he could start at a lesser team, or play for the best team, his choice.

Tillio was an attacking midfielder during youth days so maybe he can get his fitness levels to be in the midfield or up front versatility will help him!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, haz said:

Any info yet on what the cap might be? Perhaps clubs already know? 

Cap will be 2.5m As well as that your allowed 2 marquees and 2 other players outside the cap on 300-600k.  IMO I would say Leckie, Maclaren marquees and Nabbout on the 300-600k. 

Edited by CityBoyz

14 minutes ago, CityBoyz said:

Cap will be 2.5m As well as that your allowed 2 marquees and 2 other players outside the cap on 300-600k.  IMO I would say Leckie, Maclaren marquees and Nabbout on the 300-600k. 

I like this, helps clubs retain top talent within the league (i.e. Nabbout) and also bringing in new top talent who lift the standard of the league (i.e. likes of Davila, Hemed, Danzaki) who mightn't be marquee level from the outset (i.e. Davila) if at all (i.e. Hemed).

2 minutes ago, Deluka said:

I like this, helps clubs retain top talent within the league (i.e. Nabbout) and also bringing in new top talent who lift the standard of the league (i.e. likes of Davila, Hemed, Danzaki) who mightn't be marquee level from the outset (i.e. Davila) if at all (i.e. Hemed).

Does this mean designated players cannot be foreign?

6 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

Does this mean designated players cannot be foreign?

Not clear. But since its been dubbed the David Beckham rule relating to MLS experience, it sounds as if designated players, like marquees, can be either domestic or foreign. But I assume the visa limit of five will remain.

Edited by fensaddler

I would have thought that if "designated players" are the same as "marquee players" other than for the amount that they can be paid ($300,000 to $600,000 versus unlimited/unspecified) then there would be no point in having a different name for them. So if you go over the cap by $250,000 on one player he's a "marquee," if in the $300,00-$600,000 range he's "designated" and if over $600,000 he's "marquee" again?

Maybe APL is re-introducing the concept of approving some or all expenditures over the cap?

4 hours ago, fensaddler said:

I sure hope I'm wrong! That front 3 might end up putting together a better season than the legendary Ninkovic/Adrian/Bobo season. 46 goals is the mark to beat. 

28 minutes ago, HeartFc said:

I sure hope I'm wrong! That front 3 might end up putting together a better season than the legendary Ninkovic/Adrian/Bobo season. 46 goals is the mark to beat. 

Interestingly the Mooy/Novillo/Fornaroli combination in 2015/16 scored 2 less goals that season in the A-league (44 goals total) however, they managed it in a combined 72 appearances vs a combined 75 appearances for the Sydney trio.

When taking into account all Australian competitions (FFA cup and A-league finals, but excl. AFC CL), they only scored 1 goal less (56 v 57), however the City trio had a combined 85 appearances compared to Sydney's v 91 combined appearances.

Given the above I would say the true benchmark is the Holy Trinity.

What makes their achievement more impressive is that we had a much weaker overall squad in our respective year (finishing 4th in a largely lacklustre season across the board where the winner of the league won with 49 points) compared to Sydney who won the league in 2017/18 (by an impressive 14 points - total of 64 - and with a goal difference of 42) and also won the FFA cup.

Starting him was odd but is there much of a difference between starting a player and bringing them on for half an hour at the end? Maybe. The pace of the game is slower but it's more transitional. At the start we're trying to set the tempo with our press, which takes a lot of effort. I can see both sides here, and if the doctor/physio thought he was at no extra risk, and Nabbout himself felt comfortable, then fair enough. We can sit here now and say it was dumb but he could've done that motion at 90 minutes or in the first minute.

30 minutes ago, Harrison said:

Starting him was odd but is there much of a difference between starting a player and bringing them on for half an hour at the end? Maybe. The pace of the game is slower but it's more transitional. At the start we're trying to set the tempo with our press, which takes a lot of effort. I can see both sides here, and if the doctor/physio thought he was at no extra risk, and Nabbout himself felt comfortable, then fair enough. We can sit here now and say it was dumb but he could've done that motion at 90 minutes or in the first minute.

For us it was a sudden inclusion and therefore seems risky. But if we were to find out that he has already been training for weeks and pulled up strong and all precautionary measures were taken then I don't think it is a risky move at all. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Imtellingyou said:

We still need a very good alternative because we won't last the entire season. 

If PK makes better use of substitutes I think he can. We've got to be strong enough, especially mentally, to be 2-0 up by 70-75 minutes and then make good use of subs. At the moment, as we demonstrated at the end of the season, we're not. The Premiership was won on the back of that extraordinary run of 15 matches. 

1 minute ago, jw1739 said:

If PK makes better use of substitutes I think he can. We've got to be strong enough, especially mentally, to be 2-0 up by 70-75 minutes and then make good use of subs. At the moment, as we demonstrated at the end of the season, we're not. The Premiership was won on the back of that extraordinary run of 15 matches. 

You mean bringing Benny on every game at 70minutes on the LW? Haha

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Mr MO said:

You mean bringing Benny on every game at 70minutes on the LW? Haha

Er, no...! I think the opposite is what I mean. If PK has a problem right now in his coaching career is that Plan B is merely to resolve to work harder at Plan A. He has to develop a Plan B that is more tailored to the opposition. 

Although, as I have confessed, I am a lousy analyst...

• Like 1