Melbourne Football

Andrew Nabbout

Harrison

23 minutes ago, IssySG said:

File under: things said about all visa players Victory sign and very seldom true

But if this guy signs he would be in the top 10/15 of highest profile players ever to play in the A-League.

Bar David Villa City have never signed a player of that caliber. People who say otherwise are just jealous in my opinion, we would be very excited if he signed for us.

Edited by Mr MO

Just now, jw1739 said:

I think I'd hold it longer for Mirallas  than I would for Nabbout.

As a player? Absolutely, he'd go really well down here. I just can't see that he's coming here. The whole thing is based on an MV social media guy liking their pages. Big bow drawn imo.

Nabbout is a great signing, even if it is for the reported $400k. 

This is the guy who was our starting striker in a World Cup two years ago, can play anywhere across the front three, is pacy, good with the ball and provides pressure, and even in a bad year scored 8 goals in a truly shite side that didn't suit him at all. 

At the very least he is a huge upgrade on Wales and offers an option to take pressure off Maclaren, at best he is a dangerous winger who can both provide and score goals. If we could sign the equivalent player as a VISA we would be ecstatic, so to get him as not just an Australian but a Melbourne boy is a big win. 

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, bt50 said:

As a player? Absolutely, he'd go really well down here. I just can't see that he's coming here. The whole thing is based on an MV social media guy liking their pages. Big bow drawn imo.

Sorry I actually thought that some of meant that Mirrales would be seen as a flop signing.

17 minutes ago, The Aardvark said:

Nabbout is a great signing, even if it is for the reported $400k. 

This is the guy who was our starting striker in a World Cup two years ago, can play anywhere across the front three, is pacy, good with the ball and provides pressure, and even in a bad year scored 8 goals in a truly shite side that didn't suit him at all. 

At the very least he is a huge upgrade on Wales and offers an option to take pressure off Maclaren, at best he is a dangerous winger who can both provide and score goals. If we could sign the equivalent player as a VISA we would be ecstatic, so to get him as not just an Australian but a Melbourne boy is a big win. 

Imagine having two of those wingers, one on each side!

I think this "border restriction" issue is a furphy for both Atkinson and Nabbout, and I think Perth are using it as an smokescreen for not honouring the signed contracts now that there is uncertainty over the CBA and the cap etc. The league won't be able to go ahead next season anyway if there are border restrictions still in place, and it won't matter where players are from - what will count is where they are located as footballers.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jw1739 said:

I think this "border restriction" issue is a furphy for both Atkinson and Nabbout, and I think Perth are using it as an smokescreen for not honouring the signed contracts now that there is uncertainty over the CBA and the cap etc. 

I am 100% certain that this is the case for Atkinson. Worst case scenario for him is that city presented an offer that has included a 10% wage cut to a contract. Perth cant' match that at all and are in the vicinity of 30 - 50% wage cuts. An opportunistic contract exit was seized upon by Atkinson. At the time he signed for Perth he wasnt playing in the first XI. Fast forward 5 months and he was firmly in City's plans and probably regretted the perth agreemen. In addition the Perth coach who signed him has left. That was also probably a concern for him as he may not have been favoured by the new coach. 

Glad he stayed and hopefully can keep up the standard he reached in late finals series. 

Nabbout issues different with his Family circumstances etc. i still think he is an upgrade on Noone and Wales. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, jw1739 said:

I think this "border restriction" issue is a furphy for both Atkinson and Nabbout, and I think Perth are using it as an smokescreen for not honouring the signed contracts now that there is uncertainty over the CBA and the cap etc. The league won't be able to go ahead next season anyway if there are border restrictions still in place, and it won't matter where players are from - what will count is where they are located as footballers.

I found the border rationale confusing. Surely they had quarantine options, for both them and their families (well Nabbouts anyway). Like you I assumed it was really about money and Perth reneging on contractual terms; but hey I’m just guessing. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Shahanga said:

I found the border rationale confusing. Surely they had quarantine options, for both them and their families (well Nabbouts anyway). Like you I assumed it was really about money and Perth reneging on contractual terms; but hey I’m just guessing. 

The way Atkinson worded his tweet after the GF ("we will be back") and then had to change it almost makes me think that he'd forgotten he had signed something with Perth. Who knows. But really it's great to have him continuing on  - he could become our longest-serving player.

Edited by jw1739
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, jw1739 said:

The way Atkinson worded his tweet after the GF ("we will be back") and then had to change it almost makes me think that he'd forgotten he had signed something with Perth. Who knows. But really it's great to have him continuing on  - he could become our longest-serving player.

If you include the academy years, Metcalfe is our longest serving player. Both players contracts expire in the same season  21/22. 

• 3 months later...
30 minutes ago, Deluka said:

Has anyone heard how bad the injury is?

I suspect we'll keep him on the sidelines longer as a precaution due to it being a recurring injury, the postponement of games means he won't miss as many games as he otherwise would have which is a positive.

Have just seen the club post that he'll be sidelined for 6 weeks.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
45 minutes ago, Shahanga said:

You wouldn’t bet against it.

Been absolutely sensational since he came back and is still improving every game. 

Yeah who would have though if a club treats him with a bit of respect, he could be such a good player?

2 hours ago, jw1739 said:

A few goals will make him a very complete player. To think I wrote him off after seeing against Bentleigh Greens...!

Only on a one-year contract.

He must have been on one leg that night or sick or something. 

Everytime I’ve seen him play (before city) I’ve been impressed, hence my positivity of his signing.

4 minutes ago, Shahanga said:

He must have been on one leg that night or sick or something. 

Everytime I’ve seen him play (before city) I’ve been impressed, hence my positivity of his signing.

My recollection is that he was overweight.

Edited by jw1739
  • Like 1

He looks like the player he was when he was at Newcastle. He is an absolute athlete who I'd say can struggle with his fitness and possibly weight if everything isn't 100% right. What were doing is obviously working and he said that after the derby win. I don't want to make it about Victory, but I don't think their medical staff know what they are doing so Nabbout was never going to flourish there